$35/month for washer dryer rental?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
B4Xt3r

$35/month for washer dryer rental?

Post by B4Xt3r » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi All,

I've got an apartment lease coming up that that I intend to stay at for ~3 years who are offering a washer dryer rental for $35/month, which I think is kind of high. Do you think that $35/month is a reasonable cost?

I am wondering if I should just purchase my own washer/dryer in-unit. For example, let's say that I bought a really expensive washer dryer from speed queen for $2600 that "supposed" to last ~25 years. That is a cost of ~$9/month. Am I thinking this through?

Thanks!

Olemiss540

Re: $35/month for washer dryer rental?

Post by Olemiss540 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:30 pm
Hi All,

I've got an apartment lease coming up that that I intend to stay at for ~3 years who are offering a washer dryer rental for $35/month, which I think is kind of high. Do you think that $35/month is a reasonable cost?

I am wondering if I should just purchase my own washer/dryer in-unit. For example, let's say that I bought a really expensive washer dryer from speed queen for $2600 that "supposed" to last ~25 years. That is a cost of ~$9/month. Am I thinking this through?

Thanks!
Or a used washer and dryer for 150 bucks. 1000 dollars to lease equipment for 3 years? Nope.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:37 pm

A washing machine probably won't actually last for 25 years. You would probably want a new one before then even if it did. There have been significant improvements in efficiency in the last 25 years, for instance.

Since it is an apartment and you will probably be moving and owning a washer is a bit of a commitment (initial cost and ongoing maintenance and expensive or troublesome to move), I think you are comparing the rental option to the wrong thing. Is there a laundry room on site? Is there a decent laundromat nearby? How much does wash & fold service cost per pound where you live? Is there a cheaper way to rent a washer? Those are more probably what you should be comparing the rental to.

(Buying a used one as suggested above is also a good idea IF you can be reasonably assured that it is not a lemon and will be reliable.)
Last edited by Pajamas on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks!
Are you sure you can do that?

I would, though, just aim for ones that will last the three years with a high probability.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks!
35/mo x 36 months = 1,260.

Over under washer dryer units are expensive. 1000+
Side by side units can be basic and a bit less for what you are getting.
Of either used for much less.
After buying and using for 3 years. . .
Sell on Craig's List when you leave to recoup some of your money.

The advantage of $35/mo is if they need repair and "hopefully" all repairs are included. And if you aren't going to take the units with you when you move. And if you don't want to hassle with worrying about the machines at all. And, if your departure could happen sooner and you have to leave quickly.

Buy if you are going to take the units to wherever you live next.
But, what if your next rental unit already has machines?
j :D

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:39 pm

How much convenience do you want and how long do you want to keep a washer/dryer?

You could rent and be done with it after 3 years. Repairs are covered and if it stops working you tell them to bring in a different one. Very convenient.

You could buy used appliances for maybe $75-100 each. You might not be able to find a set and you'd have to move them into your apartment.

You could buy low cost appliances from an appliance store and sell them when you move out. Some appliance stores also resell used appliances.

You could buy nicer, more expensive appliances and take them with you when you move. I would not buy expensive appliances and then plan to resell them.

Your call.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Some apartments may have very specific space requirements that might limit the choices. Check that out as well.

Maybe (check lease, etc,) if you leave after 3 years and the units are still good - the new tenant might want to buy them?

Impromptu

Post by Impromptu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Many washers and dryers have the same or similar internal mechanisms. There are many places that repair and refurbish washers and dryers. I bought one that even offered a 5 year warranty, which I used once. They were out the next day and replaced the part. I guess if you refurbish them, you probably use the same parts in all of them, which makes repairs very easy. I have been using this washer and dryer for 12 years. 6 years as a bachelor, 6 years married, and through 3 moves. The $300 for both of them has paid off, $2.08/month plus energy and water costs.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:46 pm

You could buy nicer, more expensive appliances and take them with you when you move. I would not buy expensive appliances and then plan to resell them.
I suspect that there will or might be a non-trivial cost in moving them and installing.

