Best Available 2018 tax estimator

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Ged

Best Available 2018 tax estimator

Post by Ged »

I'm trying to work out my budget for 2018 that will likely include some one-off expenses. I'm in retirement now so I want to figure out how to space out these expenses, likely to be paid for from highly appreciated stock or IRAs so as to not get into higher tax brackets.

So to do this I need a good tax estimator, ideally one that has some knowledge of state (NJ) as well as Federal taxes.

Any recommendations?
boglesmind

Re: Best Available 2018 tax estimator

Post by boglesmind »

Ged wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm I'm trying to work out my budget for 2018 that will likely include some one-off expenses. I'm in retirement now so I want to figure out how to space out these expenses, likely to be paid for from highly appreciated stock or IRAs so as to not get into higher tax brackets.

So to do this I need a good tax estimator, ideally one that has some knowledge of state (NJ) as well as Federal taxes.

Any recommendations?
For Federal taxes, see "2018 Federal Income Tax Planner"

No idea about NJ tax planner.

Boglesmind
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

It's hard to find 2018 inome tax calculators this early, especially ones that include SS income as an option. This is the only one I found https://www.mortgagecalculator.org/calc ... ulator.php
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
boglesmind

Post by boglesmind »

boglesmind wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:22 pm
Ged wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm I'm trying to work out my budget for 2018 that will likely include some one-off expenses. I'm in retirement now so I want to figure out how to space out these expenses, likely to be paid for from highly appreciated stock or IRAs so as to not get into higher tax brackets.

Any recommendations?
For Federal taxes, see "2018 Federal Income Tax Planner"

No idea about NJ tax planner.

Boglesmind
The above spreadsheet apparently handles social security income. See "Excel1040 -- Income Tax Spreadsheet Instructions for Use", item 8 under Instructions
8.Enter any Social Security income reported on Form SSA-1099 on the tab labeled 'SSA-1099'.

Boglesmind
PS: No firsthand experience with reporting SS income using the above spreadsheet
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Ged wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm So to do this I need a good tax estimator, ideally one that has some knowledge of state (NJ) as well as Federal taxes.
The personal finance toolbox spreadsheet fits that description very well.

In other words, it will likely get federal taxes spot on, but may not be exact (i.e., it "has some knowledge") for state taxes.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

The HR Block tax calculator produces a 2018 result along w/ 2017. (fed only)
jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu »

the excel 1040 spreadsheet above - anyone know if there’s a form or schedule or whatever in there that deals with the 199A pass thru deduction? Can’t seem to find anything.

Of course I can estimate the deduction myself and just reduce my K1 number by 20%. Just wondered if there’s a form or something I’m missing
Topic Author
Ged

Post by Ged »

FiveK wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:43 pm
Ged wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm So to do this I need a good tax estimator, ideally one that has some knowledge of state (NJ) as well as Federal taxes.
The personal finance toolbox spreadsheet fits that description very well.

In other words, it will likely get federal taxes spot on, but may not be exact (i.e., it "has some knowledge") for state taxes.
Thanks to all who replied. The above spreadsheet seems to do what I need.
tcwrites

Post by tcwrites »

I need to play with deductible health insurance premiums as an adjustment to my AGI.My husband and I are self-employed and can deduct all of our health insurance premiums. I'm using the above calculator from the Personal Finance Toolbox.

I know I need to add it as a line item in "Subtractions for AGI." But can anyone explain what Excel formula I'd need to use if I REPLACE the alimony item with "deductible health ins prems." I'm not an Excel expert. Thanks in advance!
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

tcwrites wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:56 pm I need to play with deductible health insurance premiums as an adjustment to my AGI.My husband and I are self-employed and can deduct all of our health insurance premiums. I'm using the above calculator from the Personal Finance Toolbox.

