Something weird this day came

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Spirit Rider

Something weird this day came

Post by Spirit Rider »

This is not exactly personal finance or a personal consumer issue, but it sure is actionable.

Today I received a 9 x 12 envelope in the mail. Inside was an 8" x 10" photograph print with a couple of senior men in middle of a sparse gathering of seniors. I'm not sure, but one of the men seemed vaguely familiar.

Nothing else was in the envelope! Note: The envelope was addressed to my nickname, which I have never used for any legal, employment or consumer purpose.

The return address was ABCD "Law Office" from one of the very few states I have never been in. I googled the law offices and they do exist but only in listings of attorneys but no real net presence. Which in itself might not be that surprising, because the lawyer is also a senior and probably isn't a social media person.

I am hesitant to just pick up the phone and call. Does this seem like a scam? A zombie debt collector? Any suggestions?
FIREchief

Re: Something weird this day came

Post by FIREchief »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:49 pm This is not exactly personal finance or a personal consumer issue, but it sure is actionable.

Today I received a 9 x 12 envelope in the mail. Inside was an 8" x 10" photograph print with a couple of senior men in middle of a sparse gathering of seniors. I'm not sure, but one of the men seemed vaguely familiar.

Nothing else was in the envelope! Note: The envelope was addressed to my nickname, which I have never used for any legal, employment or consumer purpose.

The return address was ABCD "Law Office" from one of the very few states I have never been in. I googled the law offices and they do exist but only in listings of attorneys but no real net presence. Which in itself might not be that surprising, because the lawyer is also a senior and probably isn't a social media person.

I am hesitant to just pick up the phone and call. Does this seem like a scam? A zombie debt collector? Any suggestions?
Wow. It will be interesting to see what kind of responses you get with this thread. My first thought was that maybe they thought you might recognize one of the men and call them to ask "why did you sent me a photo with my Great Uncle Joe's picture? I haven't seen him since I was a kid." If they're trying to locate distant relatives, without having to sort through a bunch of scam artists, that might be an efficient approach. I would imagine that if this were legit, and you called and told them that you received the photo and think you recognize the guy on the right, then they might tell you more. Maybe you've inherited ten million dollars, and you just don't know it yet. If the law firm is legit, then you probably wouldn't be taking much chance to call. Maybe you can find out what type of practice it is. If it is estate and elder law, you're probably okay. If they are ambulance chasing litigators, then I would be much more nervous. Have you checked the website for the local Bar Association? That might provide more info on the type of practice. Local yellow pages might be useful as well (if they still have those).
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Maybe there was supposed to be a note inside that got mistakenly omitted. I would call them up to see why they sent it.
basspond

Post by basspond »

I would treat as a scam/phish and would not respond.
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

A friend of mine posted several items on Facebook like this. Basically apparently somebody signed him up for some sort of mystery thing and he got several mailings with old photographs, copies of old newspaper articles in foreign languages, etc.

He enjoyed the puzzle, me, I never got the point.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Hints of the "Red-Headed League"..........
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I would send them a bill for $50 for opening it and looking at it. That would be .2 hours at my normal rate. And add on $ .20 for the envelope and $ .50 for the postage (and don't forget $2.00 for a photo copy.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

The simplest explanation is often the right one. Maybe a letter got left out of the envelope.

Before calling them, I'd try to verify the ABCD Law Office actually exists through something more than google. Seems unlikely, but that webpage might be manufactured.

But maybe you could look at the office on the view page of google maps or check the state's listing of attorneys licensed to practice or one of those lawyer referral services or any number of other things that might find an actual law office.

Intriguing. When you find out, let us know. :happy
ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl »

Nate79 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:12 am Maybe there was supposed to be a note inside that got mistakenly omitted. I would call them up to see why they sent it.
+1. This was my first thought. Maybe the letter was accidentally omitted.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I would ignore it. If it is important to sender you will receive more info.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Yooper wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 am Hints of the "Red-Headed League"..........
I thought this sounded like the beginning of a Sherlock Holmes mystery as well!!
celia

Post by celia »

As a genealogist who had to clean up the estate of another genealogist (a relative), I sent several letters and photos back to the senders who sent them many years ago. Maybe someone else is also doing that, only that you weren't the sender. See if any of your relatives also got a photo of uncle "Joe". While you're talking to them, see if they recognize anyone else in the photo.
2b2

Post by 2b2 »

I wouldn't call until I first verified that the phone number (or at least the area code) was actually in the US.

2b2
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

All I can say is lawyers are use their language as a razor sharp weapon in their profession. So for one to end anything WITHOUT a very detailed letter would be a shock. I would ignore it and just file it away. If it is anything you should get another letter. If it is nothing then the situation will go away as they have likely spammed MANY other folks.

One thing I have learned from Mr. Bogle that I use OUTSIDE of finances is if you don't know what to do in certain situations as there is no clear cut answer just stand there and do nothing. The result then just plays out as default.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Spirit Rider wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:49 pm
I'm not sure, but one of the men seemed vaguely familiar.

The envelope was addressed to my nickname, which I have never used for any legal, employment or consumer purpose.
Who is the person that looks familiar?

Who knew/knows your nickname?
Teague

Post by Teague »

This envelope was sent from the future.

That man who looks vaguely familiar? It's you! :shock:
Semper Augustus
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Teague wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 am This envelope was sent from the future.

:sharebeer
carofe

Post by carofe »

This answer just made my morning, LOL
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.
chevca

Post by chevca »

Nicely done!! :D

OP, what I would do that's actionable.... find the nearest trash can and deposit the picture there. If this is really from someone that knows you, there will be more mail and attempts to contact. It doesn't sound like that's the case to me though.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Yooper wrote:
Hints of the "Red-Headed League"..........
And an_asker replied,
I thought this sounded like the beginning of a Sherlock Holmes mystery as well!!
But wait... there’s more. Look at Spirit Rider’s thread title.

Let this affair end up more A. Conan Doyle and less Ray Bradbury... or Macbeth.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Topic Author
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

fishandgolf wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:04 am
Spirit Rider wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:49 pm I'm not sure, but one of the men seemed vaguely familiar.

The envelope was addressed to my nickname, which I have never used for any legal, employment or consumer purpose.
Who is the person that looks familiar? I have no idea, just that they look familiar

Who knew/knows your nickname? Family, close friends and close colleagues.
Watty

Post by Watty »

You can use Google Street view to see what the building at the address of the law firm looks like and that might help you decide if it looks like a real law firm.

You have nothing to lose by calling them on Monday.

They already know your name and address and if they start asking for things like your bank account number to send you the millions of dollars that your long lost uncle who was a Nigerian prince left you then you can just refuse to give it.

You can block your phone number on the caller ID by dialing *67 before you dial the phone number.

https://www.wikihow.com/Block-Caller-ID
2b2 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:52 am I wouldn't call until I first verified that the phone number (or at least the area code) was actually in the US.

That is a good point, there are a few scams where you can end up dialing some number in the Caribbean that is not an obvious international number but they try to charge you some high fee.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal finance or investing related). See: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines
This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.