Lucrative careers?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TheFishGuy99

Lucrative careers?

Post by TheFishGuy99 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:06 pm

I’m 26 years old planning on going back to college to finish my undergrad and I’m unsure what I want to do as a career. I thought maybe bogleheads may have some suggestions. I’d like to someday make 100k a year (who wouldn’t)

Careers I’ve looked into are:

-Law (I love law, I read law books for fun, but the job prospects look terrible for grads and if you don’t make the top law schools it’s a bad investment according to some)
-Medical - rn or pa or do (great pay and security but I find medicine very boring and I’m just not the right guy for the job honestly, I’d be in it for the money which is wrong. Patients need good people in there )
- biology careers ( I’d be very happy doing this because I love animals and biology but most biology jobs pay 60k or less, which is good pay but less than I’d like to make someday)

Is there any other careers that are in demand and pay good? Maybe some of you my age or older can give me some insight on choosing a promising career. Thanks

Gronnie

Re: Lucrative careers?

Post by Gronnie » Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 pm

I started my CS degree around your age.

Spedward

Post by Spedward » Fri May 11, 2018 11:43 pm

Accounting. It can never hurt to learn the laungage of Business.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri May 11, 2018 11:47 pm

You could get a CS degree. Lots of companies paying $200k+ these days.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Fri May 11, 2018 11:50 pm

If you really like biology bioinformatics is a growing and rapidly advancing field... but you would likely be needing a Phd to qualify for most of the employment opps. (2 yrs more undergrad I presume and about 5 yrs more for a Phd).

Skills/backgrounds pertinent to bioinformatics are Math and statistics, computer science ( ability to learn programming and scripting skills), and general genetics with the ability to do well in molecular genetics classes. Careers seem to be ok in both academics and industry.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sat May 12, 2018 12:19 am

Welder
"La Bella Luna"

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Sat May 12, 2018 12:22 am

Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat May 12, 2018 12:59 am

If you learn to play the guitar or to play them drums then you get money for nothin'.

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Sat May 12, 2018 1:43 am

Lawyers either make 200k+, or 40-60k, with very little in-between (feel free to google the lawyer “bimodal distribution”). It’s very lucrative to the ~10% of students who wind up at a top law school feeding into a top law firm... but the *vast* majority are looking at several hundred grand in debt with mediocre earning potential.

In your shoes, I would go for some form of CS or engineering. CS is the hottest field, but something like electrical/chemical/mechanical engineering is always in demand and can lead to six-figure salaries once you have some experience under your belt.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sat May 12, 2018 2:47 am

Maybe you should take a variety of of undergrad classes and see if you feel passionate about a subject matter. A career starts from there. Good luck.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sat May 12, 2018 3:16 am

Of the careers you mentioned, I think medicine / nursing has good potential. Perhaps there are areas in the field that you'd find more interesting.

Many people have suggested computer science. I'd recommend this if you scored around 750 or higher on the math part of the SAT.

aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer » Sat May 12, 2018 3:42 am

Its a great time to get into aviation. Huge amounts of mandatory retirements coming in the next 15 years.

That alone will help prevent any stagnation if there is much of a market downturn again, like after 9/11.

The initial rating costs are 60-100k, if you go through a quick pilot progam. They can certainly be done cheaper.
If my kids want to get into it, id buy a plane for 20-30k and have them get their initial time and ratings. Planes hold their value on the back end well. Salaries, even at the regionals have come up over 50k starting. Most of the major airlines dont even require a 4 year degree anymore.

3 year upgrade to captain at many of the large national and even legacy carriers now. Income potential easily in the 200-300 range.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 am

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. Find your passion and go all in with it. As Warren Buffett has said numerous times, "Don't Sleep Walk Through Life". At your age, do the hard work to find that passion, when you are my age, you will thank your younger self.

P.S. The problem with looking at what careers pay and are secure today, may not stay that way throughout your working life. Many so called hot careers when I was your age, are pretty much gone today. If you are going into it just for the money and security, you will definitely regret it at some point.

