Bicycle insurance? when you're in the roadway like a car

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
F150HD

Bicycle insurance? when you're in the roadway like a car

Post by F150HD » Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Was reading that when you are riding a bicycle in a bike lane or in the street (commuting for example) that if you cause an accident your 'homeowners' will cover you (property damage and injuries to other parties). Is this true?

For some reason I'm having trouble believing this. A car/truck needs to carry insurance by law; your homeowners doesn't cover you if you cause an accident while you are driving (unless I missed something?)

....a bicycle riding in the street by law is considered the same as a car/truck, so, why wouldn't they need their own liability insurance in the event they cause an accident?

livesoft

Re: Bicycle insurance? when you're in the roadway like a car

Post by livesoft » Mon May 14, 2018 3:59 pm

I suppose they/we can still be the subject of a lawsuit.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Homeowners insurance generally provides some overall liability insurance. Can apply to someone walking across the street as well.

jym

Post by jym » Mon May 14, 2018 5:30 pm

The details may vary state to state and from policy to policy, and can probably be best answered by asking your insurance provider point-blank.

I was a cyclist injured by an automobile. The other driver's liability insurance paid me, and my car insurance policy paid out both medical and underinsured driver coverage to me. It made no difference to anyone that I was on my bicycle and not in my car that day. If I as a cyclist injured someone else I would expect that my auto insurance liability would come into play, but I don't know this for a fact. I should call my car insurance company and find out.

For what its worth: it did not occur to me, either car insurance company, or anyone's lawyers to inquire after my rental insurance.

Having been in an accident, this now seems like a good thing to be certain about. If you don't own a car, that may mean bicycle insurance.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Might not answer all your questions, but this is a pretty helpful overview of insurance coverage and insurance needs for cyclists: https://www.bikelaw.com/2016/06/does-au ... accidents/
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 pm

What about bicyclists who don't own or drive a car? Or pedestrians who don't drive, for that matter. What kind of insurance should they get? (This is an actionable question for beloved relatives who simply do not drive, for financial, prudence, and environmental reasons.)

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Mon May 14, 2018 6:56 pm

If you want to know if something is covered, read your policy. In general, you need a specific policy for automobiles, watercraft, and aircraft. Most other unintentional torts, unrelated to business pursuits, would fall under your homeowner's policy.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 pm

It's pretty unlikely you would cause a car crash on the road where you were at fault, but more likely you might accidentally knock another cyclist off their bike and cause them injury or hit a pedestrian on a shared bicycle/ped path.

If you buy the bike or pay the bike-share with your credit card, would the CCs rental or travel insurance be valid?

We have one car, home/auto insurance, and a 2M umbrella policy, so I'm pretty sure I'm covered, but would need to read the documents... which I'm not going to do.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 pm
What about bicyclists who don't own or drive a car? Or pedestrians who don't drive, for that matter. What kind of insurance should they get? (This is an actionable question for beloved relatives who simply do not drive, for financial, prudence, and environmental reasons.)
Their renter's/homeowner policy would cover their liability. If they wanted uninsured motorist coverage, they would need a non-owner auto policy, which may be of debatable value if they have good health/life/disability insurance.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Pedestrian insurance for pedestrians and bicycle insurance for cyclists of course. :oops:

I wouldn’t worry much about it as cyclists generally do limited damage and pedestrians even less. Now either is subject to a lot of damage caused by others, so a good health insurance plan is probably the most important insurance to have.

How much liability coverage would you get? Comp/col? Medical? Rental?

Btw, AAA provides roadside assistance for cyclists.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insuran ... icyclists/

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 pm

My son was hit by a motorist while riding a bicycle. He was not at fault. My insurance agent said his medical expenses would be covered by our auto insurance. When we checked in to the ER, the hospital insisted that we provide our medical insurance, and I insisted that I was not going to because this falls under auto insurance, and that was the only insurance info I gave them. I did not want them turning the bills into the wrong place. Our auto insurance covered his medical bills, as our agent said it would.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm
dodecahedron wrote:
Pedestrian insurance for pedestrians and bicycle insurance for cyclists of course. :oops:

I wouldn’t worry much about it as cyclists generally do limited damage and pedestrians even less. Now either is subject to a lot of damage caused by others, so a good health insurance plan is probably the most important insurance to have.
I was somehow under impression that regular health insurance simply does not cover medical expenses due to auto accidents, which is why car owners need to buy PIP. Are you saying regular health ins will cover medical for a pedestrian victim if he doesn't have an auto PIP policy?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm

