Have $3m at 33, "approach to career" advice needed

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
krb

Re: Have $3m at 33, "approach to career" advice needed

Post by krb » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 pm

blinx77 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:13 pm
mathwhiz wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:14 pm
There's probably good reason for this. Life happens. Layoffs happen. Markets crash. Marriages end. People get sick and/or die unexpectedly.

Security is precious and valuable.
People on this site are VERY conservative. OP has millions in the bank and a proven ability to generate more and the advice from some posters is to run to the shelter of the nearest fortune 500 company and put cover pages on his TPS reports. That's insane.
Honest answer: Life is risky. There is a 100% chance of death. There is an extremely high chance of sickness before death. It's also 100% likely you will see many people you love suffer and die before you go. You cannot prepare for every eventuality. Once you have a reasonable margin of safety, it is OK to give yourselves a pass to actually go to do the self-actualizing thing you want to do. Otherwise you will die all the same, just without ever actually having lived first.
Actually the chance of death is only around 99.999 etc %. Sure all the people in the past who are no longer here have died. But there is every possibility everyone alive today might be immortal. We don't know for sure.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 pm

krb wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 pm
blinx77 wrote:
mathwhiz wrote:
There's probably good reason for this. Life happens. Layoffs happen. Markets crash. Marriages end. People get sick and/or die unexpectedly.

People on this site are VERY conservative. OP has millions in the bank and a proven ability to generate more and the advice from some posters is to run to the shelter of the nearest fortune 500 company and put cover pages on his TPS reports. That's insane.
Honest answer: Life is risky. There is a 100% chance of death. There is an extremely high chance of sickness before death. It's also 100% likely you will see many people you love suffer and die before you go. You cannot prepare for every eventuality. Once you have a reasonable margin of safety, it is OK to give yourselves a pass to actually go to do the self-actualizing thing you want to do. Otherwise you will die all the same, just without ever actually having lived first.
Actually the chance of death is only around 99.999 etc %. Sure all the people in the past who are no longer here have died. But there is every possibility everyone alive today might be immortal. We don't know for sure.
You are technically correct, which is the best type of correct.

krb

Post by krb » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:16 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 pm
krb wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:56 pm
blinx77 wrote:
mathwhiz wrote:

You are technically correct, which is the best type of correct.
Haha! The BEST type of correct!
My mother used to tell me that my bubbie used to tell her ...Money problems are the best problems.
Kind of reminds me of that!

renue74

Post by renue74 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:25 pm

blinx77 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:36 pm
Sam1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:47 pm
gcc32 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:14 am
Sam1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:47 am
Ok so in your case it doesn’t seem like this money has helped you. You seem restless, unhappy and constantly focused on what you should be doing. The challenges you’re facing seem more emotional than about personal finances or investing. I’d suggest you see a therapist.

Personally I think you need a kick in the you know what, but that’s just me. I think it’s foolish to walk away from a comfortable $165k a year job with benefits. Do you know how many people would die to have that kind of opportunity?

This is a perfect example of why I don’t want my kids inheriting at a young age. I want them to have drive, ambition and work hard. Not saying you haven’t worked hard but you have this “poor poor me” attitude. You’d be doing much better if you had $1 million in investments and were forced financially to go to work every day!
Couldn’t really disagree more on this. I don’t think I emphasized it much in my posts, but I have made tremendous sacrifices to get to where I am. My work ethic is extremely strong and it isn’t like I’ve just tried a few things and always been successful. A lot of pain and failure along the way. And I started with nothing, outside of a loving family. I just don’t want to look back on my life and wonder why I stuck with a job I didn’t like when I didn’t truly need the money and have multiple examples of success being on my own. I’m already involved part time in something and likely will start another business when I find a good opportunity.
Okay well if you’re so content then why are you posting on here asking strangers what to do with your life?

You missed the point of my post. If you had less money and simply had to go to work in order to save for retirement then you’d probably be a more content person. You have too many options, don’t need the money and therefore, can’t find your way.

It’s a mindset really. You’re looking for happiness in a job and that isn’t going to ever happen for most people. Most people go to work so they can earn a paycheck.
I disagree with this comment. OP is here to ask advice from smart and knowledgeable people, as we all are. That does not mean is miserable or unfulfilled or lazy or anything.

Your post suggests that if OP had challenges then he would find fulfillment through those challenges. That is almost certainly true. However, there is absolutely no reason those challenges need to be "grinding up the corporate ladder." In fact, for most humans who have ever lived (subsistence farmer, hunter-gatherer) that lifestyle would be totally foreign to them. There are many ways to find fulfillment.

OP, as someone who took a totally different route (grinding at a biglaw firm, 70 hours a week, mostly bullshit, to amass $1 million) I would not go the corporate route. I would stay active and look for self-actualization. I think a small business using your current skillset would be perfect. I am sure if you think creatively you can find something that would get you $50-100k a year and occupy 20-30 hours of your time. Think consulting on the thing that made you lots of money. Then you can scale up or down if you wish.

+1. I owned a web design agency for 20 years and recently decided to gear it down. Then I thought about working for a larger firm. I recently went through a series of interviews for a VP of Marketing position locally that would had paid $100K-$120K. After the 2nd set of interviews...with the product management team, I was sitting in a conference room looking at Powerpoint presentations on how they are going to change their product mix in 2020. I said to myself..."what am I doing here?" I later got the offer and turned it down.

Life's too short to work on TPS reports...if you "won the game."

A lot of times, personal ambition get's in the way. You were successful and made your $. And then you want to jump into another successful venture or job where you will shine and make $.

But following your passion in your next chapter of life...don't look at the pay scale. Find your own passion regardless of the numbers.

(By the way...I'm still looking for that passion and next steps myself.)