Should I agree to have my driving monitored in exchange for lower rates?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
miamivice

Should I agree to have my driving monitored in exchange for lower rates?

Post by miamivice » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:03 am

My insurance company (and many other carriers as well) are offering a program where I sign up to have my driving monitored, and in exchange, they lower my rates. They monitor driving performance by having me install an app on my phone that sends driving data back to the insurance company. A variety of discounts are provided.

My impression is that while they may offer a "carrot" today (lower insurance premiums), eventually if enough people sign up for it, it's eventually going to lead to higher rates for some folks, primarily those who drive a lot of miles. Since I think our family would probably fall into a higher risk category, I think eventually this programs will be bad news for us.

But at the moment, they're simply offering discounts.

Should I sign up for the program?

Irisheyes

Re: Should I agree to have my driving monitored in exchange for lower rates?

Post by Irisheyes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 am

I wouldn't do it.

Smacks far too much of "big brother."

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 am

miamivice wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:03 am
My insurance company (and many other carriers as well) are offering a program where I sign up to have my driving monitored, and in exchange, they lower my rates. They monitor driving performance by having me install an app on my phone that sends driving data back to the insurance company. A variety of discounts are provided.
My impression is that while they may offer a "carrot" today (lower insurance premiums), eventually if enough people sign up for it, it's eventually going to lead to higher rates for some folks, primarily those who drive a lot of miles. Since I think our family would probably fall into a higher risk category, I think eventually this programs will be bad news for us.
So, you have to carry your phone at all times while driving?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am

I wouldn't do it. But I also don't carry my phone with me a lot so it wouldn't work anyway. Even when I have my phone the GPS is off and the data pipe is often shut down.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am

I wouldn't. What happens to your rates when they discover you're driving in areas they consider 'unsafe'?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am

miamivice wrote:

Don't you already report your estimated miles to your insurance company? This doesn't seem like a reason to worry, unless you have been "underestimating" them. Being high mileage should be priced into your rate already.

I would take the discount now rather than worry about the potential for higher rates in the future unless you are actually a bad driver.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:25 am

Personally, I wouldn't for reasons other than my driving (too big brotherish for me).

However, it's worth understanding that the biggest criteria are things like fast starts and short stops. If you are the type that likes to get on the gas hard off a stoplight, you won't qualify for a discount- even if you have an accident free record. Things like short stops can be out of your control- if you live in a big city and get cut off relatively regularly, you may find yourself having to stop short when it's beyond your control.

Under those criteria, I think they'd probably find an excuse to raise my rates after monitoring my driving. I have a perfect driving record, but I have to contend with an aggressive big-city driving environment. Plus, I have an affinity for the skinny pedal :mrgreen:

verbose

Post by verbose » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:39 am

My husband did this as part of Safeco's Rewind program becuase he had two at-fault accidents on his five-year record.

Safeco's version didn't require a phone. Instead there was a device that plugged into the OBD-II port on the car under the dashboard.

The items penalized were rapid acceleration, sudden stops, speed over 75 mph on any road, and late-night (2 am - 5 am) driving. Some of this is out of the driver's control, but to the insurance company, these items increase risk. However, the incidents had to occur as a frequent pattern to bring down the rating. And in his case, they didn't. He had only a few panic stops, all caused by other drivers, but those didn't count against him. His driving had a lot more fast starts, possibly because his car is a manual. The worst "fast start" (the only one in the "red zone" for acceleration) was actually on an icy driveway as he was trying to get the car into the garage. The program doens't know that, but again, it allows a certain number of incidents anyway. We could see all the reports on the website, including the time and location. Yes, the program tracks when and where you are driving and shares that with the insurance company.

My husband credits the program with helping him to be more aware of his driving habits and reduce his highway speed to something less likely to result in speeding tickets. He also qualified to have one accident taken off for rating purposes.

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 am

I did it a few years ago. I racked up a 21% discount, which was fine, and made it cheaper than the other insurers I checked with. After two years, at renewal time I decided to shop around and found lower rates at a different (highly rated) insurance company that didn’t use the device. I switched for the better rates.

The lesson I learned is that you cannot assume that agreeing to participate in that program guarantees you the best rates now and forever. It’s good to shop around from time to time to get competitive offers.
Steve

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:57 am

they have you plug something into the OBD port. its not through your phone.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:17 am

I just switched to Allstate. They give me a 5% discount for using it. It could be more but the app doesn't like my braking. It faults you for braking heavily I think >=10mph/sec. My FIt has powerful brakes and I usually do have to brake fairly hard now and then to avoid accidents. It also monitors not driving over 80mph and time of day. Driving at the wee hours of the night on weekdays is considered most dangerous.

They claim they can never increase your rates because of it just differential discounts.
Last edited by sschoe2 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:35 am

I'd want to see what it reports before agreeing. Our insurance company had an OBD device that was available only for teen drivers as a test of the system. Under the system, I could see where the car went, speed at any point on the route, braking, acceleration etc. When it arrived, I installed it in the car and took a very, very careful trip around the block. Well under a mile. I did nothing that wouldn't be ok with a driving instructor. I came home and looked at the map. It had a huge number of acceleration and braking alerts. 3 of them before I even completed backing out of the garage.

I kept the device until my son went to college. It was great for parental monitoring. (Is he really going where he said he was going?). I could set a speed at which I would get a text. I could see what he was up to. Winter time in a parking lot, circling 20 times? Oh, he's out doing donuts in the snow.

After seeing what it considered excessive braking and acceleration, I would never put one in my car if it counted for insurance.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:45 am

We just got a mail solicitation from our insurer (State Farm) for this type of program.

The discount was 5%. That is not nearly enough of an incentive for me to be monitored. If it was 20%, then i might consider it.

gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:47 am

If a furniture store offered you a 50% discount on a bed and mattress set if they could monitor your night activity, would you accept that?.......Gordon
Disciple of John Neff

KT785

Post by KT785 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 pm

delamer wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:45 am
We just got a mail solicitation from our insurer (State Farm) for this type of program.

The discount was 5%. That is not nearly enough of an incentive for me to be monitored. If it was 20%, then i might consider it.
My wife and I are enrolled in the Drive Safe and Save program through State Farm (and have been for several years) and save around $400 a year as a result. My understanding is that the initial discount is 5% but once they've collected enough information over 6 months to 1 year, the discount adjusts based on your driving dynamics, actual miles driven, etc. Our discount is certainly higher than the 5% it originally was . . . though discounts vary from state to state and as always, YMMV (pun only slightly intended :D ).

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm

No way would I voluntarily do this. Besides my natural predilection for privacy, I'm pretty sure I would trip all their alarms... Fast acceleration? Check. Speeding? You bet. Rapid braking? Indeed. Lots of time behind the wheel? Yes.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by Traveller on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Not a chance I'd ever do that.

One, I keep my tin-foil hat on nice and tight. No Alexa, Siri, etc allowed. No GPS allowed - it's disabled on my phone, which is an ancient Android tied to a dummy Gmail account.

Two, there's no way that device would lower my rates. I top 80mph every single day going to work. Sometimes I'll hit 90 if I'm really running late. I accelerate as fast as I can when the light turns green. I drive a lot at night (including after midnight) and on the weekends. I'll just go ahead and let the actuarial tables work in my favor. :wink:

3funder

Post by 3funder » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:16 pm

I'm sure there is some degree of extra work involved, so, for that reason, I wouldn't be interested.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 pm

KT785 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 pm
delamer wrote:

My wife and I are enrolled in the Drive Safe and Save program through State Farm (and have been for several years) and save around $400 a year as a result. My understanding is that the initial discount is 5% but once they've collected enough information over 6 months to 1 year, the discount adjusts based on your driving dynamics, actual miles driven, etc. Our discount is certainly higher than the 5% it originally was . . . though discounts vary from state to state and as always, YMMV (pun only slightly intended :D ).
Very punny!

