Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
newbie003
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by newbie003 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:47 pm

I have my credit 'frozen' (I went to each of the 3 agencies and froze/locked my credit). Do I need to unfreeze it at each company before applying for a new credit card?

azanon
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by azanon » Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Yes, of course. Don't take credit freezing lightly, as it's a pretty drastic step for identity theft prevention (IMO), and really it would have been best to realize the ramifications of having done so prior to freezing.

mhalley
Posts: 5719
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by mhalley » Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 pm

You don’t have to unfreeze all 3, find out which co the cc uses and just unfreeze that one.

User avatar
JPH
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by JPH » Tue May 08, 2018 2:52 pm

If you can find out which credit reporting agency they want to use, then you can unfreeze just that one. Call and ask them.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Rupert
Posts: 3089
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by Rupert » Tue May 08, 2018 3:11 pm

You have to unfreeze if applying for new credit, not if making a product change (i.e., swapping one type of card for another with the same company). Call the credit card company, and ask them with credit bureau they use. Usually they will stay on the line with you while you use your computer to unfreeze. It usually takes less than a minute. No bother at all.

viz
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by viz » Tue May 08, 2018 3:18 pm

newbie003 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:47 pm
I have my credit 'frozen' (I went to each of the 3 agencies and froze/locked my credit). Do I need to unfreeze it at each company before applying for a new credit card?
Yes, you would need to unfreeze at one or more credit agency. I recently got a pre-approval for mortgage and they pulled credit from all 3. Some companies might pull from just one. Also, some time the unfreeze takes more than a few minutes so I would suggest that you wait a day after the unfreezing. If you have to pay for unfreeze then use the option to unfreeze for limited time or specific company (ask CC company who will pull credit). This way you don't have to pay to put the freeze again.

newbie003
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by newbie003 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks all. I'll see what I can find out.

User avatar
Will do good
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by Will do good » Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm

We apply with the freeze still on, when we get turned down they will send a letter explain they couldn't check our credit history because of our freeze. The letter explain which credit agency they use and ask us to unfreeze that agency and call them. So we unfreeze that one and call them to the let them know it's now unfreeze, the person we give the info to will take 2-3 minutes while we wait to check on our credit history and 100% of the time they come back on and congrats us for been approved.

SimonJester
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by SimonJester » Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm

I also apply first, then get the "we will let you know..." message, which is usually a denial. I call right after I apply and find out which agency they pull from, unfreeze and call back... No need to wait for the denial letter in the mail...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Woodshark
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by Woodshark » Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Most of the time the credit card company will tell you the single credit reporting agency you are required to unfreeze. Last month I applied for a new CapitolOne card. They required that I unfreeze all three. I argued with them about having to go to all the trouble, as I have my credit score is around 800 but it fell on deaf ears. Multiple phones calls did not help. I eventually did unfroze all three for 24 hours and I was approved.

chemocean
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by chemocean » Tue May 08, 2018 7:14 pm

I recently applied for a credit card with my credit reports frozen. I got a call from the credit card company explaining that they could not proceed with my credit frozen and gave me five days for them to access my credit report.. I specifically asked which credit reporting agency I needed to unfreeze. With Experian, I was able to go online and get a one-time pass code that I gave the credit card company to access my credit report. Getting a one-time passcode is free compared to unfreezing your credit report, $10 for Experian. Got the physical card yesterday.

TallBoy29er
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 pm

yep..

newbie003
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by newbie003 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 am

On a related note, it seems that Equifax and Transunion I can unlock for free, but Experian has a fee (at least here in CT). Is that your experience as well? I can't recall if I paid to lock it, but if I have to pay to unlock it (temporarily to get credit) and then pay to lock it again...that's of course not good.

Luckywon
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by Luckywon » Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 am

newbie003 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:47 pm
I have my credit 'frozen' (I went to each of the 3 agencies and froze/locked my credit). Do I need to unfreeze it at each company before applying for a new credit card?
Sometimes you do not have to unfreeze your credit at all. I have had my credit frozen at all three major reporting agencies for many years and have had to unfreeze it in the past to get the credit. However, I recently applied online for an American Express Delta SkyMiles platinum card and to my surprise it was approved without the need for further communication or unfreezing my credit.

I do already have two other American Express cards, including a Blue Card and a regular Platinum Card and I am pretty sure that this is the reason they were able to approve the card without checking my current credit. In fact, I received a letter in the mail saying that they had reallocated credit from my Blue Card to my new American Express Delta SkyMiles card, and that I could adjust the allocation by telephoning them, if I wanted. So I think the reason the card was approved without the need for a credit check was that American Express was not really extending the total amount of credit previously allocated to me.

