Prepping for College Fall 2019

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Bacchus01

Prepping for College Fall 2019

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 am

Our oldest son is now a Senior in High School. We're deep into the planning process for schools. He's done well with a 3.9 unweighted GPA, 31 ACT, and about 10 honors/AP courses. Some extracurriculars, but not super heavy (4-year Varsity Soccer and 3X Captain, Club Soccer, some volunteering, has a full-time summer job). Wants to go into engineering, likely Civil. We've encouraged him to consider all options, but he has stated he doesn't really want to go very far away and would prefer a bigger school to a smaller school. Considering University of Wisconsin-Madison is a top engineering school, and in-state, we expect he will land there if accepted. It's my alma matter, so I'm kinda biased as well.

That said, we are doing the financial planning stuff and wanted to get input from others on things we should be considering. Our marginal rate is 32%, but I usually defer enough income to get down into the 24% marginal rate. That, and our assets, means FAFSA support will be about nil. UW Madison does not give merit awards, so we'll probably foot most if not all of the bill.

We have about $150K put away in 529s, so paying for it should not be a problem.

My question is if there are any other things we should be considering. Are there any tax advantages to cash flowing at least some of the expenses and not use the 529? We have two more sons, so using it up over time will not be an issue. In our tax bracket I'm thinking that it won't be much help. I could defer even more income to get down to the 22% bracket, but again I'm not sure what tax breaks become available.

Anything we should be pre-paying? Anything we should make sure we run through the 529? Any tax considerations? Etc. I kinda don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!

livesoft

Re: Prepping for College Fall 2019

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:35 am

You should have already read all of IRS Publication 970. There are lots of tax breaks when paying for education. You may not qualify because your income may be too high, but that's for you to figure out by reading IRS Publication 970.

BTW, did I advise you to read IRS Publication 970. Yes, I did.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:39 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:35 am
You should have already read all of IRS Publication 970. There are lots of tax breaks when paying for education. You may not qualify because your income may be too high, but that's for you to figure out by reading IRS Publication 970.

BTW, did I advise you to read IRS Publication 970. Yes, I did.
So, you're saying I should read IRS Publication 970?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/aotc

To add one to what Livesoft said, make sure you cash flow enough (not from the 529) to obtain the AOTC max. If your AGI is over (it likely could be), then this won't apply.

Is playing college soccer an option? It could be a gateway to more grants/scholarships/aid. It is a competitive sport, but a good ACT + sport could lead to some nice awards at smaller private colleges.

Best to apply to his first choice and then pick some other options just to see what you get.

Our daughter attending this fall received some nice scholarships, but the local state college with the degree she wants to pursue was still $8k/year less. That was over 60% of sticker at her second choice with the big scholarship.

Your FAFSA will likely result in $5,500 in available loans. That is OK, you have done well and saved. Now it is time to pay the funds out.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:43 am

I know someone who played D1 soccer her entire college career and now plays soccer professionally. It's a tough life and low pay. Engineering is lots better.

Oh, yeah, don't forget about Publication 970. :)
Last edited by livesoft on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:44 am

You need to keep your own records to substantiate "qualified withdrawals" from the 529. We asked our kids to use a dedicated credit card for required textbooks, etc. Keep your tuition and dormitory invoices. If your student lives off-campus, you can find the budget for room and board on the college's "cost of attendance" .edu webpage, updated each academic year.

Be aware that health insurance is not included as "qualified withdrawal,"even if the college requires proof of insurance -- subtract any student health plan billed on the college invoice.

Computers and related equipment are included, as well as internet access.

If your student receives a grant award (not a loan) that reduces the tuition billed, that amount may also be withdrawn from the 529.

Also, note that amounts billed in one calendar year for the next academic quarter can be withdrawn in the year billed. See IRS Pub 970.

I prepared an Excel spreadsheet to track all of this stuff and updated it for each school year.

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/aotc

To add one to what Livesoft said, make sure you cash flow enough (not from the 529) to obtain the AOTC max. If your AGI is over (it likely could be), then this won't apply.

Is playing college soccer an option? It could be a gateway to more grants/scholarships/aid. It is a competitive sport, but a good ACT + sport could lead to some nice awards at smaller private colleges.

Best to apply to his first choice and then pick some other options just to see what you get.

Our daughter attending this fall received some nice scholarships, but the local state college with the degree she wants to pursue was still $8k/year less. That was over 60% of sticker at her second choice with the big scholarship.

Your FAFSA will likely result in $5,500 in available loans. That is OK, you have done well and saved. Now it is time to pay the funds out.
College soccer is an option at a smaller school. He has decided he does not want to play soccer and would prefer to focus on his school. I can't blame him for that, although Id love to see him continue. He'd like be D3, however, which does not offer athletic scholarships.

