Cash flow problems - best way to handle?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Leemiller

Re: Cash flow problems - best way to handle?

Post by Leemiller » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:02 am

Op, I’m sorry you’re in this position. What your ex is paying is pathetic. I would consult with a few more attorneys immediately, and sue him for a fair amount. Women really suffer in a divorce. You may have to give up the funding of the 529s to survive now.

Try NASA federal credit union for a HELOC. Avoid a 401k loan, I’d hate to see you not push for a 15-20k raise because that was hanging over your head. I think that new job is where your energy needs to go.

Your housing is very expensive, but since I’m in the DC area I understand that there is a very high floor to costs around here. If there is any way you can do something here, including by increasing your term, do it. I know renting a room to foreign students for a couple of weeks at a time is an option I’ve heard of. Depending on your location, maybe renting a room to a law student or intern here for the summer (assuming you’re metro accessible).

I guess dropping your withholding comes to mind. If you can do anything to increase your income, do it. Maybe you can babysit when your ex has the kids. Around here that is easily $15-20 an hour.

Sam1

Post by Sam1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 am

Can you try and babysit weekend evenings? I live in dc and pay around $80-100 per evening of babysitting. You could post on next door.

Do you truly live in the burbs? I ask because can’t you get rid of your car? I live in DC and use my car on average 2x per month.
If I had a cash flow problem it would be the first thing to go.

Do you have a decent amount of children’s clothing and gear you no longer need? You could sell to a thrift store and possibly cover a week of summer camp.

I second the idea to have a relative visit and babysit for a week instead of summer camp.

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:16 am

ramsfan wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:37 am
wilked wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:23 am
Anyone that is suggesting loans here is missing the forest for the trees. This is not a short term cash flow issue but a fundamental cash flow issue.

There is a reason that lenders will not lend to you if Requires half of your take home pay going to housing. They have teams of statistical data saying it’s a bad bet, that people who allocate that high a percentage to housing default at a high rate.

Housing costs are #1,2, and 3 on your budget. Any change made without a change to that is rearranging the deck chairs. There will always be unexpected expenses (car issues, house issues, braces, cat needs eye surgery, etc) and without both an income cushion and the ability to create a savings cushion you remain very vulnerable to those items.
What he said!
Yep, she either needs more money from the ex or more lattitide on her choice of school district/zip code. I suspect your cash flow issues will get worse before they get better without a change somewhere.

It was striking to me as a parent of two in a low cost area how much more I spend on food than the OP. Part of that is DH is a fourth mouth to feed and I am not forced into such a frugal regime. The shopping at Aldi’s and cooking at home are the same. :wink: But the bigger thing is older kids eat way more. I suspect I spend more feeding just my 16 year old than you spend on three people and he spends his own money on food when out with friends and snacks at work.

Sam1

Post by Sam1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 am

I’m confused why you refuse to move. Your housing expense is your main issue. Since I live in dc I can safely assume you live in a densely populated suburb with plenty of housing options. You can most likely find less expensive housing and give yourself an extra $1k per month.

You can’t afford to spend 50 percent of your income on housing.

The other option is to get a higher paying job

neoptolemus412

Post by neoptolemus412 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:28 am

A lot of replies. The reality is that in divorced households these tough decisions need to be made. If you need under $10k, I’d recommend opening a new credit card and doing one of those 0% interest deals for 12-18 months. I know quite a few are at a 2% fee for 18 months for many new cardholders. It’s not ideal, nor would I say it’s a long-term fix, but you mentioned you have a good credit score.

As far as all the cricket phone, cut all entertainment, and sell a just purchased car suggestions, they are advice for those with no skin in the game. It’s easy to tell someone with kids ‘no netflix’, but $10-$15/month is not the OP’s problem. The real long-term solution is to increase your income. Every dollar helps when saving, but I fundamentally believe that the little stuff just doesn’t kill you. It’s the mortgage that will kill you. Worry about increasing income foremost, while cutting expenses you deem reasonable.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 am

Ok, here's the easy small thing working up to the big things: Stop allowances.

Trade the car for a 3-4 year old one. When you were married, you could afford a new car. You can't anymore. Sorry.

If you legally can do it, stop putting money in the 529. There's no magic to having a 529 for college expenses. I have one kid in his 4th year of college. I never had a 529. Second one starts in a year and a half. I started a 529 only to get my state tax deduction (for $2k contribution) which comes out immediately to pay for son #1.

