get sued for posting nagative online review?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
F150HD

get sued for posting nagative online review?

Post by F150HD »

Have been leery of posting online reviews of businesses I visit for various reasons.

A recent article I ran across mirrors one of my fears- getting sued for posting an honest (bad) review of a business.

My question....should one refrain from posting reviews online to avoid getting sued? (mainly refrain from posting 'bad' reviews). Is it worth the financial risk/ruin? (Yelp, Google, TripAdvisor etc)

Woman hit with defamation lawsuit by doctor over negative Yelp review

I wrote a negative Yelp review — and it made my life a nightmare

Maybe there's more to this story (I haven't combed the internet on it, just ran across this tonight).
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Alexa9

Re: get sued for posting nagative online review?

Post by Alexa9 »

Make sure your reviews are anonymous just in case. I would sue the review company if I got sued. Unless you are making multiple negative reviews or lying, I don't see how they could win.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

I went to the GoFundMe page the woman set up to help pay her legal bills. If you look down to see the updates, a nurse explains why she was billed what she was billed. I have a feeling the woman may not have understood how her insurance benefits would be paid? Don't know. :confused But there's a little bit more to it than that according to the woman. I hope there is some follow-up to this case. It would be nice to know the outcome.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

I try to always say "in my opinion" in my negative reviews. As long as it's truthful and your opinion you should be ok it seems to me.
NoHeat

Post by NoHeat »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 pm Make sure your reviews are anonymous just in case.
You are not truly anonymous. A subpoena will reveal your identity.

I would sue the review company if I got sued.
Sue Yelp? That will not work, especially because Yelp did you no harm by allowing you to speak for yourself.
ascension

Post by ascension »

I think it's an outlier that the lady got sued.

But if you are worried, why bother writing bad review?
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

NoHeat wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:49 pm
Alexa9 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 pm Make sure your reviews are anonymous just in case.

Sue Yelp? That will not work, especially because Yelp did you no harm by allowing you to speak for yourself.
I am not so sure in a civil case if they could do that. If Yelp revealed my identity I would sue them. Obviously you can sue anybody for anything these days. McDonald's customers are suing for $5M for cheese that they claim they didn't want on their burgers.
Anyways, I've noticed customer service is a lot better since Yelp.
Last edited by Alexa9 on Tue May 29, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

1. Anybody can sue somebody and lots of lawyers will eagerly take their money. It doesn't mean they will collect. I recall the psychic who sued a doctor because she claimed she lost her psychic powers after an MRI and could no longer work. That didn't stop me from reading MRIs.

2. 330 million Americans. You posted stories of two people who got sued. It made good sensational news. Pretty random anecdotes. Don't worry. Be happy.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 pm

I am not so sure in a civil case if they could do that.
Of course they can do that in a civil case. In fact, that will probably be their first goal of the discovery phase.
If Yelp revealed my identity I would sue them.
You would sue Yelp....for complying with a legal order? That won't be very helpful for you. (In my opinion of course :) )

And by the way, please see the Yelp terms of service regarding their right to comply with legal authorities.
Last edited by criticalmass on Tue May 29, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pawpatrol

Post by Pawpatrol »

The online reviews of doctors is challenging. Patients deserve to know how doctors are rated by other patients. Yelp/health grade/zoc doc etc are not appropriate as they likely will only reflect people who have had bad experiences. What a joke that some doctor sued over this.

Most well run organizations collect lots of survey data for individual doctors that is adjusted for speciality for internal purposes but rarely i have seen these distributed to patients. The data is harder to interpret than you would think.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:39 pm I went to the GoFundMe page the woman set up to help pay her legal bills. If you look down to see the updates, a nurse explains why she was billed what she was billed. I have a feeling the woman may not have understood how her insurance benefits would be paid? Don't know. :confused But there's a little bit more to it than that according to the woman. I hope there is some follow-up to this case. It would be nice to know the outcome.
She appears to have already deleted her GoFundMe page.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I’m glad the doc sued.

These online reviews are a 1way street. Someone can post any amount of negative stuff, which may or may not be accurate. Often the thing that ticked them off is something completely different to what is written.

The doc has no defense. And if he posts his review of the patient, that would violate all sorts of regulations.

