Moving to The Woodlands,TX

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BradJ

Moving to The Woodlands,TX

Post by BradJ »

I am considering applying for a job that is located in The Woodlands,TX. Could someone tell me the good,bad and the ugly of living in the area? Thank you.
samsoes

Re: Moving to The Woodlands,TX

Post by samsoes »

BradJ wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:08 am I am considering applying for a job that is located in The Woodlands,TX. Could someone tell me the good,bad and the ugly of living in the area? Thank you.
No snow, no state income tax, comparitavely low real estate prices.

Please let me know if the new job has any additional openings so I can escape the Northeast Rat Race!
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

The Woodlands is beautiful. You should be pleased...
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

BradJ wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:08 am I am considering applying for a job that is located in The Woodlands,TX. Could someone tell me the good,bad and the ugly of living in the area? Thank you.
Good:
Low cost of living (though recent growth has driven up Woodlands prices a decent bit)
Good schools
Lots of trees (as the name might imply)

Bad:
Traffic - quick growth means infrastructure hasn’t kept up
Long drive to downtown Houston and cultural attractions (can be over an hour during rush hour)
Mostly chain stores and restaurants in the area
Summer heat (evening sea breezes that can provide some relief to Houston in the summer tend not to reach that far inland)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It would be interesting to know from respondents what they based their responses on. Hearsay? A friend who lived there? Family who lived there? They live there? Something else?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

livesoft wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 am It would be interesting to know from respondents what they based their responses on. Hearsay? A friend who lived there? Family who lived there? They live there? Something else?
Facts.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

I live in The Woodlands area.

Weather: exchanged long, cold MN winter for long, hot summers.

Traffic: urban rush hour. Overwhelming to folks who are not accustomed to driving in such a large urban area (Houston in general). No practical alternatives to driving.

Shopping: everything, tends toward upper/upper middle budgets reflecting the income in area. Some folks dont like that shopping centers are generally hidden behind trees, making it hard to find for newcomers.

Neighborhoods: forested suburban. Costs are better than east/west coasts but can be a bit higher than midwest. Property taxes 2-3%. Slightly less expensive outside “The Woodlands” proper.

Cultural: Cynthia Woods pavilion hosts lots of world-class concerts, The Houston Opera, Ballet, and Symphony included. Major sports are an hour away.

Activities: active biking and running groups. Boating at Lake Conroe. Galveston beaches (not florida) less than 2 hours. Austin and hill country 3 hrs. IAH airport 30-45 min.

Politics: Three competing tea-party organizations dominate.

Medical: extensive, excellent. Dont need to go to go to the medical center.

Bottom line: folks either thrive or survive the heat and traffic.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I don't live there but I work there.
Not sure what your priorities are but:

some pros:
-lcol area
-good schools (according to friends w/ kiddos)
-pretty area
-healthcare is good (more doctors in general houston area than any other U.S. city)

some cons:
-heat - mostly june through august. very hot. If there's a water breeze I haven't experienced it (also lived in Miami which did get some clean water air even inland).
-property taxes- can be high but it's a lcol area and all things considered this is a cheap place to live (came from NCY and Miami so that's my comparison).
-generally need a car to get around. Low walkability-> https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Houston
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Good:
Warm weather
Great schools
Texas high school football
Nice and friendly people
Great churches
Great food

Bad:
Texas teams sometimes get broadcast priority over the Tide.
dart330

Post by dart330 »

Be sure to check the floodplain maps before buying a house or renting. Many homes were flooded last year in hurricane Harvey and they are predicting this hurricane season is going to be even more active than last yesr.

