Chase Savings Account emptied out!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
JoMoney

Re: Chase Savings Account emptied out!

Post by JoMoney » Wed May 23, 2018 12:50 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 am
I called coinbase and they verified they don't have an account associated with my email. Maybe someone is stealing my ID?
Yes, they don't have an account associated with your email, but they probably have an account under your name (the name on your checking account), but associated to an email controlled by the fraudster.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Wed May 23, 2018 2:01 am

I was about to start a thread on this as I added a new payment account to my credit card. The payment account just needed a routing number and acct number, which I know are printed on paper checks. So I was wondering how they prevent fraud. Sure they could verify account names, in my case they would be the same, but there are plenty of married couples with different names, so I wonder if that would even flag a warning.

I am sure going to try to be more vigilant about checking my recent transaction logs in all my accounts.

Post by 808 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 pm
So today I received an email from coincide starting that a Chase checking account associated with my email had been linked to a coinbase account.

Of course, I don't have a coinbase account so I logged into my Chase account and there were several fraudulent ACH transactions, and a couple of micro deposits for account verification purposes. :shock:

So within the span of a week scammers managed to drain both the checking and savings account at Chase.
If they were able to verify the micro deposits (to link YOUR Chase checking to their Coinbase account in YOUR name), that means they have view access to your Chase checking account (online or app or by some other means that Chase allows). Assuming they have (or had) your login info, this is likely how they got your account numbers. I'd consider where / how you access your Chase accounts (e.g., PC, smartphone, etc.) and consider wiping those devices and reinstall (or restore from a known good backup).

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm
Gort wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:33 pm
Pajamas wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm
All they need is account number and routing number.
Easy to find. Both numbers are printed on your checks.
This was a savings account with no external transactions, or statements.
You may want to read this thread too :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=236760

It was a Chase savings account too that got drained. Was done in person, however.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 am

unclescrooge wrote:
I called coinbase and they verified they don't have an account associated with my email. Maybe someone is stealing my ID?
It sounds like they may have already done it. I suspect they also have all your passwords. It is time to reset them all.
You might want to visit https://www.identitytheft.gov/

jjg247

Post by jjg247 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:41 am

snowman wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:55 pm
123 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm
If they have the Chase routing number they can just guess at account numbers. Once they find an account number that works they can just keep transferring funds until it doesn't work anymore.

Depending on the type of savings account did Chase also charge you any transfer or excessive use fees? That would add insult to injury.
This happened to me with a different bank couple years ago. It wasn't my primary account, so I didn't pay attention until it was too late - I got hit with 2 fairly high fees and a letter was mailed to my house with some sort of threat. So I went down to the branch to find out what's going on.

Within 5 minutes they figured it all out - it was all bank's fault, and they reversed all charges and fees. What happened was that someone else's check got cashed out of my account, which then triggered several fees. Never expected this to happen at a major bank. Live and learn.
I checked my account balances one morning and saw some benevolent soul had paid off my HELOC in full without my knowledge. By the next day the Bank had reversed my windfall.

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Wed May 23, 2018 7:25 am

Our checking account is connected to our budgeting software (YNAB). I import transactions there frequently enough I'd see a bad charge.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed May 23, 2018 7:43 am

JoMoney wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:50 am
Yes, they don't have an account associated with your email, but they probably have an account under your name (the name on your checking account), but associated to an email controlled by the fraudster.
It does seem like someone has stolen unclescrooge's identity and is using it to open accounts and transfer money. Could be anything from an inside job at a financial institution, store, or other organization to mail theft to a phishing email to drive-by keylogging software. Could even be someone who was in the house at some point.

