AmEx Delta Gold is now Honoring Bonus

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
DavidRoseMountain

AmEx Delta Gold is now Honoring Bonus

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:30 pm

I applied for the American Express Gold Delta skymiles card on Jan. 1st with a bonus promotion of 50,000 in miles and $50 statement credit by doing a certain spending within a certain time. I met all the requirements, and 8 weeks later I called up support and asked why I didn’t get the bonus. Customer support is doubting that I can get the bonus, they issued a support ticket, but maybe they’ll let me know whether maybe I’ll get the bonus or not. This is a very sleezy way of operating. I’m very angry with American Express right now cause I feel like they lied in their multiple marketing letters for this offer. All I have is a screen shot of the offer when I applied online with the reservation code I was sent, but the screen shot doesn't have the actual reservation code.

Edit update 3/11/18
Happy to report that I received 75,000 bonus miles after all on March 7th.
I got no notice that I would receive them, I just happened to look up the account to see.
I don't know if AmEx responded finally because of my CFPB complaint or simple review showed that I was targeted for the card without any lifetime language.
I now made plane reservations to visit parents during Christmastime, and I'll likely keep the card. Delta is the most convenient airline for my location, and the card does have some perks, and now that my parents in their mid-80's I'm likely going to need to visit more frequently. There's already a tentative plan for July.
Last edited by DavidRoseMountain on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JBTX

Re: AmEx Delta Gold Not Honoring Bonus

Post by JBTX » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:34 pm

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:30 pm
I applied for the American Express Gold Delta skymiles card on Jan. 1st with a bonus promotion of 50,000 in miles and $50 statement credit by doing a certain spending within a certain time. I met all the requirements, and 8 weeks later I called up support and asked why I didn’t get the bonus. Customer support is doubting that I can get the bonus, they issued a support ticket, but maybe they’ll let me know whether maybe I’ll get the bonus or not. This is a very sleezy way of operating. I’m very angry with American Express right now cause I feel like they lied in their multiple marketing letters for this offer. All I have is a screen shot of the offer when I applied online with the reservation code I was sent, but the screen shot doesn't have the actual reservation code.
So what is their explanation of why you aren't eligible for the bonus?

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 pm

The customer support person doesn't know for sure, but says I applied for the card a couple of years ago, which I did. I had the card a couple of months. I didn't get a miles bonus then. Moreover, there's nothing in the language of the application or terms/conditions that states you can't apply again for the card or that it prevents the applicant from receiving a bonus.

Post by 123 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 pm

From the terms and conditions:

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit the welcome bonus to, we may freeze the welcome bonus credited to, or we may take away the welcome bonus from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us."

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cred ... ffer-terms
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 pm

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 pm
The customer support person doesn't know for sure, but says I applied for the card a couple of years ago, which I did. I had the card a couple of months. I didn't get a miles bonus then. Moreover, there's nothing in the language of the application or terms/conditions that states you can't apply again for the card or that it prevents the applicant from receiving a bonus.
Unless you applied for a targeted offer that excludes the following language,

“Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.”

you will not be getting the bonus.

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 pm

I didn't do anything to game or misuse the card. What does that even mean ?

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:48 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 pm
DavidRoseMountain wrote:

“Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.”

It doesn't say that in my offer.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:12 pm

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:48 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
DavidRoseMountain wrote:

Post a copy of the offer please.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Amex almost always has lifetime language in their offers. Offers without the language are reported recently though.

Did you do anything out of the ordinary to reach the spend level, like gift card purchases?

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 pm

I don't know how to add attachments on here.

I paid federal income taxes to meet the bonus, but that is not specifically stated against as not meeting spending requirements.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 pm

First off in my experience with Amex (and I have a lot) their front line reps are not particularly well informed on aspects of bonus/awards/etc. I would put very little credence in anything they say. They basically have no idea why you aren't getting the bonus and may be offering what they think is the reason in order to "help" you.

Most likely you are being reviewed by the so called rewards abuse team (RAT--awesome acronym). Amex has decided to toughen up on folks who they feel are playing the system (at least to the extent that it is not profitable to Amex) and note you can be reviewed even if you have done nothing wrong. These reviews are said to take 6-8 weeks but they can take longer. I agree that paying taxes should be fine but by meeting spend quickly you may have subjected yourself to the machinations of the RAT as it is rumored quickly hitting the bonus spend requirement is one criteria for review. The front line folks know almost nothing about the RAT and you cannot speak to the RAT.

Did you have any returns and I mean any no matter how small? Any returns during period you have to reach the bonus spend is very likely to elicit RAT attention.

The above all assumes of course you are correct and your targeted terms did not contain the lifetime language.

