Capital One is replacing bank branches with coffee shops & ATMs. Wave of the future?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
normaldude

Capital One is replacing bank branches with coffee shops & ATMs. Wave of the future?

Post by normaldude » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Capital One is closing bank branches.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/capital-one-s- ... e-banking/

https://www.mysanantonio.com/business/l ... 039891.php

https://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2017/36 ... 08-bx.html

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 4a094.html

And instead, Capital One is opening up coffee shops, with free wifi, and enhanced ATMs (that can accept cash & check deposits). 50% off beverages if you use a Capital One credit/debit card.

http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-c ... als-2017-2

https://thefinancialbrand.com/61682/cap ... fe-design/

It appears that they're also placing enhanced ATMs in Target stores, shopping malls, hotel lobbies, and other locations.

So the new business models seems to be:

- Get rid of the physical bank branches, bank tellers, etc.

- Move all customers towards CapitalOne360 online bank accounts, where people can do 95% of their banking via web & smartphone.

- Plant enhanced ATM machines around the country, in coffee shops, Target stores, shopping malls, hotel lobbies, etc, just in case people need to make cash deposits.

- Thus, eliminate the need for someone to maintain a brick & mortar bank account. I guess if people need a notary signature, they can use libraries & UPS stores. The biggest weakness will be cashier's checks (CapitalOne360 can FedEx a cashier's check, but sometimes a person needs a cashier's check NOW).

How successful do you think this business model will be?

Do you think the big 4 banks (Citi, Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo) will do the same, and start phasing out physical bank branches?

Personally, I'd like to see Schwab place enhanced ATM machines in their branch offices, so Schwab checking customers have a place to deposit cash.

anil686

Re: Capital One is replacing bank branches with coffee shops & ATMs. Wave of the future?

Post by anil686 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Not sure how successful but it would be hard for it to be not successful if you know what I mean...

I would expect them to do better than brick and mortar banks b/c labor is probably the biggest expense they have and like so many other industries - it behooves them to become more efficient leveraging technology. I think for the customers - I would like it. If they have super fast Wifi and are located near places where I need to spend an hour (for example oil changes) - I would probably sit in there versus the Honda dealer. As far as the other services such as notary services - would not be a deal breaker for me since I have never used that service there. A medallion signature is a bigger deal and I don’t know how they would offer that.

As for the other banks - I am not sure. You would need a really good tech platform (which I am sure they probably all have) and would not be surprised if they did something similar while consolidating people at maybe 1-2 branches in a metro area. Maybe like the apple store - they may have the ability to set up appts for things like a medallion signature or notary on line - but it looks really cool...

tranquility

Re: Capital One is replacing bank branches with coffee shops & ATMs. Wave of the future?

Post by tranquility » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 pm

We love online banking and it’s been over 13years since we visited one. Personally we don’t see us visiting even this new type of bank office. Also in some countries even ATM’s + cash are on the decline as online/mobile payments take off.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Not much need for physical banks or paper money anymore.

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:40 am

I'd be fine seeing brick and mortar banks disappear. Not really much of a need for them any more. I don't remember the last time I went into my bank, and I drive by it several times a day.

junior

Post by junior » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am

I need a brick and mortar bank to get quarters for parking. Otherwise I mostly use online banks.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 am

Better that they do it before Amazon does.

The first article does say that you can meet with a rep in the "cafe", so I assume they will be able to do basic stuff like deposits and signatures. You will have to go online to do loans and such, which is fine with me.
Last edited by aristotelian on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:52 am

tranquility wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 pm
We love online banking and it’s been over 13years since we visited one. Personally we don’t see us visiting even this new type of bank office. Also in some countries even ATM’s + cash are on the decline as online/mobile payments take off.
Agreed. Looks neat I guess but still wouldn’t draw me in. I wonder what level of success they’ll ultimately have? I generally avoid places that only accept cash so the ATM is not a draw and if anyone tastes that coffee let me know how it is!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am

ING Direct pioneered this model in multiple countries. Capital One purchased the United States ING Direct subsidiary a few years ago when the European Commission required ING to sell it. It is not surprising that Capital One is expanding this model they learned from their purchase, including the existing ING Direct-->Capital One 360 cafés in Wilmington, Philadelphia, Boston, etc.

