Employment for Immigrant Wife

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
sergio

Employment for Immigrant Wife

Post by sergio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:13 pm

I recently got married and we have filed for my wife's green card. For the last few weeks we've been discussing her employment options when she gets her work authorization and green card (this summer). I've started stressing over this recently. She is from China, and speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. Her English is pretty good (but improving). Her dream job would be to work at an airport for a major airline.

She is 36 years old and her degree and work experience in China, to be blunt, is pretty worthless over here. To further complicate things, she's pregnant and due in September, so we'd be looking at night/weekends only for the near term. :?

Salary is not a huge deal, as my salary can sustain us easily. But culturally, not working is off the table. She's more than willing to start in an entry level service/retail job (e.g. Walmart, Target) while we figure out a more permanent plan. Here is what we've come up for future possibilities:
1. Try starting an online business.
2. Go to school for 1-2 years evenings/weekends in hopes of getting a good healthcare position down the road (e.g. LPN, pharmacy tech)
3. Hustle in retail/service jobs until reaching a "good" retail/service position (airline, Costco, Starbucks etc.)
4. Buy an existing small business (e.g. Chinese takeaway, laundromat, etc.)
5. Start a low upfront-cost business (e.g. a Chinese tutoring academy)
6. Try for a non-technical government job (e.g. the post office)
7. Banking, starting as a teller
8. ...and many many more

We feel a bit overwhelmed, and would be more than grateful for any advice, especially for those that have been down this path before. If I had to boil this down to two questions, they'd be:
1. What should she do while waiting for her working card (and baby) that gets the best ROI, besides improving English? GED?
2. Any opinion on the long term ideas we came up with?

Thanks so much guys.

KlangFool

Re: Employment for Immigrant Wife

Post by KlangFool » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:21 pm

OP,

Let's start with the basic.

A) Why is she want to work?

B) Please note that as soon as the baby is born, her's income may not cover the childcare expenses. So, besides not bringing in money, it will cost money.

<<She is 36 years old and her degree and work experience in China, to be blunt, is pretty worthless over here. To further complicate things, she's pregnant and due in September, so we'd be looking at night/weekends only for the near term. :? >>

C) You got to be kidding!! The risk to the pregnancy? Is this her first baby?

D) Does she ever work in the USA before?

E) Can she paint or draw? How about starting a home tutoring studio for art and craft?

KlangFool

Betterself

Post by Betterself » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 pm

As a Chinese born mom of two kids, I would highly recommend you not rush your wife to the work force. In China, expecting moms are highly protected: they are garenteed seats in crowed subways, they will get 6 months paid leave and another 6months unpaid leave by law. After giving birth, they are supposed to sit, eat, and sleep while others doing chores. The point is, your newly landed wife may not be mentally prepared to work as a low end cashier so close to the due date or after. Let her enjoy life, make friends first.

I also agree that earningmim wage is not an economic proposal consider how expensive childcare is.

By the way, do pharmacy techs need special training? I thought they only earn 15/ hr.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:41 pm

sergio wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:13 pm

But culturally, not working is off the table.
sergio,

This is not consistent with Chinese culture in regards to pregnant women.

KlangFool

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Libraries often have ESL classes that are free. She needs to find an American friend than knows zero Chinese to improve her English. That would be the biggest bang for her buck. But I would slow down a bit, realistically she is not working for another year especially with the first baby due in September.

Who is going to take care of the child while she is at work? You? Is that why you state nights and weekends? Options for good paying jobs will be limited. If I were her I would look for nanny positions that would allow her to take the child or tutoring kids in Chinese nights and weekends. Unless you have family in the area who canwatch your child for free, you might find that you are paying for her to work. Childcare is very expensive.

Interpretation services for a hospital is another idea. Most have interpreters available by phone. She would need a medical terminology course first of course.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:47 pm

how's her English? Could she be a translator? Sometimes, they can work from home. Where I work we use Language Line. Just used it yesterday for vietnamese translation. Here are some other potential employers:

https://www.thespruce.com/work-from-hom ... bs-3542813
http://www.workfromhomebuzz.com/earn-mo ... tion-jobs/
http://www.translationrules.com/transla ... anslators/
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

Betterself

Post by Betterself » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Longer term, I would suggest teaching. Most Chinese have solid math training and future workload should be better than nurses but with a pension. Later, she can also start tutoring.

If you do not think highly of her education, I would think getting into a nurse grad school will be tough.

sergio

Post by sergio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Betterself wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 pm
As a Chinese born mom of two kids, I would highly recommend you not rush your wife to the work force. In China, expecting moms are highly protected: they are garenteed seats in crowed subways, they will get 6 months paid leave and another 6months unpaid leave by law. After giving birth, they are supposed to sit, eat, and sleep while others doing chores. The point is, your newly landed wife may not be mentally prepared to work as a low end cashier so close to the due date or after. Let her enjoy life, make friends first.

I also agree that earningmim wage is not an economic proposal consider how expensive childcare is.

By the way, do pharmacy techs need special training? I thought they only earn 15/ hr.
Thanks. Her plan would be to stay home full-time for 6 months after the baby is born, we move back closer to my family, and then she starts to enter the workforce and/or go to school. She's obviously happy to be with me and thrilled to have a baby, but I can tell she's anxious to do anything, even if it's just being a cashier for a few hours a week

Between me working at home, my parents and other family, childcare wouldn't be a huge issue. To be honest, I'd rather she not work for at least a year or two, take it easy, go to school etc. but I can't seem to convince her. I've known her for many, many years and she's always been a hustler and done very well for herself. She already had spent time in the USA (and other countries) before, so moving here hasn't been a huge system shock.
Last edited by sergio on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 pm

She should focus on perfecting her English as well as getting a GED while pregnant and immediately afterwards. Those would help with both getting any job and with further education.

Plenty of people do leverage their foreign degrees if they can be accepted as the basis for an advanced degree but she might also have to earn a bachelor's degree here. That might be the best foundation for a work career here, anyway.

Maybe you can convince her of this, but it might be that she would be better off doing what she thinks is best and you should support her in that.
Last edited by Pajamas on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betterself

Post by Betterself » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 pm

I am so glad to hear that. She definitely will prosper with the merits you mentioned. Good luck.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 pm

sergio wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm
Betterself wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks. Her plan would be to stay home full-time for 6 months after the baby is born, we move back closer to my family, and then she starts to enter the workforce and/or go to school. She's obviously happy to be with me and thrilled to have a baby, but I can tell she's anxious to do anything, even if it's just being a cashier for a few hours a week

Between me working at home two days a week + my parents, childcare isn't an issue. To be honest, I'd rather she not work for at least a year or two, take it easy, go to school etc. but I can't seem to convince her. I've known her for many, many years and she's always been a hustler and done very well for herself. She already had spent time in the USA (and other countries) before, so moving here hasn't been a huge system shock.
Since financially it’s not a big concern, I would just focus on the long game rather than the short term. What are her interests and strengths, and what careers would fit those strengths? Then figure out how to get there, whether it be school or training or whatever. Not worth rushing out to work at Target IMO.

If there any areas around you with high numbers of Chinese living there, it would probably be easier to find a job there. Places like Monterey Park and Alhambra in Southern California, it’s much easier to function if you know Chinese, and it’s highly desirable to speak Chinese.

GKSD

Post by GKSD » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Be a freelancer and work from home. Google and you will find many websites which offer freelancing jobs.

Post by 123 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 pm

I think the most return on the immediate effort would be working as a teller in an Asian bank where her language skills are highly valued. (This assumes you reside in an area where there is a significantly sized Asian community that is served by Asian banks). Working as a teller is primarily customer service so it gets her the most experience if she wants to move onto airline customer service or subsequently move to an "American" bank or other financial services organization.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

sergio

Post by sergio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 pm

123 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 pm
I think the most return on the immediate effort would be working as a teller in an Asian bank where her language skills are highly valued. (This assumes you reside in an area where there is a significantly sized Asian community that is served by Asian banks). Working as a teller is primarily customer service so it gets her the most experience if she wants to move onto airline customer service or subsequently move to an "American" bank or other financial services organization.
We're in an area where there aren't a whole lot of Chinese people, except for the university near us. She has met several Chinese friends at the community center where she is taking free English classes, but none have any work experience in the US (nor desire it) as their husbands are quite a bit older and financially pretty well-off.
She should focus on perfecting her English as well as getting a GED while pregnant and immediately afterwards. Those would help with both getting any job and with further education.

Plenty of people do leverage their foreign degrees if they can be accepted as the basis for an advanced degree but she might also have to earn a bachelor's degree here. That might be the best foundation for a work career here, anyway.

Maybe you can convince her of this, but it might be that she would be better off doing what she thinks is best and you should support her in that.
I think the GED will be the first priority. She has a legitimate bachelor's degree, but its from one of the hundreds of unknown Chinese universities here in the US, in Chinese Literature.

Betterself

Post by Betterself » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 pm

No ged please. Not too many Americans even know any Chinese universities so forth one is no different than 400th. Go for graduate school, I know a lot of Chinese taking accounting without any previous experience.

However, if she is into services, she can start as a real estate agent. Lot of Chinese investors want to buy properties around colleges.

hmw

Post by hmw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Betterself wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 pm
No ged please. Not too many Americans even know any Chinese universities so forth one is no different than 400th. Go for graduate school, I know a lot of Chinese taking accounting without any previous experience.

However, if she is into services, she can start as a real estate agent. Lot of Chinese investors want to buy properties around colleges.
I agree that GED is probably not needed. I used to live in Vancouver, Canada where there is a large Chinese population. Working in service jobs at a bank, or working in real estate were common for new immigrants from China in Vancouver. If there are Chinese buyers near your local university, real estate may be a good idea. Low barrier to entry and pretty flexible work hours.

Getting a RN degree from a community college is another idea.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 am

My wife is from the Philippines. Her first job was at McDonalds, and now she is doing very well at a luxury hotel. They have many Chinese-speaking guests, and I know they would love to have more staff members who speak the language.

sergio

Post by sergio » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:09 am

Cyclone wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 am
My wife is from the Philippines. Her first job was at McDonalds, and now she is doing very well at a luxury hotel. They have many Chinese-speaking guests, and I know they would love to have more staff members who speak the language.
Thanks for the info. There are several nice hotels near the university close to our house that have lots of Chinese visitors (visiting students, parents, researchers...). This would be a nice immediate goal, along with trying to work at a major airline, who always seem to be looking for bi/trilingual employees. Seems like both of these jobs would have reasonable flexible schedules.

She's always been an entrepreneur and hustler at heart, having owned multiple small businesses in China or stakes in other companies, so I think long-term we would definitely look into trying to slowly build a little "empire" of rentals, laundromat, convenient stores, etc. once the baby is older and she gets most of her money out of China.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Possibly in the tourism industry if it is applicable to where you live. Lots of Mandarin speakers traveling these days.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

sergio wrote:
I recently got married and we have filed for my wife's green card. For the last few weeks we've been discussing her employment options when she gets her work authorization and green card (this summer). I've started stressing over this recently. She is from China, and speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. Her English is pretty good (but improving). Her dream job would be to work at an airport for a major airline.

She is 36 years old and her degree and work experience in China, to be blunt, is pretty worthless over here. To further complicate things, she's pregnant and due in September, so we'd be looking at night/weekends only for the near term. :?

Salary is not a huge deal, as my salary can sustain us easily. But culturally, not working is off the table. She's more than willing to start in an entry level service/retail job (e.g. Walmart, Target) while we figure out a more permanent plan. Here is what we've come up for future possibilities:
1. Try starting an online business.No
2. Go to school for 1-2 years evenings/weekends in hopes of getting a good healthcare position down the road (e.g. LPN, pharmacy tech)Yes
3. Hustle in retail/service jobs until reaching a "good" retail/service position (airline, Costco, Starbucks etc.) No
4. Buy an existing small business (e.g. Chinese takeaway, laundromat, etc.)Absolutely No
5. Start a low upfront-cost business (e.g. a Chinese tutoring academy)No
6. Try for a non-technical government job (e.g. the post office)Yes
7. Banking, starting as a tellerAn Asian Bank would be a plus. Cantonese in an Asian Bank is a super plus.
8. ...and many many more

We feel a bit overwhelmed, and would be more than grateful for any advice, especially for those that have been down this path before. If I had to boil this down to two questions, they'd be:
1. What should she do while waiting for her working card (and baby) that gets the best ROI, besides improving English? GED?Focus on Education and developing Skillsets.

Thanks so much guys.
As you can afford to support her while she is going to school or training in a field, then that is the best option. Night vocational or college program supplemented with online learning. Cosmetology, Tech, Computer, Finance, Medical, etc.
Aim for fields that will take advantage of her being bilingual and cross cultural.
****Do not immerse her in environments that may be overwhelming because of cultural differences and so forth. One step at a time. First establish a solid home base and social sphere where she is comfortable.
If she is "Cantonese" or has a deep background in family and other business, then that direction is also a good one. Entrepreneurial.
But, as she is pregnant. Why not focus on family and getting established first?
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jjface

Post by jjface » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Sorry to be so traditional and against modern thinking but...

