Best cash-back credit card right now?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
gpburdell

Re: Best cash-back credit card right now?

Post by gpburdell » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:47 pm

I use the Fido Visa cash back as my general spend card. I buy alot of stuff from Amazon so I have their Prime card which gives 5% back. Also, I have the CostCo credit card which gives 4% back on gas purchase from anywhere.

confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:50 am

Note 2 keywords - "average" and "all" categories

- Online shopping 5.25 % - Costco Cash cards + Walmart Gift cards - ie All our groceries, gas, general merchandise @ 5.25%...
- Travel 5.25 %
- Dining 5.25%
- Gas 5.25 % (during road trips when we cant use Costco Cards)
- Everything else 2.625% (PH Card)

DW and I have 6 total BoA Cards (7 Cash Rewards cards, 2 PH Cards, 1 new Business Card which offers new categories like computers etc )

Average of all above categories ~ 4% cashback for us spending style ….
international001 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am
confusedinvestor wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:27 am
BoA Cards - I typically average 4% cash-back for all categories
confusedinvestor wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:27 am
BoA Cards - I typically average 4% cash-back for all categories
With PR Platinium Honors?
Which card gives you 4% for grocery? And gas?

international001

Post by international001 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Ok.. I guess this is because you use most online purchases. Groceries must be a big part. Costco Cash Card is a good strategegy.. But Walmart grocery also qualifies?

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:20 pm

international001 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:39 pm
Ok.. I guess this is because you use most online purchases. Groceries must be a big part. Costco Cash Card is a good strategegy.. But Walmart grocery also qualifies?
If "online" is your selected category, then Walmart Grocery (i.e. order online and pick up in store) counts as "online" and gets you 5.25% cash back. If you don't order online, it's only 3.5% cash back. I'm unaware whether there is a similar arbitrage using Walmart gift cards like I do with Costco Cash. If there were, you'd find it on this page: https://www.walmart.com/browse/gifts-re ... 60_2721610

Looks like eGift cards are an option as well as the physical gift card.
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.

international001

Post by international001 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:05 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:20 pm
international001 wrote:
If "online" is your selected category, then Walmart Grocery (i.e. order online and pick up in store) counts as "online" and gets you 5.25% cash back. If you don't order online, it's only 3.5% cash back. I'm unaware whether there is a similar arbitrage using Walmart gift cards like I do with Costco Cash. If there were, you'd find it on this page: https://www.walmart.com/browse/gifts-re ... 60_2721610

It's good to know and test. Unfortunately, I don't usually buy at Costco and Walmart. I get 2.75% on groceries using AAA visa signature with BoA. The extra 0.75% is not worth the fee for me.

Can you do better without this 'arbitrage'?

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:20 am

I'm sorry, but 7.25% cash back at Costco (5.25% base + 2% executive) + 5.25% on gas + 5.25% on travel + 5.25% on dining + 5.25% on online purchases + 2.625% on all else is as the best I've got for you right now.

All for essentially no annual fee.

If forum members come up with a better strategy, I'm all ears.
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.

balbrec2

Post by balbrec2 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:54 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:52 am
If you don't want to play games, just use Citi doublecash.

If you play games for fun and profit.....first, don't use an Amex anything for manufactured spending as they'll shut you down immediately.

Citi Double cash is a good background card.
HSPC card for the first 6 months is better, if you can find the offer. $100 bonus, 2% on everything, another 10% of your bonus paid at the end of the year. But at 6 months, retire the card.
Chase Freedom for the rotating category. This quarter is grocery stores 5% up to $1500 spending. I use this as one of my manufactured spending cards to buy gift cards to earn gas points.
Discover: Same as Freedom. They even seem to follow Chase with the category, so your quarterly bonus spending jumps to $3k total.
Uber Visa: I use this for the 4% at restaurants. I know it has other bonus categories but I don't really pay attention to them.

I'd put honorable mention to Fidelity Visa. You have to redeem to a Fidelity account in order to retain the 2%, otherwise, it drops to 1%. I fund a 529 with the rewards earned.