Finally it could just be a hiccup on the Amex side. There have been cases in the last year of bonuses taking months to post for no good clearly defined reason beyond claims of a technical issue.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 pm

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:48 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
DavidRoseMountain wrote:

Amex cards have lifetime language unless you found one without it. Even if you did, Amex has been known to still not give the bonus. In the past year, the RAT team has been on a tear.

Post by 123 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:22 pm

You could elevate the issue by sending a written complaint hard-copy letter (with delivery tracking) to the president of American Express and/or Delta including a hard-copy of the offer terms you agree to. Companies have logs and records of what was on their website at various times so if they goofed it should be evident to them. Really a simple solution but it usually resolves things correctly.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:16 am

They did this to me on one card, somehow I never played the credit card game until recently, I didn’t have time nor the energy. I’m not sure if they’re lying to me or not. But my revenge was to close every AE card after I harvested the bonus point. Fair trade off, IMO.

solobuildingblogs

Post by solobuildingblogs » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:42 am

As a data point, I have obtained sign up bonus on Delta AMEX gold twice before the once in a lifetime rule.

In December 2017 I received a flyer in the mail offering me 70,000 Delta points for $3000 spend on Delta amex gold. Nowhere was there language stating that if I received the offer before that I would be excluded from the bonus. A quick google search showed that others DID get the bonus.

I applied and got the 70,000 miles, yippee! I am a HUGE credit card churner and have seven AMEX cards. All of my spending is legit and I don't play any games like buying gift cards, maximizing categories or manufactured spending. I do charge estimated taxes to help meet spend sometimes but my business blue is my go- to card for business spending (coupled with AMEX biz plat equivalent of 3.08% back in travel on airline of your choice).

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:54 am

I'm a churner and I'm a bit wary of Amex.

Couple of things.

Amex offers typically (but not always) include "lifetime" language. Which means you aren't going to get the bonus twice, most of the time.

Amex has a "rewards abuse team" that will disallow a bonus based on certain behaviors. If you happened to meet the spending buying gift cards, they might deny your bonus. Issuers can sometimes see detailed information about your transactions, known as level 3 data. And sometimes it's obvious by the merchant you used, e.g. a $3,000 transaction from giftcardmall.com.

Read this:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/15-thing ... n-express/

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:54 am

Couple of things.

Amex offers typically (but not always) include "lifetime" language. Which means you aren't going to get the bonus twice, most of the time.

Amex has a "rewards abuse team" that will disallow a bonus based on certain behaviors. If you happened to meet the spending buying gift cards, they might deny your bonus. Issuers can sometimes see detailed information about your transactions, known as level 3 data. And sometimes it's obvious by the merchant you used, e.g. a $3,000 transaction from giftcardmall.com.

Read this:

Why would buying gift cards be a problem? It is still a purchase!

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:57 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 am
whodidntante wrote:

Couple of things.

Read this:

Why would buying gift cards be a problem? It is still a purchase!
Amex is cracking down on the Visa/Mastercard/Amex gift cards, not on, say, a Best Buy gift card. They don't believe it is a purchase even if it codes as one. It's just their rule.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 am

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 pm

I paid federal income taxes to meet the bonus, but that is not specifically stated against as not meeting spending requirements.
Let’s say you’re right and it doesn’t have the once per lifetime language (unlikely), the paying of federal income taxes is considered a cash equivalent and won’t qualify for bonus spend.

Amex is draconian about this stuff now.

awval999

Post by awval999 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:07 am

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
You're not getting the bonus.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:51 am

awval999 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:07 am
DavidRoseMountain wrote:
You're not getting the bonus.
+1. If you had the card in the past you will not receive the bonus for the remainder of your life. American Express only allows bonuses 1x per life per customer. The only argument you have is to tell them you didn't achieve the terms of the original offer and never received the bonus. But I doubt they'll have the records to corroborate your story.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:37 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 am

Let’s say you’re right and it doesn’t have the once per lifetime language (unlikely), the paying of federal income taxes is considered a cash equivalent and won’t qualify for bonus spend.

Amex is draconian about this stuff now.
Unless you have a specific data point (Amex claimed such and not the front line reps) that is wrong. Many folks have paid taxes and received awards and I have not seen a single report the contrary. Even the Amex RAT hasn't gone so far as claiming paying your bills are cash equivalents.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 am

Without a doubt you are not getting the bonus because you had the card before. The language would be somewhere in the terms and conditions that you could have linked to. That would be a sentence in a few pages of text.