I know I need to add it as a line item in "Subtractions for AGI." But can anyone explain what Excel formula I'd need to use if I REPLACE the alimony item with "deductible health ins prems." I'm not an Excel expert. Thanks in advance!
Not familiar with deductibility rules for self-employed health insurance premiums, but if they are a simple subtraction on the way to AGI, just entering the amount on the line that says "alimony" should work. The word "alimony" is irrelevant to the calculations, so you could replace it with "SE health premiums" or "ABC XYZ", etc.
tcwrites

Post by tcwrites »

Thanks! They are, indeed, a simple subtraction off of AGI. I will just replace "Alimony" as you suggested.

One other Q on kids on the tax estimator:

- Child Tax Credit/ now Family Tax Credit:I see spots for entering minor children, but I don't see a $1,000 deduction showing up. Am I missing something?
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

tcwrites wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:29 pm One other Q on kids on the tax estimator:

- Child Tax Credit/ now Family Tax Credit:I see spots for entering minor children, but I don't see a $1,000 deduction showing up. Am I missing something?
Assuming you are using a 2018 version (e.g., cell Q1 on the Instructions tab is V11.07), the CTC should be in cells G23 and/or G28. If it's not there, then more information is needed (e.g., what have you entered?).
tcwrites

Post by tcwrites »

Thanks, yes, I'm on the 2018 form.

CTC in cell G23 is actually "College Tax Credit" of $2,500 for the American Opportunity Tax Credit. I've got that filled in.It's based on cells R56 and 57. It's got to be the AOTC because of the amount.

The Family Tax Credit (formerly Child Tax Credit)...I have filled in 1 dependent in cell G4 for kids under age 17. But I don't see where that info is used. And my understanding is that it should generate a $1,600 credit (1000 of it refundable). But I don't see that credit showing up on the sheet anywhere. ??

Thanks again for helping!
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

tcwrites wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 pm CTC in cell G23 is actually "College Tax Credit" of $2,500 for the American Opportunity Tax Credit. I've got that filled in.It's based on cells R56 and 57. It's got to be the AOTC because of the amount.

The Family Tax Credit (formerly Child Tax Credit)...I have filled in 1 dependent in cell G4 for kids under age 17. But I don't see where that info is used. And my understanding is that it should generate a $1,600 credit (1000 of it refundable). But I don't see that credit showing up on the sheet anywhere.
Hmmm...?

MFJ with one dependent age 12 or under? If so, there should be 2, 1, 1, 1, 1 in cells G2 through G6 respectively. For more dependents or different age, adjust accordingly.

The CTC is the Child Tax Credit, and that is what cells R54-R61 calculate. See What is the "more favorable interpretation of the new law"? and a few posts below that for background on cell S61. The AOTC is calculated in the box starting in Y55.

To see what cells are used where, first unprotect the sheet: Review>Unprotect Sheet. There is no password. Click in a cell (e.g., G4). The click Formulas>Trace Dependents. That should show something similar to
and one can follow the arrows to see where the cell is used.

I've used this enough to answer at least some questions about it, and am happy to do so. Deep questions and/or requests for changes may be better posted on the MMM site. Good luck!
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

Thank you boglesmind for recommending the "Mortgage Calculator". That worked out perfect for me.
Last edited by Almost there on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Almost there wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 pm boglesmind wrote:

Thank you for recommending the "Mortgage Calculator". That worked out perfect for me.
Note: that one allows $2K/child as a refundable credit. The law allows $1.4K. No idea how well it does everything else, but that was the first thing I tried, so....
BuyAndHoldOn

Post by BuyAndHoldOn »

For those with simple tax situations, this site is pretty straightforward. You have to do your own accounting for things like the 401k, Health Savings Account, etc. --> But that's a simple subtraction from Wages/Other Taxable Income for me.

https://www.olt.com/main/home/taxestimator.asp
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
segfault

Post by segfault »

AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn »

Very happy with dinkytown.net estimators as well. Have used them for several years for doing estimated taxes.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Do any of these 2018 tax estimators handle the 20% deduction/exclusion for self employment income?
De gustibus non disputandum est
3funder