I was somehow under impression that regular health insurance simply does not cover medical expenses due to auto accidents, which is why car owners need to buy PIP. Are you saying regular health ins will cover medical for a pedestrian victim if he doesn't have an auto PIP policy?
There are situations where another policy (auto, homeowners, travel, corporate) would be considered primary. But otherwise, health insurance will pay.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 am

munemaker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 pm
My son was hit by a motorist while riding a bicycle. He was not at fault. My insurance agent said his medical expenses would be covered by our auto insurance. When we checked in to the ER, the hospital insisted that we provide our medical insurance, and I insisted that I was not going to because this falls under auto insurance, and that was the only insurance info I gave them. I did not want them turning the bills into the wrong place. Our auto insurance covered his medical bills, as our agent said it would.
My understanding is that you need only provide your health insurance info. Your health insurance company will send you a questionnaire asking about the nature and cause of the accident and asking about your other insurance and about the at-fault-driver's insurance. Then, if possible, they will get themselves reimbursed for your medical expenses.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 am

How medical bills get paid in the case of an auto crash varies from state to state. So, nobody can answer that question without knowing where you live. For example, the concept of "PIP" doesn't even apply in my state, where your health insurer pays first and they may be entitled to recover a part of what they paid from any legal settlement that is ultimately arrived at later on down the road.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 am

Cycle wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 pm
It's pretty unlikely you would cause a car crash on the road where you were at fault
unless I'm misunderstanding...I have to disagree. I see cyclists routinely using bike lanes then blasting thru red lights, making illegal turns, ignoring stop signs etc doing everything one in a car is not allowed to do despite being required to observe the same rules when in the roadway. I've almost gotten into accidents because of bicyclists on the roadway and have seen them nearly cause accidents between other vehicles.
Regardless, in the roadway they are a 'vehicle', which was the original questions context.
Last edited by F150HD on Tue May 15, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue May 15, 2018 5:43 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm
The whole PIP thing is confusing to me personally. My understanding is my medical WILL cover me if in an accident and I'm hurt etc. why wouldn't it?

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 am

I see cyclists routinely using bike lanes then blasting thru red lights, making illegal turns, ignoring stop signs etc doing everything one in a car is not allowed to do despite being required to observe the same rules when in the roadway. I've almost gotten into accidents because of bicyclists on the roadway.
Yeah. Sure.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue May 15, 2018 6:18 am

stlutz wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:45 am
I see cyclists routinely using bike lanes then blasting thru red lights, making illegal turns, ignoring stop signs etc doing everything one in a car is not allowed to do despite being required to observe the same rules when in the roadway. I've almost gotten into accidents because of bicyclists on the roadway.
Yeah. Sure.
stlutz, are you saying you don't believe them? Come to a city like Seattle, watch the bicyclists around here, and you will see perfectly what they're talking about. Bicyclists and even pedestrians can cause accidents.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue May 15, 2018 7:16 am

F150HD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 am
Cycle wrote:
It's pretty unlikely you would cause a car crash on the road where you were at fault
unless I'm misunderstanding...I have to disagree. I see cyclists routinely using bike lanes then blasting thru red lights, making illegal turns, ignoring stop signs etc doing everything one in a car is not allowed to do despite being required to observe the same rules when in the roadway. I've almost gotten into accidents because of bicyclists on the roadway and have seen them nearly cause accidents between other vehicles.
Regardless, in the roadway they are a 'vehicle', which was the original questions context.
We need 20s plenty now

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue May 15, 2018 11:21 am

F150HD wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm
....a bicycle riding in the street by law is considered the same as a car/truck, so, why wouldn't they need their own liability insurance in the event they cause an accident?
A bicycle ridden in the street is* a vehicle but it is not a motor vehicle. The insurance requirements are* in motor vehicle law.

This might seem a technicality but, first, the law is nothing but technicalities; and, second, there are orders of magnitude differences in the amount of energy involved and potential damage. The difference in impact shows up in the history of traffic law, insurance requirements were added because cars where doing a lot of harm to third parties.

* for certain meanings of "is".

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am

My relative had their foot run over by a golf cart in a parking area at a golf club. Her AUTO insurance covered her medical costs, and then went after the golf cart driver's auto insurance for reimbursement. The golf cart driver's auto insurance ultimately paid for loss of ability to do activities for a year, etc.

