How much to budget for a week long vacation for 2?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

How much to budget for a week long vacation for 2?

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:14 am

A friend and I were discussing how much you put in a budget for the average nice week long vacation for 2 (obviously it will vary trip to trip). I was interested in the answer because in retirement I am budgeting for several of these a year and would like to double check my assumption. My answer was $6,000 based on current prices for a specific type of trip we would take. His answer was $8,000-$10,000 based on a general feeling but admitted it was probably skewed because all his recent experience had included children. What number do you use when budgeting for vacations in retirement?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

RickBoglehead

Re: How much to budget for a week long vacation for 2?

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:18 am

I don't see how this is even answerable. A trip for 2 to Hawaii costs more than a trip for 2 to Yellowstone. A trip via car or motorhome costs less than a trip via airfare with rental car. A trip in a rented RV is different than a trip with airfare, rental car, and hotel. A stay at a nice Hampton Inn is much less expensive than a stay at a Hilton.

I'd suggest since this is for long term budgeting, you simply pick some locations and look at costs 4+ months out, i.e. airfare, rental car, hotel, etc. For very rough numbers for travel in the US I'd use $500pp airfare, $75 per day rental car, $200 per day hotel, $150 per day food, and $100 per day extras - but again, that's just ballparking it. A cruise would blow this out of the water.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Miguelito

Post by Miguelito » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:24 am

Where you are going makes a difference. So does how well you want to travel. Same for when.

Example: You can fly to Europe for $1000-1200 a ticket (from the Northeast), or pay $1500+ (still coach) per ticket if you want a direct flight on a good airline.

You can spend $200 on a room for something "OK" to maybe "kinda nice" or you can spend $500. You can spend $70 on a meal on a sit down meal vs. $150+. You can rent a car for $50 a day or $100/day.

As a rough starting point for an above average vacation, I'd go with ~$400 a day and then add transportation (flights/taxis/rentals/trains/etc.).

But there are huge variables: Souvenirs, tickets for shows, SPA's, museum fees, other services, tickets for rides, etc. all can add massively to the cost. As an example, look at at a trip to Disney World and/or Universal Orlando. The park tickets are a huge expense. So is food in the parks.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:37 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:14 am
A friend and I were discussing how much you put in a budget for the average nice week long vacation for 2 (obviously it will vary trip to trip). I was interested in the answer because in retirement I am budgeting for several of these a year and would like to double check my assumption. My answer was $6,000 based on current prices for a specific type of trip we would take. His answer was $8,000-$10,000 based on a general feeling but admitted it was probably skewed because all his recent experience had included children. What number do you use when budgeting for vacations in retirement?
As noted in the OP I am looking for what people are using in their retirement budgeting/planning. Obviously this is not the value of any specific trip but a generic average to be used for ballparking. Looking for answers from people have included this item in budgeting for retirement expenses, which probably won't be everyone. Thanks.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 am

Really? Obviously, It depends on where you are going, whether airfare is included and which class, what quality of hotels you like, cost of any tours, transportation or other activities.

Having said that, our trips generally cost in the range of $2,000-$3,000 per day for two of us. Clearly this is higher than most and can be done for much less. Europe generally costs more than Asia. US varies a lot. Anywhere from Aman to Best Western. Not sure how this could be very useful to you? I suspect most people start with a total dollar amount for their annual travel plan. Then fit trips in to this amount framework.
Last edited by SQRT on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am

SQRT wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 am
Really? Obviously, It depends on where you are going, whether airfare is included and which class, what quality of hotels you like, cost of any tours, transportation or other activities.

Having said that, our trips generally cost in the range of $2,000 per day. Clearly this is higher than most and can be done for much less. Europe generally costs more than Asia. US varies a lot. Anywhere from Aman to Best Western. Not sure how this could be very useful to you?
My hope here was by collecting a wide range of answers from diverse individuals I could come to a number suitable for budgeting. There is no correct answer, just what you would utilize. I am more looking to verify my assumption if my assumption of $6,000 is realistic or definitely now expecting any one poster to give me a magic bullet. Let's just say I have a belief a pattern will emerge and I will be able to identify it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 am

So how much did YOU spend on your last 5 vacations per week per 2 people?