Now the biggest one: Sell the house and rent. Again, sorry, but when you were married, you could afford the house. You can't now.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 am

Hi, thanks for all the comments. There are so many good suggestions and I plan to implement many of them. I sincerely want to thank those who have sent me private messages and know that this is not just a financial problem, but an emotional one, especially regarding my kids. I am trying not to shake up my kids' lives which are very embedded in our community. My kids are thriving and I want to keep it that way, but I know that changes must be made to make sure that we can stay where we are. I really appreciate that most people here actually seem to care about my feelings and the delicate balance I am trying to strike. For those who have been insensitive and unkind, I have been through both childbirth and divorce - I'm tough!

I wanted to note first that I live in a HCOL area and that the numbers I am quoting are not really out of line for the area I live in. Things like "only pay 2x salary for housing" don't work in the area I live in, as they wouldn't in NYC, the Bay Area, etc. People here, knowing that housing costs are high, make adjustments in other areas of their budget.

I also wanted to note that as I said in my original post, I am not out of non-retirement savings. I was just thinking about the easiest way to get some money if the hot water heater, furnace and washer/dryer all blow up at the same time that I am paying for camps this summer. It's not likely, but it's good to think ahead.

Regarding my job, without giving too many details, they are basically paying me to get a valuable certification that will give me a great career track going forward. If I left now I would lose that. So I need to stay here for another year. I may be able to negotiate a generous raise if I do stay. It looks like such positions are paying $100-110K/year. Until then, I could probably make $15-20 an hour babysitting when the kids are at their dad’s house, or look into other freelance-type work.

I plan to drop cable, Dropbox, and home phone to start with. We never watch tv and never use the home phone anyway. I would like to get a pay as you go phone in case of emergency.

Regarding the 529 plans, our divorce decree states that we will prepay for two years of college per kid. In this particular plan, five years of contributions pays for one year of in-state college. I believe we are almost done paying for that two years for my older daughter, since we started shortly after she was born. So half that expense should go away soon. I would like to pay for more, but not if the money is needed elsewhere.

Regarding housing, I will look both at recasting the mortgage and at renting out my lower level which has a bedroom and bath. We’re not currently using it for anything. It is a legal bedroom with separate entrance, and I am less than a mile from Metro so I believe I could get $800-1000 a month renting it out. For all those encouraging me to move immediately, please note that 1) legally I can't move out of the school district, and 2) that I have looked for rental options within the school district and would not save money by renting. I would take three or four jobs before moving - it is just that important to me. But I will not cash out retirement money or anything like that. And again, in a year I should be making substantially more.

Regarding the vacation, it was paid for a long time ago (share in beach house - my share for a week was $1K). There’s no getting a refund for it, but it is a cheap vacation, basically just pay about $80 for gas and whatever groceries we need. That is also a week of camp we don’t need to pay for.

Regarding child care, my ex does pay the larger portion of child care. I think the split is like 60-40. My older child will not need camps starting next summer and does not use aftercare. Actually it looks like I am only paying about $350/month more in the summer. I think with a few adjustments I can make it work without any of the backups I was asking about. He also pays a few other things, like the first few hundred of medical bills, activities, etc.

Anyway, I appreciate all the ideas. I’m just getting started. Thanks!
Last edited by MnyGrl on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 am

I would definitely cancel the summer camp unless it is for day-care services you need to go to work.
Last edited by rgs92 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:33 am

rgs92 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 am
I would definitely cancel the summer camp unless it it for day-care services you need to go to work.
Yes, it is for day care so I can work.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:57 am

One suggestion I haven’t seen mentioned yet. Give back the car and get a no down payment lease for ~$150/month. Leasehackr.com has some great deals.

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:14 am

bayview wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:55 pm
It's just unbelievable how people don't read all the posts by OP before commenting...

OP, I think you got screwed in your divorce settlement. I would definitely go back to court to revisit the 529 agreement. You already have a good chunk of change in there. It can certainly take a funding break for a while, especially if you have a chance to get a higher-paying job next year.

If I read correctly (see my first paragraph :D ), you actually have the money you need now, you're just worried because you've lost your cushion, is that correct?
I am on a pretty tight budget. I live in a HCOL area and have a moderate income. This year I needed to get a new car so took a big chunk of money from savings. There have been a few other things that have come up as well, so my savings have gotten very low. I will need to pull some money out of savings for summer camps for the kids, and I am afraid of running out of cash this summer. I don't need a substantial amount - at the high end, this would probably be 5K or so.
If so, it seems like you have enough cash on hand to get you through the summer. You're just losing your savings cushion, which makes you understandably nervous. If that is the case, I wouldn't borrow anything until you absolutely had to.

