Active Adult Retirement Communities

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
hawkfan55

Active Adult Retirement Communities

Post by hawkfan55 »

I am looking for suggestions from Bogleheads as to nice Active Adult Retirement Communities in Florida and Arizona that we might want to consider? We enjoy golf, walking, bicycling, pickleball, and socializing. We want to keep our housing expense under $500k. Thank you.
Forum Library of Investing Advice: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
HomerJ

Re: Active Adult Retirement Communities

Post by HomerJ »

The two we've visited so far are:

The Villages in middle Florida

https://www.thevillages.com/

And Trilogy at Encanterra in Phoenix

http://www.trilogylife.com/communities/ ... ncanterra/

The Villages was huge, like 100,000 people... If you like sports, that seems to be an incredible place. They have clubs for everything, and all skill levels. That's the best part about it. If you want to try a new sport, they have a beginner's club, all the way up to expert. I think they have like 15 softball leagues in the winter... Not 15 teams, 15 LEAGUES.

But my wife and I are not really sold on Florida. Too humid, too buggy. The Villages is still a good possibility though. We have some friends who live there, and they love it.

The Arizona community was much smaller (I think they are building out to 5000 people), but they still have a ton of clubs and activities, and the homes and the clubhouse there are really high-end. We stayed there for a weekend, and really enjoyed our time. We're definitely leaning that way at this point.

Arizona dry heat seems more our style.

Both of them have very nice homes in the $400k-$500k range, although again, the Trilogy homes seem nicer with higher-end amenities.

We have a lake condo in Missouri, and the plan is to spend 7-8 months in either AZ or FL, and 4-5 months (in the summer) at the lake. If you're going to own just one house year-round, you really need to test out summers in both places.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I have a friend who spends fall/winter in Arizona and speaks highly of the active-adult community she moved into near Phoenix a few years ago. I have sent a message asking the name and will let you know when I hear back.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Look at Sun City and Sun City Grand and Sun City West in West Phoenix suburbs . All three are nice but each has different style homes. There is also Sun City Anthem way south near Florence. There are also several other communities in that area by Chandler and on down to Tucson.

But beware it is really hot here in the summer.

Good luck
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

For places like these "active" communities, what is the "Plan B" for when someone needs assistance?

Are there "linked" assisted living facilities or CCRC's or does one need to start anew?

There are facilities near us (not quite full CCRC's, but with the full spectrum of care), but the "independent living" areas aren't what I would call "Activity-focused". It's more like any other "small cottage community" or "condo living".
I'd also think the average entry age is older, so the "activities" wouldn't be such a prime feature, but I could easily be wrong about that.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
hawkfan55

Post by hawkfan55 »

HomerJ, thanks for your reply. We're just getting started looking at Active Retirement Communities and have visited The Villages in Florida. We were impressed how nicely landscaped and organized The Villages were. Seemed really nice. We think the gulf side of Florida might suit us better than the Atlantic side. Lakewood Ranch near Sarasota, The Naples/Bonita Springs area seems to have some nice active adult communities as well.

In Arizona, Encanterra was on our list to visit. Also near Phoenix, Wickenberg Ranch, Tonto Verde, River Verde, The Sun City Communities, Robson Ranch, Pebble Creek, Trilogy at Vistancia, Province, CantaMia.
We have a lake condo in Missouri, and the plan is to spend 7-8 months in either AZ or FL, and 4-5 months (in the summer) at the lake. If you're going to own just one house year-round, you really need to test out summers in both places.
Your situation seems ideal. We're just not sure we can afford to have two homes in retirement. Perhaps a couple townhomes or small homes, one in the south and one in the Midwest? We want to visit Florida and Arizona this coming summer to see how hot it is. The Midwest can be really hot also, high humidity with temps in the 90-100 range. I think a dry heat might be more comfortable.