Besides getting rid of traditional operations, this also relieves Capital One of banking requirements where they operate a café instead of a legal bank branch. In addition they will no longer have to worry about Community Reinvestment Act and other requirements requiring them to make loans in the same communities they take deposits, because they aren't actually accepting deposits there under banking laws.

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:00 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am
Besides getting rid of traditional operations, this also relieves Capital One of banking requirements where they operate a café instead of a legal bank branch. In addition they will no longer have to worry about Community Reinvestment Act and other requirements requiring them to make loans in the same communities they take deposits, because they aren't actually accepting deposits there under banking laws.
Yeah, I imagine avoiding the banking regulatory burden is a big benefit.

Much easier for Capital One to enter a new state/city, if they're just planting down big enhanced ATM machines, rather than actual bank branches.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:00 pm

How successful?
It is the future and ,
The future is Now.

:arrow: :idea:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

sandramjet

Post by sandramjet » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:07 pm

I see 2 problems...
1) I don't drink coffee
2) Where do I go to get my Medallion signatures that Vanguard so often requires??

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:24 pm

sandramjet wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:07 pm
I see 2 problems...
1) I don't drink coffee
2) Where do I go to get my Medallion signatures that Vanguard so often requires??
1) When I watch their promo videos on youtube, they seem to be marketing the spaces as hangout spots with free wifi, for socializing & co-working, something that millennials want. For example, most digital nomads seem happy to spend extra money & travel time to work on their laptop in a cafe or co-working space, rather than just using the wifi in their hotel room.

20 years ago, I used to hangout at Barnes & Noble bookstores, and read books & magazines for free. Ebooks have killed off those hangout spots, so now maybe Capital One cafes could fill that void.

btw, I don't drink coffee either, but I'm not sure there is even a requirement to buy something. In any case, when I want to sit down at Starbucks and use their wifi, I usually buy something like a brownie, rather than coffee.

2) Yeah, anil686 brought up the medallion signature issue. Personally, the only investment firms I deal with are Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity. And Schwab & Fidelity have local branches that will do the medallion signature if they're part of the transaction.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:26 pm

My credit union has had no tellers at the branch locations for a couple of years now. Instead, if you are unable to complete your task via a regular ATM, you can go to a branch and interact with a live teller provided by video capable terminals. The tellers are part of a large pool at a central location that services all locations. I can only imagine the $$$ that the change brought. Much easier to staff one location than the 22 branch locations.

We needed some documents notarized a week or so ago, and went to our normal branch. There were three people there. You can still get some services like loan origination, opening accounts, notary services, but the branch employees have no access to money; they don't accept deposits, and they don't assist members with withdrawals.

I've been a member since August of 1973, and I've seen many changes. We are long past the needs for loans, and all our investments are at Vanguard.

The credit union has pretty well jumped on online services as they were developed, I have used several iterations of bill pay they offered thru the years, and my very limited use of the services are still 100% free. Though, the branch closest to me doesn't offer a safe deposit box. Certainly not a deal breaker.

I need to see if I had the opportunity for free coffee next time I visit. I did see pens and hard candy available for the taking. Didn't need either.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Pitfalls:

Safe Deposit Boxes?

Large Cash Withdrawals?

Bank Checks Instantly?

Medallion Signatures?

These are all services I periodically use. I guess I should consider a different bank than Capital One.

Lastrun

Post by Lastrun » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Actually not a bad idea. Make the branches a "third place"

See this wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

Have to give them credit for trying something innovative.

Whether it works . . . . .

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42 pm

El Greco wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm
Large Cash Withdrawals?
Cash-based businesses will still need bank branches.

But on a personal level, in my entire life, I don't think I've ever needed more than $1,000 in physical cash.

Online bank account debit cards typically can withdraw $1,000/day.

So if I have 3 online checking accounts (Schwab, CapitalOne360, Ally.com), I could withdraw $3,000/day from ATMs if needed.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 pm

My older Bro told me once that Branches are very expensive to establish and to maintain.
One needs to remember how a Bank makes money; The spread between the cost of money and the return on money loaned. The Branch is there to make loans and less so for collecting deposits.
Thus if you can make business by lowering overhead (automation) and sell a profitable item (coffee), the Bank can make a profit.
YMMV
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Lastrun wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 pm
Actually not a bad idea. Make the branches a "third place"

See this wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place

Have to give them credit for trying something innovative.