Good Luck!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Sat May 12, 2018 5:36 am

randomizer wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:22 am
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
Tacking onto this, anything that has to do with numbers or data. Particularly non-traditional / unstructured data like images, call center transcriptions, converting publicly available information like 10k's into high value business decisions.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:19 am

TheFishGuy99 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:06 pm
I’m 26 years old planning on going back to college to finish my undergrad and I’m unsure what I want to do as a career. I thought maybe bogleheads may have some suggestions. I’d like to someday make 100k a year (who wouldn’t)

-Law (I love law, I read law books for fun, but the job prospects look terrible for grads and if you don’t make the top law schools it’s a bad investment according to some)
-Medical - rn or pa or do (great pay and security but I find medicine very boring and I’m just not the right guy for the job honestly, I’d be in it for the money which is wrong. Patients need good people in there )
- biology careers ( I’d be very happy doing this because I love animals and biology but most biology jobs pay 60k or less, which is good pay but less than I’d like to make someday)

Is there any other careers that are in demand and pay good? Maybe some of you my age or older can give me some insight on choosing a promising career. Thanks
Why include do and not md? You realize getting into do is substantially harder than rn or np right? And getting in to do with gap years in college is almost unheard of. Possible but really hard.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:23 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:47 pm
Lol youre kidding right? 200k is only for thr fortunate few who work in facebook or google or start their own. Maybe if op can explain where his experience is we can help. These fields require enormous aptitude and are not easy to succeed in.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:26 am

Op tell us your experiences so you can get better advice. How did you do in college. Why did you stop. What is a good income you are looking for. Np and rn make be 60-110 depending on circumstances. With training its not unheard of crna making 200 but this is starting to disappear-saturation, drop in reimbursement etc.

What accomplishments, skills, experiences, education do you have?

regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:39 am

If you have an affinity towards computers, definitely take a look at computer science or data science. You will easily hit $100k with a good pedigree and some skill. Lots of opportunities in both fields and you can get in and out of school quickly for a reasonable price. They are also very broad so you will have the ability to cross industries.

If you want to push the edge, take a look at Blockchain engineering or Quantum computing. Those jobs will be extremely lucrative in the future, but they are more narrow and are riskier. I suspect they will be sought after the same way computer vision engineers currently are for autonomous driving.

Pretzel lover

Post by Pretzel lover » Sat May 12, 2018 7:02 am

Pharmacist

Not an easy program or job but starting salary over $100K from day one.

Edit- more like $120K
Last edited by Pretzel lover on Sat May 12, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

student

Post by student » Sat May 12, 2018 7:02 am

jayk238 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:26 am
What accomplishments, skills, experiences, education do you have?
This is an excellent question. There are many variables in the equation. You need to find something that both interests you and fits your natural ability.

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Sat May 12, 2018 7:25 am

jayk238 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:23 am
KyleAAA wrote:
Lol youre kidding right? 200k is only for thr fortunate few who work in facebook or google or start their own. Maybe if op can explain where his experience is we can help. These fields require enormous aptitude and are not easy to succeed in.
So does some of the big financial services companies and investment banks (work for one myself with more than that level of income as a software developer) if work for the right department/projects, compensation is based on base salary and a sizable bonus.

Making big money in IT can also be easier if choose to take the path of corp to corp consulting gigs rather than seeking to be a full time employee in many industries. Not all that hard to make a minimum of $70 per hour going up to and beyond $100 per hour if have some experience in the right technologies in consulting.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Sat May 12, 2018 7:55 am

For someone targeting a 4-5 year degree, I'd recommend:
CPA / Accounting - will always be in demand (death and taxes). Large accounting firms have partner-path careers where $200K+ not uncommon for most the successful. Services are needed in every town across America.

Petroleum Engineering - highly paid, even within the engineering field likely highest paid. Starting salaries $70K+ with generous incentive comp right out of school. Managers at multi-national and smaller independent oil and gas companies easily make $200K+incentive comp

Computer science / data science - best jobs are on west coast, although even towns with < 100K people have a need for business providing managed IT services, support, and in some cases software development. Large incentive comp packages at brand name CA firms.