She tried to ruin him — he responded the only way possible.
Last edited by obgraham on Tue May 29, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

criticalmass wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:04 pm ...
Well that just defeats the whole purpose of Yelp or any online rating system. If this were to become more widespread, I don't see why anyone would use Yelp and it would lose all credibility. I actually prefer to read the one star reviews of restaurants that I like to see what other people are seeing that I am not. These cases are pretty rare and it's usually someone lying/exaggerating or making multiple accounts. And if you really wanted to, you could definitely make your account anonymous. ratemyprofessor is another one that has created a lot of controversy and teachers have gotten the site to take down reviews.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pawpatrol

Post by Pawpatrol »

This doctor had like 3 reviews before the one negative one. This is why 1) yelp is not meaningful data in healthcare and 2) now the doctor had 30 negative reviews from this story. Businesses can respond like they typically do “Sorry to hear about your experience...please call us so we can try to....”
MnD

Post by MnD »

In my opinion........
I brought an old subaru (kids car) into Midas for warranty brakes which went OK and and then they said it needed a $2700 "suspension replacement" which in reality was 4 struts and a few bushings. Took it to my independent subaru mechanic and he said all 4 struts were fine and no bushings were damaged.

I gave a negative Yelp rating on Midas (which used to be honest and I've used for years just for brakes and exhaust) and a positive yelp rating on my subaru mechanic that I use for everything else. Midas corporate attempted many aggressive sounding contacts and then got both my Yelp reviews removed in less than 48 hours. After a long time my Midas review is still "missing" although my review of my independent mechanic is back up and highly rated.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm
criticalmass wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:04 pm ...
Well that just defeats the whole purpose of Yelp or any online rating system. If this were to become more widespread, I don't see why anyone would use Yelp and it would lose all credibility. I actually prefer to read the one star reviews of restaurants that I like to see what other people are seeing that I am not. These cases are pretty rare and it's usually someone lying/exaggerating or making multiple accounts. And if you really wanted to, you could definitely make your account anonymous. ratemyprofessor is another one that has created a lot of controversy and teachers have gotten the site to take down reviews.
A few years ago, there was a thread on BH (or a similar site) about service providers suing customers who left negative reviews on Angies List. In those cases, discovery wasn't needed to learn the reviewer's identity, because Angies List revealed reviewer identities to the service providers (but not to the general population reading reviews.) There are many instances of companies suing customers when they didn't like their review on review sites like Yelp, Angies List, etc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-sued ... gies-list/
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 pm

I am not so sure in a civil case if they could do that. If Yelp revealed my identity I would sue them. Obviously you can sue anybody for anything these days. McDonald's customers are suing for $5M for cheese that they claim they didn't want on their burgers.
Anyways, I've noticed customer service is a lot better since Yelp.
If Yelp received a subpoena, they could certainly reveal your name. Yelp's terms of service:
Privacy
You represent that you have read and understood our Privacy Policy. Note that we may disclose information about you to third parties if we have a good faith belief that such a disclosure is reasonably necessary to (i) take action regarding suspected illegal activities; (ii) enforce or apply our Terms and Privacy Policy; (iii) comply with legal process or other government inquiry, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, or other legal process served on us; or (iv) protect our rights, reputation, and property, or that of our users, affiliates, or the public. If you use the Site outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spectec

Post by spectec »

protagonist wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 pm 1. Anybody can sue somebody and lots of lawyers will eagerly take their money. It doesn't mean they will collect. I recall the psychic who sued a doctor because she claimed she lost her psychic powers after an MRI and could no longer work. That didn't stop me from reading MRIs.

2. 330 million Americans. You posted stories of two people who got sued. It made good sensational news. Pretty random anecdotes. Don't worry. Be happy.
Seems like a really good psychic would have known in advance that the MRI would cause a loss of powers, and would therefore have avoided getting one.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I would not have a problem if the people who are paid to post phony positive reviews on product websites are sued.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Fear is a terrible thing, do what you think is right.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm Well that just defeats the whole purpose of Yelp or any online rating system. If this were to become more widespread, I don't see why anyone would use Yelp and it would lose all credibility.
Well, Yelp’s credibility at least with me is somewhat limited anyway. See, for example:
MnD wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 pm I gave a negative Yelp rating on Midas (which used to be honest and I've used for years just for brakes and exhaust) and a positive yelp rating on my subaru mechanic that I use for everything else. Midas corporate attempted many aggressive sounding contacts and then got both my Yelp reviews removed in less than 48 hours. After a long time my Midas review is still "missing" although my review of my independent mechanic is back up and highly rated.
(I hope they won’t sue me now for posting a negative online comment about Yelp)
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Not if you use a VPN and an anonymous email.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

samsoes wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 am
Not if you use a VPN and an anonymous email.
Sometimes not even then.
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

The doctor would have been better off ignoring the bad review, or responding in a more caring & professional manner. By suing the patient, he is drawing a lot more negative publicity to himself & practice. Now EVERYONE knows about the case. It's in the newspapers.

