How long did it take you to get an official offer after clearing the interview process? Any delays?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
PlayingLife

How long did it take you to get an official offer after clearing the interview process? Any delays?

Post by PlayingLife »

Curious because I have a verbal commitment for an offer since beginning of December with a highly reputable company, and from people I have a lot of respect for. They've regularly stayed on top of me citing major delays in HR, providing lots of detail on the situation each time. It's just taking so long now that it's starting to really become frustrating.

Despite me venting, I don't need to discuss this situation in detail, but I am curious to hear from other people's experiences and if anyone's seen anything similar. Thank you!
tibbitts

Re: How long did it take you to get an official offer after clearing the interview process? Any delays?

Post by tibbitts »

PlayingLife wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 am Curious because I have a verbal commitment for an offer since beginning of December with a highly reputable company, and from people I have a lot of respect for. They've regularly stayed on top of me citing major delays in HR, providing lots of detail on the situation each time. It's just taking so long now that it's starting to really become frustrating.

Despite me venting, I don't need to discuss this situation in detail, but I am curious to hear from other people's experiences and if anyone's seen anything similar. Thank you!
Still waiting for one from 1998. Don't worry eventually everyone at the company will die or retire and they'll get to you. In general three months or so has been what I've experienced, but like everyone else who replies I've had a limited number of observations.
hookemhorns

Re: How long did it take you to get an official offer after clearing the interview process? Any delays?

Post by hookemhorns »

Never had it take more than a month. More than two months would be highly unusual in my opinion unless you are a very senior hire (i.e. C-level or one step below). You have to consider the possibility that there may have been some internal change or debate that means your verbal offer is no longer valid. Behave as if the status quo remains until you have strong evidence otherwise.
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture »

hookemhorns wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 am You have to consider the possibility that there may have been some internal change or debate that means your verbal offer is no longer valid. Behave as if the status quo remains until you have strong evidence otherwise.
There should never be an official "verbal offer" until an offer is fully approved and prepared to physically present immediately after the discussion. Anything before having an offer fully approved and ready to go should NOT be considered an actual offer / that's more so discussions and negotiations.

So, a real verbal offer should be immediately followed up with a real written offer. Don't ever mistake communications around compensation and a company saying that they'd LIKE to make you an offer as a real offer until you see it in writing.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It's been different every time for me. I think the longest was in 1989, where I was told verbally that I had the job in November and did not receive an offer letter until January, i.e. about two months. I don't have a voice recording of what was said in November but it was something like "we're going to hire you."

As others have noted, it's not real until you have the piece of paper in your hands. The verbal offer usually means the hiring manager has chosen you, but that there is some approval needed from higher-ups. The hold-up could be due to e.g. budget issues.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
sambb

Post by sambb »

Sounds like a budget issue, legal issue, new manager issue, realignment issue.. You may end up with no offer. 2 months is very usunual UNLESS this is c-suite or high level executive
Topic Author
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

A lot of these responses are what I pretty much expected, I do agree this long is fairly strange. One of the key people is new and states they did not realize all the micro details HR had to get involved with and manage before the official offer could be extended. We confirmed salary and I received the internal benefit package information and most other details, but still, no official offer. I am treating everything as normal until I have hard evidence otherwise, as someone else stated. Thank you for the responses.
Dolphin1

Post by Dolphin1 »

I've been in situations where the company claimed I would be getting an offer, but there were delays (never as long as yours as I've never been willing to wait that long.) However I've noticed that once I re-contact them and say I have another offer and I need to give a response, the slow companies overcomes their issues and produce a paper offer right away.
Rashen

Post by Rashen »

perhaps they are looking through the rest of the pool of applicants before getting you a real offer.
they tell you verbally that you'll be hired, you stop looking, and they hold your name as Plan B in case they don't find anyone better.
Win for them. Not so much for you.

just saying
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

I had a written offer the next day for a Federal position a few years ago. It’s different everywhere.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

PlayingLife wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 am Curious because I have a verbal commitment for an offer since beginning of December with a highly reputable company, and from people I have a lot of respect for. They've regularly stayed on top of me citing major delays in HR, providing lots of detail on the situation each time. It's just taking so long now that it's starting to really become frustrating.

I can sort of see things getting bogged down around the holidays with vacations, etc. But I would have started getting worried around the first or second week in January assuming the position was individual contributor or mid-level manager. Was this an existing position or a brand new one?

At the megacorp where I work, if requisitions aren't filled quickly they can get cancelled. I had a first-time manager who lost a requisition to backfill a position because he kept looking for the perfect candidate. He finally found the candidate he wanted and just before extending the offer the requisition was pulled. :annoyed Could this be an issue for you? The other possibility is that there is a reorganization underway and they don't want to bring anyone new in during the transition period.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

It can vary widely, depending on who else is interviewing, and specifics of the company. However, if they've dragged their feet two months, my default mode that it isn't going to happen. I'd start looking for other options. If it eventually comes through, fine, but don't put your life on hold waiting for what may never happen.

Having another offer may motivate them also.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

They are stringing you along, man. Move on!
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns »

By the way, going back to my earlier example, the only time it took the company more than a month they ended up rescinding their verbal offer because they found a better candidate. The hiring manager had previously told me their HR team was simply working out some details and getting the offer letter typed up. Obviously he lied. This was a major US bank and I was interviewing for a post MBA position, so not a place or position you would expect such behavior.

Thankfully I was still interviewing for other jobs and quickly had another offer. If I had stopped interviewing I could have been in serious trouble and graduated without a job. Don't rely on them until you have a written offer that you've signed.