Supply chain - It is not uncommon for even moderately sized companies to have a C-suite person or Chief Procurement officer. Supply chain managers typically make over $100K and good ones make much more depending on area of country. Starting salaries can be in the $50K-$70K range.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

tmcc

Post by tmcc » Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 am

Pretzel lover wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:02 am
Pharmacist

Edit- more like $120K
The pill counters are one of the first health care professions that will be automated. The ratio of pharmacists employed per pharmacy is going to go wayyyyyyy down in the next few years. Radiologists and Anesthesiologists to follow most likely.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Sat May 12, 2018 8:08 am

TheFishGuy99 wrote:

RNs don't make 100k.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 am

njdealguy wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:25 am
jayk238 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
So does some of the big financial services companies and investment banks (work for one myself with more than that level of income as a software developer) if work for the right department/projects, compensation is based on base salary and a sizable bonus.

Making big money in IT can also be easier if choose to take the path of corp to corp consulting gigs rather than seeking to be a full time employee in many industries. Not all that hard to make a minimum of $70 per hour going up to and beyond $100 per hour if have some experience in the right technologies in consulting.
Understood- and agree with most of what you say. However, while banks and IT can pay a lot especially in consulting- that doesn't mean that everyone gets to that level. It takes years to rise to that status and even then there is no guaranteed path to it

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 am

masonstone wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:08 am
TheFishGuy99 wrote:

RNs don't make 100k.
I agree, some can - especially in managerial -RN director - positions after years of experience but generally they wont. Also, with Overtime, locums, and so forth they can make good money that way. CRNAs can break that level and so can NPs but the ceiling is usually around 150 in lucrative long hour markets

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 am

You said you love law, so why not take a practice LSAT and see how well you do? If you get a decent number you could go the law school route and study for the LSAT while you finish your undergrad.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 am

tmcc wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 am
Pretzel lover wrote:
Pharmacist

Edit- more like $120K
The pill counters are one of the first health care professions that will be automated. The ratio of pharmacists employed per pharmacy is going to go wayyyyyyy down in the next few years. Radiologists and Anesthesiologists to follow most likely.
I think clinical pharmacists are here to stay, running warfarin clinics, helping in the wards with medications and so forth makes them very necessary and not easily replaced.

I think next few years is a little too hopeful. I think all of medicine is here to stay in some capacity for the next 10-20 years. I dont see radiologists being replaced anytime soon. Many go into IR and there has been a certain culling of the ranks recently due to teleradiology already. I suspect by then there will be so few radiologists to begin with focused on very specific fields- IR, stroke, academic centers that I think their jobs will be safe.

Anesthesiology gets a bad rap for being 'easy' and 'automatic' and thats really the field's own doing. But its actually very challenging and not ripe for replacement. I wont get into the midlevel vs Doc issue here as it is a sensitive subject but rest assured that these doctors' jobs are safe.

If anything machine learning will simply allow doctors to do more with less. I suspect what will happen is that NPs, CRNAs, and PAs will eventually be replaced by doctors themselves as they are able to do more with less.
Last edited by jayk238 on Sat May 12, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat May 12, 2018 8:26 am

MBAs from top 50 schools come out making $100K+ but you need an undergrad plus 3-5 years work experience to get into most programs

tmcc

Post by tmcc » Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 am

jayk238 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 am
tmcc wrote:
Pretzel lover wrote:
Pharmacist

Edit- more like $120K
I think clinical pharmacists are here to stay, running warfarin clinics, helping in the wards with medications and so forth makes them very necessary and not easily replaced.

I think next few years is a little too hopeful. I think all of medicine is here to stay in some capacity for the next 10-20 years. I dont see radiologists being replaced anytime soon. Many go into IR and there has been a certain culling of the ranks recently due to teleradiology already. I suspect by then there will be so few radiologists to begin with focused on very specific fields- IR, stroke, academic centers that I think their jobs will be safe.