User avatar
FreeAtLast
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by FreeAtLast » Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 am

What if I don't apply to them, but they send me an application for their card? Still need to unfreeze?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

THY4373
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by THY4373 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 am

Woodshark wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 pm
Most of the time the credit card company will tell you the single credit reporting agency you are required to unfreeze. Last month I applied for a new CapitolOne card. They required that I unfreeze all three. I argued with them about having to go to all the trouble, as I have my credit score is around 800 but it fell on deaf ears. Multiple phones calls did not help. I eventually did unfroze all three for 24 hours and I was approved.
Cap1 is know to frequently pull from all three agencies so not surprised they required you to unfreeze all three. Some other banks may pull from two. Chase and Citi sometimes (but not always) pull two of the three agencies on me.

scrabbler1
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by scrabbler1 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:47 pm

A few years ago, I was unexpectedly offered a CC while at the checkout line at a department store. It was part of a promotional discount on my purchase. I told the cashier it was okay but the instant check was denied and I had no idea why. The cashier, who also had no idea as to why I was rejected, tried some other way to get me the CC but that also failed. It took me 20 annoying minutes to buy one friggin item.

Later on, I received a letter from the store's credit department telling me that I as rejected but didn't specify why. When I called them, they told me it was because my credit report had been frozen, something I had done a few years earlier and had forgotten all about it. Had the cashier suspected, or had I realized that the long-forgotten freeze would prevent me from getting the instant approval, I never would have bothered wasting all that time for a fruitless inquiry.

Bank reps, not surprisingly, are more attuned to this potential obstacle. Not long after that unfortunate event at the store, I applied for a credit line increase in person while at my bank. The rep immediately asked me if I had frozen my credit before proceeding further. When I told him I had, he gave me a number for the credit department I could call once I found my PIN with the agency they used. (I had the PIN at home, but would have been able to continue without it.) I called the CC department and the rep there three-wayed me with the agency. I provided the PIN and they "thawed" my credit so the rep could see it and grant me the increase on the spot.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm

azanon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Yes, of course. Don't take credit freezing lightly, as it's a pretty drastic step for identity theft prevention (IMO), and really it would have been best to realize the ramifications of having done so prior to freezing.
I wouldn't call a 5 minute on-line action a "drastic step" - it can save you 1 - 2 years of trying to undo the damage done by an identity theft - in my opinion its something everyone should do (should be the default actually).

OP: You got several responses already of different ideas on how to handle (call ahead and see which to unfreeze; apply and check; etc.) - it might take you a small amount of extra effort to get new credit - but in return you won't end up like a friend of mine who suddenly had $100K worth of debt that didn't really belong to him - took him 2 years to get everything cleared up and his credit restored (at least he didn't end up with a criminal record like some - that's the worse - having someone get caught committing crimes with your identity that you have to undo).

azanon
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by azanon » Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm
azanon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Yes, of course. Don't take credit freezing lightly, as it's a pretty drastic step for identity theft prevention (IMO), and really it would have been best to realize the ramifications of having done so prior to freezing.
I wouldn't call a 5 minute on-line action a "drastic step" - it can save you 1 - 2 years of trying to undo the damage done by an identity theft - in my opinion its something everyone should do (should be the default actually).
The amount of time (and you forgot to mention cost) it takes to freeze credit isn't the only relevant factor. There's the inconvenience (and cost) of having to unfreeze it every time you want to apply for a credit card, or a loan, or do just about anything that requires a hard credit check, and then the cost to refreeze again. Then there's not using a variety of credit monitoring services, that include insurance, that are available for the specific purpose of identity theft prevention in lieu of freezing your credit (I use one, fwiw).

Now I do have a disclaimer I should mention; For me I do factor in the fact that I am careful with personally identifiable information (PII). For instance when I see a medical form asking for my full SSN, I don't put it on there, I don't open emails from Nigeria, etc. What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's necessarily just a random thing to have one's ID stolen, rather I imagine there's some degree of correlation between how careful one is with their PII and the likelihood of identity theft. Conversely, I imagine the one's freezing their credit are the least likely ones to have their identity stolen even had they not done so.

As it turns out, I just got a capital one Venture card a coupe of weeks ago to get the ~ $500 dollars worth of points to defray an international flight. I didn't have any hassle with unfreezing my credit to get that because it wasn't frozen to begin with, and I like no hassle.

need403bhelp
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by need403bhelp » Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 pm

azanon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm
azanon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Yes, of course. Don't take credit freezing lightly, as it's a pretty drastic step for identity theft prevention (IMO), and really it would have been best to realize the ramifications of having done so prior to freezing.
I wouldn't call a 5 minute on-line action a "drastic step" - it can save you 1 - 2 years of trying to undo the damage done by an identity theft - in my opinion its something everyone should do (should be the default actually).
The amount of time (and you forgot to mention cost) it takes to freeze credit isn't the only relevant factor. There's the inconvenience (and cost) of having to unfreeze it every time you want to apply for a credit card, or a loan, or do just about anything that requires a hard credit check, and then the cost to refreeze again. Then there's not using a variety of credit monitoring services, that include insurance, that are available for the specific purpose of identity theft prevention in lieu of freezing your credit (I use one, fwiw).