Whether it works . . . . .
Cool. I had never heard of the term "third place" before.

Some of the Capital One cafes have meeting rooms upstairs, that local businesses can reserve. Maybe eventually they could allow Capital One cardholders to rent the meeting rooms for cheap.

Lots of people are now telecommuting, working from home, and may want to occasionally rent a quiet meeting room for in-person client meetings. For example, on another thread, some bogleheads were talking about side-gigging as an hourly CFP.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Planning on having safe deposit boxes in their cafes, are they? That will be really secure.

When I do IRA RMDs, it is much quicker to visit the credit union and do the paperwork there in 10-20 minutes, vs. God forbid trusting Vanguard customer service to do it right not to mention the weeks it takes Vanguard or even the time it takes Schwab with their much less clear paperwork. Ditto trustee to trustee transfers.

I prefer tellers for cash as well, vs. ATMs. A teller has never misread a $700 deposit check for a $100 deposit check because there was a crease through the top of the 7.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Cap 360 App and an occasional ATM provide me with all my current banking needs.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Lots of businesses are doing similar things, from Nordstrom to Barnes & Noble. Churches and libraries are examples of non-business organizations that are doing it, too. Makes a lot of sense in some ways.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:09 pm

It seems to be the future.
No coffee shop and kinda strange when I first encountered it but several Chase full service branches in my area have gone to kiosks eliminating the teller. The kiosk can do virtually all everyday transactions and if one needs assistance they have to talk to a CSA/personal banker. One branch I frequent use to have 3 tellers for the main bank and 2 for driveup. It now seems they are down to just one for the driveup and reduced the CSA''s from 5 to 2.

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:09 pm

mhc wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:40 am
I'd be fine seeing brick and mortar banks disappear. Not really much of a need for them any more. I don't remember the last time I went into my bank, and I drive by it several times a day.
I'm also excited to see if the big 4 banks (Citi, Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo) will finally get knocked down a peg, and whether online-focused competitors (CapitalOne360, Ally.com) can make a serious challenge for one of the top spots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... ted_States

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm

El Greco wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm
Pitfalls:

Safe Deposit Boxes?

Large Cash Withdrawals?

Bank Checks Instantly?

Medallion Signatures?

These are all services I periodically use. I guess I should consider a different bank than Capital One.
Medallion signatures can be obtained online. Haven’t done it yet but plan to in the future.

https://esignatureguarantee.com/howitworks

Of course they’re not free so there’s that.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:16 pm

anil686 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm
A medallion signature is a bigger deal and I don’t know how they would offer that.
Just thinking on the fly..

Maybe CapitalOne360 could offer Medallion Signature via voice-recognition software (phonecall beforehand), and then facial-recognition (at the enhanced ATM machine). Then you drop your document into the enhanced ATM machine, and then CapitalOne360 FedExes the Medallion Signature'd document back to you.

Cumbersome, but it could work.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:21 pm

How do businesses deposit checks?

One of the credit unions I deal with put in a remote teller setup to go with the ATM. There are still live tellers if you go inside.
So when I need to deposit checks or cash, I have to ring up the teller and deposit everyone one at a time.

I like the old way better, where you tot up the checks on the deposit slip and dump the whole thing on the teller.

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:30 pm

What about cashier's checks for real estate, cars, etc.? Guess they know millennials aren't buying homes or cars so they don't need cashier's checks!

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Yankuba wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:30 pm
What about cashier's checks for real estate, cars, etc.? Guess they know millennials aren't buying homes or cars so they don't need cashier's checks!
Maybe one day the enhanced ATMs will be able to spit out cashier's checks, based on voice-recognition, facial-recognition, scanned photo ID (driver's license or passport), and brief on-screen videochat with a call center rep.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:00 pm

It's not just medallion signatures.

There are a whole class of identity problems that cannot be solved on line.