Ben Mathew

Post by Ben Mathew » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:29 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 am
Are there any tax advantages to cash flowing at least some of the expenses and not use the 529? We have two more sons, so using it up over time will not be an issue.
Since you have two more sons who can use the 529, I see no reason to dip into the 529 if you can cash flow. Two advantages to cash flowing:

1. Less paperwork.

2. If you deplete the 529 for this son, and then have to replenish quickly for your other two sons, you might bump up against the annual federal gift tax exclusion. Right now, aside from the extra paperwork, this isn't an issue for estates less than $5.5 million. But who knows what the rules will be in the future? I like to minimize potential estate taxes and keep 529 contributions under the annual gift tax exclusion limit unless there's a compelling reason not to. That implies dipping into 529s only as needed.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:43 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 am
College soccer is an option at a smaller school. He has decided he does not want to play soccer and would prefer to focus on his school. I can't blame him for that, although Id love to see him continue. He'd like be D3, however, which does not offer athletic scholarships.
Right. No scholarships, but if you play D3 soccer your grant package (or whatever that college calls it) somehow increases. :wink:

I completely understand the desire to focus on school. College courses are hard enough without eating/sleeping/breathing a sport.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:59 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:43 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Right. No scholarships, but if you play D3 soccer your grant package (or whatever that college calls it) somehow increases. :wink:

I completely understand the desire to focus on school. College courses are hard enough without eating/sleeping/breathing a sport.
Right? My friend's son plays D3 soccer and has a very lucrative "merit" scholarship that his coach had him fill out the paperwork for.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:00 pm

wstrdg wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:44 am
You need to keep your own records to substantiate "qualified withdrawals" from the 529. We asked our kids to use a dedicated credit card for required textbooks, etc. Keep your tuition and dormitory invoices. If your student lives off-campus, you can find the budget for room and board on the college's "cost of attendance" .edu webpage, updated each academic year.

Be aware that health insurance is not included as "qualified withdrawal,"even if the college requires proof of insurance -- subtract any student health plan billed on the college invoice.

Computers and related equipment are included, as well as internet access.

If your student receives a grant award (not a loan) that reduces the tuition billed, that amount may also be withdrawn from the 529.

Also, note that amounts billed in one calendar year for the next academic quarter can be withdrawn in the year billed. See IRS Pub 970.

I prepared an Excel spreadsheet to track all of this stuff and updated it for each school year.
The way I've handled the "Paperwork" is that I only use 529's to pay directly to the college (since I didn't over-fund) - OP could do similar since he is planning on cash-flowing some of his 3 kids anyway - use 529s to pay directly to the college (I actually have my 529 plan write the check as well so the money never even touches my hands) and cash flow everything else. That way, if you are audited, all you need are the tuition/room&board invoices and payments.
Regarding health insurance - I assume with the ACA - most students are covered by their parents insurance - for me (and nearly everyone I know) I waive the school insurance and have the kids continue to use my family plan - my kids just have to provide proof of insurance to their colleges.

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:36 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:43 am
Bacchus01 wrote:

Yeah, he has a teammate at his club who just graduated. He’s a very good academic student at a large private school, so I’m sure he would have gotten some merit anyway, but he’s going to play soccer at D3 Illinois Tech and got a full ride merit award.

gcc32

Post by gcc32 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm

This is probably different advice than most people would give but I think you'll get the most bang for your buck doing everything you can to keep him in state at UW-M (which he seems a near lock to get accepted to) than going to a private school or out of state (assuming those are worse from a value or education perspective, there are obviously exceptions). I might even go as far as to offer some sort of additional stipend if he chooses that school.

I'm not sure if this is a controversial take, and I wouldn't be too pushy about it and of course it depends on the kid / his interests / personality / etc, but I just feel like many kids at that age don't have the wherewithal to make a great decision and parents creating strong incentives to make good decisions is a good idea.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm

gcc32 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm
This is probably different advice than most people would give but I think you'll get the most bang for your buck doing everything you can to keep him in state at UW-M (which he seems a near lock to get accepted to) than going to a private school or out of state (assuming those are worse from a value or education perspective, there are obviously exceptions). I might even go as far as to offer some sort of additional stipend if he chooses that school.

I'm not sure if this is a controversial take, and I wouldn't be too pushy about it and of course it depends on the kid / his interests / personality / etc, but I just feel like many kids at that age don't have the wherewithal to make a great decision and parents creating strong incentives to make good decisions is a good idea.
I tend to agree with this. Our oldest daughter chose the state school with the program she wants. We have her tuition fully covered. If she chose the private school with the President's Scholarship it would be $40k more and did not have the program she wants. I told her picking that school (my Alma Mater) would likely result in $30k of student loans. Not the end of the world, but she made a good informed decision.

dogagility

Post by dogagility » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:44 pm

OP, you seem to have it covered. I agree to keep an eye on AOTC-qualified vs 529-qualified expenses (assuming you are eligible for the AOTC). Like another poster, I keep a spreadsheet to track all of these various expenses.

