What are the jobs with the best medical insurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Derivative

What are the jobs with the best medical insurance?

Post by Derivative » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 pm

What are the jobs with the best medical insurance? I am looking for potential jobs as a recent top-college graduate (sciences/pre-med) and want to work in healthcare and/or science teaching. What jobs have the best medical insurance? What if I have a family and kid and they need health insurance? I am assuming there are many companies that provide your family health insurance as well? Where can I find more information on this and the medical benefit package for each job?

If medical insurance is someone's top priority, as a recent college graduate, how do people even know which job to choose or search for jobs and compare based on the medical benefits package? Same with salary information? I am having a tough time deciding what job to apply for because I don't want to apply for ones that have poor salary/benefits that don't meet my criteria (e.g. $65k-70k+ with medical/health insurance)... I have other income sources so I am a little picky on the job. Any advice?

runner3081

Re: What are the jobs with the best medical insurance?

Post by runner3081 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 pm

Pretty much every company will offer benefits for family... what you pay for them will vary drastically. Insurance is not job specific (unless you are a provider - they can be better), it is company specific.

I have worked in Healthcare for 15 years. I have found that the best medical insurance is typically (not always) with the large hospital groups. Many of them have a 3-tier network system and will provide significantly reduced facility fees, co-pays, etc if you use their providers and locations.

On the other hand, smaller private MD practices have terrible benefits. Which, makes sense, when looking at risk pooling in smaller vs larger populations.

For example, we pay $40 per month for full family coverage on an HDHP plan in a large system. At a 20 MD practice I was at, it was $1,100 per month (employee cost) for similar coverage.

I have found that many companies have some kind of a plan document online (whether intentionally or not). Though this won't show rates, it will at least have coverage levels. Just google them.

Also, check out glassdoor, larger companies have many reviews and you can get some benefits info from here (through reviews).

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Derivative wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 pm
Same with salary information? I am having a tough time deciding what job to apply for because I don't want to apply for ones that have poor salary/benefits that don't meet my criteria (e.g. $65k-70k+ with medical/health insurance)... I have other income sources so I am a little picky on the job. Any advice?
There is SO MUCH more to a job than salary. Look for jobs that interest you and that you are qualified for. Go through the interview process and figure out the salary later. If they like you, there is almost always flexibility on their end.

What is your specialty/degree/certificate?

In healthcare (as with anything else), that will usually drive your ballpark salary. I haven't found a massive variation in pay in the same city for similarly aligned jobs at different hospitals/medical groups.

ram

Post by ram » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 pm
Pretty much every company will offer benefits for family... what you pay for them will vary drastically. Insurance is not job specific (unless you are a provider - they can be better), it is company specific.

I have worked in Healthcare for 15 years. I have found that the best medical insurance is typically (not always) with the large hospital groups. Many of them have a 3-tier network system and will provide significantly reduced facility fees, co-pays, etc if you use their providers and locations.

On the other hand, smaller private MD practices have terrible benefits. Which, makes sense, when looking at risk pooling in smaller vs larger populations.

For example, we pay $40 per month for full family coverage on an HDHP plan in a large system. At a 20 MD practice I was at, it was $1,100 per month (employee cost) for similar coverage.

I have found that many companies have some kind of a plan document online (whether intentionally or not). Though this won't show rates, it will at least have coverage levels. Just google them.

Also, check out glassdoor, larger companies have many reviews and you can get some benefits info from here (through reviews).
+1.
My employer, a large healthcare company provides good coverage to any employee who works >30 hrs/wk. Over the years the coverage has gotten 'worse'. But in any given year it is typically the best coverage available among various local employers.
Ram

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:41 am

Go to work for a large physician group practice; they will offer the best health insurance, for sure.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:24 am

Here in PA, public school teachers have excellent coverage, the kind private industry used to have decades ago.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:06 am

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 pm
You would think health insurance would be better for health care workers....

In my wife's case her former employer, a large hospital group required they use only their own facilities, to include their network of doctors for her main GP and other specialties. This medical group was the largest in the state employing over 20k employees and now everyone has to use the same limited pool of DRs.