Regardless of where you live, I would get flood insurance which is $450 annually outside the floodplains. You never know when the rain will just sit and pour for hours. Once the drainage system backs up the water starts to rise.
joyceg2797

Post by joyceg2797 »

A few other things to consider:
1) Fire ants
2) Some of the best birding in the country
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

alfaspider wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:33 am
Good:
Low cost of living (though recent growth has driven up Woodlands prices a decent bit)
Good schools
Lots of trees (as the name might imply)

Bad:
Traffic - quick growth means infrastructure hasn’t kept up
Long drive to downtown Houston and cultural attractions (can be over an hour during rush hour)
Mostly chain stores and restaurants in the area
Summer heat (evening sea breezes that can provide some relief to Houston in the summer tend not to reach that far inland)
I echo all of this. I presently work in downtown Houston but I take a commuting bus to work (The Woodlands Express). I just try to make lemonade from lemons though. The long commute allows me to detox from work, read, relax and take a 15 minute power nap, which allows me to be a better dad and husband when I get home. In my view, you are eliminating much of the bad (and not losing precious time commuting) by being lucky enough to have an actual job located right in The Woodlands. Otherwise, in my view, the traffic within The Woodlands is manageable. Very rarely do you need to wait longer than a light cycle. When you compare it to other popular places to live in Texas (Southlake near DFW and Cinco Ranch west of Houston), I don't think the traffic is any worse than those areas and probably better.

I would apply for the job.

Cosmo
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

dart330 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:06 pm Be sure to check the floodplain maps before buying a house or renting. Many homes were flooded last year in hurricane Harvey and they are predicting this hurricane season is going to be even more active than last yesr.

Regardless of where you live, I would get flood insurance which is $450 annually outside the floodplains. You never know when the rain will just sit and pour for hours. Once the drainage system backs up the water starts to rise.
Flood insurance just about anywhere in an urban or suburban area in Texas is a must. I would stay away from Creekside near Spring Creek.
http://gis.mctx.org/apps/floodplains/

Cosmo
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

I live in Houston, but used to work in the Woodlands. It is a nice and forested area, there are six different types of poisonous snakes that live in the woodlands including the coral snake. It is kind of far from everything else in Houston so it depends on what your interests are and how far you are willing to drive. If you have to commute from the woodlands to other parts of houston to work except 1 to 2 hour commute on each way depending on where you are going.

If you want to go to any restaraunts that are not chains or more upscale you will have to drive quite far, 20+ miles. The heat through the summer in Houston is horrendous because of the high humidity it makes it so much worse. We do have a relatively low cost of living and no state tax which is great. +1 on flood insurance many people flooded during harvey that never flooded before.
baritone

Post by baritone »

Grew up in Houston. The summer is 7 months. That's seven. Horrible heat and humidity. I'm not going back unless I'm in handcuffs.
I'm in the Albuquerque area now. Best weather in the country, IMHO.
tindel

Post by tindel »

I left the Houston Area about 11 years ago now. I was on the south side of town though (LaPorte, Clear Lake City, and Pearland) and spent my high school and college years there. I also owned a my first home while I was there.

The good:
Many good high paying jobs there - mostly in oil, gas, and medical.
The most diverse city I've been to. Although my limited time in the Woodlands didn't strike me as very diverse.
Friendly people
Good food (I miss tex-mex and Shipley's)
Awesome fishing, hunting, and birding throughout southeast Texas
Democratic city in a Republican state makes for a good balance.
Lots of art of all types (music, sculpture, painting, architecture, etc, etc).

The bad:
F-n-a it's HOT.
Forget going outside 9 months of the year.
Property taxes are unreal (as a percentage of home price). Without state tax, schools have to be funded somehow, and it comes from the property taxes instead. Watch out for MUD taxes, HOA fees, etc. Housing is still quite expensive despite the the low initial house prices. These fees never go away after you pay off your house either.
Professional sports fans are incredibly fair weather.
Traffic is a masochistic affair. I was once caught in a 2 hour traffic jam on Christmas eve.
Nearly everyone drives a $60k tank of a truck getting 7-10 mpg.
One of the highest violent crime rates in the US.