Post by 3funder »

Any recommendations?
IRS estimator is fine. Unfortunately, my wife and I had the same question about state and haven't had much luck. Our state (MD) has an estimator for small business owners, though.
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
feehater

Post by feehater »

cadreamer2015 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:55 am Do any of these 2018 tax estimators handle the 20% deduction/exclusion for self employment income?
I have not found one yet. I think this I'd because the irs has not yet issued final guidance on exactly where on the form/how this is going to work.
swyck

Post by swyck »

Glad I found this thread. I just retired and OMG it was hard to find any information on how to actually estimate my taxes. I found all sorts of articles and blogs talking about this and that, and IF you have A and IF you have B, and so one and so forth. But not ONE had info on how to actually do it.

My situation is fairly simple. I have A, B, and C. THE END. I don't have D or E or F. I know EXACTLY how much income I have, and I just wanted to plug those numbers in, or see some formula and do it myself, but no.

I was not interested in discussions about maybe this or maybe that. I mean that would have been OK if they ended with a formula for how to do it, but they pretty much end with a "you'd better do this or there may be PENALTIES. Good luck, we're counting on you."

Then I thought of searching Bogleheads, "Yeah, someone there will know." I was right. Both mortgagecalculator and dinkytown seem to be what I need, in fact they look identical I assume they're from the same source.

Once I found this thread, and used those links, it was simple to calculate my estimated taxes. It doesn't have to be accurate down to the penny, just get me in the ball park.

As and aside, I just get ticked every year on how difficult it is to actually do your taxes.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

The Dinkytown calculator is also available here:
https://www.jacksonhewitt.com/tax-tools ... alculator/

I notice that if you have SS income, the calculator indicates which federal tax bracket you are in, but it does not indicate your true marginal bracket (taking into consideration the SS tax hump).

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

cadreamer2015 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:55 am Do any of these 2018 tax estimators handle the 20% deduction/exclusion for self employment income?
QBI Pass-through deduction in the case study spreadsheet mentions the addition of these calculations to that tool (aka the personal finance toolbox spreadsheet) a couple of weeks ago. It also mentions that much remains unclear for certain situations.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

vtMaps wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:26 am The Dinkytown calculator is also available here:
https://www.jacksonhewitt.com/tax-tools ... alculator/

I notice that if you have SS income, the calculator indicates which federal tax bracket you are in, but it does not indicate your true marginal bracket (taking into consideration the SS tax hump).

--vtMaps
Assuming the Dinkytown calculator is the same as the mortgage calculator which is so easy to use and do what-ifs because it's all on a single page, calculating your true marginal bracket w/ SS is pretty easy tho. Just became aware of it this yr and I like it better than the others I've used (Taxcaster/HR Block).
Electron

Post by Electron »

I have my projected 2018 taxes calculated in a spreadsheet and just tested several of the tools mentioned in this thread. The Mortgage Calculator and Dinkytown Calculator are very easy to use and I like these tools.

My return is quite complex and the results of each calculator matched my spreadsheet right to the dollar. That is great to see as it verifies my spreadsheet. However, I then added a large capital gain to test the Alternative Minimum Tax. The two calculators provided the same result but the AMT was off by $100 compared with my spreadsheet. I then tested the tool from TaxAct selecting 2018 and their result matches my spreadsheet exactly.

https://www.taxact.com/tools/tax-calculator

I also tested the online tool from H&R Block. That is also a nice tool but the 2017 and 2018 results were both incorrect for the AMT case.
Enjoying the Outdoors
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

Electron wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:15 pm I have my projected 2018 taxes calculated in a spreadsheet and just tested several of the tools mentioned in this thread. The Mortgage Calculator and Dinkytown Calculator are very easy to use and I like these tools.

