Moving from CA to Texas. What to do with my car insurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Derivative

Post by Derivative » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:24 pm

I will probably drive to Texas from California.

I have Statefarm but am not sure what to do. Should I pay for the last half of this year? Will it cover me in texas for the last half of the year? What is the cheapest/best option here to transfer my car insurance?

I figure asking people on Bogleheads vs my insurance agent directly first as I think other people may have people's best interests in mind.

Alexa9

Re: Moving from CA to Texas. What to do with my car insurance?

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Simply change your address once you've moved. I would guess your rates will go down. You may want to bump up your coverage during the road trip: roadside assistance, etc. You may find a different carrier has better rates as well.

Derivative

Post by Derivative » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:31 pm
Simply change your address once you've moved. I would guess your rates will go down. You may want to bump up your coverage during the road trip: roadside assistance, etc. You may find a different carrier has better rates as well.
Thank you so much for your reply.

So should I pay the full premium for the last half of this year and just change my address with statefarm? Why will my rates go down (because car insurance is cheaper in Texas)?

Should I try to switch to another car insurance carrier before I pay the premium for the last half of the year?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Your rates might go down. Or they might go up. Regardless, keep your old insurance until you get moved. Youll get a completely new policy in Texas, and a refund on he unused part of your old policy.

HillCountry

Post by HillCountry » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Move. Buy Texas insurance, which is much cheaper. Cancel CA.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 pm

HillCountry wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:43 pm
Move. Buy Texas insurance, which is much cheaper. Cancel CA.
Cheaper would actually depend on what part of CA and what part of TX, but whatever. The rest of the advice is fine.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 pm

When I moved between states I also had State Farm. I just called a State Farm agent in the new state to set up a new policy for convenience since I was very busy and did not want to spend the time to do a lot of shopping. It had been a while but as I recall that allowed me to still get a discount base being a long term customer and the rate in the new state was about the same. You can shop for the best policy with other companies in a few months once you get settled in

Typically you have to get your driver's licence and car registration in the new state within about 30 days or you get a fine. To get your car registered in most states you will need to have car insurance in that state.

You can likely change to a monthly payment plan if you are concerned about getting a refund when you move.

It would probably be best to call your insurance agent and ask how to best handle the move.

Derivative

Post by Derivative » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Okay so they will refund me a prorated rate based on when I cancel? Will this a be a daily prorated rate refund or monthly?

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:59 pm

My rates went down when I left CA for AZ. I kept Allstate and worked with them to switch over. One of the great perks:
- my state tax went down - I received a refund
- insurance down
- property taxes down

Many others as well.

jane1

Post by jane1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Derivative wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 pm
Okay so they will refund me a prorated rate based on when I cancel? Will this a be a daily prorated rate refund or monthly?
I think GEICO does daily proration. Don't know about State Farm. Why not just call them and ask.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:22 am

Derivative wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 pm
The cancellation refund will be prorated from the day it's cancelled.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)