As far as I know paying income taxes is allowed spend for any credit card bonuses I am aware of.

smegal

Post by smegal » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:04 am

I have found Amex support on Twitter to be much more responsive than phone reps. They 'escalated' my claim and I got my Plat bonus (first time I had that card) within a few days.

IngognitoUSA

Post by IngognitoUSA » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 am

Treating customers this way is guaranteed to cost more in customer acquisition in the future.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:18 am

IngognitoUSA wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 am
Treating customers this way is guaranteed to cost more in customer acquisition in the future.
There is a long story here where AMEX has arrived over time at a firm policy of once in a lifetime bonuses. It would be hard to say what the calculation is for them. There is an issue that not all possible customers are really aware of this sort of policy and how it has evolved over time. What is not in doubt is that the credit card industry has pulled back from the liberal terms once available and taken measures to significantly reduce bonus churning. Some companies are more liberal in only requiring that it be two years since an actual bonus was received. Chase has a 5x24 policy on new card bonuses. In another department the once liberal new account bonuses at Fidelity seem to be gone now.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:24 am

OP, did you speak to a supervisor? If not, that may be worth a try. Even if they are not going to give you the bonus, a supervisor should be able to get you the reason. The first line of customer support is usually pretty lousy.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 am

Regarding the once and done limit for Amex bonuses, there are targeted offers that do not include the once per lifetime restriction. I recently received 50,000 miles for $2000 spend from one such offer that was emailed to me, even though I previously got 35,000 miles for the same Delta gold card many years ago.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2 ... on-offers/
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 am

jeffyscott wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 am
Regarding the once and done limit for Amex bonuses, there are targeted offers that do not include the once per lifetime restriction. I recently received 50,000 miles for $2000 spend from one such offer that was emailed to me, even though I previously got 35,000 miles for the same Delta gold card many years ago.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2 ... on-offers/
Yes, that can happen, and Chase, for example, exempts some affiliation cards from 5 x 24 as well.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 am

whodidntante wrote:

Couple of things.

Read this:
Interesting, I never did buy any gift card, unless it’s $50 Starbucks or Target at Xmas time.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:03 am

I ran into a similar situation with AmEx - received a "you're pre-approved" offer in the mail. I called to make sure I was eligible for the bonus and was assured that I was. When the bonus didn't post I was told that I had the card previously and didn't qualify. I got no where with a CFPB complaint, Twitter post and finally spoke with someone in the corporate office. They gave me a long song-and-dance that because I couldn't supply the name of the person who said I was eligible for the bonus - no dice. They gave me a $25 card credit for my trouble. This episode left a very bitter taste in my mouth with AmEx.
My complaint centered around "Why do you target market people with large bonus offerings when they are not eligible for them"? Corporate said their computers weren't able to distinguish this. BULL!

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:39 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:03 am
I ran into a similar situation with AmEx - received a "you're pre-approved" offer in the mail. I called to make sure I was eligible for the bonus and was assured that I was. When the bonus didn't post I was told that I had the card previously and didn't qualify.
Being phone-phobic, I would have confirmed via chat (since they don't have email), that also has the added bonus that you can save a record of the chat session. Facebook message might be another way to contact them and have a record of what you were told.

However, if the offer included terms and conditions, like this:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cred ... ffer-terms
They do clearly state that: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

I do agree that if they can distinguish who is eligible after-the-fact, they could also do so before mailing the offer or at least after applying. Upon application submittal why not say something like: "we see you applied for this card with a bonus offer, we can approve your application, however you will not qualify for the bonus as you have or previously have had this product"?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:52 am

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
It's likely AMEX is correct. They remember even cards from so long ago you might not remember having them. Also I would't have counted on paying taxes to meet the bonus; I'd do ordinary retail transactions, although other cards would give you a better value on those. I don't know that taxes wouldn't work but I'd be suspicious. I'd chalk it up to the price of buying the bonus. I might get that card again some day for the benefits, but know that I won't get a bonus since I had it in the early '90s.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:56 am

Concerning taxes see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit- ... -card.html

Flyertalk is the go-to on mileage programs.