Now I do have a disclaimer I should mention; For me I do factor in the fact that I am careful with personally identifiable information (PII). For instance when I see a medical form asking for my full SSN, I don't put it on there, I don't open emails from Nigeria, etc. What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's necessarily just a random thing to have one's ID stolen, rather I imagine there's some degree of correlation between how careful one is with their PII and the likelihood of identity theft. Conversely, I imagine the one's freezing their credit are the least likely ones to have their identity stolen even had they not done so.

As it turns out, I just got a capital one Venture card a coupe of weeks ago to get the ~ $500 dollars worth of points to defray an international flight. I didn't have any hassle with unfreezing my credit to get that because it wasn't frozen to begin with, and I like no hassle.
There is a third option. I know locks are not freezes but you can lock and unlock report for free online with Equifax and TransUnion. Innovis and Chex are free everywhere to freeze and thaw. This only leaves Experian where you have to pay to freeze and thaw.

Not as good as freezing all 3 bureaus in terms of protection, but also not as annoying (and painful to the wallet) when needing to apply for credit.

FedGuy
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by FedGuy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:03 am

azanon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 pm
The amount of time (and you forgot to mention cost) it takes to freeze credit isn't the only relevant factor. There's the inconvenience (and cost) of having to unfreeze it every time you want to apply for a credit card, or a loan, or do just about anything that requires a hard credit check, and then the cost to refreeze again. Then there's not using a variety of credit monitoring services, that include insurance, that are available for the specific purpose of identity theft prevention in lieu of freezing your credit (I use one, fwiw).
I've hard a credit freeze in place for probably at least 5 years now. In that time, I've unfrozen and then refrozen my credit to apply for perhaps half a dozen credit cards as well as several mortgage pre-approvals and related checks. Each time took just a few minutes. In my state, consumers are charged a trivial sum to initially freeze their credit and may subsequently unfreeze and refreeze their credit for free. The entire process is far closer to "trivial" than to "drastic."

User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2449
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:15 am

newbie003 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 am
On a related note, it seems that Equifax and Transunion I can unlock for free, but Experian has a fee (at least here in CT). Is that your experience as well? I can't recall if I paid to lock it, but if I have to pay to unlock it (temporarily to get credit) and then pay to lock it again...that's of course not good.
That's the case here in PA. Transunion was an unlock (free) and Equifax was free as well and I just set a date range. Experian had a $10 fee to temporarily lift the freeze. It is free if it's a permanent lift. I linked a nice little chart that shows fees for all states including add/lift/remove.

So you would pay $10 to temporarily unlock it and then at the end of the date range you picked the freeze would resume at no additional cost.

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freez ... n-by-state
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

BuckyBadger
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu May 10, 2018 7:50 am

azanon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Yes, of course. Don't take credit freezing lightly, as it's a pretty drastic step for identity theft prevention (IMO), and really it would have been best to realize the ramifications of having done so prior to freezing.
I disagree. It's hardly a drastic step. In many states it's free, and for people not doing the credit card churning thing, the number of times it has to be unfrozen is trivial. In the past 10 years I've unfrozen one or more bureaus 4 times I think - applying for a mortgage, two credit cards, and one car loan to take advantage of some insanely low rate.

Each time the company told me which report to unfreeze and I did it in about 5 minutes.

There have been exactly two drawbacks - I can't do the thing on the social security website where it estimates your payments - but since I'm 37 that's not too much of a problem. And I just started a 529 and will have to mail in a signature rather than get it approved online and I think that's because my credit is frozen, but I'm not 100% sure. So that't the cost of a stamp.
azanon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 pm
The amount of time (and you forgot to mention cost) it takes to freeze credit isn't the only relevant factor. There's the inconvenience (and cost) of having to unfreeze it every time you want to apply for a credit card, or a loan, or do just about anything that requires a hard credit check, and then the cost to refreeze again. Then there's not using a variety of credit monitoring services, that include insurance, that are available for the specific purpose of identity theft prevention in lieu of freezing your credit (I use one, fwiw).

Now I do have a disclaimer I should mention; For me I do factor in the fact that I am careful with personally identifiable information (PII). For instance when I see a medical form asking for my full SSN, I don't put it on there, I don't open emails from Nigeria, etc. What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's necessarily just a random thing to have one's ID stolen, rather I imagine there's some degree of correlation between how careful one is with their PII and the likelihood of identity theft. Conversely, I imagine the one's freezing their credit are the least likely ones to have their identity stolen even had they not done so.