The other factor for a dryer is that you may have a gas dryer and the next place requires an electric one or the other way around. I would target buying new at a modest cost - for ones that will last three plus years.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:50 pm

I'd be more likely to rent at $35 a month if the space requires a stacked washer/dryer or you want one of those side loading washers. Individual dryers and individual top loading washers are much easer to move because they a smaller and weigh less.

In the last 18 months, I've bought two used washer dryer sets. Both sets have individual top loading washers because a side loading one can weigh 250+ pounds. A stacked combo will weigh about that much too.

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:56 pm

This is more towards 1 year renters (probably most people) as compare $400 to buying a pair.

I bought a set for my apartment (they had a similar deal). Cost me $250 and sold a year later for $200. Had to buy a dryer hose and electric cord ($30). Had a friend help carry and moved them in my truck at the time.

Cheaper to just do laundry machines on the property but was worth the $80+utilities for the convienece.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:11 pm

BanquetBeer wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:56 pm
This is more towards 1 year renters (probably most people) as compare $400 to buying a pair.
I bought a set for my apartment (they had a similar deal). Cost me $250 and sold a year later for $200. Had to buy a dryer hose and electric cord ($30). Had a friend help carry and moved them in my truck at the time.
Cheaper to just do laundry machines on the property but was worth the $80+utilities for the convienece.
Been a long time since renting an apartment - with laundry room (coin washers and dryers). From what I understand from those who are current apartment renters, the trend is to not have these laundry rooms - and have washer/dryer units in each apartment - often the space saving stacked units. This "trend" might also be a regional thing as well.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:15 pm

I would suggest contacting a local refurbished company.

There are plenty of people who by broken units and fix them then sell. Sometimes they come with say a 3 month warranty as well or even longerl.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:17 pm

N10sive wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:15 pm
I would suggest contacting a local refurbished company.
There are plenty of people who by broken units and fix them then sell. Sometimes they come with say a 3 month warranty as well or even longerl.
Because ot the potential cost and hassle of moving units in and out, I would leans towards new units.

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:25 pm

How far is the nearest river to the apartment? Washing in the river and then drying your clothing on the rocks is GREAT! Now, seriously, the last time I saw this type of evolution was about four years ago in the amazonian jungle in Ecuador, where life is really fun. Gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

Hillview

Post by Hillview » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:30 pm

How much laundry do you do? Fluff and fold services are low cost for a single person. We do a load a day so YMMV. After you stop renting will you need a washer and dryer?

B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:13 pm

I suppose that I should mention that I plan to buy a house after this. When one buys a house, how safe is it to assume that it will not come with a washer/dryer?

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:20 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:13 pm
I suppose that I should mention that I plan to buy a house after this. When one buys a house, how safe is it to assume that it will not come with a washer/dryer?
Various by location. Suggest you look at MLS (multiple listing service, usually available on-line) for houses like you might consider, and see what the trend is where you are. If sellers are moving a significant distance, or their machines are "older" they very well might leave them.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:22 pm

First you need to find out if the apartment owner will let you install your own washer and dryer. They may not.
If they do, that is probably the route I would take (assuming the apartment has space for units you would find useful in the future).

If not. You have to decide if $35/month is worth the convenience. Or look at it another way, would you be willing to rend the same apartment for $35 more a month if it came with washer and dryer?

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:25 pm

When I bought my house it did not have washer dryer or fridge. When I sell my house I'm hoping to leave them all with the house. They are a pain to move . . .

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:21 pm

Huge rip off.
Last edited by denovo on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:35 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks!