I will make 3 trips of more than a week backpacking this year and will go visit my sibling at their beach house, too. I already have all the equipment, so that is no additional cost. Food costs about the same as staying at home. I use FF miles or get somebody else to pay my airfare if I connect the trip to a side hustle. Thus my incremental cost for 4 vacations is virtually nil.

I don't bother to budget I just go.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:02 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am
SQRT wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 am

Having said that, our trips generally cost in the range of $2,000 per day. Clearly this is higher than most and can be done for much less. Europe generally costs more than Asia. US varies a lot. Anywhere from Aman to Best Western. Not sure how this could be very useful to you?
My hope here was by collecting a wide range of answers from diverse individuals I could come to a number suitable for budgeting. There is no correct answer, just what you would utilize. I am more looking to verify my assumption if my assumption of $6,000 is realistic or definitely now expecting any one poster to give me a magic bullet. Let's just say I have a belief a pattern will emerge and I will be able to identify it.
Ok but surely, there is a such wide range of travel spending here? Really depends on the type of travel you are planning. I suspect planning your trips from the bottom up, ie using the type of hotels, locations, travel mode, etc would work much better. Also, once you have done a few trips you will get better at planning them. My spouse is our travel planner and analizes every trip after the fact. Interesting to compare the cost per day over our 12 years of retirement.
Last edited by SQRT on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:03 am

$3000 total.
- $500 or a bit more for flights
- $1500 for accommodations. (I've had great luck renting out other people's timeshares at Westins, Marriotts, Hyatts)
- $1000 for food, drink, etc. (Because we get places with kitchens, we only eat out once or twice a day. I hate eating (paying for) 3 meals a day in a restaurant)

We've also gone on great all-inclusive trips to Mexico, Caribbean for under $3000 total.

MJS

Post by MJS » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 am

When you're retired, you can vacation during the off- or shoulder season. You're probably a member of AAA, AARP, CostCo or other discount travel services. You probably own luggage, travel clothes, and sufficient numbers of souvenir glasses. Clearly, travel will be cheaper.

When you're retired, you might want to visit more luxurious locations. You might want to fly business or first class. You might want to stay for 6 weeks instead of just two. Perhaps you like fine dining or one of you doesn't want to cook during vacation, so meals are more expensive. Clearly, travel will be more expensive.

CostCo has a 12 day round trip Caribbean cruise for two for $1200 (2nd person is half-off.)
CostCo has a 14 day trans-Atlantic cruise for two for $13,000 (plus return air fare from Rome for 2.)

The average is roughly $7000.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:10 am

My opinion would be $2,000 and up for a week. The low end of the spectrum assumes the destination is within driving distance, the hotel room is sub-$150 a night, and daily event tickets are not needed (e.g., week at the beach vs a week skiing).

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 am
So how much did YOU spend on your last 5 vacations per week per 2 people?

I will make 3 trips of more than a week backpacking this year and will go visit my sibling at their beach house, too. I already have all the equipment, so that is no additional cost. Food costs about the same as staying at home. I use FF miles or get somebody else to pay my airfare if I connect the trip to a side hustle. Thus my incremental cost for 4 vacations is virtually nil.

I am not using my last X vacations because I am assuming with the greater flexibility provided by retirement I will have an ability to effect costs. The budgeting it done for planning not liability matching purposes. As long as one of us is working the issue of cost within reason is moot but I am trying to look forward to the day we are retired.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:18 am

livesoft wrote:
Same here.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 am

Low end, under $2k, high end, $4k.

