Amended return forgotten direct rollover with no tax liability change

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
terran

Amended return forgotten direct rollover with no tax liability change

Post by terran » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks to another thread I realized it didn't occur to me to account for the direct trustee-to-trustee transfer my wife made of her 403(b) from her old employer's plan to her new employer's plan in 2017. I just checked at her old record keeper''s website and there are indeed a couple of 1099R's sitting there (one for the employee contributions, the other for employer contributions). Both show the amount transferred in box 1, $0 taxable in box 2, and code G in box 7 as they should, so there is no change in tax liability because of this. The amounts are somewhat substantial, but since this was a transfer from one 403(b) to another none of it is taxable.

Should I be filing an amended return to reflect my mistake despite no change in our tax liability? If so, looking at form 1040X I see that there's no equivalent to form 1040 line 16a (where it's my understanding I should have entered this), so everything in columns A and C (original and correct amount) will be the same, and Column B (net change) will be 0, so I suppose the only purpose of filing the 1040X would be so I could include a statement in part III? Is there anything else I should be filing with this? The 1099R's I suppose?

Thanks!