As it turns out, I just got a capital one Venture card a coupe of weeks ago to get the ~ $500 dollars worth of points to defray an international flight. I didn't have any hassle with unfreezing my credit to get that because it wasn't frozen to begin with, and I like no hassle.
I can only assume that you've never frozen your credit, since you are vastly overestimating this perceived "hassle" of unfreezing it. As I said above, it takes practically no time or effort to unfreeze. And in many states it's free - and at a maximum I think it's $5 or $10? A small price to pay for peace of mind.

And also as I said above, unless you're applying for credit multiple times a month it's simply not a big deal.

The concept of credit monitoring that you suggest, on the other hand, seems stupid to me! Why wait until the horse has left the proverbial barn? Why monitor your credit for fraud (oftentimes for a monthly fee) when with a time commitment of about 30 minutes ONCE, and a monetary outlay of between zero and thirty dollars ONCE would have prevented the fraud in the first place?

Everyone's peace of mind is worth something different to them, but I can say with 100% confidence that my peace of mind is worth the zero dollars and maybe 60 minutes over the past 10 years? Please stop discouraging people to take the perfectly reasonable and smart step of freezing their credit.
Last edited by BuckyBadger on Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

BuckyBadger
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 am

duplicate post

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by lthenderson » Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 am

Will do good wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm
We apply with the freeze still on, when we get turned down they will send a letter explain they couldn't check our credit history because of our freeze. The letter explain which credit agency they use and ask us to unfreeze that agency and call them. So we unfreeze that one and call them to the let them know it's now unfreeze, the person we give the info to will take 2-3 minutes while we wait to check on our credit history and 100% of the time they come back on and congrats us for been approved.
+1 My exact method so I don't have to pay for unnecessary unfreezing of the other two agencies.

BuckyBadger
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu May 10, 2018 8:41 am

lthenderson wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 am
Will do good wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm
We apply with the freeze still on, when we get turned down they will send a letter explain they couldn't check our credit history because of our freeze. The letter explain which credit agency they use and ask us to unfreeze that agency and call them. So we unfreeze that one and call them to the let them know it's now unfreeze, the person we give the info to will take 2-3 minutes while we wait to check on our credit history and 100% of the time they come back on and congrats us for been approved.
+1 My exact method so I don't have to pay for unnecessary unfreezing of the other two agencies.
Yup - this. I think last time I actually unfroze it and it was checked and I was approved while I was still on the phone with the credit card company.

dsmclone
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by dsmclone » Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 am

Just went through this process. Each credit card has different methods. With Chase, it could have been any of the 3. With Barclay you knew exactly which one. I opened up all 3 for a 3 week period, costs me about $20, and 15 minutes later I applied for 1 credit card and got approved. Yesterday, I applied for another one and immediately got approved as well as an alert from the credit agency.

I had my previous credit card for 5 years and when I called them up to see what they could do for me they only offered a lower rate, which has no affect on me. I'm going to cancel that card, which has a yearly fee and try out a little bit of churning and see how it works out for me.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 45570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 10, 2018 2:58 pm

I removed a contentious interchange which expressed a difference of opinion. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
This is a moderated forum. We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.

Discussions are about issues, not people. If you disagree with an idea, go ahead and marshal all your forces against it. But do not confuse ideas with the person posting them.

At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Please state your concerns in a civil, factual manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu May 10, 2018 4:27 pm

azanon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm
azanon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Yes, of course. Don't take credit freezing lightly, as it's a pretty drastic step for identity theft prevention (IMO), and really it would have been best to realize the ramifications of having done so prior to freezing.
I wouldn't call a 5 minute on-line action a "drastic step" - it can save you 1 - 2 years of trying to undo the damage done by an identity theft - in my opinion its something everyone should do (should be the default actually).
The amount of time (and you forgot to mention cost) it takes to freeze credit isn't the only relevant factor. There's the inconvenience (and cost) of having to unfreeze it every time you want to apply for a credit card, or a loan, or do just about anything that requires a hard credit check, and then the cost to refreeze again. Then there's not using a variety of credit monitoring services, that include insurance, that are available for the specific purpose of identity theft prevention in lieu of freezing your credit (I use one, fwiw).

Now I do have a disclaimer I should mention; For me I do factor in the fact that I am careful with personally identifiable information (PII). For instance when I see a medical form asking for my full SSN, I don't put it on there, I don't open emails from Nigeria, etc. What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's necessarily just a random thing to have one's ID stolen, rather I imagine there's some degree of correlation between how careful one is with their PII and the likelihood of identity theft. Conversely, I imagine the one's freezing their credit are the least likely ones to have their identity stolen even had they not done so.