In short, get treated for the injury. Provide, as was said, your medical insurance information. The different companies will figure out who is covering what for the specific situation, and will attempt to recover from the at-fault party after that.

If you ride a bike and don't have an auto policy, your homeowner's or rental policy will cover your liability and/or medical costs.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue May 15, 2018 3:12 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (insurance).

Before this discussion gets derailed, please state your concerns in a civil, factual manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Tue May 15, 2018 8:47 pm

If I'm injured while riding my bicycle, I'll visit the hospital and provide them with all my insurance policies (health / auto / renters) and let the insurance companies fight it out. Likely, they'll try collecting from the driver who hit me. I actually think that renters / homeowners might provide coverage in case I have any liability associated with a bicycle accident as this is "other than auto" related losses.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm

stlutz wrote:
Yeah. Sure.
Are you saying you disagree with the observations above? I see the same thing every day. Bikes go through red lights causing vehicles to swerve, bicycles blow by stop signs where bike trails intersect busy streets, bikes weave through heavy traffic. Heck, I’ve seen bicycles split the lanes on Storrow Drive near Kenmore Square in Boston at rush hour.

All good reason to check your policies AND have umbrella policies. I don’t have medical on my auto policies, but our household has medical insurance.

matatupuncher

Post by matatupuncher » Tue May 15, 2018 11:35 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm
stlutz wrote:
Yeah. Sure.
Are you saying you disagree with the observations above? I see the same thing every day. Bikes go through red lights causing vehicles to swerve, bicycles blow by stop signs where bike trails intersect busy streets, bikes weave through heavy traffic. Heck, I’ve seen bicycles split the lanes on Storrow Drive near Kenmore Square in Boston at rush hour.

All good reason to check your policies AND have umbrella policies. I don’t have medical on my auto policies, but our household has medical insurance.
stlutz is obviously making a joke in response to the above post. Cagers frequently engage in far more dangerous driving than cyclists ever could by riding their bike. Do some cyclist engage in obnoxious riding? Sure, on occasion just the same as clueless old people gumming up the aisles in the grocery store. The point being made is that it's extremely unlikely that a cyclist would cause an injury whereas cyclists face a constant threat of injury or death from inattentive drivers.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 am

Are you saying you disagree with the observations above? I see the same thing every day
What I was laughing at was the picture of this utopia where there are perfectly law-abiding motorists who are driving the speed limit, coming to a complete stop at every stop sign, not gunning it when the turns yellow, and waiting for walkers in the crosswalk. And then in come the kids riding their bikes to school to terrorize them with their lawless behavior.

Americans aren't a law-abiding sort on the roadways, regardless of the means of transportation (foot, bike, motorcycle, car, truck etc). The result is that the number of people we kill each year on them is pretty staggering compared to other developed countries.

To get back to the original question, if the OP was injured by a cyclist while they were driving their car, we've established that there are insurance policies that can be collected from if you win a court judgment, including homeowners, renters etc. Of course the reason that insurance companies have no issue providing such coverage is because they so rarely have to pay out on it.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:32 am

stlutz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 am
To get back to the original question, if the OP was injured by a cyclist while they were driving their car, we've established that there are insurance policies that can be collected from if you win a court judgment, including homeowners, renters etc. Of course the reason that insurance companies have no issue providing such coverage is because they so rarely have to pay out on it.
All cars are legally obligated to carry auto insurance. No law mandates anyone carry homeowners or renters insurance.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm

matatupuncher wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:35 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 pm
stlutz wrote:
Yeah. Sure.