My family of 4 plans to take a week this summer. I expect the total is going to be well under $2k. This will include downhill bike rental, boat rental, maybe zip line, hotel, travel expenses and food. I'd like to rent a Harley for a day, but that would exclude the rest of the family.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:37 am
As noted in the OP I am looking for what people are using in their retirement budgeting/planning. Obviously this is not the value of any specific trip but a generic average to be used for ballparking. Looking for answers from people have included this item in budgeting for retirement expenses, which probably won't be everyone. Thanks.
I am retired. Budgeting "per week" makes no sense and it isn't how I budget my trips. This year I've been on week-long trips that cost $500 and week-long trips that cost $3,000. There's no meaningful "average". A week in the Maldives is not the same as a week in Can Tho. I mean, I can go to the same island, Phu Quoc, and pay $400 a night at the JW Marriott and eat in their restaurants where meals are $30++ per person or spend $35 a night at The Naked Table hotel and eat street food for $2 a person.

Instead I budget an amount of money. e.g. "$30,000 next year on vacations". Then I decide what that will get me for my budget. I usually mix up a combination of cheap (stuff in Southeast Asia) and expensive (a month in Iceland during peak season) in the course of a year. There are a handful of bigger lifetime trips that are so expensive I'd need to plan them with a bit more care -- things like trips to Antarctica and whatnot.

Whenever I feel like I've spent a lot of money in vacations recently, I try to plan my trip to be a bit cheaper. A weekend in Hong Kong instead of a weekend in Tokyo, for instance. A week in South Korea instead of a week in Australia. Fly to Quy Nhon instead of Boracay..

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:26 am

I budget $100/day, Not including flights, car, place to stay. A week away could cost me $1k-$20k depending on where I was going and what I was doing. I like to return under budget ;)

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am

jebmke wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:18 am
livesoft wrote:
Same here.
But you are retired correct, so you have what you have. I am trying to do expense planning so that when I am at your stage I can do the same as you.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:33 am

$8,000 - $10,000 sounds about right for me.

First class flights (anywhere more than 4-5 hours) - $5,000
Hotel - $400/night = $2,800
Food - $150/day = $1,050
Rental car + activities - $100/day = $700

Those are clearly max amounts, but I'd rather budget high and come in under than the alternative.

Edit to add - I don't see myself taking many one-week vacations when I'm retired. I'm anticipating 3- or 4-week trips where I would get an air bnb or something similar and the daily cost would presumably be much lower (i.e., cook my own food, no need for an activity every single day, etc.).

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:39 am

My last try to explain this, budgeting retirement expense purposes is and entirely different exercise than budgeting for any specific year. When dealing with vacations you make a great number of assumptions costs, amount of time you are willing to travel, number of trips you desire, your ability to travel by certain modes and so on. But in the end you end up with a reasoned guess as to how much you will need to add to your base expenses to cover these desires and you work toward meeting that mark. Once you are in retirement you essentially work with what you have. The trip you imagine to Hawaii could become a car trip to Yellowstone if money is tight or flying difficult or could be a week in the Greek Isles if the markets had a run. Budgeting is just a guess based on the best information you have at the time, it is not an answer to what you will actually spend.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 am

I'd say roughly $2000-$4000. Depending on:

-if flights are involved
-if using Airbnb, VRBO vs hotels
-if renting a car
-if domestic trip
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:48 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 am
jebmke wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:18 am
livesoft wrote:
Same here.
But you are retired correct, so you have what you have. I am trying to do expense planning so that when I am at your stage I can do the same as you.
My baseline budget that I prepared prior to retiring had $400 per month in for travel. I intuitively know we are under-spending compared to that - but I don't really track it. We thought we would travel more but in reality, it hasn't happened. I think for several reasons.

One, I traveled a lot in my last 12 or so years of work - probably 50% for an average year. More when I moved to Brussels. The last three years of my career, travel was 100%. We also traveled a lot when we lived in Europe on assignment. Finally, traveling is much more of a hassle now than it used to be. We have found that there is a lot more to do locally or within a short drive than we imagined so we tend to do more stuff locally and less travel.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am

2 recent examples of week long travel bookings this year and last year:
All inclusive resort in Costa Rica and Cozumel for 2: $2000 for 7 nights
Flights for 2: $1000-1500 (coach)

We enjoy all inclusive resort vacations as a great way to enjoy the week without worrying about food/drink/entertainment costs.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am

Since my "final" retirement in April 2017, we've taken 7 vacations, each lasting 1-3 weeks.