GerryL, btenny, thank you for your thoughts. We will consider your recommendations.
For places like these "active" communities, what is the "Plan B" for when someone needs assistance?
ResearchMed, I would imagine when someone needs continuing care, there would be a number of CCRCs options available nearby. Hopefully, that is twenty or thirty years down the road. In the meantime, we're looking forward to spending time being active in warm weather and enjoying life 8-)

Another benefit, in addition to being able to enjoy outside pursuits year round while avoiding cold, snowy weather, would be lower state taxes on retirement account withdrawals and pensions! :happy
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

hawkfan55 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:10 pm HomerJ, thanks for your reply. We're just getting started looking at Active Retirement Communities and have visited The Villages in Florida. We were impressed how nicely landscaped and organized The Villages were. Seemed really nice. We think the gulf side of Florida might suit us better than the Atlantic side. Lakewood Ranch near Sarasota, The Naples/Bonita Springs area seems to have some nice active adult communities as well.

In Arizona, Encanterra was on our list to visit. Also near Phoenix, Wickenberg Ranch, Tonto Verde, River Verde, The Sun City Communities, Robson Ranch, Pebble Creek, Trilogy at Vistancia, Province, CantaMia.
Your situation seems ideal. We're just not sure we can afford to have two homes in retirement. Perhaps a couple townhomes or small homes, one in the south and one in the Midwest? We want to visit Florida and Arizona this coming summer to see how hot it is. The Midwest can be really hot also, high humidity with temps in the 90-100 range. I think a dry heat might be more comfortable.

GerryL, btenny, thank you for your thoughts. We will consider your recommendations.
ResearchMed, I would imagine when someone needs continuing care, there would be a number of CCRCs options available nearby. Hopefully, that is twenty or thirty years down the road. In the meantime, we're looking forward to spending time being active in warm weather and enjoying life 8-)

Another benefit, in addition to being able to enjoy outside pursuits year round while avoiding cold, snowy weather, would be lower state taxes on retirement account withdrawals and pensions! :happy
One "problem" with some (most?) CCRC's is that one should be reasonably healthy at entry.
This probably varies, but it's the case at least a lot of times near us.
Waiting until help is required might restrict the choices.
There are other places to go, of course, but not with guaranteed care the way a CCRC usually operates.

What I have *not* stumbled across, yet, in our searches, is something like a CCRC with a "very active" early stage.
That would seem to be ideal for many.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:23 pm
hawkfan55 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:10 pm
One "problem" with some (most?) CCRC's is that one should be reasonably healthy at entry.
This probably varies, but it's the case at least a lot of times near us.
Waiting until help is required might restrict the choices.
There are other places to go, of course, but not with guaranteed care the way a CCRC usually operates.

What I have *not* stumbled across, yet, in our searches, is something like a CCRC with a "very active" early stage.
That would seem to be ideal for many.

RM
The financial model for CCRCs REQUIRES that you be healthy going in. If not, they won't take you. So likely you'll go in before you need the higher level of care. In my searches in New England, I too have not seen the combination of a CCRC with lots of active things to do. But you may find enough activities in the general community.
brandy

Post by brandy »

A friend is having a house built in Academy Village, http://theacademyvillage.com/ southeast of Tucson.
You mention dry heat. Be aware there is a monsoon season, http://arizonaexperience.org/land/arizo ... oon-season.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

btenny wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:50 pm Look at Sun City and Sun City Grand and Sun City West in West Phoenix suburbs . All three are nice but each has different style homes. There is also Sun City Anthem way south near Florence. There are also several other communities in that area by Chandler and on down to Tucson.

But beware it is really hot here in the summer.

Good luck
My parents have lived in Sun City Grand for about 15 years and I have visited many times. It is top notch and they are very happy there. If you understand the culture and community and want that lifestyle it is great.

You have have to like the life style though. My wife doesn’t like it all. It kind of has the feel of a cliquish high school. I am only lukewarm to it.....
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

GerryL wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:29 pm I have a friend who spends fall/winter in Arizona and speaks highly of the active-adult community she moved into near Phoenix a few years ago. I have sent a message asking the name and will let you know when I hear back.
Heard back from my friend today. Here are her comments:
We live in Sun City West. It is one of many active adult communities in Arizona. If you are bored here, something is wrong. They have something for everyone.
KCinBAMA

Post by KCinBAMA »

We plan to retire at Sun City Center in Florida (near Tampa). There are some housing options at your price range but most are considerably below that amount. Also, Freedom Plaza at Sun City Center is a CCRC that has their own clubs and activities but can also use the active retirement community resources of Sun City Center.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

