EE Bonds Education/Tax Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
AlmstRtrd

EE Bonds Education/Tax Question

Post by AlmstRtrd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:51 pm

I have a bunch of EE Bonds that mature between 2021 and 2023. My longtime girlfriend and I plan to get married later this year. Her daughter is currently in year two of college and may well be in grad school during the above-mentioned years. Can I potentially qualify for the tax-free status on these bonds if I use them to pay for her grad school expenses even though I am technically not her father?

I see this on the Treasury Direct site:

"When using bonds for your child's education, the bonds must be registered in your name and/or your spouse's name. Your child can be listed as a beneficiary on the bond, but not as a co-owner."

The bonds are in my name with my girlfriend as the POD beneficiary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mel Lindauer

Re: EE Bonds Education/Tax Question

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Unless she's your dependent, I don't see how you'd be able to use them tax-free for qualifying educational expenses.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

AlmstRtrd

Post by AlmstRtrd » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:06 pm
Unless she's your dependent, I don't see how you'd be able to use them tax-free for qualifying educational expenses.
Well, my then wife and I would be married and filing a joint return starting this year. She would be claimed as a dependent on our tax return, right?

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 pm

AlmstRtrd wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:06 pm
Well, my then wife and I would be married and filing a joint return starting this year. She would be claimed as a dependent on our tax return, right?
I have no way of knowing if she'll qualify as a dependent on your tax return or not. At her age, she may well be emancipated and filing her own tax return.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi