IRS free fillable form: confirmation of scheduled withdrawal?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Pluto9th

IRS free fillable form: confirmation of scheduled withdrawal?

Post by Pluto9th » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:05 am

At the end of e-filing of fed tax using free fillable form, I picked the option of having the balance due drawn from a checking account on 14 Apr, but did not print out/screen-capture the page when it was done, assuming that the info would be included in the filing summary. It wasn't. Is there a way to find out whether the withdrawal is indeed scheduled (sort of like the counterpart of "where's my refund" function)? Waiting until the withdrawal date (or the following business day) to check my bank account might not leave enough time to correct the problem if the scheduled withdrawal wasn't set up correctly. Thanks!

luminous

Re: IRS free fillable form: confirmation of scheduled withdrawal?

Post by luminous » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:00 am

I don’t know of a way to double check, sorry. I assume you logged in again to see if the date shows up anywhere in the interface now.

For what it is worth, I’ve been filing my federal taxes with IRS free fillable forms for years and when I owe the money alway is withdrawn on schedule. And of course I also choose to have them withdraw on the last possible day.
Last edited by luminous on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2026.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:47 am

Long shot here -- try checking the "where's my refund" tab on the IRS website? It might actually tell you that the payment is scheduled??

student

Post by student » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:23 am

I used TaxCut and the IRS withdrew the money on the date that I picked.

Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks for the replies. I checked my efile status on the IRS site and it just said that the return has been accepted, be sure to pay before the deadline if there is any tax due, and refund info can be found at ... Alas Get Refund Status is not set up for a dual-purpose check - it requires the expected refund amount, and won't accept a negative (or zero) amount.

Wait - I found this page https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes- ... withdrawal and called the number listed. They verified that I did have the withdrawal set up for that day. So all's well.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:39 am

While one can wait until the very last day to pay bills to squeeze out that miniscule interest (my Depression-era Dad did that)... I have found that I sleep better planning for time to recover from errors, should anything you don't know about go wrong. Consider scheduling IRS payments the first week of April, and sleep better knowing you are fine either way (goes on time, or time to fix).
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Pluto9th

Post by Pluto9th » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:56 am

By paying on 14th of April instead of 7th, I'm saving ... ~15¢ in interest :P

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:13 am

I always just pay on the irs website once I calculate what I owe. This year came within $1200 but rounded up to $1500 in case my numbers change a little when I double check.

Figure the interest on $1200 out of my checking account for 1 month and $300 until I get return is something like $0.25 or less (followed by -33% tax on that) and like another poster said, ease of mind is worth the cost.

Limited options but put this as ‘paid when file return/extension’ even though it is paid 1 month ahead. Since IRS pay have limited drop down boxes for 2017. I’m sure any differences in this verbiage won’t matter in an audit so long as I paid.