If you think "you" are a sack of meat there are some things that require that sack of meat to meet another sack of meat. If you think "you" are a password, a private key, or an entry in a database then you are not who you think you are.

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:00 pm
It's not just medallion signatures.

There are a whole class of identity problems that cannot be solved on line.
In theory, enhanced ATM machines could solve those problems, by using voice-recognition (phonecall beforehand), facial-recognition, scanned photo ID (driver's license or passport), and brief on-screen videochat with a call center rep.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Will Starbucks be getting into the banking business if Capital One is successful with this venture? :wink:

It's hard for me to evaluate this business model in a positive light because I'm not the type of person that fits into the intended demographics. I don't go to coffee shops, I don't drink coffee and when I do go to bank branches, I like to get in and get out as opposed to linger and socialize with the bank staff. This business model might be feasible for coffee drinkers who have a great variety of banking needs, but I'm doubtful a Capital One cafe will be appealing to most other people.

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:54 pm
Will Starbucks be getting into the banking business if Capital One is successful with this venture? :wink:

It's hard for me to evaluate this business model in a positive light because I'm not the type of person that fits into the intended demographics. I don't go to coffee shops, I don't drink coffee and when I do go to bank branches, I like to get in and get out as opposed to linger and socialize with the bank staff. This business model might be feasible for coffee drinkers who have a great variety of banking needs, but I'm doubtful a Capital One cafe will be appealing to most other people.
For a moment, ignore the coffee shops.

What about Capital One getting rid of bank branches, and just going with CapitalOne360 online accounts, and enhanced ATM machines in Target stores, shopping malls, big hotel lobbies around the country.

If the enhanced ATM machines can scan IDs/documents, and do live video chat with customer service reps, then they might be able to eventually spit out cashier's checks, and accept documents for medallion signature (FedEx'd back to the customer).

The cost advantage over traditional brick & mortar banks would be huge.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:25 pm

normaldude wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm
flamesabers wrote:

What about Capital One getting rid of bank branches, and just going with CapitalOne360 online accounts, and enhanced ATM machines in Target stores, shopping malls, big hotel lobbies around the country.

If the enhanced ATM machines can scan IDs/documents, and do live video chat with customer service reps, then they might be able to eventually spit out cashier's checks, and accept documents for medallion signature (FedEx'd back to the customer).

How would enhanced ATMs be safer then current ATMs? Already with current ATMs there is the danger of thieves attaching skimmers and cameras to ATMs in order to steal customers' banking information.

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:27 pm

normaldude wrote:
flamesabers wrote:

I have an ETRADE Bank account. No branches, no ATMS. At one point they almost went bankrupt and had to be bailed out by a hedge fund or private equity shop. If online only was so great more people and institutions would be doing it. I've yet to meet anyone that uses ETRADE Bank other than me.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:33 pm

mouses wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm
I prefer tellers for cash as well, vs. ATMs. A teller has never misread a $700 deposit check for a $100 deposit check because there was a crease through the top of the 7.
Or shredded a $1000 check.

steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Wanted: Efficient barista. Experience originating mortgages preferred. :P

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:25 pm
normaldude wrote:
flamesabers wrote:

How would enhanced ATMs be safer then current ATMs? Already with current ATMs there is the danger of thieves attaching skimmers and cameras to ATMs in order to steal customers' banking information.
The risk would be similar, except that the enhanced ATMs would always be located in a place that has security guards (Target stores, shopping malls, hotel lobbies, etc)

If you're worried about an advanced skimmer stealing your driver's license info, maybe the driver's license could be uploaded online instead. And the bank customers would be encouraged to do facial scans at the enhanced ATM machines every 5 years or so. As long as you have at least one facial scan done within the last 6 months - 10 years, the live video chat rep & facial recognition software could confirm your identity.

Overall, I don't know, but I'm excited to see if this tech & business model can help an online bank (CapitalOne360, Ally.com) pass the big 4 banks (Citi, Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo).

Topic Author
normaldude

Post by normaldude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:46 pm

steadyeddy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:39 pm
Wanted: Efficient barista. Experience originating mortgages preferred. :P
I think mortgages can be done online. Like Rocket Mortgage / Quicken Loans, or Ally.com.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.