On top of that they required blood tests done at their hospital facilities yearly to look for nicotine, they of course monetarily penalized you for positive results. At the end before she left they were adding in other checks as well BMI, cholesterol etc... They were then required to lower BMI every year or face penalty....

The cost of this coverage was not any cheaper then mine without these restrictions.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Jayhawk11

Post by Jayhawk11 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:07 am

Federal government has some pretty good health insurance options. So, given you history, maybe the VA, CDC, etc.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 am

MegaCorp has been the best for me. With their annual employer HSA contribution, a typical year is "free healthcare".

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 am

munemaker wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:24 am
Here in PA, public school teachers have excellent coverage, the kind private industry used to have decades ago.
If you are not in medicine provider level (doctor, PA, NP, CRNA) I would definitely consider this avenue. Public school teachers have EXCELLENT benefits and pensions. Also, as a science person (like Math) I am sure you will be in demand.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:32 am

my megacorp basically has a no contribution plan for family, that technically is a HDHP but they kick about half of the deductable into a HSA, then i need to come up with the other 1300ish dollars a year.... pretty good deal overall.

effectively its handcuffss

everyone in the company basically gets it (or one of the other good plans) .. from the minimum wage worker, to the CEO....

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:34 am

President or congressional member.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:42 am

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 am
munemaker wrote:
If you are not in medicine provider level (doctor, PA, NP, CRNA) I would definitely consider this avenue. Public school teachers have EXCELLENT benefits and pensions. Also, as a science person (like Math) I am sure you will be in demand.

Good luck.
The OP's desired salary level is a little high for education, not to mention the fact that a recent "sciences/pre-med" grad would likely need a couple more years of undergrad coursework to get a teaching license in most states.
Derivative wrote:
I am having a tough time deciding what job to apply for because I don't want to apply for ones that have poor salary/benefits that don't meet my criteria (e.g. $65k-70k+ with medical/health insurance)... I have other income sources so I am a little picky on the job. Any advice?

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 am

oldfatguy wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:42 am
staythecourse wrote:
munemaker wrote:

Good luck.
The OP's desired salary level is a little high for education, not to mention the fact that a recent "sciences/pre-med" grad would likely need a couple more years of undergrad coursework to get a teaching license in most states.
Derivative wrote:
I am having a tough time deciding what job to apply for because I don't want to apply for ones that have poor salary/benefits that don't meet my criteria (e.g. $65k-70k+ with medical/health insurance)... I have other income sources so I am a little picky on the job. Any advice?
Agreed not having the degrees is the big problem outside of if the OP has interest in the field of education.

The salary though is not. If one doesn't care where they work there are suburbs making that and more. I know one of the suburbs near me the teachers went on strike (or threatened) last year or 2 ago and their salaries were around 100k. Don't forget about the pension as well which adds to the value of the compensation (just like the health insurance). There simply are not enough science teachers and that makes one in demand (one of our family friends who is a public school teacher told us that so assume he knows, but who knows).

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 am

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 am
oldfatguy wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:42 am
staythecourse wrote:
munemaker wrote:

Good luck.
Derivative wrote:
Agreed not having the degrees is the big problem outside of if the OP has interest in the field of education.

The salary though is not. If one doesn't care where they work there are suburbs making that and more. I know one of the suburbs near me the teachers went on strike (or threatened) last year or 2 ago and their salaries were around 100k. Don't forget about the pension as well which adds to the value of the compensation (just like the health insurance). There simply are not enough science teachers and that makes one in demand (one of our family friends who is a public school teacher told us that so assume he knows, but who knows).

Good luck.
Only the top 10% of teachers nationwide make more than 92K, the median is about 58K, and entry level salaries are often 40K or less: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-train ... .htm#tab-5

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am

In my experience Federal Government, but not military.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am

As a general rule, larger employers are more likely to have better benefits than smaller. Especially government agencies.

Also, to the extent the company has a higher percentage of higher paid professional the coverage is likely to be better.