Of these, 5 were done using a website that offers free accommodations in exchange for pet sitting duties, and 2 of the pet sits were international (Vancouver and SW France). Often this included airport pickup/dropoff and the use of the homeowner's family car. So we have basically been able to vacation for the cost of transportation and meals, and have full use of a home that includes kitchen facilities to greatly reduce the need to eat all meals at restaurants.

If we had budgeted for the 15 weeks of vacation in the last 13 months, we would have expected to spend around $26k. We actually spent about $12k. https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/su/RClZtfxX

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:52 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Start with tracking the cost first and sorting it out by categories:
- Transportation (flight/rental car/gas).
- Food (dining out/groceries/)
- Accommodation (hotel/lodging/airbnb)
- Entertainment (tickets/activities)
- Miscellaneous (gifts/incidental)

After a few vacations, look at your tracking and see what are you willing to cut down and want to do more.

My wife and I travel a lot. And we know that we don't need to stay at fancy hotels so we use IHG and utilizes points for free nights at Holiday Inn Express, Candlewoods, or Staybridge. We keep cost about $100 a night for accommodation. For domestic traveling, we don't usually pay for airplane tickets and rental car. It might cost us additional 2 days of travel, but we enjoy road trips so that's not a problem. We average about $300 of gas for a 14 day travel. In addition, we plan to cook our dinners at Candlewoods / Staybridge where they have full kitchen. So we keep 90/10 split of preparing our meals and dining out. So food only cost $300 for 2 week of traveling.

Tickets might vary. Like Universal Studio can cost us $500-$600 for 2 days. Parasailing, boating, etc. would cost us $100-$200 for a day of activities. We have National Park annual pass, so we don't pay every time we get in a National Park.

On average, it costs $200 a day for two of us ($100 per person). So roughly $1,400 a week. If your travel pattern is similar to ours, you might get to the same ballpark.

Also, we budget about $12k-15k for travelling this year.

Edie

Post by Edie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:55 am

We spend more per person when there are just 2 of us than when there are 6 of us. For 2, it doesn't seem outrageous to eat out in restaurants 2-3 times a day, but when we vacation with the kids in the same location (kitchen included, whether it's 2 or 6), we do a lot more meals in the room (or brought down to the beach, but still made by us, not chefs).

We're pretty cheap though, we go to the same beach resort 3-4x a year, because it's a 4 hour drive, and I'd rather do that than deal with airports. Going as just us for a week there runs us around 2000, bringing our 4 kids along for a week is probably 2200. I have no idea what we'll budget in retirement, but that's 15-20 years away :shock:

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:57 am

Personally, I don't like to spend more than what was mode from PTO (i.e. normal salary) during the time I was away.

This works for our family of three.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:02 am

RE: TimeLord

I think you really need to allocate $10K for a week long vacation. We routinely spend $6-8K for such a vacation when we travel as a couple (and almost double when travel as family) and that is after looking for all the bargains. On average, $1K per day (including hotel, sightseeing, transportation, food etc) is what I have now accepted as given. I am completely serious with this numbers. I used to get very upset and we used to have blowout *during* vacation but now I just mentally write off that amount and do not even look at the cost anymore. We have the resources and we can afford to spend the money. If it were up to me, I would try to curtail the expenses but in the larger scheme of things, it is not worth to be upset about it.