Unclesrooge, at this point you should treat this as full identity theft.
dknightd wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 am
unclescrooge wrote:
It sounds like they may have already done it. I suspect they also have all your passwords. It is time to reset them all.
Need to make sure that the computer and internet connection are secure first.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed May 23, 2018 9:29 am

Pajamas wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:43 am
JoMoney wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:50 am
It does seem like someone has stolen unclescrooge's identity and is using it to open accounts and transfer money. Could be anything from an inside job at a financial institution, store, or other organization to mail theft to a phishing email to drive-by keylogging software. Could even be someone who was in the house at some point.

dknightd wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Need to make sure that the computer and internet connection are secure first.
yep

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Wed May 23, 2018 9:32 am

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:32 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 pm
Review your accounts monthly. Reminder to myself. :wink:
I check every 2 weeks!
You can get cleaned out in much less than two weeks. I have text alerts for about anything over $100 from my checking accounts and credit cards and I check my accounts on a desktop usually every other day I feel like. I have all my accounts set to deny international charges, if I travel I lift that part. If you have recurring payments you almost have to check frequently. Also use Credit Karma and that gets updated weekly for anything creditworthy (new accounts, changes in score, account closures, etc. etc.).
I agree. I actually check daily which is a lot of different accounts but I feel like it helps me know what is going on better too. My husband went on a business trip and by the next morning after trying to run a card and it being "declined" -because he was out of state, we had over $750 in online charges by the next morning. It all started with a 2.99 charge.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 am

dollar_elbow wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 pm
It is stories like this that stop me from using Schwab as my primary bank. I still can't believe that in 2018 it is not possible to get account alerts on a Schwab checking account to monitor for this type of situation.
This is not correct. First, in order to do an ACH transfer out of a Schwab bank account, it has to be set up by filling out paperwork and sending it in which includes information about the account to which the funds are being transferred, and this takes some time during which you are notified that the process is set up. (I think they refer to this as a MoneyLink) I may be corrected about this, but it is my understanding that you cannot transfer money out of your Schwab account by ACH without having gone through the process of setting up the Moneylink. Also, once the link is set up, you are notified each time you (or possibly someone pretending to be you) initiates an ACH transfer from your bank account. I have initiated ACH transfers before and I have gotten the email notification that the transfer was initiated so fast that the notification email popped up before I closed the ACH transfer screen on the Schwab website.

Perhaps you are referring to the situation where someone initiates an ACH transaction from outside of Schwab without your authorization? I don't know what would happen in that situation because it has never happened to me.
Last edited by mptfan on Wed May 23, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 pm

madbrain wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Gort wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
You may want to read this thread too :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=236760

It was a Chase savings account too that got drained. Was done in person, however.
So depressing!

Gort

Post by Gort » Fri May 25, 2018 12:16 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Gort wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
Oops. Thanks for the clarification.

crit

Post by crit » Fri May 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Pajamas wrote:

unclescrooge wrote:
I want to underscore this advice. If you've been hacked by someone into cryptocurrency, this is not a one-off nor a benign event. In all seriousness, I'd be going all out at this point, reinstalling operating systems to make sure there is no spyware on all my devices. Change passwords everywhere. Batten down the hatches.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri May 25, 2018 1:04 pm

crit wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:25 pm
I want to underscore this advice. If you've been hacked by someone into cryptocurrency, this is not a one-off nor a benign event. In all seriousness, I'd be going all out at this point, reinstalling operating systems to make sure there is no spyware on all my devices. Change passwords everywhere. Batten down the hatches.
Yes, it could get worse. They might take Unclescrooge's computer hostage, commit crimes using his identity, etc.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri May 25, 2018 3:25 pm

crit wrote:
Pajamas wrote:

unclescrooge wrote:
So all three accounts at Chase got targeted. I closed down one and put restrictions on the other two (so I can see my history for 60 days).

Don't think my passwords were used to login. Chase let's you see which devices were used to login, and other than my cellphone and megacorp issued PC, there were no others.

But this is concerning. I know my private info was compromised during the Equifax data breech last year. Could this be a result of that?