I like the idea of a roommate, although if you're in a 2BR townhouse, that sounds like a no-go, unless there's a room of some sort that could be made into a bedroom, complete with a door. Maybe there's a cabinet secretary who could pay $50/night. :D

Maybe your longed-for vacation can be a stay-cation this year. I suppose your day camp budget has already accounted for not needing to pay for one of those summer weeks, but maybe you can be inventive and find some fun and cheap local things to do. (For those who didn't read all the posts, this so-called "camp" is summer day care. They are not riding horses and learning archery. Well, maybe they're learning archery, but if so, it's on a school playground.)

Keep internet (you need that), cut cable, cut phone if you can while still being available for emergency calls and texts.

eta: oh, and adjust your withholding to reduce the refund. After all, you titled this thread "cash flow problems", and this is a good way to improve your cash flow.
This. Also, I strongly agree with the people who talk about YNAB. I tried about 5 programs including MINT before I fell onto YNAB 8 years ago and I feel like I have the best control with YNAB. You can try a trial for free...you might want to see if you like it.

I think you can make it without a loan if you really buckle down and have some luck (that nothing big breaks). If something does or you absolutely can't make it, I'd go with the 0% credit card and then transfer if you have to to another 0%, planning the new payment in your budget. Everything but the essentials would need to be cut out until you could pay that off.

Another thing that I would consider getting rid of is the allowances for the kids, at least for the time being. My kids don't get allowances in any form and that would save you a little bit since every dollar counts.

One thing I want to point out to others is that a new car over a used purchase is not necessarily a bad idea so I don't think you should be getting as much flack as you are about it. I have purchased both and sometimes the new car is actually cheaper than what the used cars same brand/model are selling for or the discount isn't significant enough to be worth the bite of a used car and the problems. Additionally, unless you know how to do the repairs yourself, you could be taking a big risk with a used car.

OP, I feel for you and think you are doing well with thinking ahead for your "what if" situations. I've depleted my EF a few times before and I understand feeling nervous until I revive it. The best of luck to you.

Raabe34

Post by Raabe34 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:20 am

I don't think I was as direct about my idea on the first post as I could have been. You obviously own a valuable piece of RE and I'm not familiar with your local market for it but could you run some airbnb rentals through it when the kids aren't there? That might be less hassle than permanently renting those rooms and be able to generate a good amount over a couple weekends. That's the hand I see dealt.

You obviously are thrifty to be able to survive and advance your wealth with basically $2000 spendable monthly.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 am

Raabe34 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:20 am
I don't think I was as direct about my idea on the first post as I could have been. You obviously own a valuable piece of RE and I'm not familiar with your local market for it but could you run some airbnb rentals through it when the kids aren't there? That might be less hassle than permanently renting those rooms and be able to generate a good amount over a couple weekends. That's the hand I see dealt.

You obviously are thrifty to be able to survive and advance your wealth with basically $2000 spendable monthly.
Hi, I need to check with my HOA regarding AirBNB. Some HOAs don't allow it for a number of reasons. I believe I could have longer term renters though. It is well set up in the basement as an apartment and we really don't need the space.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 am

MnyGrl wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:36 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:11 am
I would post my budget here and let us tell you suggestions on how to improve your budget. The only long term solution to a cashflow problem is to spend less or make more money. None of your proposals address either of those and in fact they all increase your spending.
I am posting my monthly budget. I currently have about 100K in home equity, 350K in retirement accounts, and about 20 years until retirement. At this time, my monthly SSN payment (at 66) would be about $2244. I also get a substantial amount back in taxes - this year about $6500. Unfortunately I spent it on new car, so that's why I'm short on savings.

I also wanted to add that I am not able to leave my job or sell my house at this time. I would be open to leaving my job next year and could probably make 15-20K more if I changed jobs. Housing is expensive where I live, but I can't move due to school/custody issues. Would be open to moving in about 10 years (when last child is launched).

I appreciate your input!

(deleted)
You've got other issues that others are addressing (budgeting/spending), but why didn't you lease or finance your new car purchase? That seems to be a source of the current cash flow problem, and you can still consider an auto equity loan if you have good credit and can find a credit union that offers a low rate.

