Pueblo, CO area places to live

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
corn18

Pueblo, CO area places to live

Post by corn18 » Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Might be moving to Pueblo, CO. Just the wife and I. 2-3 years max. Prefer not to buy, but with the company footing the transaction costs, maybe. $500k budget, $3000 rent. I looked on Zillow and it seems we have our choice of anywhere in Pueblo or Colorado Springs.

What areas should we be looking at?

Amphian

Re: Pueblo, CO area places to live

Post by Amphian » Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Pueblo has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country. I would start by looking at "safer" neighborhoods. They have a similar map for Colorado Springs, which has less violent crime, but still has a lot.
Last edited by Amphian on Wed May 30, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quantum

Post by Quantum » Wed May 30, 2018 7:40 pm

corn18 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 pm
Might be moving to Pueblo, CO. Just the wife and I. 2-3 years max. Prefer not to buy, but with the company footing the transaction costs, maybe. $500k budget, $3000 rent. I looked on Zillow and it seems we have our choice of anywhere in Pueblo or Colorado Springs.

See if the company has a branch further up the Front Range.
“The advantage always favors the one who is trying to create fear, over the one who is trying to erase it.” | Howard R. Hughes JR.

Quantum

Post by Quantum » Wed May 30, 2018 7:41 pm

Amphian wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm
Pueblo has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country. I would start by looking at "safer" neighborhoods. They have a similar map for Colorado Springs, which has less violent crime, but still has a lot.
Your link is to a phish site.
“The advantage always favors the one who is trying to create fear, over the one who is trying to erase it.” | Howard R. Hughes JR.

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Quantum wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:41 pm
Your link is to a phish site.
Ah ok, removed it. Not sure where to search for a good neighborhood map, although I know Trulia has some.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 pm

I'd probably pick old town Colorado Springs (Near Colorado College) or Manitou Springs area.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Live in Colorado Springs. Manitou Springs and the Colorado College area are fine as mentioned earlier. Broadmoor is were I would live but I’m not sure your budget will get you there. Northwest near the Air Force Academy is also nice. Peyton gets you more bang for your buck. Many move there for that reason

mountaingoatcos

Post by mountaingoatcos » Wed May 30, 2018 10:48 pm

I live in Colorado Springs, and would recommend skyway, broadmoor, Cheyenne canon, old north end, patty jewett. If I could afford anywhere in COS, I would live around the Broadmoor or Cheyenne Canon because of the close proximity to North Cheyenne Canon and Stratton Open Space. Awesome places to hike and mountain bike, truly amazing to live near there. Also, just driving through the canon is pretty amazing, and it is only 4 miles or so to downtown!

Broadmoor bluffs is another area to look at as it is pretty far south, and not a bad drive to Pueblo. It may be a little more expensive there but it is also safe but generic huge homes that all look alike. Overall, Colorado Springs is quite safe, the southeast can be a little sketchy, but I actually work in that area and don't find it too bad but I wouldn't likely live there.

Zach82

Post by Zach82 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:51 am

When I lived there in the 90s, the north side of town was just fine. You can also find a place at Pueblo West where several of my co-workers lived. Avoid the south side. Its the bad part of town (which every town has). As others have mentioned, you could live about 35 minutes north in Fountain.

Zach

mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze » Thu May 31, 2018 8:05 am

That whole front range is becoming a traffic parking lot from south of the springs to ft collins.
Won't be long till it ensnares Pueblo. Maybe it already has.
Even with you going against normal commute traffic, I'll bet you'll experience regular snarls from CS to Pueblo.
Its getting like Washington D.C or LA. Truly.

Perhaps you might skip the Springs and find a place in Pueblo.
It's just the 2 of you. Start by renting townhouse or something simple. Take some time to scope it all out.
Personally I think the Pueblo has an agreeable funk to it.
Notwithstanding the crime stats, I'm sure its possible to find a decent place in a decent neighborhood.

Or move up the hill if you find adventure fun.
The tiny town of Westcliffe is pretty fine, not too expensive, and an hour away.
With 500k you could buy/rent a simple lock and leave apartment/townhouse in Pueblo and start a nice home up the hill in Westcliffe.
Land is still reasonable and the Sangre de Cristo's are right out your back door.
A great place to weekend and/or telecommute as your trailer turns into a cabin, into a farmhouse.
2-3 years sometimes stretches. You may find you like it.

Salida and Buena Vista are 2 hours, pretty cool towns, but quite a bit more expensive.
Unfortunately 500k doesn't buy a lot in downtown Salida.
I prefer BV, Salida is a bit rich hipster for me.

Any of the above would be a far cry the cookie cutter neighborhood in the burbs you'll find in the Springs (i.e. No Applebee's, Starbucks, etc. )
Don't wish to offend but Colorado Springs seems pretty vanilla America suburbia.
It could be anywhere USA.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm

corn18 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 pm

I have looked at homes in that area of Colorado for a few years now myself, and will tell your the biggest issue I found was expansive soil in those area. I'd almost want a tensioned slab, or engineered foundation. I saw homes less than 2 years old with horrid issues because of this.
Be careful what you buy. Lot of poorly built homes.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley » Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Pueblo West will reduce your commute. It's a good hour to the Springs and there is pretty much just one way (I-25) unless you go way out. If there is an accident it can really snare things up. Also, the highway can be closed if there is blowing snow.

jthokie4

Post by jthokie4 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:26 pm

I recommend you find a place in Pueblo for a shorter commute and increased quality of life. We moved here 2 years ago and really enjoy it here. There are pockets of fine neighborhoods (north area has been good to us). There is never any traffic here, and the city has a great riverwalk area, a great paved trail system along the Arkansas River, and Lake Pueblo State Park nearby for great mountain biking. For adventure, CO Springs is 30 minutes away (but very crowded for hiking/biking), and you also have the Wet Mountains and Canon City nearby. Houses are also much cheaper here than in the Springs.