Citi Thank You points -> Jet Blue, special offer, take it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Da5id

Citi Thank You points -> Jet Blue, special offer, take it?

Post by Da5id »

Got an email saying

"Get 30% bonus TrueBlue(R) points when you transfer ThankYou Points to JetBlue".

This lasts until 5/19. I don't have a current Jet Blue flight in mind, but use them often and TrueBlue doesn't expire. Seems like a good deal. Anyone with Citi Thank You points think there is a reason to not do this? I tend to not convert points to miles until I need them so as to stay flexible, but it is a pretty big bonus.

[edit] Also note that I either need to use my points for cash or transfer them out by August. I got them as bonus for Citi Prestige card, and will drop it before fee is due.
Last edited by Da5id on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starper

Re: Citi Thank You points -> Jet Blue, special offer, take it?

Post by Starper »

I am also considering it though JetBlue points are worth much less now than they used to.
knicknut

Post by knicknut »

I am in a similar situation and am waiting until the end of the period to likely make a similar decision. Leaning towards it, if I don't expect a better use in the next couple months (which I currently don't).

Absent flexibility as TY points, Jetblue is one of the more stable currencies, as you note don't expire, and pricing is relatively consistent. I hate the award charts that offers flights for 12k on Tuesdays at midnight but 50k miles on Friday afternoons, when the real price difference is only 50%.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

When I knew that I would be closing my American Express card two years ago, I transferred all my MR points to Jet Blue, even without a special offer. I used the Jet Blue miles for a few award flights, and I consider this to have been a good way to liquidste my MR points. With your special offer from Citi, you have a better deal than I had, so I would definitely do it.
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

It's decent if you live in Boston or Fort Lauderdale or something, and you'd be flying Jetblue often. But I think that generally, Lifemiles offers the best opportunities for long haul awards free of fuel surcharges, in case you want to travel internationally. Lifemiles is my new favorite Citi transfer partner. I've never been a big fan of Air France Flying Blue or Singapore, and I think Etihad Guest is kind of niche.
Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

This says the conversion to TrueBlue is pretty good deal:

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/30-bon ... s-jetblue/

Says it isn't the best you can get with Citi Thank You, but "the best" here in terms of points->$ is probably first class to France or such. Which I'm not doing anyway.