Being a mom is a full time 'job' and is hard work.

Being pregnant is not the time to start thinking about career choices in my opinion. Just take the time to enjoy the baby and then take it from there.

hmw

Post by hmw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm
sergio wrote:

2. Go to school for 1-2 years evenings/weekends in hopes of getting a good healthcare position down the road (e.g. LPN, pharmacy tech)Yes
3. Hustle in retail/service jobs until reaching a "good" retail/service position (airline, Costco, Starbucks etc.) No
4. Buy an existing small business (e.g. Chinese takeaway, laundromat, etc.)Absolutely No
7. Banking, starting as a tellerAn Asian Bank would be a plus. Cantonese in an Asian Bank is a super plus.
8. ...and many many more

1. What should she do while waiting for her working card (and baby) that gets the best ROI, besides improving English? GED?Focus on Education and developing Skillsets.

Thanks so much guys.
As you can afford to support her while she is going to school or training in a field, then that is the best option. Night vocational or college program supplemented with online learning. Cosmetology, Tech, Computer, Finance, Medical, etc.
Aim for fields that will take advantage of her being bilingual and cross cultural.
****Do not immerse her in environments that may be overwhelming because of cultural differences and so forth. One step at a time. First establish a solid home base and social sphere where she is comfortable.
If she is "Cantonese" or has a deep background in family and other business, then that direction is also a good one. Entrepreneurial.
I agree with most what Sandtrap said except that I would argue that Mandarin is in fact more useful than Cantonese in service industry such as banking/real estate. Cantonese might have been more popular 20 years ago.

My wife used to work in the banking industry in Vancouver. She tells me that Mandarin is definitely more in demand than Cantonese. A foreign language is usually sustained by the continuing immigration from the old country. HK has not been a major source of Chinese immigrants for quite some times

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm

sergio wrote:
when she gets her work authorization and green card (this summer).
sergio wrote:
and due in September,
sergio wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm
Her plan would be to stay home full-time for 6 months after the baby is born
sergio wrote:
We feel a bit overwhelmed,
Starting a new job this summer when she is seven months pregnant would be unrealistic unless you are desperate for money, which you aren't.

That puts her working out until March of 2019.

I would stop thinking about the job until about January of 2019. Working on her english would be good but there really isn't enough time for her learn some other markable skill while caring for a newborn.

There is also a high probability that some job will turn up in some unexpected way that you could never plan, which is the how a lot of people find jobs. If not then you can start looking at the options next January.
sergio wrote:
She's more than willing to start in an entry level service/retail job (e.g. Walmart, Target) while we figure out a more permanent plan.
For most people jobs like that are dead end jobs, not entry level. Holding out for a good job with potential would be better than taking the first job like that.

You should also be cautious about underestimating what type of work you wife is capable of doing.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:06 pm

deleted
Last edited by Lynette on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 am

hmw wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm
sergio wrote:

8. ...and many many more

Thanks so much guys.
I agree with most what Sandtrap said except that I would argue that Mandarin is in fact more useful than Cantonese in service industry such as banking/real estate. Cantonese might have been more popular 20 years ago.

My wife used to work in the banking industry in Vancouver. She tells me that Mandarin is definitely more in demand than Cantonese. A foreign language is usually sustained by the continuing immigration from the old country. HK has not been a major source of Chinese immigrants for quite some times
True. But I was referring to things cultural vs language.
Though yes, times have changed.
mahalo,

sergio

Post by sergio » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 am
mahalo,
Fortunately, she speaks both fluently :)

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:06 pm

sergio wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 am
Sandtrap wrote:
mahalo,
Judging someones fluency can be complicated. I have heard of native speakers of Spanish that applied for jobs that required the ability to speak Spanish. As part of the job application process they had to take a test in their Spanish skills and they did not get good enough scores to get the job.

The only language I speak is English but if I had to take a test of my English skills I don't know how well I would score.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:06 pm
sergio wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 am
Sandtrap wrote:
mahalo,
Judging someones fluency can be complicated. I have heard of native speakers of Spanish that applied for jobs that required the ability to speak Spanish. As part of the job application process they had to take a test in their Spanish skills and they did not get good enough scores to get the job.

The only language I speak is English but if I had to take a test of my English skills I don't know how well I would score.
Exactly.