stlutz is obviously making a joke in response to the above post. Cagers frequently engage in far more dangerous driving than cyclists ever could by riding their bike. Do some cyclist engage in obnoxious riding? Sure, on occasion just the same as clueless old people gumming up the aisles in the grocery store. The point being made is that it's extremely unlikely that a cyclist would cause an injury whereas cyclists face a constant threat of injury or death from inattentive drivers.
I disagree. Some drivers and bicycle riders operate far worse than merely obnoxiously. Comparing that to a comment about elderly folks walking inside a supermarket is a non-sequitur and dismissive of hazardous bike behavior. Last month on a street nearby a biker decided to zoom across the street instead of stopping for a red light. A car with the right away swerved due to the bike darting in their path, and a collision with a second car ensued. The bicyclist kept pedaling away amidst all of the carnage. One was hospitalized, not sure about what happened after that. Last year, the local police visited a road where a bike trail crosses a street. Bicycles have a STOP sign. Nearly every biker was cited by the police for running the stop sign. Even the police (who've seen it all) couldn't believe that more bikes kept blowing by the stop sign right next to the police officers already writing a ticket to the previous biker. Running red lights and stop signs is hazardous and deadly to ALL. Claiming that it is not so bad for bicyclists to do because they are not protected by a "cage" [?] does not make sense. Would we tolerate similar behavior from motorcycles and mopeds? I assume that most adult bikers also operate motor vehicles, so should know better. Regardless, auto insurance will likely cover you when walking or biking IF you have auto insurance. Otherwise, you can only hope to get a claim on the at-fault's liability insurance.
Last edited by criticalmass on Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trueblueky

Post by trueblueky » Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 pm

A female relative was hit by a left-turning motorist while she was walking across the street in the crosswalk with the light. Her auto insurance covered the expenses, and the accident reflected on her driving record. This, in a no-fault state. She was surprised that her auto insurance covered her while a pedestrian.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed May 16, 2018 4:35 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm
I disagree. Some drivers and bicycle riders operate far worse than merely obnoxiously. Comparing that to a comment about elderly folks walking inside a supermarket is a non-sequitur and dismissive of hazardous bike behavior. Last month on a street nearby a biker decided to zoom across the street instead of stopping for a red light. A car with the right away swerved due to the bike darting in their path, and a collision with a second car ensued. The bicyclist kept pedaling away amidst all of the carnage. One was hospitalized, not sure about what happened after that. Last year, the local police visited a road where a bike trail crosses a street. Bicycles have a STOP sign. Nearly every biker was cited by the police for running the stop sign. Even the police (who've seen it all) couldn't believe that more bikes kept blowing by the stop sign right next to the police officers already writing a ticket to the previous biker. Running red lights and stop signs is hazardous and deadly to ALL. Claiming that it is not so bad for bicyclists to do because they are not protected by a "cage" [?] does not make sense. Would we tolerate similar behavior from motorcycles and mopeds? I assume that most adult bikers also operate motor vehicles, so should know better. Regardless, auto insurance will likely cover you when walking or biking IF you have auto insurance. Otherwise, you can only hope to get a claim on the at-fault's liability insurance.
This is an example of a reckless driver going too fast for conditions and getting into an accident, or at least sounds like it. If there are bikes around, go at a safe speed, 15-20mph. Beyond 20mph accidents often result in a fatality when a cageless person is struck. The bike operator was very reckless, but when pedestrians and bikes are around it's best to go slow. The speed limit is not the number on the sign.

There is a movement called twenty is plenty (20s plenty), which hundredss of towns have adopted in the UK. 15 million people live in communities with this law, which is 20mph on streets with peds and cyclists. In cities like Bristol, the arterials have high speed limits.

http://www.20splenty.org

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 am

matatupuncher wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:35 pm
The point being made is that it's extremely unlikely that a cyclist would cause an injury whereas cyclists face a constant threat of injury or death from inattentive drivers.
Dont agree w/ that in any form. its not about the 'bike' hitting someones 'car' or 'truck' and injuring the car/truck driver, its about the cyclist causing the car/truck to swerve/move/adjust and forcing them into an accident with another vehicle, a parked car, a tree etc., Lord forbid the adjustment needs to come in the middle of a busy intersection.
criticalmass wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm
Last month on a street nearby a biker decided to zoom across the street instead of stopping for a red light. A car with the right away swerved due to the bike darting in their path, and a collision with a second car ensued. The bicyclist kept pedaling away amidst all of the carnage. One was hospitalized, not sure about what happened after that. Last year, the local police visited a road where a bike trail crosses a street. Bicycles have a STOP sign. Nearly every biker was cited by the police for running the stop sign. Even the police (who've seen it all) couldn't believe that more bikes kept blowing by the stop sign right next to the police officers already writing a ticket to the previous biker. Running red lights and stop signs is hazardous and deadly to ALL.
This gets at the crux of my original post. I don't commute on a bicycle, but the way many of them ride becomes an insurance risk for everyone. And if they don't have insurance to cover someone else who they injure by their actions.....hence my question about insurance in post #1.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 am

F150HD wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 am
This gets at the crux of my original post. I don't commute on a bicycle, but the way many of them ride becomes an insurance risk for everyone. And if they don't have insurance to cover someone else who they injure by their actions.....hence my question about insurance in post #1.
The solution to people breaking the law is not insurance. It is engineering, education and enforcement.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 am
F150HD wrote:
The solution to people breaking the law is not insurance. It is engineering, education and enforcement.
Perhaps that a society best practice (good luck) but I don't see that as a personal solution. How does your solution suggestion help a citizen or person injured by someone breaking the law pay for their own medical care when the bills start arriving?