I have almost all of the "no annual fee" cards mentioned in prior posts. The BoA ones might be replacement if you already have money with the Evil Empire. I suppose gaming Merrill Edge for a bonus coming in can qualify this as a good deal. I don't trust BoA as far as I could throw them and would expect new, surprise fees and charges at any point.
I give up, what is manufactured spending?

shm317

Post by shm317 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 pm

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:20 pm
international001 wrote:

What about WholeFoods via Prime Now? Would that also get the 5.25%?

NativeTxn

Post by NativeTxn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:25 pm

balbrec2 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:54 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:

If you play games for fun and profit.....first, don't use an Amex anything for manufactured spending as they'll shut you down immediately.

HSPC card for the first 6 months is better, if you can find the offer. $100 bonus, 2% on everything, another 10% of your bonus paid at the end of the year. But at 6 months, retire the card.
Chase Freedom for the rotating category. This quarter is grocery stores 5% up to $1500 spending. I use this as one of my manufactured spending cards to buy gift cards to earn gas points.
Discover: Same as Freedom. They even seem to follow Chase with the category, so your quarterly bonus spending jumps to $3k total.
Uber Visa: I use this for the 4% at restaurants. I know it has other bonus categories but I don't really pay attention to them.

I'd put honorable mention to Fidelity Visa. You have to redeem to a Fidelity account in order to retain the 2%, otherwise, it drops to 1%. I fund a 529 with the rewards earned.

I have almost all of the "no annual fee" cards mentioned in prior posts. The BoA ones might be replacement if you already have money with the Evil Empire. I suppose gaming Merrill Edge for a bonus coming in can qualify this as a good deal. I don't trust BoA as far as I could throw them and would expect new, surprise fees and charges at any point.
At its most basic level, manufactured spending is going out of your way to maximize a category, while not completely going off the deep end and spending on things you don't need, or otherwise wouldn't buy, just to get the bonus points/cash back.

An example would be: Card A has rotating quarterly categories and this quarter it is grocery stores. So, instead of only buying your normal groceries on that card for the X% back, you buy a bunch of gift cards (presumably to places you would already use them whether iTunes, Amazon, restaurants, etc.) at the grocery store to (a) get the cash back on those gift card purchases since you bought them at the grocery store, and (b) max out the quarterly category.

Same thing could apply with buying gift cards at a gas station for a quarter when the bonus category is gas.

international001

Post by international001 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:28 pm

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:20 am
I'm sorry, but 7.25% cash back at Costco (5.25% base + 2% executive) + 5.25% on gas + 5.25% on travel + 5.25% on dining + 5.25% on online purchases + 2.625% on all else is as the best I've got for you right now.

But you can only spend in one category each month!
You are right it has no annual fee (I was confused), but it has foreign transaction fee and I use it quite a lot outside the US.
AAA Visa Signature works better for me.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:40 pm

balbrec2 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:54 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:

In the churning world, "Manufactured spending" is differentiated from "natural spending". Natural spending is your normal spending pattern. You buy gas, grcoeries, etc like a normal person.

The problem with natural spending is that for many people it's not enough to get all the credit cards and bonuses that you want. "Manufactured Spending" is a way to "spend" money without actually spending anything, with a low enough cost to make the bonus worthwhile. When you sign up for a credit card, you usually need to spend $2000 or so to get the $500 bonus. Many people are limited to maybe a couple credit cards a year because they can't spend enough money to cash in all the bonuses. However, if you generate fake spending, imagine you could do 20 credit card bonuses in a year, that's $10,000 in free money.