Anesthesiology gets a bad rap for being 'easy' and 'automatic' and thats really the field's own doing. But its actually very challenging and not ripe for replacement. I wont get into the midlevel vs Doc issue here as it is a sensitive subject but rest assured that these doctors' jobs are safe.

If anything machine learning will simply allow doctors to do more with less
exactly. the staffing models will change for Anesthesiology practices and there will most definitely be reductions in reimbursement for lower RVUs due to automation.

This has actually already happened with IR but CMS has been can kicking on reducing reimbursement to avoid unending the system.

its coming. but the pill counters will be the first. they are wildly overpaid for what they do.
Last edited by tmcc on Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deltaflaze

Post by Deltaflaze » Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 am

jayk238 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 am
masonstone wrote:
TheFishGuy99 wrote:

RNs don't make 100k.
I agree, some can - especially in managerial -RN director - positions after years of experience but generally they wont. Also, with Overtime, locums, and so forth they can make good money that way. CRNAs can break that level and so can NPs but the ceiling is usually around 150 in lucrative long hour markets
False. 100k as an RN is completely realistic for entry RNs. Just have to be okay with OT hours. For example, Hospital RNs in Wisconsin start at ~34 and then differentials bump you up to 37-38 for working PMs or NOCs. Working 4 12's a week at $38/hr is over 100k. RN shortage is so massive that its easy to get these types of hours. That's not even including any on-call pay. And thats STARTING pay.

I did that and got my DNP as an Acute Care NP over the last 5 years and the hospital even paid my grad school tuition (that incentive is gone now... ) I think OP's issue stands though in that you should WANT to do it because it's not easy work. Plenty of times where I worked 52 hours without ever sitting in a chair and didn't pee or eat.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 am
You said you love law, so why not take a practice LSAT and see how well you do? If you get a decent number you could go the law school route and study for the LSAT while you finish your undergrad.
Yes, the law game is dramatically different if you can get a 170+ LSAT. You’ll have a choice between going for free or going to a school with excellent job prospects, or both.

TheFishGuy99

Post by TheFishGuy99 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:55 am

OP here, just to answer some questions ppl asked:

My experience is around 2 years(no ad yet) completed at a local college(no top school or anything) with a 3.5 mostly general classes (history, bio, math, etc). Math is by far my worst subject

I’ve done construction for a few years and then took care of a family member who was ill and died for over a year. That’s why I don’t think I’d like nursing Bc I was a caregiver for a family member 24/365 and I feel burned out on it honestly. But maybe the actual job is totally different I’m not sure

Someone asked why I said do instead of md. Some DO schools have an average gpa of 3.5 which I have so realistically speaking if I was going to try med school entry id have a better chance of DO. There are also do and pa schools near my house so I could live at home. However I’m 26 so PA program is probably a better investment at my age

Taking a practice lsat sounds like a good idea. I’ve fooled around with it before and thought it was fun just trying to figure the questions out.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Sat May 12, 2018 9:01 am

Deltaflaze wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 am
jayk238 wrote:
masonstone wrote:
TheFishGuy99 wrote:

RNs don't make 100k.
False. 100k as an RN is completely realistic for entry RNs. Just have to be okay with OT hours. For example, Hospital RNs in Wisconsin start at ~34 and then differentials bump you up to 37-38 for working PMs or NOCs. Working 4 12's a week at $38/hr is over 100k. RN shortage is so massive that its easy to get these types of hours. That's not even including any on-call pay. And thats STARTING pay.

I did that and got my DNP as an Acute Care NP over the last 5 years and the hospital even paid my grad school tuition (that incentive is gone now... ) I think OP's issue stands though in that you should WANT to do it because it's not easy work. Plenty of times where I worked 52 hours without ever sitting in a chair and didn't pee or eat.
What I’m saying is true. Of course there can be exceptions for RNs working 80 hrs/week in wholly undesirable areas like Saudi Arabia or Wisconsin. Most RNs make around 60-80k. There is no shortage in RNs in places you’d want to live.
Last edited by masonstone on Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:12 am

Some lucrative jobs require that you be really smart, like medicine, law, CPA, etc. Are you really smart and dedicated so that you will do extremely well when you return to school, and are you prepared to go to graduate school?