As it turns out, I just got a capital one Venture card a coupe of weeks ago to get the ~ $500 dollars worth of points to defray an international flight. I didn't have any hassle with unfreezing my credit to get that because it wasn't frozen to begin with, and I like no hassle.
I'm very careful with all my personal info as well; never give out SSN or answer Nigeria emails. However, Equifax allowed all my information to be taken so I'm exposed. For millions of us the threat is now real regardless of how careful we are.
The little hassle of unfreezing credit is nothing compared to the hassle of undoing identity theft. But each person needs to weight their own risks as they see fit.
Last edited by DaftInvestor on Fri May 11, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu May 10, 2018 4:35 pm

azanon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Then there's not using a variety of credit monitoring services, that include insurance, that are available for the specific purpose of identity theft prevention in lieu of freezing your credit (I use one, fwiw).
Regarding this statement - who has services that provide identity theft prevention? How do they do so?

Please let us know who does this. The only services I know of provide identity theft monitoring (e.g. - let you know you are in trouble when it is already too late). The "Monitoring" services do sometimes use terms like "Identity theft protection" but they are just monitoring - they don't actually prevent anything (the only way to prevent credit taken out in your name I am aware of is to freeze your credit).

azanon
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by azanon » Thu May 10, 2018 4:59 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:35 pm
azanon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Then there's not using a variety of credit monitoring services, that include insurance, that are available for the specific purpose of identity theft prevention in lieu of freezing your credit (I use one, fwiw).
Regarding this statement - who has services that provide identity theft prevention? How do they do so?

Please let us know who does this. The only services I know of provide identity theft monitoring (e.g. - let you know you are in trouble when it is already too late). The "Monitoring" services do sometimes use terms like "Identity theft protection" but they are just monitoring - they don't actually prevent anything (the only way to prevent credit taken out in your name I am aware of is to freeze your credit).
Oh did I not say, for the purpose of reducing the likelihood of identity theft? That's what I meant.
Last edited by azanon on Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azanon
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by azanon » Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:27 pm
I'm very careful with all my personal info as well; never give out SSN or answer Nigeria emails. However, Experian allowed all my information to be taken so I'm exposed. For millions of us the threat is now real regardless of how careful we are.
That was the reason I added identity monitoring services.
DaftInvestor wrote: The little hassle of unfreezing credit is nothing compared to the hassle of undoing identity theft. But each person needs to weight their own risks as they see fit.
Yes everyone should address the threat of identity theft. So far the more popular suggestion here seems to be freezing one's credit. I've stated the reasons I personally don't, but maybe 3rd party readers will find the reasoning for freezing credit more compelling.

theplayer11
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by theplayer11 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm

with trans union and equifax you can lock and unlock for free online using their online tools

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 45570
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 10, 2018 7:03 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (credit).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 pm

azanon wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:27 pm
I'm very careful with all my personal info as well; never give out SSN or answer Nigeria emails. However, Experian allowed all my information to be taken so I'm exposed. For millions of us the threat is now real regardless of how careful we are.
That was the reason I added identity monitoring services.
DaftInvestor wrote: The little hassle of unfreezing credit is nothing compared to the hassle of undoing identity theft. But each person needs to weight their own risks as they see fit.
Yes everyone should address the threat of identity theft. So far the more popular suggestion here seems to be freezing one's credit. I've stated the reasons I personally don't, but maybe 3rd party readers will find the reasoning for freezing credit more compelling.
Best of luck. Personally I guess I should be happy there are still easier targets out there.

azanon
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by azanon » Fri May 11, 2018 6:14 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 pm
Personally I guess I should be happy there are still easier targets out there.
My sentiments exactly.

A certain level of risk management is warranted, but there are a lot of people that are tormented daily by fear about all the possible things that can go wrong in their life, and occasionally I reflect on this reality in sadness. Of course I don't presume this is you, specifically.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 11, 2018 6:36 am

azanon wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:14 am
DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 pm
Personally I guess I should be happy there are still easier targets out there.
My sentiments exactly.

A certain level of risk management is warranted, but there are a lot of people that are tormented daily by fear about all the possible things that can go wrong in their life, and occasionally I reflect on this reality in sadness. Of course I don't presume this is you, specifically.
I don't know anyone personally that is tormented by daily fear but I do know a few folks who like to live carefree to a point of what I would consider recklessness. I live in a relatively crime free area but one year there was a string of robberies. I didn't get hit because I take a second to lock and unlock my door but many of my neighbors don't bother to do so. The thief simply walked around trying doors when people weren't home seeing who left theirs unlocked. The only people robbed were those that don't lock up. Why should the thief go through the trouble of breaking into houses that are locked when easy pickings are available? This is similar to identity thieves- they will have easy pickings with folks that don't want to take a few minutes to freeze/unfreeze their credit - good for me if they have enough easy pickings still out there I don't need to worry.

azanon
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by azanon » Fri May 11, 2018 7:35 am

Believe me, if you knew me, you'd realize you're speaking to the choir. By comparison to the average Joe, I'm as conservative and as careful as they come. I am a Boglehead, afterall. My largest struggle in life is that it's often not that exciting because I have contingencies for just about everything, on that rare occasion something actually goes wrong.