But YMMV.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 am

An important consideration is insurance into retirement, especially pre-medicare age. Private employment pretty much leaves you high and dry in that department. I know people on Federal Employees Health Benefits that are golden.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am

My observation is that, on balance, government employees (at many different levels) seem to have generally good healthcare benefits - and some still provide a degree of such benefits after retirement and some to those over 65.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 am

dbr wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 am
An important consideration is insurance into retirement, especially pre-medicare age. Private employment pretty much leaves you high and dry in that department. I know people on Federal Employees Health Benefits that are golden.
Yes - a gneration or two ago, some Megacorps had outstanding health insurance benfits for employees (often full family no charge) and such benefits extending into retirement. No more - except in rare cases.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 am

I can only speak for mine, and not sure how it compares.

local gov't w/ HDHP + HSA

the city covers the entire deductible of $3,000 by contributing to the HSA.

for my wife and I, we pay $270/mo in coverage. That went up 10% from last year since it's largely based on how much employees of the city use the prior year.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 am

munemaker wrote:
This will vary by region/district. I'm a public school teacher in the Bay Area and get no health benefits from my employer. To cover our family of three, we have the option to purchase insurance through the school district at a cost of $26k/year. Instead of health benefits, the district I work for provides a decent salary. I make a bit over $100k as a mid-career teacher. We have our health benefits through my wife's employer; she works for a small business. I sought out an employer that would provide a higher salary instead of benefits since benefits are covered through my wife.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:42 am

Federal employment.
Career military.
Police, Fire, etc. (public)
Often, not private.

j

RetiredMommy

Post by RetiredMommy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 am

I was very happy with my healthcare benefits as a teacher... full family benefits when I worked but they’d capped it to 19k/year I believe. Other districts gave way less and even used benefit collars (cafeteria plan) but man... it was good those 12 years I worked there paying nothing for our family towards medical, dental, and vision! Now, my husbands insurance we have now is pricy and definitely not as good!

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 am

oldfatguy wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 am
Only the top 10% of teachers nationwide make more than 92K, the median is about 58K, and entry level salaries are often 40K or less: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-train ... .htm#tab-5
Much thanks. Guess the public teachers around me should stop griping then about salary as they make way above 60k.

Good luck.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 am

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 am
oldfatguy wrote:
Much thanks. Guess the public teachers around me should stop griping then about salary as they make way above 60k.
Good luck.
There is a wide range of the salaries of public school teachers around the country - and even within states.

The majority of such public school teachers, I believe, are participants in defined benefit pensions - something almost no longer available in the private sector. In this area, public school retirees (even after medicare eligibility) receive significant health insurance benefits coordinated with Medicare.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:48 am

Become a doctor

I have preferred provider access and fees-some systems offer preferential treatment for providers

I will pay 3400 a year with no deductible and max oop of 1500 per person in my family for any and all hospital related care. Outpatient services have copays 20-40 dollars. Prescription coverage is only for generics except for certain medications.
Another poster mentioned 30 dollars a month which is insanely cheap. Unless they meant 300. This is pretty good unless the deductible is really high. I feel good knowing that if anything happens to me near my system im taken care of. Its a level 1 center w 7 hospitals -about a 1000 beds total.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:44 am
staythecourse wrote:
oldfatguy wrote:
Good luck.
There is a wide range of the salaries of public school teachers around the country - and even within states.

The majority of such public school teachers, I believe, are participants in defined benefit pensions - something almost no longer available in the private sector. In this area, public school retirees (even after medicare eligibility) receive significant health insurance benefits coordinated with Medicare.
Correct. Just looked it up looks like the typical pension for public teachers in my area is around 4k per month. Not bad since they don't put an equal amount of salary for that match. They aren't eligible for SS though, but then again are not putting that money into the system either.

Good l uck.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:19 pm

A couple of things to watch out for;

1) When you leave a job with a large company with more than 50(?) employees they are usually required to let you continue your health insurance by paying the premium yourself for 18 months, more in some states, by using what is called COBRA . Small employers are not required to do this. I don't know what the rules for this are for government jobs or non-profit companies.

2) If you have a spouse that has health insurance through their job then your employer may require then to use that insurance as their primary insurance even if it is not very good.

3) If you have kids and both spouses have work provided health insurance for the kids then the "birthday rule" may be used to determine which insurance is primary. My understanding is that it is possible and sometimes desirable for the kids to be covered under both parents insurance but it gets complicated.

4) With a large company they will review and change their plans once a year, usually in November and they may even change health insurance companies and this may require you to change your doctors. Before I retired the company I worked for made the health insurance a little bit worse or a little bit more expensive for the employee each year and that really adds up over five or ten years.

In fairness the health insurance costs do increase each year so some changes are to be expected but some companies will use this as an opportunity to shift more costs to the employee to improve their bottom line.

5) Look at the health insurance as part of a total compensation package. If you can make a lot more in some job with mediocre health insurance you can still come out ahead if you need to pay more costs yourself.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 pm
dm200 wrote:
staythecourse wrote:
oldfatguy wrote:
Good luck.
Correct. Just looked it up looks like the typical pension for public teachers in my area is around 4k per month. Not bad since they don't put an equal amount of salary for that match. They aren't eligible for SS though, but then again are not putting that money into the system either.
Good l uck.
The public school teachers/employees in this area, as far as I know, all pay into (and can collect from) Social Security Retirement.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:54 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm
staythecourse wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 pm
dm200 wrote:
staythecourse wrote:
oldfatguy wrote:
Good luck.
Good l uck.
The public school teachers/employees in this area, as far as I know, all pay into (and can collect from) Social Security Retirement.
Interesting most public employees do NOT pay into and are thus not eligible to collect SS. That is the purpose of their pension. It is to replace SS as a fixed monthly income. I do remember (if correct) that was the big deal with the Detroid pension failures. Many (if not all) of those workers were really in trouble since they had not fallback from SS when the pensions went under.

Good luck.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 pm

We have medical insurance through one of the large medical laboratory testing companies. Good benefits and free lab tests (as long as you are not getting a test done at the competition). They also throw in a free physical every year. The con is that they offer "discounts" based on the results of the physical if you are a non-smoker and not obese (if obese you can be in a doctor supervised weight loss plan or losing 10% of body weight a year). So it is effectively a mandatory physical and you'll be penalized (sorry, not offered the discount) if you smoke/are obese.
Sarah

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Military has great insurance in my experience. It also continues after military retirement at low cost.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Government jobs - from what I see around here it's Cadillac coverage with a very reasonable out of pocket expense.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Interesting thread. I get asked this question frequently.

The thing I've learned over time is that the answer you give today may be different than what you'll give tomorrow.

All of the answers above might be accurate at any point in time. However, things can change. Your employer, no matter how large, is not obligated to keep a current plan and is not obligated to ask your opinion when it's contemplating a change. I've seen very large corporations change plans to a more "employee-sharing" plan, I've seen generous PPOs changed to HMOs, and I've seen large physician groups (mentioned above) change to very expensive plans for employees (so the thought that a large physician group plan will keep a stellar plan for employees is wishful thinking).

I'm not sure how you'd guarantee that a terrific current plan will be maintained. We've even had municipal plans, quite generous, change significantly to very restrictive plans (cost-cutting, obviously). The best bet would be "bigger is better" although there are certainly no guarantees anywhere that I know of.

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:28 pm

I work in public ed (well... An ESA) and have been since 2004. I am not a teacher but have worked in a variety of cabinet and engineering roles in K12 IT. Govt / public sector *USED* To be the gold standard in health benefits. Just like the private sector, I have seen costs go up and benefits decrease. For example, when I started my career in 2004 we had no idea what a copay or coinsurance was. Today, you could expect to pay $300-400 per month for family coverage with something like $250/750 individual/family plan deductible. Copays are around $20-40 depending.

When I took my current job we ran the numbers and decided to go with the high deductible/HRA plan which employer contribute a $2000 per year toward. I pay $200 per month for a $1500/3000 deductible family plan.

Get used to more "creative" cost cutting measures if you decide to go into teaching. In my case my ESA hired a full time staff doctor, physical therapist and runs a pharmacy. I have $0 addition health care costs if I or my family use the on site doc and pay the insurance premium. This works well for all as this doctor is great and my employer now saves tons of money and gets lab tests, doctor's visits, and pharma at cost. A lab test that gets billed at $100 to the insurance company and passed through to my employer now gets billed directly to my employer for $5.

You should definitely "interview" the HR benefits staff at a prospective job before applying. You need to know if you see yourself in the position first and foremost. Education is becoming increasingly bureaucratic and unreasonable in terms of demands on teachers. Research the school district and attend board meetings to see how the Dynamics work between board, administration, and teachers. As with any employer, Research the financial position of the district. If the financials are shaky then run the other way before you become the next victim of LIFO.

I would also caution those on here to email against well compensated teachers. While I have my quibbles with the traditional level/step structure for teacher salaries, numbers vary wildly by region within a state. Yes, sure, PA public school teachers could make $100k in a wealthy Philly suburban school with 20+ YOS for instance. Around most other areas you would find starting salaries in the $40-50k range. Ask yourself if you really see yourself staying in for 20 years.

Also, this mentioned before but I'll say it agaun. Pensions are "deferred compensation" by public sector employers in the strictest sense of the words. It's an acknowledgement that you will never make what a peer would make in the private sector while you are working, so a percentage of the salary is paid now and the rest is paid later. I am required by law to contribute 7.5% of salary for the pension benefit. I also max out my 403(b) and Roth IRA as well as my wife's tIRA.

Go shopping for the best deal on a job. GOOD LUCK!

-TheDDC

AF-Veteran

Post by AF-Veteran » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:10 pm

GuyInFL wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 pm
Military has great insurance in my experience. It also continues after military retirement at low cost.

+1000. Retired military myself and pay only $578 annually for Tricare Prime family plan. Both my DW and myself have PCMs on the nearby military base, so no co-pays for visits and prescriptions.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:40 pm

OP, not sure if this helps, but most large state university systems have a health sciences campus with excellent benefits and specialty coverage. So if you can get a state university job, that could work. Kinda like wagging the dog by the tail, though, finding the best benefits then a job that suits you at that place.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 am
dbr wrote:
Yes - a gneration or two ago, some Megacorps had outstanding health insurance benfits for employees (often full family no charge) and such benefits extending into retirement. No more - except in rare cases.
I'm very fortunate. My megacorp offers retiree medical at 55. You can keep it until medicare age, and then you switch to a medicare supplement plan. The insurance is quite good and offered at a reasonable cost. Megacorp provides insurance through a major provider, but it is a self-funded plan, so I guess megacorp gets what megacorp wants (pays for). Of course, it's subject to change annually, so who knows what it will be by the time I retire. Megacorp also provides a pension and a 117% 401k match, so megacorp is out of the ordinary for benefits...

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 pm

To answer the OP's original question, any job in Canada :). This is not meant to be a political statement. Quality/availability of health care coverage (at least relative to others citizens) is not really a relevant question in many countries. If OP is mobile, a real choice could be to consider different countries instead of different employers/sectors.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 pm

CppCoder wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 pm
dm200 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 am
dbr wrote:
I'm very fortunate. My megacorp offers retiree medical at 55. You can keep it until medicare age, and then you switch to a medicare supplement plan. The insurance is quite good and offered at a reasonable cost. Megacorp provides insurance through a major provider, but it is a self-funded plan, so I guess megacorp gets what megacorp wants (pays for). Of course, it's subject to change annually, so who knows what it will be by the time I retire. Megacorp also provides a pension and a 117% 401k match, so megacorp is out of the ordinary for benefits...
Wow. - I didn't think any Megacorps did this any more - you are in a great situation. Most companies aren't willing to fork out what amounts to perhaps $20K a year to an early retiree. I knew there was one or two that still had pensions (becoming rare as well) but early retiree medical I didn't realize existed. I will have to get you my resume :)

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:29 pm
CppCoder wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 pm
Wow. - I didn't think any Megacorps did this any more - you are in a great situation. Most companies aren't willing to fork out what amounts to perhaps $20K a year to an early retiree. I knew there was one or two that still had pensions (becoming rare as well) but early retiree medical I didn't realize existed. I will have to get you my resume :)
Everything's great until electric vehicles "drink our milkshake." Can you guess my industry (and movie reference)? :D

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:04 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:54 pm
Interesting most public employees do NOT pay into and are thus not eligible to collect SS. That is the purpose of their pension. It is to replace SS as a fixed monthly income. I do remember (if correct) that was the big deal with the Detroid pension failures. Many (if not all) of those workers were really in trouble since they had not fallback from SS when the pensions went under.
The Detroit city pension system did not "fail" or "go under". The city went into bankruptcy. As part of the settlement of that, there were reductions in pension benefits and changes to the system for new employees.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:33 pm

I work for a large academic medical center that is currently part of a 5-hospital system. Even when a stand-alone hospital, the health benefits have been of the "Cadillac"type. The health system self insures, and the benefits are greatest if you stay within the system. Colleagues who have left remark how we don't realize how cushy our benefits are, until you look at other companies.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:00 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:04 pm
staythecourse wrote:
The Detroit city pension system did not "fail" or "go under". The city went into bankruptcy. As part of the settlement of that, there were reductions in pension benefits and changes to the system for new employees.
I cannot cite a reference, but I doubt that "most" public employees are exempt from SS retirement taxes and benefits.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
staythecourse wrote:
I should have been more clear. The pension DID fail, but not by its design, but because the city itself went bankrupt.

Good luck.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 am

staythecourse wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
I should have been more clear. The pension DID fail, but not by its design, but because the city itself went bankrupt.
You said it went under and implied that the pensioners got nothing. That's not what happened at all. They had to take a reduction in benefits. That's the same thing that has happened to private company pensions in the past.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:10 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:18 am
staythecourse wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
You said it went under and implied that the pensioners got nothing. That's not what happened at all. They had to take a reduction in benefits. That's the same thing that has happened to private company pensions in the past.
This is what I said:

"I do remember (if correct) that was the big deal with the Detroid pension failures. Many (if not all) of those workers were really in trouble since they had not fallback from SS when the pensions went under."

I did not imply that they "got nothing". DId I? I said, "...were really in trouble...". That is true. Did the pension fail? Yes because like any pension there is a counterparty risk based on the solvency of the issuer. What they got in the end was NOT what was promised in the pension plan agreement when they signed their contracts. They were in trouble and I did know they settled for a reduced pension. The reason they are in MORE trouble then most would expect is just for the reason I mentioned is that (as far as I know) they were NOT eligible for SS. So for them they had no "second stool" that most would have thought. Now if I am wrong that they were eligible for SS then I am incorrect. That was my understanding of the magnitude of the issues facing pensioners from Detroit when it was all unraveling. If it wasn't negotiated these folks would NOT have had pension OR SS. As I said if I am incorrect about the SS issue then mea culpa.

Good luck.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am

staythecourse wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:10 am
"I do remember (if correct) that was the big deal with the Detroid pension failures. Many (if not all) of those workers were really in trouble since they had not fallback from SS when the pensions went under."
You used "went under". I have NEVER heard that used for "a reduction in benefits". That means it disappeared. You made a mistake. It's clear to me you thought it actually did that, and when corrected you now want to pretend like you meant something else.

Good luck.

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 pm

dbr wrote:
Agreed, retired federal postal worker: Pension, life insurance and health insurance about $240 a month with $350 deductible,self only,
carried into retirement.....only minus was salary median $56k at retirement, after 31 years. I could have went higher if I had gone into management, tried it and didn’t like it. But I’m doing just fine with what benefits I retained and loving retirement!