Settlement Offer -- Accept or Wait?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
3funder

Re: Settlement Offer -- Accept or Wait?

Post by 3funder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:38 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:11 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 am
I think your medical insurance company is going to want to be reimbursed. If you sign that agreement, you may be liable for the reimbursement of medical costs. That ambulance ride and ER Visit was likely a LOT more than $1800. You car insurance company will also want to be reimbursed. Without details, I see easily $5K+ I’m damages here.
This. $1800 certainly won't cover the ER visit. That should be going against their insurance, not yours. You need to be careful.
I consulted a personal injury attorney yesterday. He said the reimbursement for the ER is about what it should be as long as I don't receive any surprise bills. He told me that my medical insurance company might wish to be reimbursed for some of the monies; he also said that they might not even think it worth their while because there isn't very much money sloshing around here in the grand scheme of things. He recommended that I wait to make sure things are properly taken care of on that end as well as to ensure that my back heals properly. The only thing with which he took issue was the $400 for pain and suffering. He thought something in the neighborhood of $1,200 would be more appropriate. Tack on the $150 FSA ER co-pay reimbursement and the $350 reimbursement for the one day of sick leave I took from work, and he thinks approximately $3,000 would be an appropriate figure.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:49 am

3funder wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:38 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
I think your medical insurance company is going to want to be reimbursed. If you sign that agreement, you may be liable for the reimbursement of medical costs. That ambulance ride and ER Visit was likely a LOT more than $1800. You car insurance company will also want to be reimbursed. Without details, I see easily $5K+ I’m damages here.
This. $1800 certainly won't cover the ER visit. That should be going against their insurance, not yours. You need to be careful.
I consulted a personal injury attorney yesterday. He said the reimbursement for the ER is about what it should be as long as I don't receive any surprise bills. He told me that my medical insurance company might wish to be reimbursed for some of the monies; he also said that they might not even think it worth their while because there isn't very much money sloshing around here in the grand scheme of things. He recommended that I wait to make sure things are properly taken care of on that end as well as to ensure that my back heals properly. The only thing with which he took issue was the $400 for pain and suffering. He thought something in the neighborhood of $1,200 would be more appropriate. Tack on the $150 FSA ER co-pay reimbursement and the $350 reimbursement for the one day of sick leave I took from work, and he thinks approximately $3,000 would be an appropriate figure.
Sounds like a cheap ER bill compared to where I live. I don't see any advantage to jumping on a quick lowball offer. That is an insurance company tactic to pay out less and close the matter. Assuming you don't absolutely need the money immediately, I would wait as long as I could.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:52 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:49 am
3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
Sounds like a cheap ER bill compared to where I live. I don't see any advantage to jumping on a quick lowball offer. That is an insurance company tactic to pay out less and close the matter. Assuming you don't absolutely need the money immediately, I would wait as long as I could.
I'm definitely waiting -- of that, there is no question. I will reiterate, however, that my ER visit involved nothing more than a blood pressure check, a five-minute conversation with the doctor, and a few optional prescriptions being written.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 am

3funder wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:52 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
Bacchus01 wrote:
I'm definitely waiting -- of that, there is no question. I will reiterate, however, that my ER visit involved nothing more than a blood pressure check, a five-minute conversation with the doctor, and a few optional prescriptions being written.
Didn't you say you took an ambulance to the ER? How much was that?

An interesting thing where I live is that if you get a city (like fire department) ambulance, there is no charge. There are also contracted ambulances that you do get charged for and it is a lot.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:16 am

I would be shocked if your medical bills from the ambulance and ER aren't much higher. Let us know how it turns out. Glad the injuries were not worse.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:27 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:03 am
3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:

An interesting thing where I live is that if you get a city (like fire department) ambulance, there is no charge. There are also contracted ambulances that you do get charged for and it is a lot.
The Nationwide adjuster offered $700 for the ambulance ride. The personal injury attorney, prior to me disclosing to him, estimated $500 for the cost, so Nationwide appears to be offering an appropriate amount for it. This was not a contracted ambulance.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm

3funder wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:27 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
3funder wrote:

The Nationwide adjuster offered $700 for the ambulance ride. The personal injury attorney, prior to me disclosing to him, estimated $500 for the cost, so Nationwide appears to be offering an appropriate amount for it. This was not a contracted ambulance.
Wow. Where do you live? I’ve never heard of charges that low for an ambulance ride to the ER. Was it a hospital ER? Was it an ambulatory center? A clinic? That seems really, really low

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

That does seem low. For my local area, I have an actual bill for 2017.

