salary negotiation help please

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Hillview

salary negotiation help please

Post by Hillview » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:23 am

I am going to meet with the CEO of a start up (just closed series C) for a C-level role. I have not negotiated compensation since the law changed to not allow prospective employers to ask about current salary. This is a face to face with the CEO (I am traveling for it), we have not discussed any salary or comp at all. Any advice on this discussion is appreciated!

bampf

Re: salary negotiation help please

Post by bampf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:35 am

Tell them what you expect to make. In my experience, at the senior levels, you aren't really negotiating. You have a price tag. Explain it to them and make sure you are worth it. Be careful of too much skewed to the "when we go public" side of the equation, but, also recognize that that is a big part of why they would want you there. You should be comfortable with the risk and the reward.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:19 am

Be concise and direct about what your range is. Let the CEO know subtly that you have done some research in the col. Most importantly, exhibit you've done research on their company and share how your experience matches what they need.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:38 am

bampf wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:35 am
Tell them what you expect to make. In my experience, at the senior levels, you aren't really negotiating. You have a price tag. Explain it to them and make sure you are worth it. Be careful of too much skewed to the "when we go public" side of the equation, but, also recognize that that is a big part of why they would want you there. You should be comfortable with the risk and the reward.
Thanks -- I am working on my OTE expectations with a base plan. Yes I do think there will be a lot of carrot talk about IPO/acquisition. Thank you!
harrychan wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:19 am
Be concise and direct about what your range is. Let the CEO know subtly that you have done some research in the col. Most importantly, exhibit you've done research on their company and share how your experience matches what they need.
Thanks this is my 4th interview step and second meeting with the CEO. Sorry what is col (cost of living?). I think he is sold on me so far. Step after comp meeting is to go to Europe and meet with the chairman of the board.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:19 am

I am in a totally different arena so maybe not applicable but what about giving an option:

1) salary of x (large number) with little or no equity;
or

2) low salary and lots of equity.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:22 am

bampf wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:35 am
+1. Most likely they are looking for someone who is aggressive and a risk taker. If your salary expectations are too heavily skewed toward base salary and lighter on stock options that may send the wrong message.