Insurance Comparison Quotes?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Momof2

Insurance Comparison Quotes?

Post by Momof2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:12 am

I am about to send out my Insurance policy Declaration pages to several agencies to compare premiums for apple to apple coverage. These are my policies:

Personal Auto
Homeowners

Business Auto
Business Contractors Liability

Would you send all four to the agencies or just the personal auto & home and wait on the business?OR send the two autos and home and save out the contractors liability till later?

I thought I'd send to: 4 local independent insurance agents who represent a variety of companies plus Amica, Geico, American Family & Allstate.

Momof2

Re: Insurance Comparison Quotes?

Post by Momof2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:25 pm

Should I know this : / ?

If I guessed (and from reading other threads) the answer you'd probably say I should obviously get the two auto's and home together. Right? Cuz "bundling" those insurance types gets a better package price, right?

Guess I'm not sure what you'll say about the contractor/liability insurance for the business.

I'm also going to get quotes on new Term Life Insurance for my husband and I and a different Disability for him. Might the Contractor/liability lump in with these? Or is it just on it's own?

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 pm

bundling doesnt always save much. Do the business separately. Dont forget umbrella

Momof2

Post by Momof2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:41 pm

So if contacting local independent agents just ask what type of insurance they handle (auto, home, umbrella, life, disability...) and whatever they handle let them have a copy of our current policies (declaration pages) and ask them for an apples to apples quote?

But, with online companies just get individual policy quotes, they don't need to know we're shopping for more than one thing?

Right?

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:02 am

Right.

If you dont enjoy shopping around just go with Amica, USAA, or Chubb. More often than not, you get what you pay for.

myabi.com is one of the better independent agencies.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:04 am

I would definitely send the two autos and the home as a bundle and maybe include the business liability. Many companies offer significant multi-line and multi-car discounts so you would want to see what they can do. The business liability is probably not so likely to be discounted. I don't see any downside to grouping them up and seeing what the agent can do. Your discounts are going to come from what a company will do for multiple policies vs the individual agent giving you a break for having multiples.

Momof2

Post by Momof2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:11 pm

THANK YOU ALL for your help! I so appreciate all the guidance on this forum!