We have lived in Phoenix for 35 years. It is seven months of incredible weather and five That you have to get used to. Yesterday was 96, much too early for that. That being said we don't have weather issues (tornados, etc), but as a previous poster said we do have a rainy season. We are retired so we now leave for that five months for Bend Oregon where we have a second home.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Is anyone familiar with Mesquite, Nevada for retirement communities, or other retirement communities in that State? I only bring this up because the title of the thread doesn't specify the State. The property taxes are based on 35% of assessed value, at a maximum of 3%. This effectively locks the maximum percentage of property taxes at 1% of the full assessment, with most being far below that, depending on locality. Nevada doesn't have a State tax, or any taxes on SS or retirement income either.

The home prices in Mesquite, Nevada are attractive, as is the proximity to Saint George Utah and Zion National Park.

As far as overall taxation, I found this Kiplinger site to have some good basic information for every State. https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retireme ... /index.php
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Marmot wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:54 am We have lived in Phoenix for 35 years. It is seven months of incredible weather and five That you have to get used to. Yesterday was 96, much too early for that. That being said we don't have weather issues (tornados, etc), but as a previous poster said we do have a rainy season. We are retired so we now leave for that five months for Bend Oregon where we have a second home.
But our "rainy season" usually consists of approximately three evening downpours spread over two to three months. Daytime rain is so rare as to be memorable. I have lived in my west valley active adult retirement community for 25 years and I think it's paradise. Not one thing to complain about, except dearth of good restaurants in the area, but that no longer affects me, anyway.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Last year my grandparents moved out of Buttonwood Bay near Sebring in central Florida to be closer to family as their health declines. But they lived there for over 25 years and really liked the location.

Since it is roughly in the center of the panhandle, it doesn't get as much traffic as the coasts. It also doesn't get the full brunt of the hurricanes. It had all the requirements that you mentioned. Since there are literally dozens of others in the same area, my advice would be to plan a trip and travel among them. That is how my grandparents found it 25 years ago.
seligsoj

Post by seligsoj »

The trilology community in Arizona looks amazing...I'm 40 and I'd love to move in :)
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Continuous care retirement communities are nicely explained in Jane Bryant Quinn's recent book, How to Make Your Money Last, beginning pg. 277. And yes, good health is a requirement to get in.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

retiringwhen wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:28 pm
My parents have lived in Sun City Grand for about 15 years and I have visited many times. It is top notch and they are very happy there. If you understand the culture and community and want that lifestyle it is great.

You have have to like the life style though. My wife doesn’t like it all. It kind of has the feel of a cliquish high school. I am only lukewarm to it.....
No kidding. I also am not crazy about such a culture.
jdb

Post by jdb »

btenny wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:50 pm

I agree with your wife, glad I am not the only one thinking retirement communities are like reliving high school horrors. Visited widowed sister in Phoenix area retirement community, everyone was nice but I had eerie feeling they were trying to relive their high school years. Though some people loved high school. Not for me. Good luck.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

jdb wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:58 pm

I agree with your wife, glad I am not the only one thinking retirement communities are like reliving high school horrors. Visited widowed sister in Phoenix area retirement community, everyone was nice but I had eerie feeling they were trying to relive their high school years. Though some people loved high school. Not for me. Good luck.
I don't know, I've heard that Del Boca Vista Phase 3 is pretty good. I hear they have an opening for President of the HOA. :D

Seriously, my wife and I aren't big socializers anyway. A visit from the Welcome Wagon would result in a polite smile and a thank you. Not big on cliques, so they don't affect us. Then again, we weren't that popular in high school. We try not to jump to any conclusions, and expect the same from others.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

It sounds good until you only run into old people, everywhere. Never see anyone young in the community. Kind of a lost land.
I already go to a gym that has a lot of old people. I am 67. If I had to actually live around these poeple, I don't think I could take it. Too cloistered.
I like seeing the kids play on the street in my neighborhood.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

HomerJ wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 pm

I have heard of The Villages but have never been there. Sounds like a wild place if half this stuff is true (and this is just a sampling):

https://nypost.com/2009/01/25/retire-to-the-bedroom/
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/flor ... story.html
http://www.mysuncoast.com/health/sexual ... f5ff3.html
https://www.lakeandsumterstyle.com/the- ... -villages/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... oyboy.html

Not for me, thank you.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

jdb wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:58 pm

In a large senior community, just like in a large high school, there may be cliques, but no clique can dominate so many people, and there are enough like-minded people for everybody to form a clique with. We generally call them "friends".

Other than that reality of any community, I don't see much similarity with high school in my very large active senior community. If I'd compare it to anything previously experienced, I'd say it's like an ultra-luxurious sleep-away camp. But certainly, it may not be an environment that everybody favors. Some people like to hear the teenagers next door shooting hoops or revving their engines until the wee small hours,as I endured in my previous home. To each . . . .
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

hawkfan55 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:54 pm I am looking for suggestions from Bogleheads as to nice Active Adult Retirement Communities in Florida and Arizona that we might want to consider? We enjoy golf, walking, bicycling, pickleball, and socializing. We want to keep our housing expense under $500k. Thank you.
Wickenberg Ranch is nice, but to keep costs under $500K, you probably won't be able to move into a larger model. The models are beautiful (naturally) and the upgrades could add up quickly. Part of the community is set aside for 55+ residents.

Before you choose a community, be sure to find out upfront what the HOA costs are - usually a lump sum amount at time of closing in addition to monthly or annual dues.
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

munemaker wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 pm

I have heard of The Villages but have never been there. Sounds like a wild place if half this stuff is true (and this is just a sampling):

Not for me, thank you.
Similar stories exist in Arizona's Sun City - there are reasons it's known as the original "active" adult community.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Another choice west of Tampa in Pinellas Co. is Highlands Lake. Not a big as The Villages, but decent golf course and plenty of activities. My parents moved there from Long Island and made many new friends with similar interests. You can buy a typical single story Florida home for low 200K. Beach is about 15 minutes but far enough inland and high enough to be out of immediate storm surge for hurricanes. It's hot, humid and buggy in the summer but close enough to Gulf Coast to get onshore breezes.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Not for me, thank you.
Apparently it is huge and lots of activities. I think they even have an on-site Fidelity Investment center. Very busy with activity.

I heard that women who are available for “fun” wear a certain type/color shoe to indicate their ... status.
CULater

Post by CULater »

Many years coming to Sun City area in winters and also lived and worked in Phoenix for awhile several years ago. Retired now, and from the Midwest. I've never been able to get into the retirement community thing, and I pretty much hate the size of Phoenix metro and traffic and people everywhere. My impression of Sun City, West, and Grand are that these are massive social clubs. If you're an extravert and enjoy spending all your time in the pursuit of groupness these places are great. It also helps if you have a few bucks and enjoy showing that off in the home you live in, how you dress, the car you drive, and the people you like to hang out with. Skill making empty small talk also goes a long way. At least these are my impressions from many years of being around here. I've never been able to feel like it's "me". Figure to be heading back to the Midwest once and for all. Anyone contemplating becoming a transplant in retirement might want to consider leasing a place in the community you're interested in to see if it's "you." There are tons of rentals available everywhere.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
thelimocat

Post by thelimocat »

hawkfan55 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:54 pm I am looking for suggestions from Bogleheads as to nice Active Adult Retirement Communities in Florida and Arizona that we might want to consider? We enjoy golf, walking, bicycling, pickleball, and socializing. We want to keep our housing expense under $500k. Thank you.
Would you consider Texas. Sun City Texas just north of Austin. The place gives you all that the other Sun Cities have with no state income tax, reasonable property tax and all the cranky opinionated old people. HOAs are 1100 and they have rules rules rules. Health care is good but they can't match the independent and assisted living cost that AZ has when you need them. Then again Sun City West, Grand et al are very hard to pass up having spent time there. Fl insurance cost might surprise you as well.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

If your considering Florida check out Islandwalk in Venice. Venice is on the Gulf Coast and near Sarasota with its culture, beaches and restaurants. Islandwalk has tennis, pickleball, massive resort-style pool, lap pool, activity center, etc. Nice modest sized homes start at $250-$300k. It's sunny there most every day of the year. Check it out:

https://www.55places.com/florida/commun ... t-villages
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

DesertDiva wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Not for me, thank you.
Similar stories exist in Arizona's Sun City - there are reasons it's known as the original "active" adult community.
Before reading this thread, the only thing I had ever heard about these places was the wild amounts of sex and partner swapping.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

JBTX wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Not for me, thank you.
Apparently it is huge and lots of activities. I think they even have an on-site Fidelity Investment center. Very busy with activity.

