Chase Savings Account emptied out!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
unclescrooge

Chase Savings Account emptied out!

Post by unclescrooge » Mon May 21, 2018 2:24 pm

I checked my bank account and saw that there were 9 ACH transfers over a 3 day period from my Chase savings account.

It's a savings account and I've never disclosed this information to anyone. How could they have gotten it?

SrGrumpy

Re: Chase Savings Account emptied out!

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon May 21, 2018 2:27 pm

What did Chase say?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm

All they need is account number and routing number.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon May 21, 2018 2:37 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:27 pm
What did Chase say?
They said they'll reverse the charges within 10 days after they receive a signed letter from me saying that these charges are fraudulent.

Luckily I have other bank accounts to tied me over till then.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon May 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Chase knows where the money went and if those were unauthorized fraudulent transactions, then Chase will have to restore the account (or at least I *hope* that is the *law*)

I remember we had similar discussion a while ago about something similar with another case and somebody who works for the banking industry did tell us that if you have the routing numbers, the money can be siphoned off trivially. Only the threat of being federal guest prevents somebody from intentionally doing that. There are NOT technical hurdles at all.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm
So they can just put in request on random numbers and see which ones work? :shock:

hightower

Post by hightower » Mon May 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Could be identity theft too. This is precisely the sort of thing that happens with data breaches like Equifax when our personal information is stolen.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon May 21, 2018 2:40 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:37 pm
Chase knows where the money went and if those were unauthorized fraudulent transactions, then Chase will have to restore the account (or at least I *hope* that is the *law*)

I remember we had similar discussion a while ago about something similar with another case and somebody who works for the banking industry did tell us that if you have the routing numbers, the money can be siphoned off trivially. Only the threat of being federal guest prevents somebody from intentionally doing that. There are NOT technical hurdles at all.
That's scary!

Chase recommended I close down the account and open a new one. Would that actually make a difference?

Post by 123 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm

If they have the Chase routing number they can just guess at account numbers. Once they find an account number that works they can just keep transferring funds until it doesn't work anymore.

Depending on the type of savings account did Chase also charge you any transfer or excessive use fees? That would add insult to injury.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon May 21, 2018 2:46 pm

123 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm
If they have the Chase routing number they can just guess at account numbers. Once they find an account number that works they can just keep transferring funds until it doesn't work anymore.

Depending on the type of savings account did Chase also charge you any transfer or excessive use fees? That would add insult to injury.
The Chase Routing number is *public* information; little bit of Googling will give you that.

You should close the account because there is a chance that perpetrator has forwarded the information to other people.

The thing is whether the said person ends up in jail or not is not something you get to decide but up to Chase.

Keep us posted. If this topic become active, we will get the experts from the banking reconciliation folks to chime in.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon May 21, 2018 2:48 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:38 pm
Pajamas wrote:
So they can just put in request on random numbers and see which ones work? :shock:
Hard to say, I don't know how bank account numbers are created. There are so many ways to get an actual account number. If you have online access, at a minimum make sure your computer is secure, your internet connection is secure, your email password is secure, etc. Do you get paper statements? I would also check all other accounts and consider asking for email notification of transactions.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Automated Clearing House transactions have two financial institutions- sender and receiving bank. You make claim with Chase, Chase will make claim with receiving bank, receiving bank will attempt to recover funds from recipients. Depending on amounts involved, legal authorities may be brought in.

Review your accounts monthly. Reminder to myself. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

snowman

Post by snowman » Mon May 21, 2018 2:55 pm

123 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm

This happened to me with a different bank couple years ago. It wasn't my primary account, so I didn't pay attention until it was too late - I got hit with 2 fairly high fees and a letter was mailed to my house with some sort of threat. So I went down to the branch to find out what's going on.

Within 5 minutes they figured it all out - it was all bank's fault, and they reversed all charges and fees. What happened was that someone else's check got cashed out of my account, which then triggered several fees. Never expected this to happen at a major bank. Live and learn.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon May 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 pm
Automated Clearing House transactions have two financial institutions- sender and receiving bank. You make claim with Chase, Chase will make claim with receiving bank, receiving bank will attempt to recover funds from recipients. Depending on amounts involved, legal authorities may be brought in.

I check every 2 weeks!

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Mon May 21, 2018 3:06 pm

This is a good reminder for everyone to sign up for e-mail/text alerts (bank, brokerage and credit card) so you get a notification whenever there is account activity.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon May 21, 2018 3:22 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:40 pm
Chase recommended I close down the account and open a new one. Would that actually make a difference?
Probably not a bad idea

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon May 21, 2018 3:25 pm

I hope its faster than 10 days, my local credit union had the money back in my account the next morning after going to their branch after work to sign and notarize a letter saying it was fraudulent.

thangngo

Post by thangngo » Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:24 pm
I checked my bank account and saw that there were 9 ACH transfers over a 3 day period from my Chase savings account.

