Any reason to not file significant other as dependent

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jibantik

Any reason to not file significant other as dependent

Post by jibantik » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:13 pm

I am contemplating filing my significant other as a dependent. We are not married as of yet, and they seem to qualify, as far as I can tell (income, not claimed a dependent for anyone else, shared house, etc.).

I am just wondering if there is any reason why we should not do this. Is there anything that could happen in the future that would make this a bad decision?

Thanks.

JBTX

Re: Any reason to not file significant other as dependent

Post by JBTX » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:27 pm

jibantik wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:13 pm
I am contemplating filing my significant other as a dependent. We are not married as of yet, and they seem to qualify, as far as I can tell (income, not claimed a dependent for anyone else, shared house, etc.).

I am just wondering if there is any reason why we should not do this. Is there anything that could happen in the future that would make this a bad decision?

Thanks.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/turbotax.i ... /L12RRXt6j

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 pm

I suppose if your SO truly qualify as a qualifying relative, why not? I can't really think of anything that would come back to haunt you. It would get you an extra exemption (at least for 2017).

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

If the OP's SO meets all criteria to be claimed by him as a dependent, by all means do so.

There is no downside unless it is not true.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

jibantik wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks.
Who's the "they"? Do you have more than ONE significant other? :confused Or does your significant other have kids? Does your significant other make less than $4050? If so, why? Any plans for that to change this year?

Assuming you provide more than 50% of her living costs.

If all conditions met, then definitely go for it.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Topic Author
jibantik

Post by jibantik » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:32 pm

PatrickA5 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 pm
I suppose if your SO truly qualify as a qualifying relative, why not? I can't really think of anything that would come back to haunt you. It would get you an extra exemption (at least for 2017).
Not relative, but apparently they don't need to be a relative.
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm
Who's the "they"? Do you have more than ONE significant other? :confused Or does your significant other have kids? Does your significant other make less than $4050? If so, why? Any plans for that to change this year?

Heh, sorry, just have gotten used to referring to people as 'they', whether it is one or more. Though I think it is grammatically valid...

This year, in 2018, yes they will make more than that threshold, so I would only file them as a dependent for 2017.

Sounds like I should do it, tax breaks here I come baby :mrgreen:

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:09 pm

I tried this once. But then she got a job and ruined it.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:29 am

jibantik wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:32 pm
PatrickA5 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 pm
Not relative, but apparently they don't need to be a relative.
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

Heh, sorry, just have gotten used to referring to people as 'they', whether it is one or more. Though I think it is grammatically valid...

This year, in 2018, yes they will make more than that threshold, so I would only file them as a dependent for 2017.

Sounds like I should do it, tax breaks here I come baby :mrgreen:
True, a Qualifying Relative doesn't have to be an actual relative. It can be an unrelated person.