Tenant/Landlord Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LXEX55

Tenant/Landlord Question

Post by LXEX55 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:55 am

I rent my condo in Florida out to a fine tenant. She has been living there five years and we have had a great relationship. Her lease expires Nov. 1. I will be retiring this year, and therefore cannot renew her lease. Does anyone know how far in advance I am required to tell her that I will not be renewing. As of now, I plan to do it some time in mid June.

ResearchMed

Re: Tenent/Landlord Question

Post by ResearchMed » Tue May 15, 2018 12:03 pm

LXEX55 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:55 am
I rent my condo in Florida out to a fine tenant. She has been living there five years and we have had a great relationship. Her lease expires Nov. 1. I will be retiring this year, and therefore cannot renew her lease. Does anyone know how far in advance I am required to tell her that I will not be renewing. As of now, I plan to do it some time in mid June.
This probably depends upon one or both of the terms of the lease and the state landlord-tenant rules.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 pm

LXEX55 wrote:
Why not tell her now? Why wait until June?

Read the lease to see if it says anything about it. Apparently there is no law in Florida governing notification that you will not renew a lease but there might be local laws or some other circumstance such as age that affects it or gives the tenant the right to stay in the condo.

enclee

Post by enclee » Tue May 15, 2018 12:13 pm

It depends on your lease, state, and local landlord/tenant laws. I was required to give a 30 day notice per the lease, but gave my tenant a 45 day notice as a courtesy. I understood that moving in a rental market that has less than 3% vacancy is very difficult on a short timeline. Plus, the financial responsibilities tied into moving with security deposits and moving expenses.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Yes, check the lease and state and local laws. If nothing is said about it (which I find hard to believe) I would think 60 days would be adequate.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm

LXEX55 wrote:
Why can you not renew her lease? Will you be moving back into the condo?

I would tell her now. The relationship has been good. Keep it that way by giving her as much advance notice as possible. Then she has plenty of time to look and decide where to go next.

Plus, you're thinking mid June to let her know. It's mid May. There's not much difference between the two. Give her the additional 30 days notice.

Have you not mentioned to her once in 5 years that the condo wouldn't be rented out forever and 2018 or 2019 might be the last year?

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue May 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Where in Florida? Would it happen to be in Palm Beach county?

LXEX55

Post by LXEX55 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:45 pm

No, it is in St. Pete

LXEX55

Post by LXEX55 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:47 pm

chevca wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm
LXEX55 wrote:
Why can you not renew her lease? Will you be moving back into the condo?

I would tell her now. The relationship has been good. Keep it that way by giving her as much advance notice as possible. Then she has plenty of time to look and decide where to go next.

Plus, you're thinking mid June to let her know. It's mid May. There's not much difference between the two. Give her the additional 30 days notice.

Have you not mentioned to her once in 5 years that the condo wouldn't be rented out forever and 2018 or 2019 might be the last year?
I cannot renew because I am going to live there myself when I retire in early December.
She knows that it would not last forever, I told her that when she first signed on a few years back.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm

I prefer to give at least 60 days notice.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Okay, that makes sense then.

I say, let her know now. The relationship has been good between you, she knew it was coming sometime, and I'd give her as much advance notice as possible, if I were in your shoes. It sounds like the relationship was a little more than strict landlord/tenant and you got to know each other a little. That's fine and glad it worked out. That can go badly too. But, I think that makes for some discretion to be used on your part and no need to look for some law to follow exactly. The landlord police aren't going to come find you if you give too much advanced notice. :happy

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Tue May 15, 2018 3:12 pm

chevca wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:56 pm
Okay, that makes sense then.

I say, let her know now. The relationship has been good between you, she knew it was coming sometime, and I'd give her as much advance notice as possible, if I were in your shoes. It sounds like the relationship was a little more than strict landlord/tenant and you got to know each other a little. That's fine and glad it worked out. That can go badly too. But, I think that makes for some discretion to be used on your part and no need to look for some law to follow exactly. The landlord police aren't going to come find you if you give too much advanced notice. :happy
1+ The more the better. I would consider trying to time the move out for a time that you can be there and you both can go over the place and settle any deposit returns, mandated cleaning fees, and go over any unusual damages that may or may not be something to discuss.

Good luck on retirement.

togb

Post by togb » Tue May 15, 2018 7:34 pm

The notification requirement will be outlined in your lease. Typically after the first year, it goes month to month and either party can terminate with 30 days written notification. (unless you have renewed for another year).

But if she's been a good tenant, and you are certain you will not allow her to renew, then I'd give her more notice, as a courtesy.