azanon
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by azanon » Fri May 11, 2018 7:44 am

I know it's Dave Ramsey.... but I found this answer interesting regarding the question posed, "When should I freeze my credit?": https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/debt ... -my-credit

Here's an excerpt:

"They’re fairly difficult to unfreeze. You just don’t want to jump in and out of the thing all the time. But you’ve got to remember it does not stop all identity theft because only about three out of 10 credit cards that are issued do they actually check credit on. Seven out of 10, they issue them blind. If someone tries to use your name and they open an account in your name—identity theft—and that credit card company does not even check your credit bureau report to see if you’re legal or what’s going on and they don’t find it frozen, they issue the card anyway. It didn’t stop it because no one ever checked it. If it’s a type of identity theft for some reason that the lender is not checking the credit bureau report, then it doesn’t help at all."

Calico
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by Calico » Fri May 11, 2018 7:50 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:27 pm
azanon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm
azanon wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Yes, of course. Don't take credit freezing lightly, as it's a pretty drastic step for identity theft prevention (IMO), and really it would have been best to realize the ramifications of having done so prior to freezing.
I wouldn't call a 5 minute on-line action a "drastic step" - it can save you 1 - 2 years of trying to undo the damage done by an identity theft - in my opinion its something everyone should do (should be the default actually).
The amount of time (and you forgot to mention cost) it takes to freeze credit isn't the only relevant factor. There's the inconvenience (and cost) of having to unfreeze it every time you want to apply for a credit card, or a loan, or do just about anything that requires a hard credit check, and then the cost to refreeze again. Then there's not using a variety of credit monitoring services, that include insurance, that are available for the specific purpose of identity theft prevention in lieu of freezing your credit (I use one, fwiw).

Now I do have a disclaimer I should mention; For me I do factor in the fact that I am careful with personally identifiable information (PII). For instance when I see a medical form asking for my full SSN, I don't put it on there, I don't open emails from Nigeria, etc. What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's necessarily just a random thing to have one's ID stolen, rather I imagine there's some degree of correlation between how careful one is with their PII and the likelihood of identity theft. Conversely, I imagine the one's freezing their credit are the least likely ones to have their identity stolen even had they not done so.

As it turns out, I just got a capital one Venture card a coupe of weeks ago to get the ~ $500 dollars worth of points to defray an international flight. I didn't have any hassle with unfreezing my credit to get that because it wasn't frozen to begin with, and I like no hassle.
I'm very careful with all my personal info as well; never give out SSN or answer Nigeria emails. However, Experian allowed all my information to be taken so I'm exposed. For millions of us the threat is now real regardless of how careful we are.
The little hassle of unfreezing credit is nothing compared to the hassle of undoing identity theft. But each person needs to weight their own risks as they see fit.
This is what happened to me too. First the State Department allowed my personal information to leak and then Experian. That's when I gave up and froze everything. I looked into credit monitoring, but it was a lot more expensive with the monthly fee (the State Department gave me free credit monitoring for a year but I wasn't about to pay for it).

I haven't had to unfreeze anything in that time. Then again, in the past 10 years I've only done credit checks once... when I moved (needed a check for the mortgage and to set up utilities). That was 7 years ago. I don't apply for credit cards all the time or loans of any sort or open other sorts of accounts. So I don't really do much of anything where I need credit checks, so as little as I use credit, why not freeze it? I will most likely need to unfreeze it when I buy a car in a few years (although I've been trying to save up cash for it, so I don't know if I would need to unfreeze it or not if I manager to have enough cash).

User avatar
Pretzel lover
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by Pretzel lover » Fri May 11, 2018 8:14 am

Related question...maybe deserves a new thread?

Significant other has LifeLock due to a previous ID theft years ago. Now our credits are frozen at all agencies. Does LifeLock actually have any function now that Credit is frozen?

Thanks!

BuckyBadger
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri May 11, 2018 8:24 am

I much prefer Clark Howard's information.

https://clark.com/personal-finance-cred ... haw-guide/

This thread has gotten off track - from the OP asking about applying for a credit card into a debate about the very concept of a credit freeze.

Everyone must make their own decision, of course, but in my opinion, a credit freeze is one of the simplest things a person can do to protect yourself from fraud. It take practically no time at all, practically no money, and is incredibly straightforward. The questions shouldn't be "why should I freeze my credit," it should be "why shouldn't I freeze my credit."

Credit monitoring tells you something is wrong after it's already happened. And they usually charge you a monthly fee for it (or bundle it with something else you're already paying a fee for). Wouldn't you rather prevent it in the first place?

