regarding Health insurance coverage form 1095-C

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
mk1039

regarding Health insurance coverage form 1095-C

Post by mk1039 »

i was working with consulting company last year and had health insurance through them. i received form 1095-C through them this year for 2017 Tax filing. during tax filing, i found that the form 1095-C they sent me had two months missing as i did have health insurance during those two months. i no longer work with them .....so i called them to fix this issue and they are not responding and they are out of state as well.

since i also didn't have health insurance for 3 more months last year (as my contract ended), i had to pay a heavy tax penalty for not having health insurance as per the 1095-C form for 5 months. the tax professional told me that if i can make this correction in the 1095-C with only 3 months with out insurance, i can get around $500 back through amendment in tax (next year).

My simple question is, is there any alternate way to get this 1095-C form corrected (to only show 3 months not 5 with out insurance) without the help of my previous consulting company (as they are not helping/responding)
Pajamas

Re: regarding Health insurance coverage form 1095-C

Post by Pajamas »

Your tax preparer should have filed your taxes using the correct information rather than knowingly report incorrect information simply because it was reported incorrectly on the 1095-C.

You can use other documentation to prove coverage, for instance, a statement from the health coverage provider.

The employer who issues an incorrect 1095-C and refuses to correct it can be fined by the IRS. You should report this to the IRS.
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Pajamas wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm Your tax preparer should have filed your taxes using the correct information rather than knowingly report incorrect information simply because it was reported incorrectly on the 1095-C.

You can use other documentation to prove coverage, for instance, a statement from the health coverage provider.

The employer who issues an incorrect 1095-C and refuses to correct it can be fined by the IRS. You should report this to the IRS.
Agree with the statement above. I prepare taxes and enter the correct information from the taxpayer if the 1095C is incorrect. I advise owner
that they should maintain records to prove the 1095c was incorrect.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Topic Author
mk1039

Post by mk1039 »

Thanks all for the response. based on your response. here are few questions.

- i don't have any statement from insurance to prove that i had insurance for the 2 months i am charged penalty....in-fact i don't even remember my insurance provider (might be able to get this info but not sure). That's why i am dependent on the response/help from my previous employer.

- if i need to report it to IRS, when should i do it, what i need and whats the process for that ?

Thanks again.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

mk1039 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 pm
- i don't have any statement from insurance to prove that i had insurance for the 2 months i am charged penalty....in-fact i don't even remember my insurance provider (might be able to get this info but not sure). That's why i am dependent on the response/help from my previous employer.
Then how can you be sure that you were actually covered when you think you were and that the 1095-C is incorrect? Sometimes coverage doesn't start right away, for instance. You never had a card and were never sent any information about the coverage?

Could you contact the employer to confirm the dates of coverage or at least the name of the company that administered the plan so you can contact them? Perhaps even contact a former coworker to get the basic information?
Topic Author
mk1039

Post by mk1039 »

i worked with them for over two years ....so therefore i had insurance during all that time i was with them.

i'll try to call them to get basic info about my insurance provider and will contact the provider directly to see if they can provide me any proof....by the way, i had a insurance card/letters etc but most probably i threw them away as i get so much paper mail.