Thanks for the additional information. I assume you could also have ended up with an increase in your premium, depending on the data collected.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Read the fine print. For those who always drive the speed limit and have no fast acceleration or hard stops, and are confident that they'll never be at fault in an accident, this may not matter.

But if/when you are at fault, don't be surprised if another party opens a claim against you, causing your insurance company to have to share your driving data - at which point they might try to deny covering the claim due to your driving habits (leaving you with the bill).

They may also use this data to raise your rates or to push more rate hikes through state insurance departments.

Acknowledgement/Vehicle Owner Consent
Snapshot data may be useful in determining the cause of an automobile accident. If you're in an accident, you may have a legal obligation to preserve the information on the device. This information may be sought by opposing parties in a civil lawsuit or by police when investigating the cause of an accident, or we may be legally obligated to provide such information in response to a subpoena or as otherwise required by law. In the event that you have an insurance claim with us, we will not use the data to resolve the claim without first obtaining your permission or (if not you) the registered vehicle owner's permission. There may also be instances where we're required to provide driving information to a state department of insurance in order to support renewal rates.
https://www.progressive.com/auto/discou ... onditions/

How might Snapshot affect my rate?
Most Snapshot customers earn a discount based on their safe driving; however, riskier driving based on these factors indicate a greater likelihood of being in an accident and may result in a higher rate at renewal. See our state details page for more information.
https://www.progressive.com/auto/discou ... questions/

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 pm
But if/when you are at fault, don't be surprised if another party opens a claim against you, causing your insurance company to have to share your driving data - at which point they might try to deny covering the claim due to your driving habits (leaving you with the bill).
What is the basis for saying that an insurance company might be able to deny a claim after the fact? It's not supported by the links you provided. Is there any evidence that this happens now, or is this wild speculation? Based on some light Googling, insurance can't deny a liability claim against a policy where the driver was under the influence, let alone "driving habits".

KT785

Post by KT785 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 pm

delamer wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 pm
KT785 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 pm
delamer wrote:

Very punny!

Thanks for the additional information. I assume you could also have ended up with an increase in your premium, depending on the data collected.
Actually, my recollection at the time we signed up was that we'd never be penalized for the data captured by the device . . . unless we previously received a low-mileage discount and the data actually showed we weren't entitled to it. Otherwise, the worst that could happen is that 5% discount could be reduced to a negligible amount (think ~1%) if your driving "grades" weren't very good and you drive a significant number of miles per year.

Ultimately, the way it was conveyed to us at the time was that there was no appreciable downside (at least from a rate/discount perspective) to signing up for Drive Safe and Save. We certainly save quite a bit through the program since we're boring drivers (though young, 30/29) but we're also quite comfortable with sharing our data with certain companies that we trust . . . especially if there's a financial incentive to do so.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 pm
Sandman62 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:29 pm
What is the basis for saying that an insurance company might be able to deny a claim after the fact? It's not supported by the links you provided. Is there any evidence that this happens now, or is this wild speculation? Based on some light Googling, insurance can't deny a liability claim against a policy where the driver was under the influence, let alone "driving habits".
Speculative, hence the use of the word "might". Sorry for stretching the imagination a bit here. But even if they'd cover liability, would they fully cover your own medical or property damages? I'm skeptical. And might this data at the very least be used to find you at fault in an accident that otherwise might have enough ambiguous data that fault might not have been determined as yours without it?
Last edited by Sandman62 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:33 pm

I can't use this program because you need to plug a device into the OBD2 port. My radar detector and laser scrambler use that port. These two items have been very beneficial at keeping my insurance rates low. I have a perfect driving record.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:39 pm

I love the tin foil “big brother” nonsense

If you can get cheaper rates, it’s well worth a try and I find it very helpful when being mindful of how I accelerate / decelerate. It makes you a better driver

I also don’t do anything illegal, so I don’t mind “big brother” knowing where my car is

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Irisheyes wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 am
I wouldn't do it.