Now being little facetious (and having read your postings over last few years), I believe you are NOT in a position to retire today. I think as long as you are doing these type of mental exercises, it is obvious that you need to work for One More Year. When you are mentally ready, you will NO longer ask these type of questions on this forum. You will *KNOW* when you are ready.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:06 am

It's going to vary tremendously depending on where you go and what you do. My wife and I are getting away for 4 days later this month. Here's our expected costs:
- Flight - $600
- Hotel - $2520 - ($600 a night paid with hotel points - Resort fee of $30 daily, so actual cost will only be $120)
- Rental Car - $120
- Dining/Drink - $500 (guessing)
- Airport Parking - $80
- Total: $3,280 for 4 days

Including activities and miscellaneous expenses it will probably hit $4k.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 am

Depends if your idea of vacationing is a week long vacation in Paris! or a week long hike in your local state or a week at Disneyworld during primetime all-inclusive. The first trip, $10K, maybe a bit more, the second trip, less than $1K, the last trip, at least $5k depending on what level of hotel you stay. Flying ain't cheap if you plan your visit for primetime - unless you score a deal which may or may not materialize. Budgeting is one number, actual spending is another.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 am

I put an annual amount for travel as a placeholder in my retirement planning. I don't expect to spend that much most years, but it's there to give me a comfort level that we aren't overspending as long as we stay under it. If I wanted to do something on the unusually expensive side that would overrun one year's annual budget, then I'd put it together with several other years to see if they are average together and stay in line with planning. If I take my annual amount, and divide by the number of weeks we are likely to travel (we don't like being away huge blocks of time), it comes out to around $4K per week for the two of us, maybe a bit more if I add in the food/entertainment budget transferred unused at home. We usually spend less than that, but sometimes will foot the bill for kids/grandkids to come along.

I don't like dealing with the hassles of international flights, so those trips usually end up being 3-4 weeks long to get value for the trouble. We haven't been spending much actual cash on airfares lately with miles or other promotions, though if I break down and start buying business class, that may change.

Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:52 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:02 am
RE: TimeLord

Now being little facetious (and having read your postings over last few years), I believe you are NOT in a position to retire today. I think as long as you are doing these type of mental exercises, it is obvious that you need to work for One More Year. When you are mentally ready, you will NO longer ask these type of questions on this forum. You will *KNOW* when you are ready.
I am sure I am not really mentally ready to retire (probably less ready now than I was 4 years ago). That said, it getting to be time to retire if I want to get on with some things I want to do. So if I am going to do this I am going to check and recheck my figures and develop new models until I pull the plug. I expect entering retirement to be a bumpy ride so I want to make sure I have the financial padding to ease the blow if necessary.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm

Travel budgets are almost entirely discretionary. As such they are one of the easier items to plan for in retirement. Pick an annual number you feel comfortable with. Then fit your actuals into that, making adjustments as you go if necessary. If the market cooperates, spend a little more perhaps, or the opposite. Flexibility, man, flexibility.

I’ve never heard of anyone who had to go back to work because they spent too much on travel.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
This is very subjective.. I go on 2 week vacations to some of the most beautiful places in the world and I rarely spend more than $700. I'm talking about a trip for 2.

aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:29 pm

I’m not retired but I set aside $7500 per year for vacations. This year I won’t spend it all because next year I have several trips planned. I imagine when I retire I will keep the amount the same because we won’t be bringing the kids along.

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:35 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 am
Since my "final" retirement in April 2017, we've taken 7 vacations, each lasting 1-3 weeks.

Of these, 5 were done using a website that offers free accommodations in exchange for pet sitting duties, and 2 of the pet sits were international (Vancouver and SW France). Often this included airport pickup/dropoff and the use of the homeowner's family car. So we have basically been able to vacation for the cost of transportation and meals, and have full use of a home that includes kitchen facilities to greatly reduce the need to eat all meals at restaurants.

If we had budgeted for the 15 weeks of vacation in the last 13 months, we would have expected to spend around $26k. We actually spent about $12k. https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/su/RClZtfxX
This is so cool. I would love to do something similar, but my prior poor experiences pet sitting my roommate’s ultra-stubborn dog and the number of listings with references to administering medication to aged animals has scared me a bit.

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:04 pm

SQRT wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm
Travel budgets are almost entirely discretionary. As such they are one of the easier items to plan for in retirement. Pick an annual number you feel comfortable with. Then fit your actuals into that, making adjustments as you go if necessary. If the market cooperates, spend a little more perhaps, or the opposite. Flexibility, man, flexibility.