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/smart-m ... uity-loan/

https://www.fedchoice.org/loans/clear-title-auto-loan/
http://www.uecu.org/?q=UECU%20Auto%20Loan
https://www.riverfrontfcu.org/Rates.asp

Long term, LBYM by spending less and saving more.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi MnyGrl:

I just wanted to say it seems to me that you're doing great under difficult circumstances and obviously are a very devoted and focused Mom. We have two young kids and "camp" for us, just like for you, is far from a luxury item, i.e., it's the city-run rec center. Gotta put the kids somewhere during the day while we work unless we have the cats watch them at home.

Your budget is tight obviously but you seem to be on top of it and it's a very good sign that you don't have credit card or other debt other than what I consider to be reasonable car debt. It seems to me that as busy as you must be working and carting the kids around reasonable, reliable transportation in the form of a modestly priced Camry seems like a worthwhile expenditure. And with a new car you won't have any major maintenance issues during the three-year warranty period and probably not after that either given it's a Camry.

Especially since you might not actually need help with your current potential cash flow issue, I would recommend getting a no-cost home equity line of credit that hopefully you will never have to use. We got one from Third Federal (an Ohio bank) although we are in Washington state. The whole thing was done online with no fees whatsoever and their rates are very competitive. They sent out a notary (at their expense) to our house to have us sign everything when it was approved. It did take awhile to get approved, however. I think they're pretty busy because they offer very good rates, much better than we could find around here at the time. It is nice having that source of funds available if we need it.

Good luck with everything, and like others, I would respectfully suggest that you postpone if you can the 529 contributions for a while.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:45 pm

MnyGrl wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 am
Raabe34 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:20 am

Hi, I need to check with my HOA regarding AirBNB. Some HOAs don't allow it for a number of reasons. I believe I could have longer term renters though. It is well set up in the basement as an apartment and we really don't need the space.
OP, you're doing your best in a tough situation. Kudos to you!

Even before you check with your HOA, you can look on Airbnb and see what people in your area are charging for a private room (not an entire place). That can give you a sense of whether Airbnb or a long term renter would be a better option. Airbnb is definitely going to be more work than a long term renter, and you will probably have plenty of days with no occupancy...if you think you can get $800-$1000 a month with a long term renter, I would not even consider Airbnb unless the going rate in your area suggests you could get $800-$1000 in 10 to 15 days of occupancy. I am guessing your area is better suited for a long term renter than short term renters.

It does sound like the best plan of action is:

1) 0% credit card for any immediate needs (hopefully none!)
2) Monetizing your extra bedroom to alleviate your permanent cash flow problem
3) Getting a bigger salary in a year to get yourself back on a good savings track

I think talking about the small stuff like Netflix, etc is just a distraction. $10 a month here or there is not going to be the difference between success and failure. If you don't really use Netflix then by all means cancel it. But getting income out of the extra bedroom should be your first priority right now IMO.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:51 am

PugetSoundguy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:34 pm
Hi MnyGrl:

I just wanted to say it seems to me that you're doing great under difficult circumstances and obviously are a very devoted and focused Mom. We have two young kids and "camp" for us, just like for you, is far from a luxury item, i.e., it's the city-run rec center. Gotta put the kids somewhere during the day while we work unless we have the cats watch them at home.

Your budget is tight obviously but you seem to be on top of it and it's a very good sign that you don't have credit card or other debt other than what I consider to be reasonable car debt. It seems to me that as busy as you must be working and carting the kids around reasonable, reliable transportation in the form of a modestly priced Camry seems like a worthwhile expenditure. And with a new car you won't have any major maintenance issues during the three-year warranty period and probably not after that either given it's a Camry.

Especially since you might not actually need help with your current potential cash flow issue, I would recommend getting a no-cost home equity line of credit that hopefully you will never have to use. We got one from Third Federal (an Ohio bank) although we are in Washington state. The whole thing was done online with no fees whatsoever and their rates are very competitive. They sent out a notary (at their expense) to our house to have us sign everything when it was approved. It did take awhile to get approved, however. I think they're pretty busy because they offer very good rates, much better than we could find around here at the time. It is nice having that source of funds available if we need it.

Good luck with everything, and like others, I would respectfully suggest that you postpone if you can the 529 contributions for a while.
Thanks for the HELOC suggestion, I will check them out!