Some lucrative jobs require that you are extremely gifted. Are you? Can you throw a fastball in the upper 90's, or play a musical instrument extremely well, or engage in other activities in demand?

Make an honest assessment of your talents, willingness to work hard, and areas of interest and passion. Pursue those.

chillyuber

Post by chillyuber » Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 am

jayk238 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
He's not kidding.. I'm in the Boston area and personally making ~240-250k/year going forward at given current RSU levels I don't work at Facebook/Google I work at a second tier firm. Most engineers I know at local companies are close to 200 or higher. Facebook, from what i hear, is going to 300k in total comp for the equivalent position.

200k is actually very easy to get around here now for a senior dev. I was recently speaking with a head hunter she said most firms will go to about 170-190k base for a senior candidate and once you throw in stock and RSU you are well over 200. Not all companies pay RSU but a lot do.

pindevil

Post by pindevil » Sat May 12, 2018 9:27 am

tmcc wrote:
Pretzel lover wrote:
Pharmacist

Edit- more like $120K
How is one able to automate a pharmacist's job? Also, how are you able to circumvent the laws requiring a pharmacist to review your prescription before dispensing?

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Sat May 12, 2018 9:38 am

Blue collar service jobs and product representative/sales roles seem to be two of the most over looked careers. In business school, sales roles were looked down upon, but it seems people I know with the job love it and prosper.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat May 12, 2018 9:42 am

masonstone wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:01 am
Deltaflaze wrote:
jayk238 wrote:
masonstone wrote:
TheFishGuy99 wrote:

RNs don't make 100k.

What I’m saying is true. Of course there can be exceptions for RNs working 80 hrs/week in wholly undesirable areas like Saudi Arabia or Wisconsin. Most RNs make around 60-80k. There is no shortage in RNs in places you’d want to live.
Like almost everything else, it is totally area dependent. I have two nurses currently on my staff (who left the hospital system to work in private industry, due to pay), two sister in-laws who are nurses in the general area, and at my previous job almost my entire staff (of 30) was RNs, none of them make even $60k/yr in our MCOL area and they are experienced. I know my SIL's brother makes ~$80k as an RN in California without working much overtime and he's just a few years out of school.

This is a silly topic. OP, what are you good at? Someone will compensate you well if you are really good at something...as long as that something isn't like social work. If you can sell things, you might not need a degree at all to make 6-figures almost immediately. Or, if you are willing to do undesirable jobs, in undesirable areas, and deal with job instability, you could get a job in Oil & Gas and make 6-figures immediately. My brother makes ~$250k/yr, when he's working, as a contractor in O&G and he has nothing more than a GED.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat May 12, 2018 10:04 am

OP,

1) All careers are very lucrative if you are the best in that area. So, could you be best in that area?

2) The careers that are very lucrative but you do not have to be very good in it are those that are boring and not in the hot area. For example, plumber, electrician, handyman, locksmith, and so on.

3) The best compromise is something that you can be better than the average folks because of your born talent and you like it.

In summary, you are asking the wrong question. The correct questions should be

A) What area that I am good at?

B) What area that I am willing to work very hard at even it does not work out to pay well?

Please note that in almost any area, even the best need to spend around 10,000 hours of their lives to be very good in that area. Are you willing to invest that amount of your time in that without knowing you may or may not get paid for your effort?

KlangFool

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Sat May 12, 2018 10:04 am

President of USA :D :D :D :D failing that a Senator 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat May 12, 2018 10:08 am

OP,

You do not need your career to be lucrative in order to be rich. In fact, even if your career is lucrative, you still might be poor. It is not the income. It is how much you save and invest.

Regardless of how much you earn, if you can save and invest 1 year of your expense every year. You will be rich in 20+ years.