The classic example of manufactured spending (MS) was the US Mint dollar coins. There was a time where they allowed you to purchase $1 coins with your credit card and they would send them to you, with no additional cost or shipping. Basically, what people would do is buy thousands of dollars in $1 coins on the credit cards, then deposit the coins in the bank, then use the money to pay off their credit card bills but keep the bonuses they earned. This would generate thousands of dollars in "spending", but no actual costs. One person supposedly ordered $2,400,000 worth of coins. (edit: even at a 2% cash back rate, this would be $48,000 in free money, however if you are able to clear credit card signup bonuses, you could easily hit 6 figures)

That has been shut down, but other schemes have developed since then. Using the Visa gift cards were often involved somehow. However, it has been getting harder and harder to do it efficiently. I've never actually done MS personally though.

geekpryde

Post by geekpryde » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm

I love my Amex Blue Cash. Like a free $50 coupon to grocery store every month, year after year.

msi

Post by msi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Which flat 2%+ back card has the best customer service?

Alliant Visa
Citi Double Cash
Fido Visa
Paypal Mastercard
Penfed Power Cash Rewards
Capital One Venture
BoA in general with Preferred Rewards
And any others...

Ignoring the differences in benefits, redemption amounts, AF, qualifying requirements, etc... who has the best customer service?

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:29 pm

msi wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Alliant Visa
Citi Double Cash
Fido Visa
Paypal Mastercard
Capital One Venture
And any others...

Ignoring the differences in benefits, redemption amounts, AF, qualifying requirements, etc... who has the best customer service?
What sorts of things would you want from customer service? The only time I've ever talked to the CC company was when there were fraudulent charges, but I've never had a problem with any of those issues.

msi

Post by msi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm

decapod10 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:29 pm
msi wrote:

Alliant Visa
Citi Double Cash
Fido Visa
Paypal Mastercard
Capital One Venture
And any others...

What sorts of things would you want from customer service? The only time I've ever talked to the CC company was when there were fraudulent charges, but I've never had a problem with any of those issues.
Fraudulent charges, disputes, etc.

For example, this type of thing regarding Fidelity's 2% Visa:
I’ve been unimpressed with Elan’s fraud department. Our card number has twice been compromised (most recently in November). I called as soon as I saw the first alert but both times had to spend 10 minutes on hold before I could talk to someone, even as more alerts were coming in. The last time, the person I talked to wanted to spend time verifying transactions before she locked the card (meanwhile, yet another fraudulent charge was made). And unlike many cards now, there’s no way to temporarily lock the card via their website.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=266538&p=4324666#p4324666

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 pm

international001 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:28 pm
But you can only spend in one category each month!
You are right it has no annual fee (I was confused), but it has foreign transaction fee and I use it quite a lot outside the US.
AAA Visa Signature works better for me.
I have 4 BoA cash rewards cards (2 myself + 2 my wife), so we can do 4 categories per month. BoA premium rewards has 0% foreign transaction fee. It's a phenomenal card.

The BoA platinum honors credit card strategy is unambiguously the best for cash rewards.

shm317 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 pm
What about WholeFoods via Prime Now? Would that also get the 5.25%?
I'd imagine so but I avoid Whole Foods like the plague so I can't confirm this.

international001

Post by international001 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 pm

I have 4 BoA cash rewards cards (2 myself + 2 my wife), so we can do 4 categories per month. BoA premium rewards has 0% foreign transaction fee. It's a phenomenal card.

The BoA platinum honors credit card strategy is unambiguously the best for cash rewards.
Isn't Cash Rewards + Travel rewards combination better, at least in US? Without fee

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 pm

international001 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 am
FrugalProfessor wrote:

Isn't Cash Rewards + Travel rewards combination better, at least in US? Without fee
The annual fee on the premium rewards card can be negated pretty easily with the $100 travel credits: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/best-cr ... 8-edition/.

I also prefer it due to the cash rewards it provides rather than the travel rewards.

Premium Rewards = 3.5% cash back on travel, 3.5% cash back on dining, 2.625% cash back on all else.
Travel Rewards = 2.625% travel credits on all purchases.

Given how easy it is to break even on the annual fee, I think the premium rewards card is a no-brainer over the travel rewards.

international001

Post by international001 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:19 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 pm
international001 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 am
FrugalProfessor wrote:

The annual fee on the premium rewards card can be negated pretty easily with the $100 travel credits: https://www.frugalprofessor.com/best-cr ... 8-edition/.