You may already know this, but Rose-Hulman is a good engineering school not too far from Wisconsin. Might be more that UW but might be worth applying. They have a D3 men's soccer team too. :wink:

If you really want to take a deep dive into all things college, head over to the college confidential forums.

:sharebeer
"The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient" -- Warren Buffett

amitb00

Post by amitb00 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 pm

529 paperwork is super easy if all withdrawals are qualified. You basically don’t report it on your tax form.
Personally I prefer to withdraw from 529, even if you need to replenish it. Estate limit is so high (22 m for married couple) that you can contribute whatever amount. If you withdraw from 529 for qualified expenses, your gains in account reduce. If for some reason you have to make unqualified withdrawals, you have lesser gain. However if you don’t need 529 money for personal use, overfunding will help future generations .

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 pm

amitb00 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 pm
529 paperwork is super easy if all withdrawals are qualified. You basically don’t report it on your tax form.
Personally I prefer to withdraw from 529, even if you need to replenish it. Estate limit is so high (22 m for married couple) that you can contribute whatever amount. If you withdraw from 529 for qualified expenses, your gains in account reduce. If for some reason you have to make unqualified withdrawals, you have lesser gain. However if you don’t need 529 money for personal use, overfunding will help future generations .
Provided we get a state tax deduction, we intend to continue contributing to 529s for ourselves, our three kids, and eventual grandkids as long as we live. I would rather give our inheritance through education opportunities than some pile of cash when we are dead.

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 pm

gcc32 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm

I don’t think this is controversial advice at all. I’m strongly encouraging him to go to Madison. I’ve told him that there really is no reason to go anywhere else unless he changes his mind on a major or really wants to play soccer. If not, why would you pay to go to a much higher cost school that is, at best, marginally better academically?

Now, if he was pulling a 36 on his ACT and was thinking Stanford, Caltech or MIT, we’d be having a different discussion.

dogagility

Post by dogagility » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:39 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 pm
I don’t think this is controversial advice at all. I’m strongly encouraging him to go to Madison. I’ve told him that there really is no reason to go anywhere else unless he changes his mind on a major or really wants to play soccer. If not, why would you pay to go to a much higher cost school that is, at best, marginally better academically?
+1
"The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient" -- Warren Buffett

nikfleisch

Post by nikfleisch » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:37 am

Has he considered Platteville at all? Their engineering program is just as good, if not better. Also is the cheapest four year UW school. I’m slightly biased as it’s where I went...

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:55 am

nikfleisch wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:37 am
Has he considered Platteville at all? Their engineering program is just as good, if not better. Also is the cheapest four year UW school. I’m slightly biased as it’s where I went...
He has. We’ve visited. We also have family in that area. Great regional engineering school.

He’s not a “city kid” by any means, but I think the size of the campus and more importantly the surrounding area, really turned him off.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:20 am

Is there a time limit on withdrawing money from the 529 based on grants and scholarships? Could someone, at the end of four years, go back and pull money out of the 529 for four years worth of scholarships, thus waiting to see how much of the 529 remains at that point? I am guessing it has to be done in the same tax year the scholarship was deducted from tuition, but does anyone know for sure?

gasdoc

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:39 am

Publication 970 shows 529 withdrawals being treated in the same year as the expenses. There were proposed regulations ten years ago that would have given you until the following March 15th, but they were never published.

I can tell you that 1099-Q withdrawals substantially greater than 1098-T expenses are highly likely to result in an IRS CP2000 notice.

Spring semester expenses are often reported on the 1099-Q for the previous year.

DIFAR31

Post by DIFAR31 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:39 am

gasdoc wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:20 am
Is there a time limit on withdrawing money from the 529 based on grants and scholarships? Could someone, at the end of four years, go back and pull money out of the 529 for four years worth of scholarships, thus waiting to see how much of the 529 remains at that point? I am guessing it has to be done in the same tax year the scholarship was deducted from tuition, but does anyone know for sure?

gasdoc
There is no IRS guidance on this. Until the IRS enunciates timing requirements for non-qualified 529 withdrawals based on previously received grants and scholarships, in my opinion such a withdrawal can be done at any time and still avoid the 10% additional tax.