I heard that women who are available for “fun” wear a certain type/color shoe to indicate their ... status.
haha! Yes. Found this on a google search:
...sticking a loofah on your cart antenna signifies you're into swinging. So does wearing a crimson button. According to multiple people, wearing gold shoes or letting your shirt tag stick out in the back signals you're on the prowl.
reference: https://groupthink.kinja.com/the-villag ... 1633821395
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

munemaker wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 am

Not for me, thank you.

...sticking a loofah on your cart antenna signifies you're into swinging. So does wearing a crimson button. According to multiple people, wearing gold shoes or letting your shirt tag stick out in the back signals you're on the prowl.
No words.....

But who am I to judge?
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

JBTX wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 am
munemaker wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 am

Not for me, thank you.

No words.....

But who am I to judge?
Leave it to the Baby Boomers who say "I just wanna have fun" lol
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

We own a home in "The Villages." It is a very large community covering now like 5 zip codes. Like any large city, there are all kinds of people. I have never run into a "swinger," but I am sure they exist. There are also multiple churches, political clubs on both sides, etc. It is large enough, and well organized enough, that anything you are interested in, you can find people of like interests. We love it, but only get to spend 2-4 weeks there per year currently.

gasdoc
Topic Author
hawkfan55

Post by hawkfan55 »

I appreciate everyone's ideas, recommendations and thoughts. Again, we did visit The Villages in Florida and found it to be very nice! Del Webb's Sun Cities have also experienced lots of success. Robson Communities also seem very nice. With their success over the years, lots of people love the active adult lifestyle and are buying into it.

I did find a great website full of information on 55+ Golf Communities in Arizona, https://www.golfat55.com/. There is a lot of information on the web about communities in Florida.

Like anything, I suppose you have people who love, hate, are ambivalent, or just don't care about living in these type of communities. We are looking forward to beginning our search for our next adventure! Thank you to those who have replied 8-)
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

hawkfan55 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am I appreciate everyone's ideas, recommendations and thoughts. Again, we did visit The Villages in Florida and found it to be very nice! Del Webb's Sun Cities have also experienced lots of success. Robson Communities also seem very nice. With their success over the years, lots of people love the active adult lifestyle and are buying into it.

I did find a great website full of information on 55+ Golf Communities in Arizona, https://www.golfat55.com/. There is a lot of information on the web about communities in Florida.

Like anything, I suppose you have people who love, hate, are ambivalent, or just don't care about living in these type of communities. We are looking forward to beginning our search for our next adventure! Thank you to those who have replied 8-)
What did you decide to do and are you happy with your decision?
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

Marmot wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:54 am We have lived in Phoenix for 35 years. It is seven months of incredible weather and five That you have to get used to. Yesterday was 96, much too early for that. That being said we don't have weather issues (tornados, etc), but as a previous poster said we do have a rainy season. We are retired so we now leave for that five months for Bend Oregon where we have a second home.
Are you happy with this set-up? Any downsides?
Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug »

We are in AZ, about 30-miles north of Tucson. SaddleBrooke is approximately 5000 homes, 10,000 people. Golf, tennis, pickleball, etc. We are at a 3200 foot elevation, so we don't get the Phoenix heat. We stay about 10-degrees cooler in the summer months.
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

HomerJ wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 pm The two we've visited so far are:

The Villages was huge, like 100,000 people... If you like sports, that seems to be an incredible place. They have clubs for everything, and all skill levels. That's the best part about it. If you want to try a new sport, they have a beginner's club, all the way up to expert. I think they have like 15 softball leagues in the winter... Not 15 teams, 15 LEAGUES.