And although I've never gotten a pre-approved line of credit sent to me without my knowledge or consent, I see here that according to Equifax, if that's something that concerns you, you can even opt out of it.

https://blog.equifax.com/credit/what-to ... rd-offers/

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by lthenderson » Fri May 11, 2018 8:30 am

azanon wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:44 am
I know it's Dave Ramsey.... but I found this answer interesting regarding the question posed, "When should I freeze my credit?": https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/debt ... -my-credit

Here's an excerpt:

"They’re fairly difficult to unfreeze. You just don’t want to jump in and out of the thing all the time. But you’ve got to remember it does not stop all identity theft because only about three out of 10 credit cards that are issued do they actually check credit on. Seven out of 10, they issue them blind. If someone tries to use your name and they open an account in your name—identity theft—and that credit card company does not even check your credit bureau report to see if you’re legal or what’s going on and they don’t find it frozen, they issue the card anyway. It didn’t stop it because no one ever checked it. If it’s a type of identity theft for some reason that the lender is not checking the credit bureau report, then it doesn’t help at all."
I fail to see how this scenario would affect anybody with frozen credit. So someone else was issued a credit card in my name and they didn't check my credit report before issuing the card. It still isn't attached to my credit report because it is frozen. Since it doesn't affect my credit report, it shouldn't affect me at all. I'm not sure I understand Dave Ramsey's argument.

BuckyBadger
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:30 am
azanon wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:44 am
I know it's Dave Ramsey.... but I found this answer interesting regarding the question posed, "When should I freeze my credit?": https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/debt ... -my-credit

Here's an excerpt:

"They’re fairly difficult to unfreeze. You just don’t want to jump in and out of the thing all the time. But you’ve got to remember it does not stop all identity theft because only about three out of 10 credit cards that are issued do they actually check credit on. Seven out of 10, they issue them blind. If someone tries to use your name and they open an account in your name—identity theft—and that credit card company does not even check your credit bureau report to see if you’re legal or what’s going on and they don’t find it frozen, they issue the card anyway. It didn’t stop it because no one ever checked it. If it’s a type of identity theft for some reason that the lender is not checking the credit bureau report, then it doesn’t help at all."
I fail to see how this scenario would affect anybody with frozen credit. So someone else was issued a credit card in my name and they didn't check my credit report before issuing the card. It still isn't attached to my credit report because it is frozen. Since it doesn't affect my credit report, it shouldn't affect me at all. I'm not sure I understand Dave Ramsey's argument.
In addition to this, I also find it really hard to believe that 70% of credit cards are sent out preapproved, or that 70% of credit card companies are giving out cards and not checking credit on them. Considering that 100% of the credit I've applied for has been checked and that I've never been sent unsolicited preapproved credit, I just don't think I believe Dave Ramsey.

Considering how he makes his money, I'd bet he gets kickbacks from credit monitoring services that he recommends. He's not going to see a benefit from recommending credit freezes, so he doesn't recommend them.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by lthenderson » Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am

BuckyBadger wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am
Considering how he makes his money, I'd bet he gets kickbacks from credit monitoring services that he recommends. He's not going to see a benefit from recommending credit freezes, so he doesn't recommend them.
...And yet in the article he says he has frozen his credit reports!

BuckyBadger
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am
BuckyBadger wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am
Considering how he makes his money, I'd bet he gets kickbacks from credit monitoring services that he recommends. He's not going to see a benefit from recommending credit freezes, so he doesn't recommend them.
...And yet in the article he says he has frozen his credit reports!
Haha! I clicked on the link - I'd only read the quote before - and saw two hilarious things he said.

One is: "And of course that also means that you’re not going to need to look at it."

Which is just a plain old lie.

And: "I would also get Zander Insurance’s identity theft protection because they’re the only ones that assign a caseworker to you—if something does happen—to go through and fight for you and fix everything if your identity does get stolen. That’s why I use them, and why I buy it for all my team members here and all of my immediate family as well."

Any guesses on if he's getting paid by Zander??

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 am

BuckyBadger wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 am
lthenderson wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am
BuckyBadger wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am
Considering how he makes his money, I'd bet he gets kickbacks from credit monitoring services that he recommends. He's not going to see a benefit from recommending credit freezes, so he doesn't recommend them.
...And yet in the article he says he has frozen his credit reports!
Haha! I clicked on the link - I'd only read the quote before - and saw two hilarious things he said.

One is: "And of course that also means that you’re not going to need to look at it."

Which is just a plain old lie.

And: "I would also get Zander Insurance’s identity theft protection because they’re the only ones that assign a caseworker to you—if something does happen—to go through and fight for you and fix everything if your identity does get stolen. That’s why I use them, and why I buy it for all my team members here and all of my immediate family as well."

Any guesses on if he's getting paid by Zander??
Absolutely he is - go to Zander's website - his face is plastered on it. He doesn't allow endorsements for free.

He also uses the "fairly difficult to unfreeze" comment. Several have replied to this thread (and others) talking about how simple it is. This is the same FUD statement the credit monitoring services use.