I also prefer it due to the cash rewards it provides rather than the travel rewards.

Premium Rewards = 3.5% cash back on travel, 3.5% cash back on dining, 2.625% cash back on all else.

Given how easy it is to break even on the annual fee, I think the premium rewards card is a no-brainer over the travel rewards.
My point is that if yo already use a bunch of cash rewards cards (I don't), premium rewards makes sense only for the rest (2.625% on everything else)

From your post, it seems premium rewards cost is $10, and you have the hassle of ebay selling. For me, it has been much easier and cheaper to use Travel rewards on travel credit

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:27 am

Up thread, someone mentioned Amazon's Prime Card for 5% cash back.

I've been weaning off that card for one reason.

In a traditional situation where you have a merchant dispute, your bank, via your credit card, will assist you.

In the case of Synchrony, I have found this does not happen. Rather, they are actually like a branch of Amazon, they have not provided any help, but instead send me back to Amazon to try to work it out again and again and this ends up throwing me into an endless loop of miscommunication due to the way Amazon customer service operates.

The Synchrony reps read from a very tight script it seems. In the past 24 months, I have experience an uptick in the number of lost shipments, faulty products, etc. and customer service has been getting worse and hence too much hassle dealing with Synchrony.

It's worth it to me just to use my Amex 2% card on Amazon. Their reps and customer service are a world apart from Amazon.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

dallasjava

Post by dallasjava » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:21 pm

msi wrote:

Alliant Visa
Citi Double Cash
Fido Visa
Paypal Mastercard
Capital One Venture
And any others...

The Alliant is not 2% flat. It is 3% in the first year and 2.5% in subsequent years.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:

Is it possible to get two completely separate (two separate online accounts) Citi double-cash cards? I want one for medical expenses only (to track for taxes), and I'd like another for everything else I buy that I would only get 1% on with my Costco VISA (like the Trader Joe's across the street, Target, etc.) I want the accounts online totally separate so it doesn't mess up my tracking of medical expenses. I am reluctant to call, because when I applied last week over the phone, the fella from India wanted to READ ALOUD to me all of the fine print. Finally I just told him I had run out of time and applied online. I don't want two cards that are tracked together in the same online account. I got my children added to my Costco VISA, and while their expenses have their name beside them in our online account, we have to add their expenses MANUALLY as does customer support at Costco VISA. In this day and age!!!!! :shock:

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:27 am
Up thread, someone mentioned Amazon's Prime Card for 5% cash back.

I've been weaning off that card for one reason.

In a traditional situation where you have a merchant dispute, your bank, via your credit card, will assist you.

In the case of Synchrony, I have found this does not happen. Rather, they are actually like a branch of Amazon, they have not provided any help, but instead send me back to Amazon to try to work it out again and again and this ends up throwing me into an endless loop of miscommunication due to the way Amazon customer service operates.

The Synchrony reps read from a very tight script it seems. In the past 24 months, I have experience an uptick in the number of lost shipments, faulty products, etc. and customer service has been getting worse and hence too much hassle dealing with Synchrony.

It's worth it to me just to use my Amex 2% card on Amazon. Their reps and customer service are a world apart from Amazon.
Usually in credit card threads, the Amazon card they are referring to is the Amazon Rewards Visa, which is issued by Chase. 5% back on Amazon and Whole Foods, 2% on gas, restaurants and drugstores, 1% on everything else.

Access to your account is through Chase and AFAIK all issues would go through them (I don’t know for sure though since ive never actually called them).