My return is quite complex and the results of each calculator matched my spreadsheet right to the dollar. That is great to see as it verifies my spreadsheet. However, I then added a large capital gain to test the Alternative Minimum Tax. The two calculators provided the same result but the AMT was off by $100 compared with my spreadsheet. I then tested the tool from TaxAct selecting 2018 and their result matches my spreadsheet exactly.

https://www.taxact.com/tools/tax-calculator

I also tested the online tool from H&R Block. That is also a nice tool but the 2017 and 2018 results were both incorrect for the AMT case.
so the score is now 2 to 2 (or perhaps 1 to 2 if mortgage/dinkytown are the same creation). To settle the tie,
perhaps you could confer w/ the creator of the problem calculator and figure out who went wrong how.
I am told that it isn't trivial to determine how to do that so pls post contact details if you find out how.
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Do any of these tools handle prior year AMT credits? With the changes I’m hoping to finally be able to use some of the credits to do a bigger Roth conversion but haven’t found an estimator yet that has the capability.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
Electron

Post by Electron »

BigJohn wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:20 pm Do any of these tools handle prior year AMT credits? With the changes I’m hoping to finally be able to use some of the credits to do a bigger Roth conversion but haven’t found an estimator yet that has the capability.
You'll probably need to wait for availability of a full tax program.

However, you could use one of the online 2018 tax programs for the Form 1040 numbers and then manually fill out IRS Forms 8801 and 6251. Use the 2018 AMT Exemption and Threshold amounts which are available today.
Enjoying the Outdoors
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

Yea, that was my thinking as well but thought I’d ask.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

It's not comprehensive, but I've found this estimator to be useful in making back-of-the-envelope estimates.

https://taxfoundation.org/2018-tax-reform-calculator/
Electron

Post by Electron »

kaneohe wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:42 pmSo the score is now 2 to 2 (or perhaps 1 to 2 if mortgage/dinkytown are the same creation). To settle the tie, perhaps you could confer w/ the creator of the problem calculator and figure out who went wrong how.
It looks like the Mortgage Calculator and Dinkytown Calculator are reporting the correct AMT. I discovered that my tax spreadsheet was not incorporating the state tax refund properly under AMT when taking the Standard Deduction. This now puts the online TaxAct tool into question since it matched my spreadsheet result for the AMT case.

There may be a minor problem with the Mortgage Calculator and Dinkytown Calculator in another area. When you click "View Report" the program generates a long table displaying all the results. There are sections that display "Total tax before credits" and "Total tax after credits". Those two numbers are different in my case despite having no tax credits.
Enjoying the Outdoors
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Electron wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 am
kaneohe wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:42 pmSo the score is now 2 to 2 (or perhaps 1 to 2 if mortgage/dinkytown are the same creation). To settle the tie, perhaps you could confer w/ the creator of the problem calculator and figure out who went wrong how.
It looks like the Mortgage Calculator and Dinkytown Calculator are reporting the correct AMT. I discovered that my tax spreadsheet was not incorporating the state tax refund properly under AMT when taking the Standard Deduction. This now puts the online TaxAct tool into question since it matched my spreadsheet result for the AMT case.

There may be a minor problem with the Mortgage Calculator and Dinkytown Calculator in another area. When you click "View Report" the program generates a long table displaying all the results. There are sections that display "Total tax before credits" and "Total tax after credits". Those two numbers are different in my case despite having no tax credits.
You could throw the two commonly noted spreadsheets, 2018 Federal Income Tax Estimator and the personal finance toolbox into the mix if interested....
Electron

Post by Electron »

FiveK wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pmYou could throw the two commonly noted spreadsheets, 2018 Federal Income Tax Estimator and the personal finance toolbox into the mix if interested....
Those both look like helpful resources. I ran my AMT test case with both spreadsheets and unfortunately the results did not appear correct in either case. The 2018 Federal Income Tax Estimator still had 2017 capital gain thresholds on Form 6251 which is being corrected. It looks like the corrected result will match my spreadsheet.