Ramsey does some great things for people who have buried themselves in credit - unfortunate he is biased by the bucks like many others.

scifilover
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by scifilover » Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 am

Rupert wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:11 pm
You have to unfreeze if applying for new credit, not if making a product change (i.e., swapping one type of card for another with the same company). Call the credit card company, and ask them with credit bureau they use. Usually they will stay on the line with you while you use your computer to unfreeze. It usually takes less than a minute. No bother at all.
A couple of weeks ago, I saw that T-Mobile had a deal if you were a veteran; 3 lines unlimited for $90 a month. So I went down to the local T-Mobile store just to verify the deal. While I was there I asked the manager which credit service they used since I had frozen all three. It was Trans Union. So, I went back to my car, got on the internet via by phone, and did a three day unfreeze with a special code that you can give the vendor, thus avoiding the general unfreeze.

I then went back into the store, and tried to sign up. After supplying all the info, I ended up on the phone with T-Mobile's credit department. They had never heard of the special unlock code, and anyway that didn't matter, because they operated off some kind of batch basis with Trans Union. They were always three days behind Trans Union, so any unlock had to be at least three days before you wanted to deal with them. Of course, the store manager wasn't aware of this. End result was a big mess. We couldn't close the deal within their system time limits, and so I was frozen out for 30 days. Very upsetting. Can't imagine how you could be granting credit to people with non-current information. Wrote a letter to T-Mobile which didn't accomplish anything, but I felt better.

azanon
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by azanon » Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 am

scifilover wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 am
Rupert wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:11 pm
You have to unfreeze if applying for new credit, not if making a product change (i.e., swapping one type of card for another with the same company). Call the credit card company, and ask them with credit bureau they use. Usually they will stay on the line with you while you use your computer to unfreeze. It usually takes less than a minute. No bother at all.
A couple of weeks ago, I saw that T-Mobile had a deal if you were a veteran; 3 lines unlimited for $90 a month. So I went down to the local T-Mobile store just to verify the deal. While I was there I asked the manager which credit service they used since I had frozen all three. It was Trans Union. So, I went back to my car, got on the internet via by phone, and did a three day unfreeze with a special code that you can give the vendor, thus avoiding the general unfreeze.

I then went back into the store, and tried to sign up. After supplying all the info, I ended up on the phone with T-Mobile's credit department. They had never heard of the special unlock code, and anyway that didn't matter, because they operated off some kind of batch basis with Trans Union. They were always three days behind Trans Union, so any unlock had to be at least three days before you wanted to deal with them. Of course, the store manager wasn't aware of this. End result was a big mess. We couldn't close the deal within their system time limits, and so I was frozen out for 30 days. Very upsetting. Can't imagine how you could be granting credit to people with non-current information. Wrote a letter to T-Mobile which didn't accomplish anything, but I felt better.
There's nothing like a personal testimony. Thanks for adding to the thread, scifilover.

User avatar
DaftInvestor
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Do I need to unfreeze my credit before applying for a new card?

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 11, 2018 9:37 am

scifilover wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 am
Rupert wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:11 pm
You have to unfreeze if applying for new credit, not if making a product change (i.e., swapping one type of card for another with the same company). Call the credit card company, and ask them with credit bureau they use. Usually they will stay on the line with you while you use your computer to unfreeze. It usually takes less than a minute. No bother at all.
A couple of weeks ago, I saw that T-Mobile had a deal if you were a veteran; 3 lines unlimited for $90 a month. So I went down to the local T-Mobile store just to verify the deal. While I was there I asked the manager which credit service they used since I had frozen all three. It was Trans Union. So, I went back to my car, got on the internet via by phone, and did a three day unfreeze with a special code that you can give the vendor, thus avoiding the general unfreeze.

I then went back into the store, and tried to sign up. After supplying all the info, I ended up on the phone with T-Mobile's credit department. They had never heard of the special unlock code, and anyway that didn't matter, because they operated off some kind of batch basis with Trans Union. They were always three days behind Trans Union, so any unlock had to be at least three days before you wanted to deal with them. Of course, the store manager wasn't aware of this. End result was a big mess. We couldn't close the deal within their system time limits, and so I was frozen out for 30 days. Very upsetting. Can't imagine how you could be granting credit to people with non-current information. Wrote a letter to T-Mobile which didn't accomplish anything, but I felt better.
Unfortunate T-Mobile isn't using live data - otherwise you would have been good to go with the quick unfreeze (which has always been my experience). You are still better off protected than not even with this unfortunate incident.
Some recent articles that talk about the big rise in Identity theft and recommending a freeze as a result (unlike the Ramsey article posted above - these have no bias in that they aren't recommending a product);
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/identity-t ... cord-high/
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ident ... 2018-02-27

Post Reply