investorpeter

Post by investorpeter » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 am

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Exact same thing happened to me. I assumed that since I received the promotional mail that I was eligible for the bonus miles. I believe the first year fee was waived so there was no real financial loss for me once I cancelled the card. But there was a loss for AmEx. In addition to cancelling the Delta card, I also cancelled my AmEx Gold Card that I had since college and decided not to upgarde to the Amex Platinum. In addition to this sloppy/unethical marketing, I had noticed a significant slide in customer service in AmEx over the years. I used to immediately get routed to a native English speaking live person when I called customer service. In the past couple of years, I got routed to someone with a heavy foreign accent who was obviously reading from a script and who could not help me at all when I had some fraudulent charges (yet another reason to cancel the card). Chase Sapphire has pretty much replaced my AmEx in terms of being the card that I use for travel benefits or when I am making a purchase where I would like the credit card company to "have my back" in case I have a problem with the merchant. It seems that a lot of the other premier cards have taken away the high end market from AmEx. And AmEx has shifted towards being a more of a lower end, low cost credit card provider. Maybe these cost control practices are better for the bottom line in the short term, but in my opinion, they are incredibly short sighted in terms of diminishing the brand prestige that took decades and billions to build.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:44 am

investorpeter wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 am
DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Exact same thing happened to me. I assumed that since I received the promotional mail that I was eligible for the bonus miles. I believe the first year fee was waived so there was no real financial loss for me once I cancelled the card. But there was a loss for AmEx. In addition to cancelling the Delta card, I also cancelled my AmEx Gold Card that I had since college and decided not to upgarde to the Amex Platinum. In addition to this sloppy/unethical marketing, I had noticed a significant slide in customer service in AmEx over the years. I used to immediately get routed to a native English speaking live person when I called customer service. In the past couple of years, I got routed to someone with a heavy foreign accent who was obviously reading from a script and who could not help me at all when I had some fraudulent charges (yet another reason to cancel the card). Chase Sapphire has pretty much replaced my AmEx in terms of being the card that I use for travel benefits or when I am making a purchase where I would like the credit card company to "have my back" in case I have a problem with the merchant. It seems that a lot of the other premier cards have taken away the high end market from AmEx. And AmEx has shifted towards being a more of a lower end, low cost credit card provider. Maybe these cost control practices are better for the bottom line in the short term, but in my opinion, they are incredibly short sighted in terms of diminishing the brand prestige that took decades and billions to build.
Chase won't help you not get mired in boarding group 3. The old back-of-the-plane theory used to work but now it doesn't matter. And Chase won't get you a free checked bag.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:46 am

jeffyscott wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:39 am

Being phone-phobic, I would have confirmed via chat (since they don't have email), that also has the added bonus that you can save a record of the chat session. Facebook message might be another way to contact them and have a record of what you were told.
Just an FYI that is no guarantee I have seen reports (as in more than one) of folks who had chat records saying they were eligible for some Amex bonus. They didn't get it and when the went to the Executive Office/Consumer Financial Protection Board. Amex acknowledged their representative had (incorrectly) confirmed eligibility but that they were wrong and too bad because the customer still wasn't getting the bonus. Hence part of the reason I warned about not trusting anything their front line folks say about bonuses. Still a record of a chat is better than nothing.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:51 am

I agree Amex's approach is very sloppy in targeting folks with offers they aren't eligible for but in some ways I prefer to Chase's more "hardcore" 5/24 policy. I generally don't churn cards in the sense that I'll generally only go for a card if it is a keeper to me. There are some cards with benefits I'd take even without a sign up bonus from Chase but cannot get until I fall below 5/24 (which is actually pretty soon). So I prefer Amex's approach but I agree for folks who don't do credit card games as a hobby it is a great way to lose a customer.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:04 am

THY4373 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:46 am
Just an FYI that is no guarantee I have seen reports (as in more than one) of folks who had chat records saying they were eligible for some Amex bonus. They didn't get it and when the went to the Executive Office/Consumer Financial Protection Board. Amex acknowledged their representative had (incorrectly) confirmed eligibility but that they were wrong and too bad because the customer still wasn't getting the bonus. Hence part of the reason I warned about not trusting anything their front line folks say about bonuses. Still a record of a chat is better than nothing.
I got this card late last year and the bonus posted. Before applying, I did use the chat feature to ask them to list all the cards I ever had with them because I vaguely remembered having had some Delta Amex card maybe 10-15 years ago. The list did not include the card. I did not ask them to confirm anything about bonus eligibility. The general understanding seems to be that Amex’ definition of “ever had the card” looks back about seven or eight years.

If I had faced the situation in your quote, I would have filed a complaint with the CFPB.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:08 am

THY4373 wrote:

Thanks for the tip/warning.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:17 am

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (credit card).
DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 pm
Attachments are not permitted in this forum. You can link to an image hosting site. See: Posting images in the Bogleheads forum Before you upload the image, be sure that all personally identifiable information has been removed.

