get sued for posting nagative online review?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Index Fan

Re: get sued for posting nagative online review?

Post by Index Fan »

It's hard to believe anything you read online, particularly when money is involved. People are far more likely to post negative versus positive reviews, and there are all sorts of ways to game the review system.
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca
voodoo72

Post by voodoo72 »

staythecourse wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:03 pm
voodoo72 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:52 am She opened her self up saying " crooked business practices" and " I suspect this doctor gives unnecessary procedures to a lot of people then charges insurance sky high prices". People think that for the most part they can say whatever they want about physicians as most stay silent because of HIPAA issues and not wanting to run afoul of those rules.
That is the issue on this one. Slander and libel are ILLEGAL. It will be up to the defendant to PROVE she is correct on her claims. As a physician he might be the shadiest doctor in the country, but he has the same rights as any other individual from slander and libel.

Have to chuckle that her complaint is based on having to pay an extra $500 for the visit and now she is down 20k! Hope it was worth it.

Good luck.
As a person in the healthcare profession I take these things seriously, I have people on sveral occasions who were upset of surprise bills from insurance not covering things, then expect me to write it off, when I stood firm, they threatened to write negative online reviews about being a crook. I told them to go pound sand.
Actin

Post by Actin »

As a small business owner, I'm really glad more people are being held accountable for their reviews.

I have very few negative reviews, but they all went the exact same way. There was a miscommunication between the customer and I (always their fault), I always reached out multiple times to correct the problem and make them happy, and they simply refused to cooperate or work with me. Then they go online and leave highly exaggerated reviews and completely omit their own mistakes.

I have one review where a customer said I had horrible communication and never showed up, but when I showed up at the scheduled time, no one was home. I called her phone multiple times and no one answered. I left a card taped to the door and then tried to call her back the next day and no still no answer. She called me back two days later and wanted the job done that afternoon. I said that wasn't possible and offered another time. she got mad and left a one star review.

Also, anyone is allowed to give as nearly unlimited fake negative and positive Yelp and Google reviews to themselves or their competition. You can easily buy yourself a hundred fake positive reviews for a cheap price. Amazon vendors do this all the time. You should never read 5 star Amazon reviews, since the vast majority of them are paid shill reviews.

It's basically criminal how every few months I'll get a few fake negative reviews, all from fake names that I have never done any business with, and then the next day some kind of reputation service will call me up and offer to fix it for $1000. Google always takes care of these pretty quickly though.
Last edited by Actin on Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

Here's one case where someone was sued for posting a negative review on yelp, lawyered up, and won.

http://pacevegas.com/2016/04/attorney-m ... -reviewer/
The court found on April 7th, that the lawsuit brought by iQTAXX was indeed an attempt to stifle public discussion on their alleged bad practices and that the defendant was entitled for an award of $1,000 plus attorney fees for being required to defend herself in court. The most important part of the case seems to be that that even though the defendant may have used hyperbole in her review, she was still protected by First Amendment in her hyperbole.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

spectec wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:42 am
protagonist wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 pm 1. Anybody can sue somebody and lots of lawyers will eagerly take their money. It doesn't mean they will collect. I recall the psychic who sued a doctor because she claimed she lost her psychic powers after an MRI and could no longer work. That didn't stop me from reading MRIs.

2. 330 million Americans. You posted stories of two people who got sued. It made good sensational news. Pretty random anecdotes. Don't worry. Be happy.
Seems like a really good psychic would have known in advance that the MRI would cause a loss of powers, and would therefore have avoided getting one.
You must be a prosecutor. With those skills you will make DA in no time.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Index Fan wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:32 pm It's hard to believe anything you read online, particularly when money is involved. People are far more likely to post negative versus positive reviews, and there are all sorts of ways to game the review system.
This site may help. I use it because I don't know what else to trust. https://www.fakespot.com/
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

obgraham wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 pm I’m glad the doc sued.

These online reviews are a 1way street. Someone can post any amount of negative stuff, which may or may not be accurate. Often the thing that ticked them off is something completely different to what is written.

The doc has no defense. And if he posts his review of the patient, that would violate all sorts of regulations.