ArchibaldGraham

Post by ArchibaldGraham » Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 am

It sucks that there are a few stories where irresponsible cyclists caused harm to others, but these anecdotes are totally divorced from the actual risk statistics. There are 30,000-40,000 stories where people DIED in car accidents each year and most of them did not involve bicycles.

Cyclists are really not the problem for any responsible motorist to worry about seriously in regards to their own safety. The risk is overwhelmingly on the cyclist as there are a few asymmetries in that bikes weight 20 lbs and motor vehicles weight 2000-5000+ lbs, and bikes go 10-20 MPH, but motor vehicles can go a bit faster :)

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu May 17, 2018 10:23 am

criticalmass wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am
Epsilon Delta wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 am
F150HD wrote:
Perhaps that a society best practice (good luck) but I don't see that as a personal solution. How does your solution suggestion help a citizen or person injured by someone breaking the law pay for their own medical care when the bills start arriving?
You (criticalmass) and F150HD are discussing two different things.

Criticalmass is discussing using your own insurance to protect your self against intentional and accidental acts of others. This is something you can do for yourself. You can, and probably do, have your own insurance to cover you for things other people do to you. Your medical insurance will cover injuries to you; your comprehensive auto insurance will cover damage to your vehicle; your home owners insurance will cover damage to your house and some other property. All of these will protect you against errant cyclists, Frisbees and a great many other rare events. Worrying about cyclist in particular is dread disease syndrome. In some cases the insurer will be able to try to recover from the responsible party, but that should not matter to you since you are paid either way. In some cases different insurers may fight among themselves over who covers it. Again it should not matter to you.

F150HD is discussing the tortfeasor having insurance to cover you for the damages they cause. They may or may not have insurance or sufficient assets. Requiring them to have sufficient insurance or assets is a societal solution. And it is not the low hanging fruit if society wants to take action.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu May 17, 2018 4:53 pm

ArchibaldGraham wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 am
It sucks that there are a few stories where irresponsible cyclists caused harm to others, but these anecdotes are totally divorced from the actual risk statistics. There are 30,000-40,000 stories where people DIED in car accidents each year and most of them did not involve bicycles.

Cyclists are really not the problem for any responsible motorist to worry about seriously in regards to their own safety. The risk is overwhelmingly on the cyclist as there are a few asymmetries in that bikes weight 20 lbs and motor vehicles weight 2000-5000+ lbs, and bikes go 10-20 MPH, but motor vehicles can go a bit faster :)
Somewhat contradictory that cyclists wear a 'helmet' for safety (?) yet they ride in the roadway where "The risk is overwhelmingly on the cyclist as there are a few asymmetries in that bikes weight 20 lbs and motor vehicles weight 2000-5000+ lbs". If the true interest is 'safety', bicyclists should only be on bike paths, in parks etc. not on city streets.

Kinda like the "order a Big Mac and a Diet Coke" thing.....they kinda work in opposite directions :)

Anyway....if this thread gets locked I'd completely understand it. Just that bike lanes on city streets are becoming more prevalent so this discussion will arise in many cities (like mine as it is now).

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Thu May 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Cycle wrote:
It's pretty unlikely you would cause a car crash on the road where you were at fault, but more likely you might accidentally knock another cyclist off their bike and cause them injury or hit a pedestrian on a shared bicycle/ped path.
LIike others above have pointed out - Literally every single day during the summer on my commute to work I see bicyclists run red lights, turn without any type of signal, cross into opposing traffic lanes, cutoff cars and pedestrians at intersections,etc. Basically acting as if the rules of the road dont apply if one does not have an engine. And the more the riders outfit/gear looks like they are practicing for the Tour de France, the more likely they seem to ignore the rules.

I dont think its far fetched at all to think a bike could be at fault in an accident. Whether the authorities and/or insurance would agree?, I do not know....

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (derailed to rant about bicyclists). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.