New State Department FCU 2% cash back credit card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
deskjockey

New State Department FCU 2% cash back credit card

Post by deskjockey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 am

I just noticed that SDFCU came out with a new credit card in the last few weeks that gives 2% cash back and a $200 bonus if you spend 3K in the first 90 days. It's a pretty good deal, IMHO--I've gone ahead and applied. Just wanted to share the opportunity.

Here's the link.

KNomad

Re: New State Department FCU 2% cash back credit card

Post by KNomad » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Interesting. I have a CC through SDFCU that has my highest credit limit ($50K) that I never use. Perhaps I'll try to convert that to the 2% back card. I've already got a 2% card with PenFed (preferred because of no foreign transaction fees) and another with Fidelity, but if I'm going to have a card with SDFCU it might as well be 2% cash back.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:35 pm

$200 isn't enough to burn a hard pull unless someone has already worked through all of the "good" cards from the major banks.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 pm

It looks like SDFCU cards can be configured for PIN priority. That is actually quite useful if you travel a lot. Not sure it is worth the hard pull for me at this time but I may consider it.

14. Can I choose to have signature or PIN as my default when using the SDFCU cards?
For New Credit Cards: The application process for a new credit card asks the question if the cardholder will be frequently traveling or living overseas. If you select Yes, you will receive a credit card with the PIN as the default. If you answer No, you will receive a credit card with the signature as the default.

https://www.sdfcu.org/chip-cards

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:22 pm

KNomad wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm
Interesting. I have a CC through SDFCU that has my highest credit limit ($50K) that I never use. Perhaps I'll try to convert that to the 2% back card. I've already got a 2% card with PenFed (preferred because of no foreign transaction fees) and another with Fidelity, but if I'm going to have a card with SDFCU it might as well be 2% cash back.
The SDFCU also has no foreign transaction fees and, as THY4373 noted, it can be set to PIN-priority (that's what I did). I just wish it was contactless, like the Capital One Quicksilver card. That would make it perfect for foreign travel, particularly in Europe.

KNomad

Post by KNomad » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:45 pm

deskjockey wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:22 pm
KNomad wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm
The SDFCU also has no foreign transaction fees and, as THY4373 noted, it can be set to PIN-priority (that's what I did). I just wish it was contactless, like the Capital One Quicksilver card. That would make it perfect for foreign travel, particularly in Europe.
I currently have my PenFed card set up with Google Pay on my phone so it works for contactless payment on most terminals in Europe. Just about every merchant is used to contactless credit cards, but I've blown some minds in The Netherlands, Italy and Spain using my phone. PenFed also has no foreign transaction fee.

The trip cancellation benefit is kind of nice. I think that is above/beyond what my PenFed card has.