Personally, I hated it there. I'd probably never ever go back there if I didn't have family there. I'd spend a week there in August and realize that 2/3 of the year is like that before moving permanently. There are two nice weeks a year - one in spring, and one in fall. Other than that it always feels like you're taking a shower even when you're not.
LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen »

My buddy has lived in the Woodlands for 6-7 years and they love it. Schools have been outstanding, nice people, beautiful neighborhoods, biking trails, public transit into downtown Houston if you have to commute. I was there a couple years ago, to visit, and it was great. Right in the Woodlands they have tons of nice restaurants and bars. Great area. The Woodlands is really a world away from Houston in my opinion.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

baritone wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:40 pm Grew up in Houston. The summer is 7 months. That's seven. Horrible heat and humidity. I'm not going back unless I'm in handcuffs.
That’s an exaggeration. The truly miserable season lasts from mid June to mid September-ish. The 8 weeks on either side are hit or miss, but still within the range that you can enjoy the outdoors. The rest of year is usually quite nice. Having lived on the East coast, I would argue that there are more “good weather” days in Houston than up there. Admittedly, it’s not as nice as the Mountain West or California.
baritone

Post by baritone »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:23 pm
baritone wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:40 pm Grew up in Houston. The summer is 7 months. That's seven. Horrible heat and humidity. I'm not going back unless I'm in handcuffs.
That’s an exaggeration. The truly miserable season lasts from mid June to mid September-ish. The 8 weeks on either side are hit or miss, but still within the range that you can enjoy the outdoors. The rest of year is usually quite nice. Having lived on the East coast, I would argue that there are more “good weather” days in Houston than up there. Admittedly, it’s not as nice as the Mountain West or California.
"Miserable season" and "good weather" are subjective. Tomorrow is May 1. Look up the 10-day forecast for Houston and don't forget to notice the humidity.
Mid to upper 80's and humid is, to use the technical term, lousy. And that's just starting mañana. Wait a few weeks.
Last edited by baritone on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baritone

Post by baritone »

tindel wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 pm I left the Houston Area about 11 years ago now. I was on the south side of town though (LaPorte, Clear Lake City, and Pearland) and spent my high school and college years there. I also owned a my first home while I was there.

The good:
Many good high paying jobs there - mostly in oil, gas, and medical.
The most diverse city I've been to. Although my limited time in the Woodlands didn't strike me as very diverse.
Friendly people
Good food (I miss tex-mex and Shipley's)
Awesome fishing, hunting, and birding throughout southeast Texas
Democratic city in a Republican state makes for a good balance.
Lots of art of all types (music, sculpture, painting, architecture, etc, etc).

The bad:
F-n-a it's HOT.
Forget going outside 9 months of the year.
Property taxes are unreal (as a percentage of home price). Without state tax, schools have to be funded somehow, and it comes from the property taxes instead. Watch out for MUD taxes, HOA fees, etc. Housing is still quite expensive despite the the low initial house prices. These fees never go away after you pay off your house either.
Professional sports fans are incredibly fair weather.
Traffic is a masochistic affair. I was once caught in a 2 hour traffic jam on Christmas eve.
Nearly everyone drives a $60k tank of a truck getting 7-10 mpg.
One of the highest violent crime rates in the US.

Personally, I hated it there. I'd probably never ever go back there if I didn't have family there. I'd spend a week there in August and realize that 2/3 of the year is like that before moving permanently. There are two nice weeks a year - one in spring, and one in fall. Other than that it always feels like you're taking a shower even when you're not.
AAAAAA......MEN
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Mosquitoes, y'all. Lots of 'em.
basspond

Post by basspond »

joyceg2797 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:19 am A few other things to consider:
1) Fire ants
2) Some of the best birding in the country
There is an office building that has a front row seat to a nesting pair of bald eagles.

Yes the summer has hot days but I can play golf or fish almost everyday of the year.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

The defining characteristic of The Woodlands is that it is a large "master-planned community" conceived of by a famous oil man. If those types of places suit you, it is one of the bigger and better ones. If they don't suit you, run away, as this one is full on regarding rules and uniformity. It is sort of a backlash to the unzoned Houston where there are no rules and no uniformity.

The good news is you can live elsewhere and commute. In fact, Woodlands is on the far north fringe of Houston so if you go farther north you can live in the country on a piece of land or on the shores of Lake Conroe.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

baritone wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:04 pm
"Miserable season" and "good weather" are subjective. Tomorrow is May 1. Look up the 10-day forecast for Houston and don't forget to notice the humidity.
Mid to upper 80's and humid is, to use the technical term, lousy. And that's just starting mañana. Wait a few weeks.
Funny thing is everyone has been gushing about the fantastic weather the past few weeks :-)

Obviously, it’s subjective, but mid-80s with a touch of humidity is a far cry from the furnace that is late July/early August. But I find even those days better than NYC during a heat wave - the Houston heat is easier to escape.