You can buy a used old school Kenmore washer and dryer for 100-200 set all day long.A refurb vendor will deliver and set them up for about 250 - 350 a set.These may not be energy efficient but they are easy to operate( still have knobs), are very reliable and since they have an agitator and will still fill with hot water (unlike the new HE washers) they will still get clothes very clean.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:39 pm

I think everybody is missing the point. The landlord wants to make an additional $35 a month from the apartment. If he doesn’t take their washer and dryer the landlord will just raise the rent an additional amount to make up for it next year.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Goal33 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:39 pm
I think everybody is missing the point. The landlord wants to make an additional $35 a month from the apartment. If he doesn’t take their washer and dryer the landlord will just raise the rent an additional amount to make up for it next year.

So it seems like a wash either way .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRs0OqV4uSc

macheta

Post by macheta » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:37 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:

Or a used washer and dryer for 150 bucks. 1000 dollars to lease equipment for 3 years? Nope.
This is what I would have done while renting.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:23 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Since it is an apartment and you will probably be moving and owning a washer is a bit of a commitment (initial cost and ongoing maintenance and expensive or troublesome to move),
What regular maintenance do you do on your washer/dryer besides cleaning the lint trap on the dryer?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:26 pm

denovo wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:23 pm
Pajamas wrote:

Since it is an apartment and you will probably be moving and owning a washer is a bit of a commitment (initial cost and ongoing maintenance and expensive or troublesome to move),
What regular maintenance do you do on your washer/dryer besides cleaning the lint trap on the dryer?
Ongoing, not regular maintenance, i.e., repairs. I don't own either a washer or a dryer.

Some washers do need to be cleaned to prevent mold or foul odors.
You should also clean the entire dryer vent on a regular basis, not just the lint trap, it's a major source of fires.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:35 am

denovo wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:21 pm
Huge rip off.
Not necessarily.. I suspect this $35 is "profitable", but there does exist a degree of costs and risks for the landlord.

gd

Post by gd » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 am

Don't buy a used washer/dryer for anything more than a trivial amount you are willing to lose, unless you are quite sure of what you are doing-- including from local dealers, unless they offer a good warranty. We were living in an expected short-term rental and not wanting to burden myself with something new and expensive, I sent my spouse out to do this. She ended up with a unit they said was 1 year old and I estimated was at least 10. Lasted 3 months. Then bought new low-end at Sears (no longer recommended) for 50% more than they had charged, and we still use it 20 years later.

You're paying for the convenience of renting. Only you can judge what that's worth to you. You may need to essentially give it away when you move.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:06 am

I move a lot for work and I have rented washers and dryers in some apartments before. I have never seen a $35 a month cost, but if it was a short term rental and I was forced to do all the heavy lifting when I moved, I would consider it. There is something convenient about having someone move, install, hook up your appliances, and pick them up when you move out.

The fourth different time I lived in NC, I decided to buy. Affordable rental companies didn't service the town I lived in. What I found is that many big box stores(Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc) will have scratch and dent or customer returns in their store for a decent discount. That is what I went with five years and a couple states ago.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:28 am

One thing that has not been mentioned is a washer leak. If your rental washer leaks, then the damage is the landlords problem. If your washer leaks, then any damages to units below yours, are your problem. Make sure you have good insurance.

Ralph

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:42 am

Pajamas wrote:
A washing machine probably won't actually last for 25 years. You would probably want a new one before then even if it did. There have been significant improvements in efficiency in the last 25 years, for instance.

Since it is an apartment and you will probably be moving and owning a washer is a bit of a commitment (initial cost and ongoing maintenance and expensive or troublesome to move), I think you are comparing the rental option to the wrong thing. Is there a laundry room on site? Is there a decent laundromat nearby? How much does wash & fold service cost per pound where you live? Is there a cheaper way to rent a washer? Those are more probably what you should be comparing the rental to.

(Buying a used one as suggested above is also a good idea IF you can be reasonably assured that it is not a lemon and will be reliable.)
+1.

OP,

I agree with looking at your nearby laundromats before renting/buying the machines in your apartment. I also live in a apartment and I opted to use the laundromat instead of the shared machines in my apartment building. For me these are the advantages of using a laundromat:

1. The machines are much faster and I never have to wait for a machine to become available.
2. If a machine breaks down, it doesn't create an inconvenience for me in the slightest. There are plenty of other machines at the laundromat.
3. I no longer need to go to the bank to get quarters to do my laundry. At the laundromat I can exchange dollars into quarters or purchase tokens with my credit card.