I’ve never heard of anyone who had to go back to work because they spent too much on travel.
This is my approach now, and what I anticipate doing later. I plan "top down," allocating an overall travel budget (which I expect to be 30 - 35% larger in the first few years of retirement), and then planning trips to fit within those parameters. There are so many dimensions along which it is possible to make adjustments (nature of accommodations, splurginess of dining, etc.), that it is pretty straightforward to remain in the neighborhood of the plan.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:07 pm

On average, $15-20k per trip, which usually lasts 10-12 days - a bit more than a week.

For instance, we're booked on a Viking Ocean cruise next month, in addition to a Viking River cruise in November. We take a ex-CONUS trip every year, and every few years we double up, as we are doing this year. The last few years included China, Australia (25 days each) and South America (Peru - to do Machu Picchu), in addition to many trips to Euroland.

The costs include a limo to/from the airport (about 100 miles from our home), business class air (no comps, since I've been retired over a decade), and always having an escorted trip, which costs more than a do it yourself journey. We have a travel agent that we've used for decades to plan our trips. In addition, there are costs involved with boarding our dogs at a "animal resort" when we're gone. The days of planning/scheduling/traveling on our own are over. We did that in our early years (early, meaning before age 60), but no longer need/desire to just get by.

We certainly spend 2-3x the amount we did when we were both working and had limited time (and $$$) to travel in the manner we currently do.

FWIW,

- Ron

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 pm

$5-6k/week on average.

Go up or down depending on your use of deals, credit card points, how much fine dining you do, etc.

fiskalisch gesinnt

Post by fiskalisch gesinnt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:14 pm

I would say $6k to $10k per week would cover most (if not all) the types of travelling the two of us would like to do. As such I think I would probably average it out and put in $8k. Some years we would b e a bit under, and others a little over.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
I can answer this to some extent. My wife and I are frugal but still like traveling.
We went to ireland recently and our out of pocket costs
Were 2000 but this was with 1500 dollars in points we used.

Without it i would estimate 3500 excluding souvenires

Our germany trip was similarly 3500 dollars.

In both situations we did it differently.

Our flights were 600 per person or less. We either travelled from canada(germany) or got tickets early enough (ireland) from usa that we got cheap tickets.

Our hosuing costs were never above a 100 day average and our food budget was approx 60-100 a day with most days closer to 60. We chose restaurants that were reviewed highly and were known to be cheap.

Our transportation costs varied. In germany we took trains and buses everywhere. The total cost for that was around 1200. In ireland we rented a car and that was around 600.

On top of that were the costs of museums which ranged from 150 in ireland for the whole time to about 300 in germany.

You can easily go on these trips with careful planning of what you plan to do for 4500 or less.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:55 pm

I think the $5k to $10k figures I'm seeing are reasonable for a 7 day trip.

Europe - Paris, Rome, etc

2 tickets premium economy - $2600
7 nights lodging - $2400
Meals - $1600
Tours, entrance fees - $1200
Local transport - $300
Misc - $600
Home exp (airport pking, pet boarding) - $400
Total - $9100 / $1300 per day

Playa del Carmen

2 tickets premium economy - $1400
7 nights lodging - $1500
Meals - $800
Tours, entrance fees - $400
Local transport - $200
Misc - $200
Home exp (airport pking, pet boarding) - $400
Total - $4900 / $700 per day

I think, when we retire, that the daily cost will go down. For example =

Europe - Paris, Rome, etc

2 tickets premium economy - $2600
14 nights lodging - $3150
Meals - $2500
Tours, entrance fees - $1600
Local transport - $400
Misc - $800
Home exp (airport pking, pet boarding) - $550
Total - $11600 / $830 per day

Playa del Carmen

2 tickets premium economy - $1400
14 nights lodging - $2100
Meals - $1200
Tours, entrance fees - $600
Local transport - $300
Misc - $300
Home exp (airport pking, pet boarding) - $550
Total - $6450 / $460 per day

The above is based on historical costs when we do travel for longer periods. We usually stay in AirBnBs, but will cook in more when on longer trips. Also will do more relaxed restaurant meals vs just vacation splurge meals. I can usually negotiate a better deal for a longer stay, or we'll do two places with one less expensive. Will take fewer tours, museums, etc., and more relaxed local touring, walking, exploring public transport, etc.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Ron wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:07 pm
On average, $15-20k per trip, which usually lasts 10-12 days - a bit more than a week.