It's a savings account and I've never disclosed this information to anyone. How could they have gotten it?
Do you use check? If it's fraudulent, then you don't have to worry about losing money.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:32 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:54 pm
I check every 2 weeks!
You can get cleaned out in much less than two weeks. I have text alerts for about anything over $100 from my checking accounts and credit cards and I check my accounts on a desktop usually every other day I feel like. I have all my accounts set to deny international charges, if I travel I lift that part. If you have recurring payments you almost have to check frequently. Also use Credit Karma and that gets updated weekly for anything creditworthy (new accounts, changes in score, account closures, etc. etc.).

arf30

Post by arf30 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 pm

I don't understand why banks don't send you an email that says "Please log in to confirm/deny new electronic transfer" when an ACH request comes in from a new source.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Yankuba wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:06 pm
This is a good reminder for everyone to sign up for e-mail/text alerts (bank, brokerage and credit card) so you get a notification whenever there is account activity.
^This.

There is no reason not to have text or email alerts on all your financial accounts.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm
Yankuba wrote:
^This.

There is no reason not to have text or email alerts on all your financial accounts.
I have this for checking accounts. I had no idea I could even transfer money out of a savings account to third parties.

codmaxkor

Post by codmaxkor » Mon May 21, 2018 4:26 pm

unclescrooge wrote:

Maybe take this opportunity to open a savings account at a bank that pays more than Chase's abysmally low rates?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:27 pm

I check my main accounts every morning using a browser add-on called, "Morning Coffee".

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm

arf30 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 pm
I don't understand why banks don't send you an email that says "Please log in to confirm/deny new electronic transfer" when an ACH request comes in from a new source.
Because the financial world would come to a stop. Literally tens if not hundreds of millions of transactions every day.

Cheers

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon May 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Yankuba wrote:
+1 I have the threshold set at $100 for checking and $0.01 for savings for all transactions. I get a text notice for every transaction that meets or exceeds the thresholds. (There are no and should never be any transactions in the savings account that I don't personally initiate myself from my credit union's website.)

Our primary checking account is the same account my wife opened as a teenager in 1986. The account number and routing number are unchanged, as far as I know, since 1986. All you need is one of the hundreds or thousands of checks we wrote in the 90's and 00's or one of the few we've written in the 10's to have both the account number and routing number on the bottom.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Similar here to preceding poster. We write checks on our checking account for the last 30 years, checks have bank routing number and account number on it, but we never had a problem with people siphoning out money. We check this account every 2 weeks, pay bills every 2 weeks, after running Malwarebytes and Webroot first though. So there must be something else with that account of the original poster.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon May 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 pm
arf30 wrote:
Because the financial world would come to a stop. Literally tens if not hundreds of millions of transactions every day.

Cheers
I think the onus is on the institution that initiates the ACH pull request to verify the transaction is valid and authorized. That would explain why some banks severely limit transactions you initiate through them, but allow gigantic amounts of money to fly out of your account no questions asked if requested by another bank. It's also why Fidelity, Schwab, and other institutions have a secure account linking procedure, and a secure process for requesting a transaction. Fidelity and Schwab even put a hold on ACH pulled funds, just in case all that failed.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon May 21, 2018 6:44 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Dumpster diving, stolen mail, hacking, phishing, social engineering, luck, or an inside job.

Post by 2015 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
arf30 wrote:

Cheers
Actually, they do have something of this sort. They're called text/email alerts. I have them on every account.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Mon May 21, 2018 7:12 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
arf30 wrote:

Cheers
Actually, they do have something of this sort. They're called text/email alerts. I have them on every account.
Agreed. However that is much different than having an email sent for a transaction asking you to login and confirm/deny. The system would grind to a halt. I was commenting on the specific scenario and method the person I quoted proposed.

Cheers.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:12 pm
2015 wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
arf30 wrote:

Cheers
Agreed. However that is much different than having an email sent for a transaction asking you to login and confirm/deny. The system would grind to a halt. I was commenting on the specific scenario and method the person I quoted proposed.

Cheers.
There's no reason it couldn't be opt-in, and only the first time per payee.

Alerts are great but they're reactive, not proactive.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 pm

Why would you not close the account and open a new one? What is the downside? At the very least, it shows Chase that you are interested in helping to prevent your funds being siphoned off fraudulently.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Yankuba wrote:
Perfect advice. I did this.
Recently got a text message that my Chase account was overdrawn $300,000.00 !!!!! :shock:

Error on my part on an ACH transfer. Called Vanguard and Chase and they fixed it.
Did "wake me up". :oops:

j

dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow » Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 pm

It is stories like this that stop me from using Schwab as my primary bank. I still can't believe that in 2018 it is not possible to get account alerts on a Schwab checking account to monitor for this type of situation.