They're already doing this. They're constantly tracking your mileage with registration renewals, safety and smog check, auto repairs that report it, etc. Adding real time data isn't going to make a huge difference, but using data to figure out if you're a safe or dangerous driver becomes more possible. Still, we can try to opt out, but that just puts us in a higher risk pool (think individual life insurance vs group). And rather than calling it a surcharge for bad drivers (and those unwilling to be monitored, hence unknown if they're good), they're incentivizing the good drivers willing to be monitored. In the end, it's all the same thing.

Is that a cash discount or a credit card surcharge at the pump? Two sides of the same coin.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtoury ... 0d21876fa8
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm

If the discount was nominal, I wouldn't bother, but if it was significant, I'd go ahead and take the savings. There is a risk you wind up accepting some limit with the device that excludes coverage under specific situations you never envision yourself involved in, but s*tuff happens, so it's not a free lunch. Overall, being "watched" should make some of use more careful drivers and help everyone out in the process.

Right now, they only base rates on where you live (and maybe where you work), but if they have complete GPS data on where you drive, would you want to re-rate if you drove in safer or more dangerous neighborhoods?
Last edited by inbox788 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:57 am
Wrong. Several insurance companies now offer an app for this. Not all states or all drivers have the mobile option though.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:33 pm

After a Florida trip my buddy took his new SUV to the dealer for the free oil change that came with the car.
Turns out his insurance company monitors dealer records and was informed of his mileage, who then contacted my buddy and told him they'd have to increase his premium because he was driving so much! :oops: :shock: :twisted:

Buddy also said he found out his on-star equipped vehicle doesn't turn off and is monitoring his driving all the time even though he doesn't subscribe to on-star.

So bottom line, insurance companies and automobile companies are already monitoring us anyway they can.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Insurance companies are not your friend. Perhaps the only "winning" move is to not have a car.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:14 pm

Never, ever, ever!

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:12 pm

I did progressive snapshot about 10 years ago. Received the maximum discount of 30%. Then something happened and they wanted me to do it again, but for 6 months instead of 3. I said no.

When I switched to State Farm two years ago, the price the agent quoted me included the stipulation that I download their app and use it while driving along with some device they mailed me. I immediately called the agent and bitched him out for not explaining this to me beforehand, then I returned their device. I have to pay an extra $20 / year for not using this service.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:19 pm

miamivice wrote:

Only if you're a Toyota driver

:happy
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Insurance companies are doing this for many reasons including gathering and selling your driving data. If you go to Home Depot or Best Buy or Dillard's a lot, you would be bombarded with those store-related ads.

TravelforFun

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:19 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:45 pm
Irisheyes wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:04 am
I wouldn't do it.

They're already doing this. They're constantly tracking your mileage with registration renewals, safety and smog check, auto repairs that report it, etc. Adding real time data isn't going to make a huge difference, but using data to figure out if you're a safe or dangerous driver becomes more possible. S
Yes, I know they are already doing it to an extent, but I don't feel a need to roll over and acquiese to yet more invasive surveillance.

Am I a safe or a dangerous driver? Most of the time, I'm really safe (think: 54 yr old female with clean record who is usually driving my teen around town) but I still don't like the idea of someone virtually looking over my shoulder ready to hand out financial merits and demerits.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Approximately half of all drivers are below average....

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:33 pm
I can't use this program because you need to plug a device into the OBD2 port. My radar detector and laser scrambler use that port. These two items have been very beneficial at keeping my insurance rates low. I have a perfect driving record.
Why don't you just tell your insurance company about your radar detector and laser scrambler? They would be glad to give 20% discount for that!

(Does this need a smiley?)