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:18 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:

Is it possible to get two completely separate (two separate online accounts) Citi double-cash cards? I want one for medical expenses only (to track for taxes), and I'd like another for everything else I buy that I would only get 1% on with my Costco VISA (like the Trader Joe's across the street, Target, etc.) I want the accounts online totally separate so it doesn't mess up my tracking of medical expenses. I am reluctant to call, because when I applied last week over the phone, the fella from India wanted to READ ALOUD to me all of the fine print. Finally I just told him I had run out of time and applied online. I don't want two cards that are tracked together in the same online account. I got my children added to my Costco VISA, and while their expenses have their name beside them in our online account, we have to add their expenses MANUALLY as does customer support at Costco VISA. In this day and age!!!!! :shock:
Two questions. You wrote that you had your children added to your Costco Visa account. I thought there could only be two memberships in one household? Or can a third (or fourth) card be issued that does not provide access to the warehouse?

When you say you need to add your children's purchases manually, do you mean in an Excel download? I pull the charges down periodically and just sort by name. Were you looking for a total on each monthly bill?

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:13 am

HereToLearn wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 pm
LilyFleur wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:18 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:

Two questions. You wrote that you had your children added to your Costco Visa account. I thought there could only be two memberships in one household? Or can a third (or fourth) card be issued that does not provide access to the warehouse?

When you say you need to add your children's purchases manually, do you mean in an Excel download? I pull the charges down periodically and just sort by name. Were you looking for a total on each monthly bill?
We only have one Costco membership, and all three of us are on it.

Hahaha, well, I should have thought of that.

I called Citibank VISA from Europe while traveling to check on my daughter's expenses, and I wasn't near a computer at the time. I guess the customer service folks fooled me by saying there was no other way for them to do it than to add it up manually!

Thank goodness for smart Bogleheads :D

msi

Post by msi » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:56 am

dallasjava wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:21 pm
msi wrote:

Alliant Visa
Citi Double Cash
Fido Visa
Paypal Mastercard
Capital One Venture
And any others...

The Alliant is not 2% flat. It is 3% in the first year and 2.5% in subsequent years.
Alliant has two cash back credit cards. One pays a flat 2%, and the other pays 2.5% (3% first year).

https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank ... wards-card

rb6p

Post by rb6p » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:

The synchrony card is a store card, rather than a credit card. Not surprised that this is how a dispute would unfold. As someone already posted, the better card would be the chase amazon card, which also offers 5% back.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:16 pm

rb6p wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:04 pm
Barefootgirl wrote:

The synchrony card is a store card, rather than a credit card. Not surprised that this is how a dispute would unfold. As someone already posted, the better card would be the chase amazon card, which also offers 5% back.
Adding:
I've also never come across a situation where Amazon did not allow me to do a return no matter how long ago it was. Of course, I've never asked to do a return that wasn't a bona fide complaint.

Plus they have the A-Z guarantee. You can never actually lose those except for a maximum 20% restocking fee. You will pretty much always be able to return an item to a vendor. And even then, you can appeal the 20% restocking fee and you're most likely going to succeed.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:17 pm

FrugalProfessor wrote:

But then I'd have to use Merrill Edge as my brokerage service instead of Vanguard or Fidelity. :(

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:39 pm

Lee_WSP wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:17 pm
FrugalProfessor wrote:

But then I'd have to use Merrill Edge as my brokerage service instead of Vanguard or Fidelity. :(
I have a token $100k of VTSAX at ME and the rest at Vanguard/Fidelity. The $100k of VTSAX has dividend reinvestment turned on so it's "set it and forget it." Admittedly, I can't tax loss harvest very easily there. If you wanted to go that route, for example, you could convert to VTI before transferring.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 pm

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:39 pm
Lee_WSP wrote:
FrugalProfessor wrote:

I have a token $100k of VTSAX at ME and the rest at Vanguard/Fidelity. The $100k of VTSAX has dividend reinvestment turned on so it's "set it and forget it." Admittedly, I can't tax loss harvest very easily there. If you wanted to go that route, for example, you could convert to VTI before transferring.
I put my Roth IRA there, works fine for that. Vanguard ETFs with free trades.

international001

Post by international001 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:03 am

decapod10 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 pm
FrugalProfessor wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:39 pm
Lee_WSP wrote:
FrugalProfessor wrote:

I put my Roth IRA there, works fine for that. Vanguard ETFs with free trades.
I have my bond allocation for taxable, some people don't do bonds in taxable, but if you do it's a good option. There is usually small benefit in doing TLH on bonds

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:48 am

LilyFleur wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:13 am
But as I understand it you can only have two cards issued. This is a pain point for gas as it proves difficult for the kids to gas up the car at Castco without first getting my membership card....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

ddd

Post by ddd » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:03 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 pm

IMHO, the Travel Rewards is better than the Premium card. Bookings made through the BOA TravelCenter earn 3% rebate, that comes out to 2.625+1.5=4.125% total. and No annual fee. This beats the premium card with a $100 AF. I don't fly AA, don't buy anything inflight, and don't eat out too often. The worst of the Premium card is that you cannot leave it idle because of the AF.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:45 am

I will be contrarian and suggest the Discover it card.

1% cash back on everything (doubled to 2% back in the first year)
5% cash back on rotating quarterly categories (doubled to 10% back in the first year)

And the kicker, 0% interest on purchases for the first 14 months. If you only make the minimum payment each month, That’s another 2-3% return on the amount you keep on the card, assuming you invest that cash in safe investments.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:13 pm

PayPal has a 2% on everything card. Just throwing it out there.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:30 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:48 am
LilyFleur wrote:
But as I understand it you can only have two cards issued. This is a pain point for gas as it proves difficult for the kids to gas up the car at Castco without first getting my membership card....
My son and I both have our Costco Citibank VISA cards doubling as our Costco membership cards. (Costco membership # and photos are on the back of the VISA card.) One less thing to lose!! My daughter doesn't really go to Costco... but she is using the credit card. I don't think she ever even got her Costco membership card--she probably has to go in and get her photo taken for the card first. I had to pay extra for a third person on my Costco membership, and she had to be a Costco member in order to get her own Costco Citibank VISA card.
P.S. Is the gas line orderly at your Costco? I live near two Costcos--one of them is a scary free for all in the gas line, and the other one is much more orderly and safe.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 am

SimonJester wrote:
LilyFleur wrote:
Never been asked to show my Costco membership card at the Costco gas pumps. It appears to be open to everyone.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:46 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:03 am
SimonJester wrote:
LilyFleur wrote:
Never been asked to show my Costco membership card at the Costco gas pumps. It appears to be open to everyone.
You have to scan it to pump the gas at the four started I've used Costco gas at, it's the same at Sam's, so I'd assume it's a Nationwide feature.

The way to get around it is to buy a cash card online.

Noble Knight

Post by Noble Knight » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 am

In my opinion:

Paypal MasterCard - 2% everything
Amex Bluecash Preferred - 6% groceries & streaming, 3% taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses
Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 3% Travel
FNBO Ducks Unlimited - 5% Gas & Sporting Goods stores

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Lee_WSP wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:46 am
MikeG62 wrote:
SimonJester wrote:
LilyFleur wrote:
You have to scan it to pump the gas at the four started I've used Costco gas at, it's the same at Sam's, so I'd assume it's a Nationwide feature.

Does not work that way in NJ. They simply take and swipe my CC and begin to fill up. Maybe the person pumping the gas is using their own Costco card to activate the pump, but never been asked if I were a member or for my card. I've filled up there for years. Same for Sams Club.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:28 pm

SimonJester wrote:
LilyFleur wrote:
The Costco gas pumps here (California) also require me to first swipe my membership card, whether that's a Citi Costco card or just a standard membership card.

However, for shopping in the warehouse there is a workaround (besides Costco Cash cards), if the warehouse has self checkout: send your kids a picture of the barcode of your membership card. At the self check out machine, they just scan the picture of the barcode in place of the membership card. This doesn't work at the pump, since that requires swiping, not scanning the membership card.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:26 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 pm
Lee_WSP wrote:
MikeG62 wrote:
SimonJester wrote:
LilyFleur wrote:

Does not work that way in NJ. They simply take and swipe my CC and begin to fill up. Maybe the person pumping the gas is using their own Costco card to activate the pump, but never been asked if I were a member or for my card. I've filled up there for years. Same for Sams Club.
State law probably disallows barring people from utilizing the pump.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Lee_WSP wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:26 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 pm
Lee_WSP wrote:
MikeG62 wrote:
SimonJester wrote:

State law probably disallows barring people from utilizing the pump.
Correct, the New Jersey legislature has deemed that its citizens are not competent enough to operate gasoline pumps themselves. The Costco staff is probably still supposed to verify membership first, but in the interest of efficiency it seems like they just skip that (esp. since Costco gas stations tend to have long waiting lines).

pyld76

Post by pyld76 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:11 pm

I spend a lot with Amazon. I don't spend enough on groceries at places flagged as groceries to make the Amex blue preferred math work. So,

2% card from my credit union for everything that doesn't have a "better" category below.
5% amazon card just for amazon (it's 1% on everything else).
5% on whatever Chase is slinging this quarter on the freedom card.
3% on groceries with an Amex blue cash card.

This strategy does require you to remember what to pull and when to pull it. I pay no annual fees, and am not required to park money anywhere except $5 and direct deposit at my credit union--which I do anyway.
msi wrote:

Alliant Visa
Citi Double Cash
Fido Visa
Paypal Mastercard
Capital One Venture
And any others...

PSECU on the customer service. Going away. The hitch is that you have to be a member and have a 500 (maybe) direct deposit monthly to get to 2%. Their customer service is, however, second to none.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
SimonJester wrote:
LilyFleur wrote:
But as I understand it you can only have two cards issued. This is a pain point for gas as it proves difficult for the kids to gas up the car at Costco without first getting my membership card....
Huh wow, ours you must insert your membership card before the machine will advance to the payment question. No membership card = no gas pump.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 am

SimonJester wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
SimonJester wrote:
LilyFleur wrote:
But as I understand it you can only have two cards issued. This is a pain point for gas as it proves difficult for the kids to gas up the car at Costco without first getting my membership card....
Huh wow, ours you must insert your membership card before the machine will advance to the payment question. No membership card = no gas pump.
We are not permitted to pump our own gas in NJ. So the attendants presumably swipe their card simply to expedite the process (as lines are typically long), as 02nz said above. Although I've been there when there were no lines and have still never been asked for my card.

I can see why not having a membership card on your person would be an issue in states where you are permitted to pump the gas yourself.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:38 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 am
SimonJester wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
SimonJester wrote:
LilyFleur wrote:
We are not permitted to pump our own gas in NJ. So the attendants presumably swipe their card simply to expedite the process (as lines are typically long), as 02nz said above. Although I've been there when there were no lines and have still never been asked for my card.

I can see why not having a membership card on your person would be an issue in states where you are permitted to pump the gas yourself.
It's two separate laws in NJ:
-no self service gas pumping allowed (only full statewide ban, Oregon's was partially lifted I believe)
-no members-only gas stations allowed (I don't know of any other state where that's true)

The first couple of Costco gas stations in NJ opened as members-only. The relevant state agency found or interpreted the applicable law and forced Costco to open them to the public, around 15 yrs ago.

Costco makes no mention of this on their website that I can see, just says you must be a member. I guess they aren't bending over backwards to draw non-members. But the station at ours (next to Teterboro Airport) is always very crowded, excellent prices: presumably word has gotten around.

CokeSlurpee711

Post by CokeSlurpee711 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:46 am

SIAP, I was unaware of the 3% first year Chase Freedom Unlimited card. I'm a FrugalProfessor BoA disciple, but my DW currently lacks any Chase cards of her own so I am heavily considering picking one of those up to use for a year then sock drawer.

looking

good cash reward credit card

Post by looking » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:59 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

Hello BH

Are there any best credit cards available??, I can apply for, what about capital one planum, chase bank, and cash rewards credit card .bank of America ?///. My FICO score is 745 is it good or just ok. ??

Thank you