The Cash Flow Spreadsheet appears to have incorrect capital gains thresholds on Line 43 and Line 49 of Form 6251. The spreadsheet also appears to require special handling of state tax refunds. I corrected the capital gains thresholds and added the state tax refund as a negative number on Form 6251. The corrected result now matches my spreadsheet.
Enjoying the Outdoors
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

Electron wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 am

I had a similar problem w/ the Child tax credit.......another poster commented that it gave the wrong amount and I was just playing around. When I changed $$ numbers, it looked like the results changed immediately but when I changed the number of kids, the child credit did strange things including remaining >0 when the kids went to 0.....
maybe I didn't do something I was supposed to do to update. I used your contact info to send some feedback but silence so far......
Electron

Post by Electron »

kaneohe wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:56 pmI used your contact info to send some feedback but silence so far......
I hope they eventually respond. One unknown is who controls the source code for that calculator.

It's unfortunate that just about every tax program and calculator has issues. One difficult area has always been the deductions on Foreign Tax Form 1116 with different tax programs handling the deductions differently. With the tax law changes for 2018, there will likely be a long list of software and implementation problems to work out early next year!
Enjoying the Outdoors
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

Electron wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:23 pm
kaneohe wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:56 pmI used your contact info to send some feedback but silence so far......
I hope they eventually respond. One unknown is who controls the source code for that calculator.

It's unfortunate that just about every tax program and calculator has issues. One difficult area has always been the deductions on Foreign Tax Form 1116 with different tax programs handling the deductions differently. With the tax law changes for 2018, there will likely be a long list of software and implementation problems to work out early next year!
According to Case Study Spreadsheet updates, it appears your comment about that tool was heeded: "Fixed the AMT breakpoints for capital gains on the Form6251 tab (thanks to Boglehead Electron)."
Electron

Post by Electron »

FiveK wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:17 pmAccording to Case Study Spreadsheet updates, it appears your comment about that tool was heeded: "Fixed the AMT breakpoints for capital gains on the Form6251 tab (thanks to Boglehead Electron)."
That's a great surprise as I didn't know how to provide feedback on that spreadsheet. I'm now feeling pretty good with both updated spreadsheets matching my spreadsheet on the AMT test case. The Mortgage Calculator and Dinkytown Calculator also provide the same results. I did not include any Foreign Tax Credit because of the complexity and the fact that the AMT Version of Form 1116 is usually only available in full tax programs. The good news with the AMT is that very few people will be affected under the new tax law.
Enjoying the Outdoors
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

Almost there wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 pm Thank you boglesmind for recommending the "Mortgage Calculator". That worked out perfect for me.
Where do you put in 401k contributions in this one? I just subtracted from gross since no category seemed to fit.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

HornedToad wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:59 pm
Almost there wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 pm Thank you boglesmind for recommending the "Mortgage Calculator". That worked out perfect for me.
Where do you put in 401k contributions in this one? I just subtracted from gross since no category seemed to fit.
There generally is no category for 401K contributions since your W2 will report the Federal gross (net of 401K contributions and other pre-tax deductions).
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

kaneohe wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:59 pm
There generally is no category for 401K contributions since your W2 will report the Federal gross (net of 401K contributions and other pre-tax deductions).
That's not a problem for a high earner, but is an issue if the saver's credit is pertinent for the taxpayer.
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

Right, but for a W2 calculator or take home pay calculator it'd be convenient as a separate line item.. oh well, I can just subtract from gross.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

FiveK wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:39 pm
That's not a problem for a high earner, but is an issue if the saver's credit is pertinent for the taxpayer.
Good point.........looks like you have to figure the credits yourself from the relevant forms which are given by the calculator. The HR Block tax calculator and Taxcaster do the calculations for some of the credits.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

kaneohe wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:48 pm Good point.........looks like you have to figure the credits yourself from the relevant forms which are given by the calculator. The HR Block tax calculator and Taxcaster do the calculations for some of the credits.
Don't know about H&RB but Taxcaster doesn't do the saver's credit.