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:56 am

This was offered to me when I complained about a large rate increase. I opted not to do it. Although I consider myself a safe driver, I do not want my insurance company analyzing my driving.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 am

It’s funny, I like having it as I am a safe driver and it does make me mindful of how I brake

Ultimately it’ll be better for the car too ... I don’t mind “big brother” knowing when I go to the grocery store or out to dinner

Some on here sound like they are covert spies needing to stay off the grid - as if the government doesn’t already have tabs on you. Don’t kid yourself, they do.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:32 am

Traveller wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm
No way would I voluntarily do this. Besides my natural predilection for privacy, I'm pretty sure I would trip all their alarms... Fast acceleration? Check. Speeding? You bet. Rapid braking? Indeed. Lots of time behind the wheel? Yes.
Agreed, especially on the invasion of privacy. To agree to this type of monitoring is absolutely out of the question.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:36 am

Those that give up essential privacy to obtain a little temporary discount, deserve neither privacy nor discount. :D

ColoRetiredGirl

Post by ColoRetiredGirl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:01 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am
I wouldn't. What happens to your rates when they discover you're driving in areas they consider 'unsafe'?
+1. I am known to have a heavy foot sometimes…Would one or two infractions cause higher premiums? :?

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 am

samsoes wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:32 am
Traveller wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm
Agreed, especially on the invasion of privacy. To agree to this type of monitoring is absolutely out of the question.
I agree. There is no way I would ever agree to this. Our freedom and privacy get chippped away bit by bit with every passing day, but this goes WAY too far for me to ever agree to it.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 am

RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:39 pm
I also don’t do anything illegal, so I don’t mind “big brother” knowing where my car is
I think you are missing the point. This is not about doing anything illegal, this is about you voluntarily giving your insurance company detailed data on your driving habits, including braking, accelerating, average speed, max speed, number of miles driven, etc. Now if you consider driving over the posted speed limit as doing something illegal, then technically you are correct, but I strongly suspect that almost everyone at some point during their driving lives has driven over the posted speed limit and to that extent has therefore engaged in "illegal" conduct. Don't get me started about how posted speed limits are set artificially low, below normal driving patterns, to allow local governments to set up speed traps anytime they want to generate revenue from speeding tickets.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:28 am

mptfan wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 am
RRAAYY3 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:39 pm
I think you are missing the point. This is not about doing anything illegal, this is about you voluntarily giving your insurance company detailed data on your driving habits, including braking, accelerating, average speed, max speed, number of miles driven, etc. Now if you consider driving over the posted speed limit as doing something illegal, then technically you are correct, but I strongly suspect that almost everyone at some point during their driving lives has driven over the posted speed limit and to that extent has therefore engaged in "illegal" conduct. Don't get me started about how posted speed limits are set artificially low, below normal driving patterns, to allow local governments to set up speed traps anytime they want to generate revenue from speeding tickets.
Mine doesn’t account for speed, only miles/time/hard brakes.

It makes me drive smarter, safer, and my mileage/ brakes/transmission also benefit.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:30 am

Never, no way, not a chance. Ever.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:33 am

I'm thinking of asking the local sheriff's office to install a camera in my living room so that they can monitor my activities.

I think it'll ensure that I behave better than I otherwise would were I not being watched. No more yelling at my errant teen, for example, or having one glass of wine too many of a Friday...

My child and liver will thank me.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Shackleton wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 pm
PFInterest wrote:
Wrong. Several insurance companies now offer an app for this. Not all states or all drivers have the mobile option though.
How would an app know if I'm driving my car, or if I'm a passenger in another car being driven by a maniac? Seems like there still needs to be something attached to the car even if an app is involved.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:00 pm

“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

KT785

Post by KT785 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 pm

tuningfork wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 pm
Shackleton wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 pm
PFInterest wrote:
How would an app know if I'm driving my car, or if I'm a passenger in another car being driven by a maniac? Seems like there still needs to be something attached to the car even if an app is involved.
My wife and I each have a bluetooth beacon in our cars (long life battery presumably, not plugged into the ODB port); the app, through our smartphones, connect to the bluetooth beacons which in-turn captures the driving dynamics. You have to set up the beacon with the app and accordingly, it only records data when you have your phone in your car.