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon May 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Easy to find. Both numbers are printed on your checks.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Tue May 22, 2018 1:20 am

2015 wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
arf30 wrote:

Cheers
Can we get text alerts on VG accounts we have ?

student

Post by student » Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 am

gamboolman wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:20 am
2015 wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
arf30 wrote:

Cheers
You may want to check out this page. https://investornews.vanguard/sign-up-f ... -features/

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm
Yankuba wrote:
^This.

I have this for checking accounts. I had no idea I could even transfer money out of a savings account to third parties.
There was probably an option that allowed electronic transfer of funds. These options may default to allow unless you opt out. Make sure you understand what options are available when you setup new account and restrict options/access you do not want.

For example, my primary bank set my HELOC up so I can electronically transfer funds to checking. I rarely get funds from it so I opted not to allow electronic transfer from HELOC. This means I either write a check from account or go to the bank to transfer funds. This is slightly inconvenient but much more preferable to me to reduce my risk.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 am

Check your credit reports for other fraudulent activity.
Check your computer for potential malicious software.

As others have pointed out, the bank will know where the money was transferred to, which would likely have been to another bank. Most financial institutions for security purposes require that the account transferring from have the same name as the account being transferred to... I might also be worried about fraudulent accounts being opened out there in my name.
Hopefully it was all just a mistake / typographical error.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 22, 2018 10:07 am

Gort wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:33 pm
Pajamas wrote:
The routing number is public information, so crooks just need to come up with an account number.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 am

This is a downside of being connected into the banking system.

I asked if it was possible to say "No ACH transfers" from this account. "Not possible" was the reply. I minimize the funds I keep in bank/credit union.

I like that Vanguard requires a verification for each bank account that does ACH transfers.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:25 pm
I hope its faster than 10 days, my local credit union had the money back in my account the next morning after going to their branch after work to sign and notarize a letter saying it was fraudulent.
Ditto. My CU had missing funds back in my account within a few hours of filing a report and signing it at their office.

I have enabled notification alerts on all my financial holdings (bank accts, credit cards, etc), it recently alerted me to a breach with my Chase Freedom credit card before the transaction went through. Called Chase, reported it and the card was shut down within 15 mins of the breach.
Last edited by Info_Hound on Tue May 22, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

uberme

Post by uberme » Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am

Wow that is crazy! I would definitely close the account and enable text/email notification for the new.

Post by 2015 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 pm

student wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 am
gamboolman wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:20 am
2015 wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
arf30 wrote:

Cheers
You may want to check out this page. https://investornews.vanguard/sign-up-f ... -features/
Thanks for answering. I'm signed up with every security feature on every account I have. Thanks to a heads up from VictoriaF, I also now subscribe to Krebs on Security to keep me apprised of the latest and greatest data insecurities in our supposedly secured data world:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Gort wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:33 pm
Pajamas wrote:
This was a savings account with no external transactions, or statements.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue May 22, 2018 1:30 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 am
Check your credit reports for other fraudulent activity.
Check your computer for potential malicious software.

As others have pointed out, the bank will know where the money was transferred to, which would likely have been to another bank. Most financial institutions for security purposes require that the account transferring from have the same name as the account being transferred to... I might also be worried about fraudulent accounts being opened out there in my name.
Hopefully it was all just a mistake / typographical error.
Credit reports are frozen. Bank account is closed!

I had alerts set up, but it was set to Android, instead of text, which apparently doesn't do anything. :oops:

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 pm

So today I received an email from coincide starting that a Chase checking account associated with my email had been linked to a coinbase account.

Of course, I don't have a coinbase account so I logged into my Chase account and there were several fraudulent ACH transactions, and a couple of micro deposits for account verification purposes. :shock:

So within the span of a week scammers managed to drain both the checking and savings account at Chase.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 pm
So today I received an email from coincide starting that a Chase checking account associated with my email had been linked to a coinbase account.

Of course, I don't have a coinbase account so I logged into my Chase account and there were several fraudulent ACH transactions, and a couple of micro deposits for account verification purposes. :shock:

So within the span of a week scammers managed to drain both the checking and savings account at Chase.
You didn't think you did...
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/e ... -customers
The name on the linked bank account must match the verified name on your Coinbase account.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 am

JoMoney wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 pm

You didn't think you did...
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/e ... -customers
The name on the linked bank account must match the verified name on your Coinbase account.
I called coinbase and they verified they don't have an account associated with my email. Maybe someone is stealing my ID?