She tried to ruin him — he responded the only way possible.
Agreed. Docs are prohibited by HIPAA laws from responding with any details. This patient tried to pass off her visit as a "yearly" exam but then reported symptoms that require further investigation and no longer qualify for a free yearly exam. She is mad because she did not understand the insurance rules she signed up for. It's a common problem for patients trying to use a free yearly exam to get treatment for other issues not covered under the yearly exam.
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

Homeowners policies cover slander/defamation under personal injury
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

AlohaJoe wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:08 pm
OnTrack2020 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:39 pm I went to the GoFundMe page the woman set up to help pay her legal bills. If you look down to see the updates, a nurse explains why she was billed what she was billed. I have a feeling the woman may not have understood how her insurance benefits would be paid? Don't know. :confused But there's a little bit more to it than that according to the woman. I hope there is some follow-up to this case. It would be nice to know the outcome.
She appears to have already deleted her GoFundMe page.
Her GFM page is still up and running explaining more detail.

https://www.gofundme.com/righttoyelp
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:09 am
AlohaJoe wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:08 pm
OnTrack2020 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:39 pm I went to the GoFundMe page the woman set up to help pay her legal bills. If you look down to see the updates, a nurse explains why she was billed what she was billed. I have a feeling the woman may not have understood how her insurance benefits would be paid? Don't know. :confused But there's a little bit more to it than that according to the woman. I hope there is some follow-up to this case. It would be nice to know the outcome.
She appears to have already deleted her GoFundMe page.
Her GFM page is still up and running explaining more detail.

https://www.gofundme.com/righttoyelp
Interesting the Google link I followed earlier took me to a GoFundMe page that said it had been deleted. Anyway, your link works, so thank you!
naha66

Post by naha66 »

toofache32 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:26 pm
obgraham wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 pm I’m glad the doc sued.

These online reviews are a 1way street. Someone can post any amount of negative stuff, which may or may not be accurate. Often the thing that ticked them off is something completely different to what is written.

The doc has no defense. And if he posts his review of the patient, that would violate all sorts of regulations.

She tried to ruin him — he responded the only way possible.
Agreed. Docs are prohibited by HIPAA laws from responding with any details. This patient tried to pass off her visit as a "yearly" exam but then reported symptoms that require further investigation and no longer qualify for a free yearly exam. She is mad because she did not understand the insurance rules she signed up for. It's a common problem for patients trying to use a free yearly exam to get treatment for other issues not covered under the yearly exam.
I guess you know who's telling the truth, look's like a Dr said she said case. Oh that's right your a dr like obgraham. This part of suit tells you alot about this Dr. "The $1 million suit touts Joon’s Yale University training" I'm sorry that show how full of crap this Dr. is.
Last edited by naha66 on Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

This thread reminds me of the Texas wedding photographer who successfully sued a couple who trashed her online. Here is a link to the story. In that case, the customer was a blogger and she totally ruined the photographer's business. The blogger also put it in writing that she was trying to put the photographer out of business. :oops:
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

The root cause problem here is lawyers and their willingness to represent anyone for anything as long as money is involved combined with our judicial system enabling anyone to sue anyone else for any reason and forcing that lawsuit to enter the system before being thrown out by a judge. I got dragged into a lawsuit and had to have a bunch of correspondence at my expense before finally getting this lazy judge to dismiss me from the case (totally frivolous).

I did not think moderators allowed links to donation or funding sites, I had information linking a gofundme page removed from a previous post for that very reason :confused

Much of the population has no clue about either their specific medical coverage or an understanding of how their coverage relates to the care they need and the system works to make it as opaque as possible so I am not surprised at all the inappropriate bad reviews of docs that emerge from a lack of knowledge. That frustration should be directed at insurance and the federal government, but unfortunately physicians are the front line.

Finally, negative is spelled with an “e” in case OP wants to fix title for the spelling police.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

You have to be very careful when complaining in general. I am presently complaining to my insurance about a hospital not telling my insurance that they required $200 copay from me when there should be none - is hot water.
spectec

Post by spectec »

protagonist wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:11 pm
spectec wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:42 am
protagonist wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 pm 1. Anybody can sue somebody and lots of lawyers will eagerly take their money. It doesn't mean they will collect. I recall the psychic who sued a doctor because she claimed she lost her psychic powers after an MRI and could no longer work. That didn't stop me from reading MRIs.

2. 330 million Americans. You posted stories of two people who got sued. It made good sensational news. Pretty random anecdotes. Don't worry. Be happy.
Seems like a really good psychic would have known in advance that the MRI would cause a loss of powers, and would therefore have avoided getting one.
You must be a prosecutor. With those skills you will make DA in no time.
The incident reminded me of an episode of "Big Bang Theory" when Sheldon visits a psychic with Penny.
It went something like this...

Sheldon: (long silence), staring at psychic
Penny: "Sheldon, ask your question"
Sheldon: (to psychic) "I just did. What was it?"
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers