Pickleball versus Tennis

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
futureman

Pickleball versus Tennis

Post by futureman »

We are investing in our property and we may have an opportunity to build a sport court. I grew up playing tennis and was thinking we could install a tennis court. But I see lots of tennis courts in our area on private property go un-used. Our town park is converting tennis courts to pickleball courts. Watching Pickleball on Youtube, it seems much less strenuous and much more social than tennis. I am 45, wife is 44 with three kids ranging from 7 to 12.

Personally I just want something which will be used and something my wife and I can use with each other and our friends to stay healthy.

What court would you invest in?
dabrian

Re: Pickleball versus Tennis

Post by dabrian »

Me personally I would go with Pickleball. PB is the fastest growing participation sport in the US. I'm 38 years old and started playing 6 months ago and love it. My local YMCA started with two players two years ago and now has about 25 regulars playing 5 days a week ranging in ages from 12-80 years old.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

A lot more mileage for the knees, spine, etc, can be had with Pickleball, or equiv, than tennis.
And, the easier the skillset, the more the court will be used.
Suggest basketball hoop or portable unit. Odds are the young ones and friends will use it more.
Also, golf enclose driving range net system. Takes around 30' x 40'. Colleges use it.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
carolc

Post by carolc »

I played tennis growing up and for many years into adulthood. Now my knees don’t allow it. But...I have found pickleball and love it! Easy to learn if you have any athletic ability at all (whereas tennis takes lessons and years to get very good at it).

carolc
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

PB hands down as that's what I prefer.
basspond

Post by basspond »

Whatever you choose make sure several sports can be played on it. Variety is the spice of life and will help it getting used.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Might as well make it both! You can also play badminton. They just need different lines and adjustable nets.

While you're at it, you can also put in a short basketball court. With a little more space, shuffle board and volley ball can be added.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
ionball

Post by ionball »

Tennis. More distance to cover, therefore more exercise. If body breaks down with age, tennis court can be converted to smaller pickleball court. Many tennis players continue above age 70.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Our park has a tennis court with pickleball lines. Best of both worlds. I find pickleball to be an incredible workout.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

In my mega senior community, with 3 large tennis facilities, courts were empty much of the day. A conversion to pickleball has caused the courts to be in use all day and well into the evening. Apparently this is a game that can be enjoyed well into senior-hood.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

I'm really out of the loop. I never heard of Pickleball until this thread.
learningstill

Post by learningstill »

I agree with those that say find a way to design your sports court to be as versatile as possible. I haven't played PB but keep hearing about it and it seems that there are a lot of people who love it, as witnessed here. However, I think with kids aged 7-12 I would lean toward a tennis court if you thought they would be interested and would have a way to learn to play. Would be especially great if they have friends that could come over to play as well. I played tennis as a kid. Never got very good but had a lot of fun playing with my dad, siblings and friends through my teen years.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

A tennis court, but only if you're tennis players. And no skimping on the back-court to shoe-horn one in a too-small lot! Steep learning curve and almost no one learns as an adult. And if you're a real tennis player, then no "sport-court"/multipurpose is an acceptable substitute, as you know -- you'll just look for a "real" court elsewhere.

Know that there is a big social obligation with having your own tennis court -- some folks come to play as your guest and expect a half-day of meals and entertainment. My late father, who taught me to play, was a frequent guest of tennis court-owning friends and his secret was to treat it like any other court: arrive on time and leave when it's over. It was much appreciated and he had no end of invitations.

I agree that PB is a big hit with the senior set. I would not think that would help resale and it would not have interested me in my 40s.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Been playing tennis for 40 years and pickleball for a few, no comparison for me, it's tennis. You might know that on a deco turf tennis court you can overlay pickleball lines and play both sports just fine. Of course, if you want to save space or don't like all of tennis' exertion, go with the pickleball court.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
highercall

Post by highercall »

I play both and enjoy both. As others have said, tennis is harder to learn and harder on your body. However if you have the space and money the tennis court has more options. (tennis, pickleball, badminton, volleyball, basketball, ect.)
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I have watched pickle ball at the Y.

It just looks way to slow for me.

I have been playing racquetball for 40+ years and will continue until ????

I guess when/if I slow down around 80 or so, I may consider a change.

I just really enjoy playing racquetball now.

Have a great day (playing today at noon!)

don
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

A combo multi sport court would be best for a home.

PB is a great sport for both young and old, and while hard to master, PB is much easier to start playing and having fun almost immediately as compared to tennis, even for folks that aren't all that fit (or have some infirmary).
gips

Post by gips »

You used the term "investing in our property", does that mean you're expecting a return on your investment in term of resale? Are the costs roughly the same?

I'm 61, have played tennis since I was 13 and love the game. My wife picked up the game in her thirties, our three kids all played on the hs tennis team and had a great experience. When we're on vacation, we play family tennis. If you go this way, it's important to make sure the kids and adults are hitting with proper technique or injuries will occur. Our kids are not great tennis players but all have sound technique that will allow them to play for the rest of their lives.

having said that, a lot my tennis friends have started playing pickleball and love it. they feel it's a great workout and has added variety to their workouts.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I would go with the tennis court and have a pickleball court lines drawn in as well.

As others have commented, Pickleball is so much easier on the body. I played tennis through college and later, it destroyed my wrists, elbows and shoulders. I play pickleball weekly now and have no pain, it is great!
Hukedonfonix4me

Post by Hukedonfonix4me »

Pickleball vote here. I worked at a summer camp which had both tennis and Pickleball courts.

The more popular courts when I was the counselor at this activity were always the Pickleball. It is much easier to play and does not cause as much strain as you age.

Definitely recommend adding a basketball hoop on the court area for additional usage.

YMMV

:beer
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

My bias; I play pickle ball 3 times a week and planning on extending to 4 days a week. If you think this is a slow game, watch some good players or better, check out You-Tube and watch pickle ball championships. The game is addictive and loads of fun.

If you have the room, and like tennis, then I vote with many other posters to do a tennis court with pickle ball lines.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
dm200

Post by dm200 »

There are pickleball courts set up ( 1, 2 or 3 depending on day and time) at the community center I use. I have no interest, but a few years ago - this was almost all "seniors" and promoted to older folks. More and more, I am seeing younger and younger participants - maybe crowding out us older folks :)
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

I your knees are healthy, I would go with tennis. A clay court is easier on your joints, but requires maintenance. Clay also is a very different game that hard court.
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

bhsince87 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm Might as well make it both! You can also play badminton. They just need different lines and adjustable nets.

While you're at it, you can also put in a short basketball court. With a little more space, shuffle board and volley ball can be added.
+100
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

I would do tennis with pickleball lines on it as well.

I'm a 5x a week tennis player, but pickleball is becoming hugely popular as the population ages. All the tennis hard courts at my club are lined for pickleball as well and pickleball courts are getting built fast all over the country.

Pickleball is not my jam, but watching professional pickleball on YouTube really showed me what the sport can be like and it's VERY exciting and VERY fast! My volleying skills would never hold up!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

futureman wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:29 pm We are investing in our property and we may have an opportunity to build a sport court. I grew up playing tennis and was thinking we could install a tennis court. But I see lots of tennis courts in our area on private property go un-used. Our town park is converting tennis courts to pickleball courts. Watching Pickleball on Youtube, it seems much less strenuous and much more social than tennis. I am 45, wife is 44 with three kids ranging from 7 to 12.

Personally I just want something which will be used and something my wife and I can use with each other and our friends to stay healthy.

What court would you invest in?
You can play pickleball on a tennis court, but not vice-versa.
Build a tennis court. Play both.

If it were me, I'd have at least one basketball hoop as well.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
futureman

Post by futureman »

Great feedback. Thank you.

We can fit a tennis court, but it will reduce the size of other facilities we want to include. We are limited by square footage of ground coverage. I think my kids will use a pool and patio more than a tennis court, so we are leaning towards a pickle ball court which would not impact the size of pool and patio. I grew up,playing tennis, but my wife did not. Kids are just getting started and they have courts at school they can use anytime.

Will definitely include a basketball court and a permanent corn hole “court”.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Sounds like you will have the funnest yard in town!
futureman wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 pm Great feedback. Thank you.

We can fit a tennis court, but it will reduce the size of other facilities we want to include. We are limited by square footage of ground coverage. I think my kids will use a pool and patio more than a tennis court, so we are leaning towards a pickle ball court which would not impact the size of pool and patio. I grew up,playing tennis, but my wife did not. Kids are just getting started and they have courts at school they can use anytime.

Will definitely include a basketball court and a permanent corn hole “court”.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX