HSA questions

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mchampse

HSA questions

Post by mchampse » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 pm

A few random questions:
1)I’m getting married later this year and am on my fiancé’s HDHP which I’ve been on for a couple of years. We both have our own HSA accounts though now will be transitioning to just having hers. Can she pay for my medical expenses out of her account before we get married?
2)I’ve paid for a few things that I’m now finding out that insurance will cover part of those costs. Do I have to stuff the money back into the HSA or can I pay for other medical expenses with that money outside the HSA.
3)Should I be keeping any documentation of any of my expenses?

nps

Re: HSA questions

Post by nps » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 pm

mchampse wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 pm
A few random questions:
1)I’m getting married later this year and am on my fiancé’s HDHP which I’ve been on for a couple of years. We both have our own HSA accounts though now will be transitioning to just having hers. Can she pay for my medical expenses out of her account before we get married?
2)I’ve paid for a few things that I’m now finding out that insurance will cover part of those costs. Do I have to stuff the money back into the HSA or can I pay for other medical expenses with that money outside the HSA.
3)Should I be keeping any documentation of any of my expenses?
She can use her HSA for your expenses if you're her eligible dependent.

Your best bet for withdrawing too much would be to identify other qualified expenses that you may have paid out of pocket since your HSA was established and for which you haven't yet reimbursed yourself. Otherwise you can contact your custodian to try and return the mistaken distribution.

I would say it's a good idea to have proof of medical expenses that are reimbursed by your HSA. You never know if the IRS will ask.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:15 pm

You should keep both the identity/proof of the qualified medical expense (bill, EOB, etc...) and the proof of payment (credit account/receipts, bank account/checks, HSA account if direct, etc.) until three years after the tax filing deadline of the year of reimbursement.

mchampse

Post by mchampse » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:48 pm

nps wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 pm
I guess that’s my question..am I her eligible dependent on our wedding day or on January 1?

nps

Post by nps » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 pm

mchampse wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:48 pm
nps wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 pm
I guess that’s my question..am I her eligible dependent on our wedding day or on January 1?
Once you're married she absolutely can use her HSA for your qualified expenses from that date forward. Until then, you would have to be considered her eligible dependent. The rules for this are in IRS Pub 969.