On the upside, you will never have to shovel snow!
Nightowl99

Post by Nightowl99 »

Generally speaking, I think of the Woodlands as a distant suburb of Houston. It may be somewhat safer than Houston and is not bad overall. The traffic going to and from Houston will not be fun. Try to arrange a long visit there before making a decision, if possible. The best advice I can think of: Don't buy a house where it has flooded before, or anywhere near a flood plain, if you can avoid it. I agree with the comments about buying flood insurance too, which is nice to have just in case. Maybe it would be a good idea to rent for a while first, to make sure you like it there and to find out where the most desirable locations are.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Houston is a great place in the winter - all 4 weeks of it.

Don't underestimate how bad it is the remaining 11 months: it's not just the heat but the humidity, bugs and generally being extremely unpleasant outside. Spring time allergies are very bad, mold allergens year round (but that is a TX wide problem). Hurricanes and floods.

That makes me wonder why Houston has so many jobs - and it really does. Jobs in almost every industry are represented, are growing and pay well. Housing costs have soared in the past 2 years and prop taxes are high ~3% + MUD (municipal utilities district taxes). Note that politics in Houston have changed a lot in past 15 years. Harris and possibly Fort Bend counties have seen an influx of non-Texans and are more "progressive". Outlying areas like the The Woodlands, etc. are still more "conservative". Up to you on what you like. Outside of the metro area, it's still Texas though :D
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

snackdog wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:43 am The defining characteristic of The Woodlands is that it is a large "master-planned community" conceived of by a famous oil man. If those types of places suit you, it is one of the bigger and better ones. If they don't suit you, run away, as this one is full on regarding rules and uniformity. It is sort of a backlash to the unzoned Houston where there are no rules and no uniformity.

The good news is you can live elsewhere and commute. In fact, Woodlands is on the far north fringe of Houston so if you go farther north you can live in the country on a piece of land or on the shores of Lake Conroe.
+1

If your work does not require you to go to Houston and you can choose when you want to go there, this makes a great deal of sense. But you still have to carefully avoid areas prone to flooding and you still have to be able to tolerate almost year-round heat and humidity. It seems 90* heat and 90% humidity can be the norm for long periods.
baritone

Post by baritone »

alfaspider wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:30 am
Funny thing is everyone has been gushing about the fantastic weather the past few weeks :-)

Obviously, it’s subjective, but mid-80s with a touch of humidity is a far cry from the furnace that is late July/early August. But I find even those days better than NYC during a heat wave - the Houston heat is easier to escape.

A touch?......Well, to be fair, some people seem unbothered by the humidity. My mother and brother were among them. They lived in Houston their entire lives. When I left, I felt like I caught parole.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

alfaspider wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:30 am

I'm from southern California and actually enjoyed the weather during my 5yr stay in Houston...outside of the insane rain storms.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

sasquatch12 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 pm I live in Houston, but used to work in the Woodlands. It is a nice and forested area, there are six different types of poisonous snakes that live in the woodlands including the coral snake. It is kind of far from everything else in Houston so it depends on what your interests are and how far you are willing to drive. If you have to commute from the woodlands to other parts of houston to work except 1 to 2 hour commute on each way depending on where you are going.

If you want to go to any restaraunts that are not chains or more upscale you will have to drive quite far, 20+ miles. The heat through the summer in Houston is horrendous because of the high humidity it makes it so much worse. We do have a relatively low cost of living and no state tax which is great. +1 on flood insurance many people flooded during harvey that never flooded before.
Small correction: There are four venomous snakes. Rattlesnake, Coral Snake, Copperhead, and Water Moccasin aka Cottonmouth. (Maybe you were including subspecies such as Timber Rattler or Diamondback Rattler)
misterno

Post by misterno »

Never lived in woodlands but judging from trends and shifts in economy, I would say you are 10 years late to catch the boom.

Nevertheless, it will always be better than expensive California (in the short term) and extremely cold and expensive Northeast.