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri May 25, 2018 4:05 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Chase let's you see which devices were used to login, and other than my cellphone and megacorp issued PC, there were no others.
Another point: Don't do private stuff on your megacorp-issued PC! There is likely a large group of admins who could even/likely be overseas, who would have remote access and monitoring capabilities and the knowledge/capability/permissons/motivation to cover their tracks.
"...There're just so many summers, and just so many springs." -Don Henley "What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri May 25, 2018 4:18 pm

TimeRunner wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:05 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Chase let's you see which devices were used to login, and other than my cellphone and megacorp issued PC, there were no others.
Another point: Don't do private stuff on your megacorp-issued PC! There is likely a large group of admins who could even/likely be overseas, who would have remote access and monitoring capabilities and the knowledge/capability/permissons/motivation to cover their tracks.
While the IT is US-based, they're still capable of the same. :oops:

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri May 25, 2018 4:21 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:25 pm
crit wrote:
Pajamas wrote:

unclescrooge wrote:
So all three accounts at Chase got targeted. I closed down one and put restrictions on the other two (so I can see my history for 60 days).

Don't think my passwords were used to login. Chase let's you see which devices were used to login, and other than my cellphone and megacorp issued PC, there were no others.

But this is concerning. I know my private info was compromised during the Equifax data breech last year. Could this be a result of that?
Passwords have been changed and the form on identytheft.gov has been submitted.
I also reviewed my credit report and it looks good. I also placed a 90 day fraud alert with the credit bureaus.

Next step is to update the firmware on my router this weekend.

Anything else?

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:30 pm
Credit reports are frozen. Bank account is closed!
Did you also freeze your ChexSystems report? From what I understand, it is usually pulled for bank/brokerage account applications.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Longtermgrowth wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:30 pm
Credit reports are frozen. Bank account is closed!
Did you also freeze your ChexSystems report? From what I understand, it is usually pulled for bank/brokerage account applications.
Thanks for the reminder. I've put a 90 day alert on it.

khh

Post by khh » Fri May 25, 2018 11:00 pm

TimeRunner wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:05 pm
I do banking and financial transactions with a Kindle Fire. Is that something I shouldn't be doing? Which devices are the safest to use?

evestor

Post by evestor » Sat May 26, 2018 12:57 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:21 pm
Passwords have been changed and the form on identytheft.gov has been submitted.
I also reviewed my credit report and it looks good. I also placed a 90 day fraud alert with the credit bureaus.

Next step is to update the firmware on my router this weekend.

Anything else?
Two factor authentication on everything.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:07 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:25 pm

unclescrooge, has Chase been able to tell you exactly how your accounts were accessed?
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat May 26, 2018 6:30 am

I would avoid doing personal financial business from a PC or any other device that is owned by your employer. Buy your own equipment, and use it only for personal business. Don't mix business and personal on the same computer.
Retiree with a pension and a 60/40 taxable portfolio: Total Stock + Total Int'l + Total Bond + Interm Term Tax Exempt.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat May 26, 2018 8:01 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 pm
Thanks for the reminder. I've put a 90 day alert on it.
At this point I would actually freeze your reports vs the alerts. I assume Chase will be making you whole again after they get the fraud affidavit.

I dont think this would be a result from the Equifax breech, usually credit agencies do not report checking and savings accounts.

How are your statements delivered? Online or snail mail? Perhaps someone got ahold of a bank statement.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat May 26, 2018 9:14 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 pm
Automated Clearing House transactions have two financial institutions- sender and receiving bank. You make claim with Chase, Chase will make claim with receiving bank, receiving bank will attempt to recover funds from recipients. Depending on amounts involved, legal authorities may be brought in.

Review your accounts monthly. Reminder to myself. :wink:
As quick and easy as it is to check a bank using a password manager I'd say weekly checks are easy enough.

GoldenGoose

Post by GoldenGoose » Sat May 26, 2018 9:38 am

Gosh. You freaked me out so I immediately went and checked my account. To my relief my $10 millions were still there. :greedy