Most people don't take every online review as 100% accurate. Instead, they look for common themes across multiple reviews.

Major PR error.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Any negative comments given at Yelp might not be the truth. I.e. when looking at reviews of a heating and AC business some looked like written by the competition. I have had very good experience with that business over the last 10 years and which is well known in my area since the 1970s.
MiddleOfTheRoad

Post by MiddleOfTheRoad »

Yelp is flawed.
Businesses try to bribe consumers to give good reviews.

Consumers use Yelp as an extortion tool to get discount or get out of paying all together (I have seen this happen: “if you don’t give me what I want I will post neg reviews on Yelp”. Not saying this is the case in this situation but people try to get out of paying like this all the time, ask your friendly plumber or electrician next time you see them)

As for medical care, there are other channels to pursue instead of fleshing it out on Yelp. To be fair, the doc cannot say anything because of privacy regulations. Both parties are petty in this case.
J295

Post by J295 »

Financial risk seem small.

In our state, the cause of action ( assuming no bad faith by the poster) would likely be libel, and to pursue a cause of action requires the aggrieved party to request a retraction in the same forum that the original review was posted. If one received such a notice, one could retract.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

Aren't these suits quite rare?

Can anyone cite a successful one? Meaning, name the parties and the court?
VTSAX - 50%, VBTLX - 50%
voodoo72

Post by voodoo72 »

She opened her self up saying " crooked business practices" and " I suspect this doctor gives unnecessary procedures to a lot of people then charges insurance sky high prices". People think that for the most part they can say whatever they want about physicians as most stay silent because of HIPAA issues and not wanting to run afoul of those rules.
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Right or wrong, the legal costs of a defamation defense are serious. Don't put it in writing (except, of course, on this board).
frugalmama

Post by frugalmama »

J295 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:51 am Financial risk seem small.
The financial risk doesn't come from the judgement, but rather the lawyer bills to defend yourself as the suits can drag on and on and on. You usually don't get lawyer fees back.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Alexa9 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 pmI am not so sure in a civil case if they could do that. If Yelp revealed my identity I would sue them.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ven-negat/
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

If what you posted is true, you did not commit a tort. I can say horrible, devastating, business shuttering things if they are true.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't post a lot of reviews online of anything. However, I am not going to be scared into not expressing my opinion because there is a very small chance you can be sued. As others said, try to be accurate in the facts, though much of a review is subjective. If you are really worried, I'm sure you could use a VPN (or go to a public place) and use a disposal email and it would be very hard if not impossible to track you down.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

voodoo72 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:52 am She opened her self up saying " crooked business practices" and " I suspect this doctor gives unnecessary procedures to a lot of people then charges insurance sky high prices". People think that for the most part they can say whatever they want about physicians as most stay silent because of HIPAA issues and not wanting to run afoul of those rules.
That is the issue on this one. Slander and libel are ILLEGAL. It will be up to the defendant to PROVE she is correct on her claims. As a physician he might be the shadiest doctor in the country, but he has the same rights as any other individual from slander and libel.

Have to chuckle that her complaint is based on having to pay an extra $500 for the visit and now she is down 20k! Hope it was worth it.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

MnD wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 pm In my opinion........
I brought an old subaru (kids car) into Midas for warranty brakes which went OK and and then they said it needed a $2700 "suspension replacement" which in reality was 4 struts and a few bushings. Took it to my independent subaru mechanic and he said all 4 struts were fine and no bushings were damaged.

I gave a negative Yelp rating on Midas (which used to be honest and I've used for years just for brakes and exhaust) and a positive yelp rating on my subaru mechanic that I use for everything else. Midas corporate attempted many aggressive sounding contacts and then got both my Yelp reviews removed in less than 48 hours. After a long time my Midas review is still "missing" although my review of my independent mechanic is back up and highly rated.
When to replace suspension parts can be subjective. Shocks are technically not performing as designed well before they are completely busted. Did they say the bushings were no longer serviceable or that they should be replaced at the same time?

If you drove a Honda that needed a timing belt replaced at 100,000 miles, do you look to see if it has cracks first or trust that it is just time? Do you also allow them to replace the water pump that works perfectly fine, because it is just a good practice to do that at the same time?

Your negative review may not have been as justified as you felt.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

+1 IP address among other things...hard to be anonymous anymore.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

ascension wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:53 pm I think it's an outlier that the lady got sued.

But if you are worried, why bother writing bad review?
sometimes one has a bad experience w/ a business and wants to warn other shoppers or bring notice to the public.