================================

Before this thread gets derailed into a rant about AmEx, please remove the emotion and state your concerns in civil, factual manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:20 am

Something similar happened to me. Got the Amex card with the promise of 50,000 miles, but the following year I balked at paying the annual fee and canceled, never got the miles. Flash forward about five years later, I was disenchanted with my bank Visa card and decided to give Amex gold another shot. Quite unannounced, after the first year anniversary of getting the second card, I suddenly received an extra 50,000 miles. DH was quite envious--especially since we had just depleted all his miles for a trip.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:22 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:04 am
THY4373 wrote:
I got this card late last year and the bonus posted. Before applying, I did use the chat feature to ask them to list all the cards I ever had with them because I vaguely remembered having had some Delta Amex card maybe 10-15 years ago. The list did not include the card. I did not ask them to confirm anything about bonus eligibility. The general understanding seems to be that Amex’ definition of “ever had the card” looks back about seven or eight years.

If I had faced the situation in your quote, I would have filed a complaint with the CFPB.
They knew about my Delta Amex from more than 7 or 8 years ago long ago.

IngognitoUSA

Post by IngognitoUSA » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am

They have been in cost saving phase for a few years. Eventually management will move back to customer growth and start handing out sign on bonus. I think they recoup their sign on bonus cost with the fees from minimum spend.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 am

I find the outrage here puzzling. Isn’t it reasonable for a credit card company not to cater to customers who are avid churners or are applying for products just to play a “rewards game?” Maybe I’m missing something, but aren’t those exactly the sort of customers those firms would not want to recruit and retain?

Getting angry about policies that are designed to prevent churning and game-playing strikes me as an example of unreasonable entitlement — why should we expect those companies to support that behavior?

From a personal finance standpoint, devoting energy instead learning how to (1) increase earned income, (2) invest more effectively, or (3) consume less seems more constructive than trying to game the credit card system — and especially so when credit card companies are pushing back against that game-playing.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:41 am

I'm not a fan of AMEX if it involves bonuses. A couple of years ago, we applied for one of their bonus cards that would supposedly give us 6% cash back on grocery purchases. Before we took out the card, we specifically asked one of their reps if our local grocery store would qualify for this, and they said that it would. We later found that to be completely wrong, which meant that we got no benefit from the card at all, and AMEX wasn't interested in doing anything about it.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:39 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 am
I find the outrage here puzzling. Isn’t it reasonable for a credit card company not to cater to customers who are avid churners or are applying for products just to play a “rewards game?” Maybe I’m missing something, but aren’t those exactly the sort of customers those firms would not want to recruit and retain?

Getting angry about policies that are designed to prevent churning and game-playing strikes me as an example of unreasonable entitlement — why should we expect those companies to support that behavior?

From a personal finance standpoint, devoting energy instead learning how to (1) increase earned income, (2) invest more effectively, or (3) consume less seems more constructive than trying to game the credit card system — and especially so when credit card companies are pushing back against that game-playing.
I think the issue folks have is they get targeted offers they aren't qualified for and don't find out until after they have likely paid AF and done spend. This doesn't catch churnners who are generally aware of terms but rather normal customers. Yes they could read the terms and should but of course they don't.

As to the profitability of credit card arbitrage you have no idea how profitable it can be and I manage to do all the other items you highlight as well they aren't mutually exclusive.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Those are good points. It isn’t a hobby I would choose, but I understand why others find it attractive.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:58 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:39 pm
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 am
I think the issue folks have is they get targeted offers they aren't qualified for and don't find out until after they have likely paid AF and done spend. This doesn't catch churnners who are generally aware of terms but rather normal customers. Yes they could read the terms and should but of course they don't.

As to the profitability of credit card arbitrage you have no idea how profitable it can be and I manage to do all the other items you highlight as well they aren't mutually exclusive.
They also aren't pushing back that hard, at least not if you do a handful of cards per year and don't manufacture spending.

My spouse got 50,000 AA miles and 55,000 United miles last year, despite having had both cards before. I got the targeted Delta offer for 60,000 despite having had the card before. I also got 60,000 SW points, despite having had their cards twice before. Those airline points/miles are probably worth at least $3000. I also passed on a target offer to get United card, despite having had it before.

For new cards, wife got 80,000 IHG points and I got 80,000 Hilton and 40,000 Choice. I think that's it for the past year. We have probably averaged around 10,000 points per night in our usage of hotel points, I value a generic night at about $80. So those are worth maybe around $1500 to us.

We spent about $25,000 over the past 12 months, so the ~$4500 represents 18% of all spending. The actual required spending to earn the bonuses was about $15,000 for all those cards, so it's about a 30% rebate.

I do keep cards when the benefit of keeping is worth the cost, so will keep the no fee Hilton and Choice cards, as well as the IHG card ($49 fee with a free night). None of the airline cards are worth keeping for us.

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:39 pm

Shame on me for not keeping up with all the posts. I will respond soon.