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:43 am

In addition to cut misc expense. You will need ask kids to do their part job. If you want summer camp, that's fine, do find a part-time job. Want to watch Netflix, fine, deliver newspaper to make the $10.99 fee. Dine out, no, buy fresh food from local grocery and teach your kid how to cook. New car, keep it, find a car pooling buddy and share the cost. There are many ways to save money.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:43 am
In addition to cut misc expense. You will need ask kids to do their part job. If you want summer camp, that's fine, do find a part-time job. Want to watch Netflix, fine, deliver newspaper to make the $10.99 fee. Dine out, no, buy fresh food from local grocery and teach your kid how to cook. New car, keep it, find a car pooling buddy and share the cost. There are many ways to save money.
I am not a fan of having under age kids working outside the home.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:29 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
I'm pretty sure that my eight-year-old couldn't get hired anywhere. We rarely eat out. The summer camp is something they would probably rather not do, we only do it because I work and so does my ex and they are too young to be left home alone. Car pooling is a possibility, but I work so close to home that I'm not sure I could find anyone to pick up on the way there.

I understand what you're saying though, there are probably many little things we could do.
Last edited by MnyGrl on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm

MnyGrl wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:29 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
I'm pretty sure that my eight-year-old couldn't get hired anywhere. We rarely eat out. The summer camp is something they would probably rather not do, we only do it because I work and so does my ex and they are too young to be left home alone. Car pooling is a possibility, but I work so close to home that I'm not sure I could find anyone to pick up on the way there.
Take kid to local library, check out free free books and video. Childcare share during summer time. There are so many national museum in DC area. No matter what, never borrow through the cash flow crisis.

LukeHeinz57

Post by LukeHeinz57 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:50 pm

I love the Bogleheads forum, full stop. But I am appalled at some of the responses here :shock: ...some from posters I respect and admire for their input into other financial advice topics...

MnyGrl, you are obviously smart enough to sort out the good advice here from the unhelpful nonsense. I don't have any new suggestions other than to echo those who suggested prioritizing your efforts and energy on those with the greatest financial return. As a parent of multiple young kids, the idea that I would cancel Netflix to save the $11/mo is humorous. :oops: But renting out the room that could be a game changer for you.

Best wishes and triage the things requiring your time and attention. You are dealing with enough right now (emotionally and otherwise), plan ahead sure, but don't borrow potential troubles of next month until necessary. :)
"Contentment", the only thing you ever truly need more of!

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 pm

LukeHeinz57 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:50 pm
I love the Bogleheads forum, full stop. But I am appalled at some of the responses here :shock: ...some from posters I respect and admire for their input into other financial advice topics...

MnyGrl, you are obviously smart enough to sort out the good advice here from the unhelpful nonsense. I don't have any new suggestions other than to echo those who suggested prioritizing your efforts and energy on those with the greatest financial return. As a parent of multiple young kids, the idea that I would cancel Netflix to save the $11/mo is humorous. :oops: But renting out the room that could be a game changer for you.

Best wishes and triage the things requiring your time and attention. You are dealing with enough right now (emotionally and otherwise), plan ahead sure, but don't borrow potential troubles of next month until necessary. :)
Yes agreed - someone who is recently divorced attempting to pull all this together in a short time but with the motivation and wherewithal to seek out this information and help. You are in good shape for your age and much better than 90+% of the population - it will get better from here. You have also shown an ability to sort through many views and seem to be able to take what will work and is positive and move forward.
I wish more of my acquaintances had your skills - good luck.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:16 pm

LukeHeinz57 wrote:

Yes, that $10.99 for Netflix is really important when you have kids. :)

Thanks for the kind words!

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:18 pm

smitcat wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:07 pm
LukeHeinz57 wrote:

Yes agreed - someone who is recently divorced attempting to pull all this together in a short time but with the motivation and wherewithal to seek out this information and help. You are in good shape for your age and much better than 90+% of the population - it will get better from here. You have also shown an ability to sort through many views and seem to be able to take what will work and is positive and move forward.
I wish more of my acquaintances had your skills - good luck.
Thank you! I know it will keep getting better, I just have to hang in there. :D

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:19 pm

LukeHeinz57 wrote:
... I am appalled at some of the responses here :shock:
Too many either didn't read through most of the thread, or simply have no idea what it means to be a working parent with young kids.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Maybe I'm from a different planet, but some of the responses you've been getting are bizarre. It seems like you can do baby steps to resolve this temporary problem. Given the entire situation that you've described, and given life in a HCOL area, it really does sound like you simply have a very temporary problem caused by the need for the new car and the related up-front money. And it sounds like you have a really good handle on your overall situation.

The first thing I'd consider, a partial solution, is looking at whether you can simply and safely reduce your income tax withholdings right now. No cost, and no detriment. Since this would be spaced out over the rest of the year, it's just a start. But run your income and deduction numbers with the new 2018 tax law and see if you can synch your withholdings to actual tax liabilities. That money will do better in your pocket.