Basic emergency service: $1,377.05 + $8 / mile
Insurance paid: $1,239.75
Out of pocket payment: $149.15

Why don't you call the ambulance service and ask them what they charge? Give that info to the lawyer and let him deal with it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:43 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Why don't you call the ambulance service and ask them what they charge? Give that info to the lawyer and let him deal with it.
In some areas, the local government (city, county) provides ambulance services at a low or fixed charge or even for free, like fire and police services generally are. Even from non-governmental providers, the costs can vary greatly within a local market.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Yes, which is why I suggested a phone call. My bill represents the service provided by the local community.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:45 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

The attorney is from the metro area in which I live and has dealt with this stuff zillions of times. I also live in a moderately progressive, relatively well-to-do area (not Beverly Hills or anything like that), so local services are covered pretty well. That said, I'm not taking any action until it's clear what my financial responsibility, if any, will be.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:39 pm

3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
3funder wrote:

What do you mean the adjuster "offered" $x for the ambulance ride?
Last I heard, this wasn't an auction activity.

Unless there is a question about the validity of charges you incur, the insurance needs to PAY THE BILL.

Where they should be "offering" is for pain/suffering, be that a small or large amount.

But BILLS you incur?
Those aren't optional, unless the insurer negotiates directly with the vendor that provided the service, AND the vendor agrees to take that amount *in full* and *not* bill you for any additional amounts.

And again, don't finalize any settlement until you are sure you have no additional injuries (which can be delayed in manifesting themselves) and you are sure enough time has gone by for ALL bills to find their way to you. (Thinking here of things like that outside radiologist/lab/physician who doesn't initially get the right billing info from the hospital, and thus is delayed...)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:39 pm
3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:
3funder wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:

What do you mean the adjuster "offered" $x for the ambulance ride?
Last I heard, this wasn't an auction activity.

Unless there is a question about the validity of charges you incur, the insurance needs to PAY THE BILL.

Where they should be "offering" is for pain/suffering, be that a small or large amount.

But BILLS you incur?
Those aren't optional, unless the insurer negotiates directly with the vendor that provided the service, AND the vendor agrees to take that amount *in full* and *not* bill you for any additional amounts.

And again, don't finalize any settlement until you are sure you have no additional injuries (which can be delayed in manifesting themselves) and you are sure enough time has gone by for ALL bills to find their way to you. (Thinking here of things like that outside radiologist/lab/physician who doesn't initially get the right billing info from the hospital, and thus is delayed...)

RM
The insurance is paying the bill. I believe they simply told me what the ride wound up costing. I used the word "offer" because the settlement is technically considered an "offer", no?

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:07 pm

You’re doing the right thing waiting. Last year I was rear ended and in a lot of pain. Being young and never having any major injuries, I just expected them to go away after a while. A year later and I’m still in pain, still going to physical therapy, and basically left with back surgery as my last option.

3 or 4 days after the accident the other pary’s Insurance admitted fault, acted like they were trying to help me, and offered me $1k pain and suffering plus my medical bills.

Boy am I glad I didn’t take that offer. I told them that I was just focusing on getting better and not willing to sign anything until I understood the extent of my injuries. I now have a lawyer handling my case as it got too complicated for me to deal with the insurance company on my own

3funder

Post by 3funder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:58 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:07 pm
You’re doing the right thing waiting. Last year I was rear ended and in a lot of pain. Being young and never having any major injuries, I just expected them to go away after a while. A year later and I’m still in pain, still going to physical therapy, and basically left with back surgery as my last option.

3 or 4 days after the accident the other pary’s Insurance admitted fault, acted like they were trying to help me, and offered me $1k pain and suffering plus my medical bills.

Boy am I glad I didn’t take that offer. I told them that I was just focusing on getting better and not willing to sign anything until I understood the extent of my injuries. I now have a lawyer handling my case as it got too complicated for me to deal with the insurance company on my own
Thank you for sharing. Fortunately, I'm experiencing mild pain, and I suspect this isn't going to turn into anything; however, I will continue to wait (perhaps longer than I had originally intended, as backs are super tricky).

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:26 am

How long are you allowed to wait

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 am

You’re the victim. You can wait as long as you want within reason. Not three years but certainly you get a few months to put a final value on your losses.