Having the machines inside your apartment is very convenient. However, how much would these machines increase your electric bill and how long do you think it would take to get your machines repaired in case one of them breaks down?

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Just out of curiosity I went to Lowes and found Whirlpool 3.5-cu ft Top-Load Washer $349, and a Whirlpool 7-cu ft Electric Dryer for $349. So lets say $800 including tax, etc. Washers and driers have an average life expectancy of 12 to 14 years. So if the apartment complex buys a washer and drier for $800 and they rent them for $35 per month for say 10 years, their return would be 52% per year, excluding any expenses. If you bought the same washer and drier for $800 and financed the purchase at 8% interest with payment of $35 it would pay off in 25 months. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Abe wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:28 pm
Just out of curiosity I went to Lowes and found Whirlpool 3.5-cu ft Top-Load Washer $349, and a Whirlpool 7-cu ft Electric Dryer for $349. So lets say $800 including tax, etc. Washers and driers have an average life expectancy of 12 to 14 years. So if the apartment complex buys a washer and drier for $800 and they rent them for $35 per month for say 10 years, their return would be 52% per year, excluding any expenses. If you bought the same washer and drier for $800 and financed the purchase at 8% interest with payment of $35 it would pay off in 25 months. :happy
If the machines work perfectly for years and years, then buying is the more sensible arrangement. If on the other hand, the machines require a lot of maintenance or turn out to be a lemon outright, renting might not be such a bad deal after all.

I think another major consideration is the OP is planning to stay at this apartment for only 3 years. I don't think investing in two heavy appliances makes much sense when you're not planning to stay at your current residence's for the long-term.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:11 pm

One other possibility might be that the landlord set this high figure because it really does not want to be in this business - discourage "customers" and the hassle/work.

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:18 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:06 pm
Abe wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:28 pm
If the machines work perfectly for years and years, then buying is the more sensible arrangement. If on the other hand, the machines require a lot of maintenance or turn out to be a lemon outright, renting might not be such a bad deal after all.

I think another major consideration is the OP is planning to stay at this apartment for only 3 years. I don't think investing in two heavy appliances makes much sense when you're not planning to stay at your current residence's for the long-term.
My experience has been very little maintenance. I've had a washer and drier for over 10 years and never had any maintenance problems. If the OP leaves after 3 years he can always sell his washer and drier to another tenant. I'm 74 years old and I can easily move a washer and drier with a 2 wheeler.
Slow and steady wins the race.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:37 pm

I would pass until you buy a house.

Find a good laundry mat and 90 minutes each week you knock out your laundry for $3-4 (soap and quarters). Then become really good friends with your neighbors that have washer/dryers in their apts. This could serve for a Saturday hang factor (you bring lunch or beer) or on that rare occasion you need a quick wash of something you can knock on their door.

I would say most houses will not have W/D when you buy, but if you see a W/D that is newish in the house you are buying you can probably get the seller to negotiate with you on leaving them. They don't want to move them either. :)
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

gretah

Post by gretah » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 pm

I've owned w/d, rented units with w/d, and used laundry services.

In your situation, I would go the "wash and fold service" route. But I would only use it for linens, socks, and sturdy clothes. Wash and fold is tough on clothes.

I hate hanging out at laundromats. But I endure when washing large items, like comforters and rugs. Cheapest way to go.

When I used W+F, I hand washed my own delicates, including clothes I had sewn myself.

If you use W+F, provide your own soap in a baggie each time. Tell them you have "severe allergies." The detergent they use is the harsh, cheap stuff. Ivory liquid is good enough - no need for expensive Woolite, etc. And tell them no dryer sheets, bleach, or starch. Ugh.

If you wear dress shirts, have them washed and ironed, no starch.