Similar to buying on EBAY.....but even now, if I have a bad Ebay seller, once I get $$ back I don't even leave a review. I fear they'll do the same to me making it harder for me to sell items on there (rarely do, but still....)
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

F150HD wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:05 pm

+1 IP address among other things...hard to be anonymous anymore.
Use a VPN. Go to the library. Or Starbucks. Or worry less :D
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

skepticalobserver wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:13 pm Right or wrong, the legal costs of a defamation defense are serious. Don't put it in writing (except, of course, on this board).
you mean libel. I've done reading on this in the past.....pretty interesting stuff. I guess its the world we live in now.

Social Media and Online Defamation
Understand key legal issues related to potential defamation on Facebook, blogs, Twitter, and elsewhere.

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV. :D
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 pm Use a VPN. Go to the library. Or Starbucks. Or worry less :D
and get recorded entering either venue! lol.... yes they track that stuff.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

staythecourse wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:03 pm Have to chuckle that her complaint is based on having to pay an extra $500 for the visit and now she is down 20k! Hope it was worth it.
those were my thoughts exactly when reading the article.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

F150HD wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:16 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 pm Use a VPN. Go to the library. Or Starbucks. Or worry less :D
Do you really think they are going to track a video down from months ago of you at a Starbucks? How could they possibly know which customer was on what website unless you were the only one in the shop at that time? Oh, and even if they got that far, how are they going to get your name? America's Most Wanted? I guess if you used a credit card that would help them.

I have had fraudulent purchases of thousands of dollars on my credit cards and they have never gone to any of the steps mentioned above. It would require a lot of resources and effort.

On top of that, they (more likely their lawyers) are 99% going to contact you and ask you to take the review down before suing you. It much cheaper for them to offer you a giftcard or something to remove the review than suing you.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 pm
Do you really think they are going to track a video down from months ago of you at a Starbucks? How could they possibly know which customer was on what website unless you were the only one in the shop at that time? Oh, and even if they got that far, how are they going to get your name? America's Most Wanted? I guess if you used a credit card that would help them.

I have had fraudulent purchases of thousands of dollars on my credit cards and they have never gone to any of the steps mentioned above. It would require a lot of resources and effort.

On top of that, they (more likely their lawyers) are 99% going to contact you and ask you to take the review down before suing you.
yes. I firmly believe if someone is invested enough, they will track you down.

CC behemoth companies....prob diff story. I've had my card stolen, I don't know what they do to try to find the thief, but I'd guess they write off the loss or something.
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

whodidntante wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:25 pm If what you posted is true, you did not commit a tort. I can say horrible, devastating, business shuttering things if they are true.
This is my understanding. If what you say is indeed true - then it isn't defamation. You are simply stating the facts.

Negative online reviews can sometimes get results. I had a couch fail shortly after warranty - several calls into the company went no-where. When I posted a negative review online (Yelp) a VP from the company actually posted a response giving me a name and number to contact directly. The problem was quickly fixed to my satisfaction. I did go back and update the review.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

F150HD wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:39 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 pm

On top of that, they (more likely their lawyers) are 99% going to contact you and ask you to take the review down before suing you.
yes. I firmly believe if someone is invested enough, they will track you down.

CC behemoth companies....prob diff story. I've had my card stolen, I don't know what they do to try to find the thief, but I'd guess they write off the loss or something.
I'm under the impression they write it off. Someone charged over $3k at a hotel on my card recently. I thought that it could be tracked down via video, but my guess is they did nothing. Maybe if it was $10k or more? If you think about it, having an investigator go to wherever the fraud took place, try to gather evidence, find the identities of the thieves, etc. would be quite expensive. They are probably also unlikely to get nothing back other than the satisfaction of possibly putting the criminal away.

Years ago I had a break-in at home and the police wouldn't even come out. There was a minimum threshold (the break in probably cost me around $1k). They said I can come to the police station and they'd be happy to take my report for the insurance company.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

spectec wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:42 am
protagonist wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 pm 1. Anybody can sue somebody and lots of lawyers will eagerly take their money. It doesn't mean they will collect. I recall the psychic who sued a doctor because she claimed she lost her psychic powers after an MRI and could no longer work. That didn't stop me from reading MRIs.

Seems like a really good psychic would have known in advance that the MRI would cause a loss of powers, and would therefore have avoided getting one.
LMAO !
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

Years ago I had a break-in at home and the police wouldn't even come out. There was a minimum threshold (the break in probably cost me around $1k). They said I can come to the police station and they'd be happy to take my report for the insurance company.
That happened to us once. I used to think it was so terrible in some countries where the police had to be paid off for everything. Now I think, well, at least you get something for it.