Selling Company, need advice regarding top of the line Personal CPA and Tax Attorney in the Bay Area

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Quantum

Selling Company, need advice regarding top of the line Personal CPA and Tax Attorney in the Bay Area

Post by Quantum »

I am selling my startup and am going through an M&A, and I need recommendations for top CPA and Tax lawyers in the California Bay Area. I would prefer those who work with founders or high net worth individuals, and who have helped members of the forum.

Although we have a good set of lawyers and accountants on both sides structuring the deal from a business standpoint, soon I will need strong advice and guidance from experts regarding the personal finance aspects of the deal.

The reason I am looking for this type of help is that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.
The amount I will receive in the M&A, all cash, is significant, mid to high 7 figures pre tax. I will also get a large bump in pay by the acquiring company. The deal could have double tax penalties, earnout disbursements and other issues regarding moving out of state for work.

Finally, I am going through a divorce that will finalize after the sale. Although my soon to be ex and I have agreed that neither is under any financial obligation to the other (we each walk with our own savings and debt) I want to make sure she is in a good place financially, with a fresh start free of debt, cash and savings and a new car to replace her 6 year old beater.

With all this, I want to optimize what I keep, minimize taxes for myself and my soon to be Ex, and avoid gotchas before even considering how I will allocate my investments of this money.

Thank you for any help and suggestions.
“The advantage always favors the one who is trying to create fear, over the one who is trying to erase it.” | Howard R. Hughes JR.