For instance, we're booked on a Viking Ocean cruise next month, in addition to a Viking River cruise in November. We take a ex-CONUS trip every year, and every few years we double up, as we are doing this year. The last few years included China, Australia (25 days each) and South America (Peru - to do Machu Picchu), in addition to many trips to Euroland.

The costs include a limo to/from the airport (about 100 miles from our home), business class air (no comps, since I've been retired over a decade), and always having an escorted trip, which costs more than a do it yourself journey. We have a travel agent that we've used for decades to plan our trips. In addition, there are costs involved with boarding our dogs at a "animal resort" when we're gone. The days of planning/scheduling/traveling on our own are over. We did that in our early years (early, meaning before age 60), but no longer need/desire to just get by.

We certainly spend 2-3x the amount we did when we were both working and had limited time (and $$$) to travel in the manner we currently do.

FWIW,

- Ron
See? This is what TheTimeLord needs to budget for! Who cares if it adds only few years to your retirement plan??? (OK, I am kidding!)

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Just came back from a 10 day affordable Peru tour with flying and staying in Miami for three additional nights. Total cost for two people is about $5,400.

antheus

Post by antheus » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:14 pm

I am 32 years old and I spend about 2k-3k on average per person per 2 week international trip. I organize everything myself, find the cheapest airfare that I can find within reason (for example I would rather fly direct for $100 more but I'd be willing to take a small layover for ~$300 less), stay in clean but spartan accommodations, don't plan organized tours, and eat whatever I want. My decision where to go is often based on where airfare is cheap and in my opinion if you're traveling to see new places and you spend a ton of money on your bed you're doing it wrong. To each their own though.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:20 pm

I still don’t get why other people’s travel expenses would be useful for the Time Lord to set his travel budget? Why would a trip to Peru, or Antarctica, have any predictive value for a trip to the Grand Canyon, or Paris, or Rome?

Travel costs are so easily determined in advance? Just plan it out and determine how many days you want to travel? Eg say hotel $500/night, meals $100/day, tours etc another $100 per day, or whatever you like , put in the air fare. Presto you got it. Anyway. Carry on. I guess people just like to talk about their trips?
Last edited by SQRT on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Timelord

Some data: Our last three big trips Curaçao, Tuscany, San Jose del Cabo, 1 wk each, VRBO shared lodging and shared rental car for local transportation with another couple $2200, $3000, $3000 without airfare. We are self directed tourists who take leisurely vacations who follow an active day, leisure day, active day, leisure day pattern. So I budget roughly $400/day on the ground costs + airfare to get there and back.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:41 pm

We budget $3000 a week for 2 people door to door, but that’s for two weeks. That’s to Western Europe from the northeast, usually from Newark, which is 2.5 hours from home. We stay at hotels and almost always Marriott in city centers. We also plan our trip ourselves and rent a compact car.

cfs

Post by cfs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Mister TL, thanks for the question, good one. On the average, for a 10-day-tripper our cost is about $6k total, give or take $1k to play it safe. Currently planning two extended trippers to the Iberian Peninsula (one in the Fall season, one in the Spring season). Good luck with budget planning, and execution of your trippers, y gracias por leer / cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

986racer

Post by 986racer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:00 pm

It costs what you want to spend. I could do a week long trip for 2 for anything between 50 per day to several thousand per day. (And I’ve done both extremes)

Decide your budget in advance and try to stick close to it.

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Over the past 10 years, our family of four typically has spent US$2000 - US$4000 for one week. More often we fall closer to the $2000 mark, but when we go lavish, we have hit $4000 for FOUR of us.

But as a retiree, I personally would budget less, as I would be able to hit the off peak rates more easily for flights/accommodations, etc as others above have pointed out.

xenochrony