Does Zillow show a history of owner changes to house data?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Nearly A Moose

Does Zillow show a history of owner changes to house data?

Post by Nearly A Moose » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:35 pm

Zillow lets you create an account and claim a house as yours. I'm toying with the long term idea of doing an addition and/or reconfiguration. I don't out too much stock in Zillow's estimates (but man, if they're right about my house ... :greedy ), but since I understand a lot of their formula is based on bedrooms, bathrooms, and square footage, I'd be curious to see whether and how adding square footage, removing a bedroom, etc. Would affect the estimate in general terms. But if instead I sell in two years, I don't want some weird history that makes it look like I made and removed a bunch of changes to my house. Does anyone know how owner changes like that get reflected in the history?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

GoldenFinch

Re: Does Zillow show a history of owner changes to house data?

Post by GoldenFinch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:26 am

The history only reflects sale prices and asking prices, not estimates. You can play around with the stats of your house and make the estimate go up and down.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:28 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:26 am
The history only reflects sale prices and asking prices, not estimates. You can play around with the stats of your house and make the estimate go up and down.
Cool, thanks!
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am

Not sure but I think it shows tax assessments as well (I believe tax/assessment records are their main data source). A large assessment increase while neighbors remain stable might reflect improvements in areas where reassessment does not occur on sale. Assessment practices vary widely around the country

jminv

Post by jminv » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:33 am

GoldenFinch wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:26 am
Actually, you can see what zillow's estimate was month by month going back up to 10 years under 'Zestimate history & details'.

So OP, yes a potential buyer will be able to see that the zillow estimate jumped at whatever point you did an addition. I don't think that would be a problem for marketing the house, though, since you'll probably mention that you did a major recent addition.

You can also play with the features in your house now in the owner's tab to ensure everything is accurate, which will update the pricing when they do their periodic refreshes.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Nearly A Moose wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:35 pm
Zillow lets you create an account and claim a house as yours. I'm toying with the long term idea of doing an addition and/or reconfiguration. I don't out too much stock in Zillow's estimates (but man, if they're right about my house ... :greedy ), but since I understand a lot of their formula is based on bedrooms, bathrooms, and square footage, I'd be curious to see whether and how adding square footage, removing a bedroom, etc. Would affect the estimate in general terms. But if instead I sell in two years, I don't want some weird history that makes it look like I made and removed a bunch of changes to my house. Does anyone know how owner changes like that get reflected in the history?
I did home improvements for our family's enjoyment, not for the investment value. We do not intend to sell the house any time soon. In any case, home improvements generally don't pay for themselves in increased equity (at most they usually break even.)

However, I was interested in the impact because I would have to pay increased property taxes.

The way I did it was to use Zillow to identify houses in the neighborhood that were similar to mine. (It's easier to browse and search in Zillow than in the public databases.) I then went to the city/county tax database and looked at their assessments for houses with and without the improvements I was considering. I was able to form an estimate of what the tax assessment was likely to be. My estimate was close enough.

Zillow hasn't caught up yet, but I expect they will whenever they pull their data from the city/county again.