DIFAR31

Post by DIFAR31 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:45 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:39 am
I can tell you that 1099-Q withdrawals substantially greater than 1098-T expenses are highly likely to result in an IRS CP2000 notice.
Qualified 529 withdrawals as reported on a 1099-Q can easily exceed qualified expenses as reported by the school on a 1098-T, for the simple fact that 529 qualified expenses include room and board, which is never reported on a 1098-T. The ridiculous result is the IRS computer spits out a CP2000 and the taxpayer has to then go through a paperwork drill, which a real human at the IRS needs to review resulting in a "sorry, never mind" letter to the taxpayer. A complete waste of the taxpayer's time and government resources.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:37 pm

DIFAR31 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:45 am
Spirit Rider wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:39 am
Qualified 529 withdrawals as reported on a 1099-Q can easily exceed qualified expenses as reported by the school on a 1098-T, for the simple fact that 529 qualified expenses include room and board, which is never reported on a 1098-T. The ridiculous result is the IRS computer spits out a CP2000 and the taxpayer has to then go through a paperwork drill, which a real human at the IRS needs to review resulting in a "sorry, never mind" letter to the taxpayer. A complete waste of the taxpayer's time and government resources.
I didn't say the IRS was smart. I have receive two 529 based CP2000 notices for entirely legitimate expenses. I was pointing out how closely they match 1098-T and 1099-Q forms. To emphasize that you need to closely time distributions to expenses.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Does the ACT score get him any sort of national merit semifinalist scholarship? It’s been long enough since I had to and will be long enough until I have to look at this again that I’m not current. While I infer you’re not scraping for money - rather trying to optimize - has your son looked into any third party scholarships? There’s everything from bizarre ones set up for mustache afficandios or whatever to real merit or leadership based ones offered by civic organizations. And there are national programs like the Coke Scholars (don’t remember how one gets that) that could also come into play. It’s also possible the deadlines have passed.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 pm

gasdoc wrote:

gasdoc
From what I know, you have to be very aware of academic year and calendar years withdrawals. I had an issue where I wanted to go back and be reimbursed for Fall R & B expenses in the Spring Semester (After January 1). My CPA told me that it was not allowed since the Fall was in the previous tax year. So I don't think you can "go back".
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | Do you know how to make a rain dance work? Dance until it rains.

DIFAR31

Post by DIFAR31 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:59 pm
Does the ACT score get him any sort of national merit semifinalist scholarship? It’s been long enough since I had to and will be long enough until I have to look at this again that I’m not current. While I infer you’re not scraping for money - rather trying to optimize - has your son looked into any third party scholarships? There’s everything from bizarre ones set up for mustache afficandios or whatever to real merit or leadership based ones offered by civic organizations. And there are national programs like the Coke Scholars (don’t remember how one gets that) that could also come into play. It’s also possible the deadlines have passed.
National merit scholarships are based on the PSAT/NMSQT that is given in the student's junior high school year. Many third party scholarships have a need component.

DIFAR31

Post by DIFAR31 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:09 pm

goodenyou wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 pm
gasdoc wrote:

gasdoc
From what I know, you have to be very aware of academic year and calendar years withdrawals. I had an issue where I wanted to go back and be reimbursed for Fall R & B expenses in the Spring Semester (After January 1). My CPA told me that it was not allowed since the Fall was in the previous tax year. So I don't think you can "go back".
For qualified 529 distributions, the distribution and the payment of the expense that the distribution is allotted to must be done in the same tax year. gasdoc was asking about a non-qualified distribution that can avoid the 10% additional tax if it is matched up to a tax-free scholarship or grant that the student has received (the earnings portion of the distribution will still be subject to income tax). The IRS has provided no guidance on when such a distribution must be taken in order to take advantage of the penalty waiver.

nikfleisch

Post by nikfleisch » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:55 am
nikfleisch wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:37 am
He has. We’ve visited. We also have family in that area. Great regional engineering school.

He’s not a “city kid” by any means, but I think the size of the campus and more importantly the surrounding area, really turned him off.
Interesting- I am not a city guy either, that's why I loved platteville. Not many schools where you can affordably keep your car. Also loved the surrounding area for hunting and riding my motorcycle.

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
No, the NMS is based on PSAT. While his PSAT was good, it was not THAT good. I'm actually shocked at the test levels now. I wonder if there has been inflation in the scores. When I graduated, I got a 33 on the ACT (early 90's). It was the highest score in the city and one of the highest the school had seen in like a decade. I think at my son's HS the average ACT score is a 27. He knows LOTS of kids that got 33-35 scores.

Yes, he will apply for private scholarships. That process will start later this summer. We're not scraping for money, but I do want to take advantage of anything I can.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 pm

DIFAR31 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:03 pm
Nearly A Moose wrote:
National merit scholarships are based on the PSAT/NMSQT that is given in the student's junior high school year. Many third party scholarships have a need component.
Ah, yes, forgot about the PSAT.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.