But my wife and I are not really sold on Florida. Too humid, too buggy. The Villages is still a good possibility though. We have some friends who live there, and they love it.

The Arizona community was much smaller (I think they are building out to 5000 people), but they still have a ton of clubs and activities, and the homes and the clubhouse there are really high-end. We stayed there for a weekend, and really enjoyed our time. We're definitely leaning that way at this point.

Both of them have very nice homes in the $400k-$500k range, although again, the Trilogy homes seem nicer with higher-end amenities.

Did you ever make a decision? I like the Trilogy communities, Encanterra and Verde River are my current front runners, so I'd be curious to hear the opinion of someone who lives in one of those communities. Thanks!
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

CrazyCatLady wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:34 am

Did you ever make a decision? I like the Trilogy communities, Encanterra and Verde River are my current front runners, so I'd be curious to hear the opinion of someone who lives in one of those communities. Thanks!
We liked Encanterra but ruled it out because it is not in Maricopa County. I buy health insurance through the exchange, so the County is important. We liked the Trilogy community in Wickenburg but ruled it out for the same reason.
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

Hayden wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:12 am
CrazyCatLady wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:34 am

We liked Encanterra but ruled it out because it is not in Maricopa County. I buy health insurance through the exchange, so the County is important. We liked the Trilogy community in Wickenburg but ruled it out for the same reason.
That's good to know, thanks. I will probably be moving there full-time at 60, so the exchange would be a consideration (assuming the ACA is available). I looked at Wickenburg online, but it seemed too far out (and a little too "western" designed for me). Of course, part of it may be that I'm an East Valley person. I occasionally think about Surprise because I like the ballpark, but I just don't want to live West Valley.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

They had a thing on NYT podcast about the villages and a couple of other places. Apparently in some places if you don't profess the preferred political affiliation you are pretty much outcast.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Cactuscoug wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:06 am We are in AZ, about 30-miles north of Tucson. SaddleBrooke is approximately 5000 homes, 10,000 people. Golf, tennis, pickleball, etc. We are at a 3200 foot elevation, so we don't get the Phoenix heat. We stay about 10-degrees cooler in the summer months.
Here's an article from 55Places comparing The Triolgies to Saddlebrook.
https://www.55places.com/blog/trilogy-a ... -community
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

JBTX wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:24 pm They had a thing on NYT podcast about the villages and a couple of other places. Apparently in some places if you don't profess the preferred political affiliation you are pretty much outcast.
Just as long as you don't pursue "adult entertainment" at an "Active Adult" community you'll be just fine... (Sorry couldn't result... as long as we're talking about "adults"!!!)

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

Cactuscoug wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:06 am We are in AZ, about 30-miles north of Tucson. SaddleBrooke is approximately 5000 homes, 10,000 people. Golf, tennis, pickleball, etc. We are at a 3200 foot elevation, so we don't get the Phoenix heat. We stay about 10-degrees cooler in the summer months.
How is nearby healthcare? With the higher elevation are the summers tolerable? We are thinking about SaddleBrooke. Thanks.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
tj

Post by tj »

sergeant wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:25 pm
How is nearby healthcare? With the higher elevation are the summers tolerable? We are thinking about SaddleBrooke. Thanks.

I would worry about feeling isolated. It doesn't sound like there's much around. Is it 30 miles to downtown Tucson or the outskirts of Tucson ?
Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug »

sergeant wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:25 pm
Oro Valley Hospital is about 10-minutes away. Many doctors are converting to concierge care, but there are others that aren't. We find the cooler summers tolerable. I think our high temperature this past summer was 107. PHX was 120! We don't think we could do Phoenix! For travel, the Tucson airport is 50-minutes away; PHX is 1-1/2 hours.
Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug »

I would worry about feeling isolated. It doesn't sound like there's much around. Is it 30 miles to downtown Tucson or the outskirts of Tucson ?
[/quote]

25-miles to downtown Tucson and the University. In SaddleBrooke, there are 10,000 people, five restaurants, and lots of amenities. The small town of Catalina is just outside the gate. The larger town of Oro Valley is 15-minutes away. We never feel isolated.