I think 2 of your 3 original suggestions are perfectly fine. My opinion, though, is that tapping your 401k should probably be a last resort for the sake of your future.

In addition, you mentioned credit union. Most credit unions offer personal loans, signature loans not secured by a home. As an example, mine is currently offering 7.99% for up to 60 months. Easy to apply (mine does it online with very fast results). And you can tailor that loan time-frame to meet your needs.

I'm assuming you don't have a non-retirement brokerage account, where you could do a margin loan (current rates from Schwab, as an example, are around 9%). There are risks (you need to understand margin requirements), but you can borrow for exactly the time required.

From your budget, I don't see evidence of a whole life insurance policy, but should you have one, a small loan of this size will be fast, easy and economical.

Bottom line, all these alternatives for a small loan of under $5k for just a few months is really a drop in the bucket Interest-wise. Any of them will be fine. Make sure you have an adequate cushion in all your planning for unforeseen emergencies. Best of luck.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 am

DetroitRick wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:13 pm
Maybe I'm from a different planet, but some of the responses you've been getting are bizarre. It seems like you can do baby steps to resolve this temporary problem. Given the entire situation that you've described, and given life in a HCOL area, it really does sound like you simply have a very temporary problem caused by the need for the new car and the related up-front money. And it sounds like you have a really good handle on your overall situation.

The first thing I'd consider, a partial solution, is looking at whether you can simply and safely reduce your income tax withholdings right now. No cost, and no detriment. Since this would be spaced out over the rest of the year, it's just a start. But run your income and deduction numbers with the new 2018 tax law and see if you can synch your withholdings to actual tax liabilities. That money will do better in your pocket.

I think 2 of your 3 original suggestions are perfectly fine. My opinion, though, is that tapping your 401k should probably be a last resort for the sake of your future.

In addition, you mentioned credit union. Most credit unions offer personal loans, signature loans not secured by a home. As an example, mine is currently offering 7.99% for up to 60 months. Easy to apply (mine does it online with very fast results). And you can tailor that loan time-frame to meet your needs.

I'm assuming you don't have a non-retirement brokerage account, where you could do a margin loan (current rates from Schwab, as an example, are around 9%). There are risks (you need to understand margin requirements), but you can borrow for exactly the time required.

From your budget, I don't see evidence of a whole life insurance policy, but should you have one, a small loan of this size will be fast, easy and economical.

Bottom line, all these alternatives for a small loan of under $5k for just a few months is really a drop in the bucket Interest-wise. Any of them will be fine. Make sure you have an adequate cushion in all your planning for unforeseen emergencies. Best of luck.

Great ideas, thank you!

simas

Post by simas » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:42 am

good luck to you!

short term needs (5k) could be addressed with short term fixes (personal load, credit union, etc), and may be they should.

the bigger problem to me (and I would be direct), is longer term picture. your income and expenses are out of whack (what you spend on housing as percentage of your income). you seem to try to perpetuate the same pre-divorce lifestyle in HCOL location without having resources to do so. either get the resources, or get out of that lifestyle and/or location. otherwise, longer term you are doomed to failure as you are one/two emergencies away from disaster. your life changed, your circumstances changed. change is constant, you as adult has to deal with it. kids will deal with it too.

that may be a new job, may be a review of how you are paid vs market pay (new company may 'make you whole' on cost of our training if needed). it may be move (and not only within local area). you have to be open to options or you will certainly drown in the next wave that comes.

Also, the 'legally I cant move from the school district' , the 'kids are invested in the community', items are honestly nonsense. yes, are you not a slave with a chain on your neck and can move this second or tomorrow if you wish to. no, kids can and will survive and thrive . Pretending all is fine , financial situation did not change (divorce did not happen) is a bad strategy.

Nothing here is intended to 'beat you up', just realize that once you deal with short term issue you still have to think through what your longer term plan is. people will help you (including here). just that "hope for the best" is not a strategy and people who fail to plan are planning to fail...

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 am

simas wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:42 am
good luck to you!

short term needs (5k) could be addressed with short term fixes (personal load, credit union, etc), and may be they should.

the bigger problem to me (and I would be direct), is longer term picture. your income and expenses are out of whack (what you spend on housing as percentage of your income). you seem to try to perpetuate the same pre-divorce lifestyle in HCOL location without having resources to do so. either get the resources, or get out of that lifestyle and/or location. otherwise, longer term you are doomed to failure as you are one/two emergencies away from disaster. your life changed, your circumstances changed. change is constant, you as adult has to deal with it. kids will deal with it too.

that may be a new job, may be a review of how you are paid vs market pay (new company may 'make you whole' on cost of our training if needed). it may be move (and not only within local area). you have to be open to options or you will certainly drown in the next wave that comes.

