Credit freeze and annual internet provider changes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
finance_learner

Credit freeze and annual internet provider changes

Post by finance_learner » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:26 am

Hello,

I'm finally getting around to doing credit freezes at the big 3. But there is at least 1 circumstance in which annually we would need a credit inquiry: switching ISPs (internet providers). Our region has two ISPs (Comcast and Centurylink). The plan is to alternate between the 2 ISPs every year between my wife and I in order to take advantage of their annual offers. Does that mean that I will need to unfreeze my credit every year?

Thanks!

lakpr

Re: Credit freeze and annual internet provider changes

Post by lakpr » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:56 am

Comcast has an option, at least here in NJ, where you can deposit $150 to avoid credit check. My reports aren’t frozen but I declined credit check authorization and opted for the deposit.

It will be returned to you or applied towards the bill after six months of on time payments.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:37 am

I switched from Centurylink to Comcast with frozen credit and did not need to unfreeze my credit at all. I bought my own modem, signed up with auto pay to a credit card so there was never any discussion of credit.

I would never go back to CL as they are vastly slower speeds with fees and taxes amounting to almost 1/2 the bill. They are also continuing to charge me for long distance service $2.00 per month several months after my service was canceled.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

finance_learner

Post by finance_learner » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:40 pm

Thank you both! It turns out I can prepay for Comcast by one month to get them not to pull my credit. So that works!