Something in me says, energy boom days are over but technology will always prevail in the long run and thousands of people who moved from CA to Woodlands will be sorry that they moved to TX.

But it is just me.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

the biggest issue with any move is usually culture and climate. A friend who moved from the northeast to S. Carolina was told why did you move here if you don't focus on God, Guns or Golf. His wife loved the art culture an he eventually enjoyed the community and became a beloved hospital volunteer. People can usually make the adjustment to a new culture/climate if they give it a chance.

I had to establish a remote working group in Houston years ago. I found the people very friendly. Were their some people I didn't care for -- sure -- same with some people in the home office. I walked from the office to the hotel one day and no wonder I didn't meet any others along the way -- was it really hot and humid. Not Houston's fault only bad judgement on my part. :oops:
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

samsoes wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:10 am No snow, no state income tax, comparitavely low real estate prices.
I wouldn't count on the no snow part -- I've been stuck at DFW during a snowstorm.
TBillT

Post by TBillT »

We did not live in Houston, but we did live in Baton Rouge a few years.
Southern lifestyle can be different in some ways from the northeast.
I certainly like the warmer climate for year-round jogging etc.
One thing is fire ants so in my experience sitting in the lawn is less likely activity.
Not sure about Woodlands, but neighborhoods tend to be stand-alone, with limited access, so bike riding you cannot really take the side roads because the neighborhoods are often not connected to each other. In older areas where neighborhoods were connected by roads in the past, they closed off the connections. In the Northeast when I jog I go to the high school track...down south they tend to be fenced off and locked. Anyways my impressions, I suppose impressions of a recreational jogger/biker.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

GAAP wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:18 am
samsoes wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:10 am No snow, no state income tax, comparitavely low real estate prices.
I wouldn't count on the no snow part -- I've been stuck at DFW during a snowstorm.
Northern TX will get pretty cold and regular snow/ice. I will not expect it in the Houston metro area at all. Never seen snow in the past 15 years.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

TxAg wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:16 pm
sasquatch12 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 pm I live in Houston, but used to work in the Woodlands. It is a nice and forested area, there are six different types of poisonous snakes that live in the woodlands including the coral snake. It is kind of far from everything else in Houston so it depends on what your interests are and how far you are willing to drive. If you have to commute from the woodlands to other parts of houston to work except 1 to 2 hour commute on each way depending on where you are going.

Small correction: There are four venomous snakes. Rattlesnake, Coral Snake, Copperhead, and Water Moccasin aka Cottonmouth. (Maybe you were including subspecies such as Timber Rattler or Diamondback Rattler)
If you don't bother them, they won't bother you! My gardener has found coral snakes in our backyard. I did make sure to get rid of them as best as I could because my 2 year old will bother them and I can't have a coral snake bothering him.
basspond

Post by basspond »

new2bogle wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:44 am
Northern TX will get pretty cold and regular snow/ice. I will not expect it in the Houston metro area at all. Never seen snow in the past 15 years.
Please only comment on facts. Houston had two snow "events" this past winter. We don't have to shovel though. Main concern is bridges icing over which probably happens every other year but normally doesn't last for more than a day.
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Thank you to everyone for their insight and opinions. Concerning the weather, I currently live in a southern state that has terrible humidity during the summer. Also, I'm one of those weirdo right wingers (not political, but extremely conservative) and Bible thumpers, so Texas will probably accept with open arms (that is until they see who I root for in college football).
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

basspond wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:07 am
new2bogle wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:44 am
Please only comment on facts. Houston had two snow "events" this past winter. We don't have to shovel though. Main concern is bridges icing over which probably happens every other year but normally doesn't last for more than a day.
HAHA. A snow "event" is not a snowstorm. Do even live in Houston?
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Anyone give me a rough estimate on home insurance in the Woodlands? I would be looking at a 2000 sq feet home around 250k.
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Anyone give me a rough estimate on home insurance in the Woodlands? I would be looking at a 2000 sq feet home around 250k.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I'm looking at Austin right now. But if I were looking at Houston, the Woodlands would be at the top of my list! :D