Also, the 'legally I cant move from the school district' , the 'kids are invested in the community', items are honestly nonsense. yes, are you not a slave with a chain on your neck and can move this second or tomorrow if you wish to. no, kids can and will survive and thrive . Pretending all is fine , financial situation did not change (divorce did not happen) is a bad strategy.

Nothing here is intended to 'beat you up', just realize that once you deal with short term issue you still have to think through what your longer term plan is. people will help you (including here). just that "hope for the best" is not a strategy and people who fail to plan are planning to fail...

Hi, through the suggestions in this thread I have already identified ways to bring in about $1600 additional per month (by renting out basement apartment and adjusting my tax withholding). In addition I am dropping cable, phone and a few other things. This will solve the cash flow problem and let me keep saving for retirement and college.

As I said above I should be changing jobs next year and get a significant raise.

If everything falls apart and I lose all my assets and become long term unemployed and the house explodes, I’ll of course make adjustments.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 am

MnyGrl wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 am
Hi, through the suggestions in this thread I have already identified ways to bring in about $1600 additional per month (by renting out basement apartment and adjusting my tax withholding)
The best way to adjust tax withholding is the IRS Withholding Calculator, from the IRS. It uses your latest numbers to figure out what's left for the rest of the year. If you need help with the calculator just ask.

Make your adjustments and see how it goes. You don't need to get it perfect, as you can always change your withholdings as many times as you like over the course of the year.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:52 am

UncleBen wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:52 am
Change your withholdings to get the extra $500-ish/month in your paycheck. Be sure to double check your 2018 liability under the new tax law.

What you and your spouse purchased together is now a home that costs 53% of your take home. It's very common for the custodial parent to try to maintain the status quo for their children. But you might want to take a serious look at other living arrangements. House "poorness" appears to be the root issue in your budget not a one time temporary cash flow problem. Summer camp will happen next year too and you don't want to get into a cycle of borrowing which will just compound the cash flow problem.
+1

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 am
MnyGrl wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 am
Hi, through the suggestions in this thread I have already identified ways to bring in about $1600 additional per month (by renting out basement apartment and adjusting my tax withholding)
The best way to adjust tax withholding is the IRS Withholding Calculator, from the IRS. It uses your latest numbers to figure out what's left for the rest of the year. If you need help with the calculator just ask.

Make your adjustments and see how it goes. You don't need to get it perfect, as you can always change your withholdings as many times as you like over the course of the year.
This is great, thank you!!

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am

I’m also appalled by some of the responses on this thread. There is also an underlying insensitively to many of them. Op is in great shape because she has a career but there is a reason that the majority of households living at the poverty level are headed by women. There are many threads giving working moms flack but if OP didn’t have job skills, her and her kids would be in a very tough situation.

Op, look again at the college costs agreement in your divorce decree. It sounds like how much you put in a month may be flexible as long as you hit a total dollar amount? If so, given your career plans for the next 2 years that is an easy place to cut. Again, a mini fridge and renting that room over the summer to a graduate student might be a good solution.

Op there is also the delivery service option. Like work for instacart, but I think I’d focus on the renting downstairs option personally.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:49 am

deleted

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi, I wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread in April. I received many good ideas and have them all listed on my phone, in case they need to be implemented. I got one of the Fidelity VISA cards with 0% interest in case I needed to float anything during the summer, but haven't used it at all.

I wanted to give an update: I received a promotion today - basically a new job has been created for me. It will be significantly more money and moves me up the ladder in a big way. I love my workplace and the people here, and I am so grateful that they are making it financially possible for me to stay, as I was considering a move next year just to get a pay bump.

Best of all, it has been a very uneventful summer and not only have I not needed to dip into savings at all, but have been able to build up more savings. So I'm in good shape heading into the fall.

Again, thanks to all who offered help and supportive words! :sharebeer

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Congratulations! That's great news!! I remember this thread vividly. Thanks for sticking with it through the negativity.

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:20 pm

Leemiller wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am
I’m also appalled by some of the responses on this thread. There is also an underlying insensitively to many of them. Op is in great shape because she has a career but there is a reason that the majority of households living at the poverty level are headed by women. There are many threads giving working moms flack but if OP didn’t have job skills, her and her kids would be in a very tough situation.