KlangFool

Pacman

Post by Pacman » Sat May 12, 2018 10:11 am

OP - If you plan to do a business related undergrad, accounting would be a decent choice. Like you, I was terrible at math but okay at accounting since I like counting money :-). You don't need to be a genius to do well in this profession. Passing the CPA just took time commitment, and moving up the ranks has been due to work ethic and communication skills. In terms of salaries, most accounting grads start out at between $40-$65K out of school, and can start hitting $100K when they hit a manager job title which can take 5-6 years for the more ambitious and a bit longer for everyone else.

aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer » Sat May 12, 2018 10:16 am

Again, look into becoming an airline pilot. At 26, you can be at a legacy or large national airline easily by age 32.

Challenging job, always something different, fun career, great money once you reach the airlines, free travel, 14-18 days off a month, varied schedules, FREE DIET COKES..... etc, I could go on and on. Some people may hate the travel life, but it has been a very fruitful career for me. And it gives me the time to do other things.

jminv

Post by jminv » Sat May 12, 2018 10:21 am

Engineering is an option, particularly the specialties involved in the commodity sector. Although I picked a different engineering specialty from petroleum engineering, although I was still within the realm of highly paid ones, i did take petroleum courses for 3 years concurrent with my other engineering majors courses. Petroleum is honestly one of the easiest engineering majors out there and is not difficult at all from an academic standpoint. If you’re interested in working overseas you can make much more than that within a few years.

I too was interested in law and at one time medicine as well. I decided that neither really fit my personality and wasn’t something I’d enjoy doing long term. I’m no longer in engineering since I’ve always liked business end of things more, but engineering was what got me to where I am now.

By the way, having witnessed a lot of people In all the listed professions in this thread, high pay does not equal wealthy. You can have a lucrative job in the sense that you make a lot of money but if you don’t save most of it early on to allow compounding to work its magic you’re unlikely to end up truly wealthy. I knew I needed the maximum amount of money early on so went to work overseas out of college, Rose far more rapidly than I would have in the USA, had most of my expenses covered by my companies, and was able to building up my savings much quicker than my peers.
Last edited by jminv on Sat May 12, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellowgirl

Post by yellowgirl » Sat May 12, 2018 10:23 am

Don't do accounting. Most likely you have to be manager with CPA license to get 100K. I see a lot of payroll records and the trend I see is : IT especially programmers and some don't even have degrees. Engineers also make good money.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 12, 2018 10:23 am

jayk238 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
And you would likely need to live in an area where housing is crazy expensive. $100K is more probably doable in most major cities if you have the latest skills and a few years experience.

The numbers in some of the posts have been all over the place but you can get more realistic numbers on the BLS website for pretty much any type of job.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-in ... .htm#tab-7

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes151132.htm#st

You can even look up what the high paying jobs are in your city.

https://www.bls.gov/bls/blswage.htm#Metropolitan

Once you get to your city or state, like this one, then click on the "annual mean wage" column heading to sort it by income.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_12060.htm

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:29 am

2 words: Government Job (if you are lucky enough to find one; you normally need to have an insider connection because these jobs are the Holy Grail of Job Security, Quality of Work Life, and pensions/benefits and even competitive salary and definitely long-term happiness).

I say it over and over to anyone young (and therefore desirable to employers): Get a gov't job in any field that is acceptable to you (meaning not dangerous or physical, at least to me).

Don't believe it? Try talking to people over 40 in corporate jobs an gov't jobs. Or even read about it here in Bogleheads to get an anecdotal idea of gov't vs. non-gov't job conditions.

Go anywhere in the country you have to find a gov't job. Even a VHCOL area is fine. You can always move away later in life in retirement and take your nice pension with you, and often (with some exceptions) your lifetime medical benefits.

Be very wary of IT jobs in the corporate arena. There are too many horror stories and failed careers for those over 40.
Last edited by rgs92 on Sat May 12, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deltaflaze

Post by Deltaflaze » Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 am

masonstone wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:01 am
Deltaflaze wrote:
jayk238 wrote:
masonstone wrote:
TheFishGuy99 wrote:

RNs don't make 100k.

Nah.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am

Look into what it takes to be a patent attorney. I know they can do very well but I'm not too sure on job prospects. I thought there were more openings for patent attorneys than other types of attorneys, but I could be wrong.