I really don't like snow. I've lived in the US Midwest for a while and I think they get some of the worst winter weather in the world. Don't even talk about the East Coast, the very thought gives me hives. I'll take Texas any time! :beer (As a bonus it's still a Free State, unlike those on the east/west coasts)
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

BradJ wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:42 pm Anyone give me a rough estimate on home insurance in the Woodlands? I would be looking at a 2000 sq feet home around 250k.
Something like $1600/yr for regular home insurance and another $1000/yr for flood.
basspond

Post by basspond »

new2bogle wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:25 am
basspond wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:07 am Please only comment on facts. Houston had two snow "events" this past winter. We don't have to shovel though. Main concern is bridges icing over which probably happens every other year but normally doesn't last for more than a day.
HAHA. A snow "event" is not a snowstorm. Do even live in Houston?
I have lived in Houston 37 years and Texas all my life.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I follow the weather. The next week looks fantastic. Temperatures getting up into the upper 80's but low humidity. Not bad. You are exaggerating but to each their own.

Anyone living in The Woodlands and on Facebook should follow this local "Woodlands Weather Dude". He is not bad.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WoodlandsWeatherDude/

Cosmo
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

As a long time resident of the place I'll chime in again about a few things:

1. Bike riding. The concrete paths around The Woodlands are great for walking, running, and ... bike riding to school, jobs, shops, and restaurants on simple bikes. These paths are not for riding at more than about 10 mph or you will run into someone or their dog. More serious cyclists can get to anywhere in The Woodlands while still avoiding the 3 major east-west roads (Woodlands Parkway, Research Forest, and Lake Woodlands). I have a personal "Tour of The Woodlands" route which is about 50 miles all on roads within The Woodlands, but not the 3 above, except for very short stretches where there are very wide shoulders. I ride my bike a lot around here.

2. Walkability: The place is superbly walkable if you live in the right location. I walk about 4 to 6 miles almost every day. When I was working, I could even walk to work. But I do understand that for some people, "walkability" means: can they walk out their door and reach the Starbucks across the street. I have to walk about half a mile to reach the closest Starbucks.

3. The weather. Sure, it's hot and humid, but so is every place along the Gulf Coast and as far inland as Atlanta. It ain't San Diego. The Weather will affect one's ability to do bike riding and walk since many people don't like to arrive sweaty at their destination.

4. Traffic: It is all relative. The traffic was never a big deal for me since I lived close to work. It is not Houston traffic, nor New York City traffic, nor Bay Area traffic. I had to go to my spouse's work last week which was 10 miles away. It took me 35 minutes ... by bike.

5. It's a Bubble: The place has everything one needs, so if one wanted to live in a Bubble, then one could do that with occasional excursions to the airport which is less than 35 minutes away by car.
I would be looking at a 2000 sq feet home around 250k.
I think this price / size range will put you in a less desirable area of the place and make your house more difficult to sell in the future. The typical bread-and-butter home around here is probably 2400 to 3000 sq ft, 4 br 2.5 ba (but really 3 to 3.5 ba).

It seems you are considering "applying for a job" which is long way from moving to The Woodlands.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

TxAg wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 am
BradJ wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:42 pm Anyone give me a rough estimate on home insurance in the Woodlands? I would be looking at a 2000 sq feet home around 250k.
Something like $1600/yr for regular home insurance and another $1000/yr for flood.
Homeowners sounds right. If you are outside the 100 year flood plain, you will pay $450 per year for FEMA flood insurance.

Cosmo
baritone

Post by baritone »

Cosmo wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:30 am
I follow the weather. The next week looks fantastic. Temperatures getting up into the upper 80's but low humidity. Not bad. You are exaggerating but to each their own.

Anyone living in The Woodlands and on Facebook should follow this local "Woodlands Weather Dude". He is not bad.

Cosmo
Cosmo: Let's chat anytime from June 1 until Sept. 30. In Albuquerque we'll be sitting in the shade comfy when it's 88 degrees.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

baritone wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:45 pm
Cosmo wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:30 am

Cosmo
Cosmo: Let's chat anytime from June 1 until Sept. 30. In Albuquerque we'll be sitting in the shade comfy when it's 88 degrees.
I get that. This wasn't about Albuquerque though. This is about your exaggeration of Houston temperatures.