Op, look again at the college costs agreement in your divorce decree. It sounds like how much you put in a month may be flexible as long as you hit a total dollar amount? If so, given your career plans for the next 2 years that is an easy place to cut. Again, a mini fridge and renting that room over the summer to a graduate student might be a good solution.

Op there is also the delivery service option. Like work for instacart, but I think I’d focus on the renting downstairs option personally.
What's the reason?

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:40 pm

MnyGrl wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:44 pm
<snip>
I wanted to give an update: I received a promotion today - basically a new job has been created for me. It will be significantly more money and moves me up the ladder in a big way. I love my workplace and the people here, and I am so grateful that they are making it financially possible for me to stay, as I was considering a move next year just to get a pay bump.

Best of all, it has been a very uneventful summer and not only have I not needed to dip into savings at all, but have been able to build up more savings. So I'm in good shape heading into the fall.

I am seeing this post for the first time today: CONGRATULATIONS! :sharebeer

How nice to read about your promotion and that things have worked out very well for you since your OP!

Awesome!!! Such great news to be heading into the weekend, too!

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Good to hear your update! Great that you were able to do it with out selling your car, selling your home, forcing your young children to find jobs, taking on another job, eliminating all entertainment and joy from your life....sometimes the advice here is painful to read. Again, congratulations and I'm glad the summer has been enjoyable for you and the kids.
Lincoln 3 EOW!

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 am

Maverick3320 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:20 pm
Leemiller wrote:

What's the reason?
Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... d+by+women

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 am

MnyGrl wrote:
Hi, I wanted to thank everyone who responded to this thread in April. I received many good ideas and have them all listed on my phone, in case they need to be implemented. I got one of the Fidelity VISA cards with 0% interest in case I needed to float anything during the summer, but haven't used it at all.

Congratulations!

Excellent news about the unexpected promotion.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:39 pm

1) Change W4 on Monday
2) get a 2nd or 3rd job or open a small biz from home. I do ebay, and it's not a ton of money but has made a big difference..
3) post details on the year/make/model of car. Nobody NEEDS a new car. Not trying to be mean but our households makes more than double yours and my daily driver is $2000 and my wife's is about $1500. They run just fine. Be careful about how you are justifying this sort of purchase/want as a need. A car might be a need, but a NEW car is a want.
4) your 401K isn't an emergency fund. If that's your solution for any cash crunch, retirement won't be as comfortable as you would like to think...

Good Luck

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:39 pm
1) Change W4 on Monday
2) get a 2nd or 3rd job or open a small biz from home. I do ebay, and it's not a ton of money but has made a big difference..
3) post details on the year/make/model of car. Nobody NEEDS a new car. Not trying to be mean but our households makes more than double yours and my daily driver is $2000 and my wife's is about $1500. They run just fine. Be careful about how you are justifying this sort of purchase/want as a need. A car might be a need, but a NEW car is a want.
4) your 401K isn't an emergency fund. If that's your solution for any cash crunch, retirement won't be as comfortable as you would like to think...

Good Luck
You’re a little late to the party....lol.... OP has posted just above that she got a promotion and is doing great.
Congratulations to OP!!!! :)

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:35 pm

MnyGrl wrote:

That’s awesome news!!! Congratulations!!!

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:41 am

go_mets wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 am
Maverick3320 wrote:
Leemiller wrote:

What's the reason?

I was asking you specifically.

Men that spend 50% of housing would face exactly the same comments from the Bogleheads crowd.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:50 am

Maverick3320 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:41 am
go_mets wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 am
Maverick3320 wrote:
Leemiller wrote:

What's the reason?

I was asking you specifically.

Men that spend 50% of housing would face exactly the same comments from the Bogleheads crowd.
Hi, this was a very contentious thread and I don't think anyone wants to rehash the arguments. I just wanted to share the news about my promotion (which will also come with a large bonus that I will use to pay off the car). I will be well under 50% on housing now.

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:51 am

Texgal17 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:35 pm
MnyGrl wrote:

That’s awesome news!!! Congratulations!!!
Thanks!!!

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:51 am

go_mets wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:32 am
MnyGrl wrote:

Congratulations!

Excellent news about the unexpected promotion.

Thank you!

MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:52 am

rjbraun wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:40 pm
MnyGrl wrote:
<snip>

I am seeing this post for the first time today: CONGRATULATIONS! :sharebeer

How nice to read about your promotion and that things have worked out very well for you since your OP!

Awesome!!! Such great news to be heading into the weekend, too!
Thanks!