Question for TaxAide Volunteers

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
jebmke

Question for TaxAide Volunteers

Post by jebmke » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:10 pm

I was working at one of our sites on Saturday and was surprised to be able to get carryover data on taxpayers who had been to another site (different SIDN and EFIN) last year. This happened for at least two taxpayers and another counselor at the site reported that he had noticed similar results on Thursday. This was only my second day and the first day at that site.

Has anyone else had this occur? This is contrary to what we had been told in training.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

kaneohe

Re: Question for TaxAide Volunteers

Post by kaneohe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:32 pm

I had a person from another nearby site on Thurs. No carryover data.........used it as my excuse why I was so slow since I had to type in all that junk.

Euclidian

Post by Euclidian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:38 pm

Yes, on Saturday I had carryover data appear for a client who had done their return in a different state last year.

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:10 pm
I was working at one of our sites on Saturday and was surprised to be able to get carryover data on taxpayers who had been to another site (different SIDN and EFIN) last year.
I am pretty sure that happened for a taxpayer I handled last week. My take is that the "global" carryover of data is active for this year, but that we are not to check the box allowing its use going forward for 2018 returns. I suspect the program isn't publicizing that we have access to "global" carryover data for the same reasons that we are not approved to use it going forward.

Best wishes.
Andy

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Had an new client last week at my site here in Nashville. Client moved here from California and had her federal and state 2016 return done there at a Tax-Aide site. When we put her SSN in the system it had her carry forward info from California. It is my understanding that if a return was done last year at what is this year still an active Tax-Aide site the info will carry forward. We could not help here with her state tax return for California. Suggested she consider whether or not any refund she might get was worth the cost of a paid preparer.
Tom D.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:51 am

Our site was getting carry over data until last Friday. Then, regardless of where the return was processed, there was no data. I hope it's back this week. Sure saves a lot of data entry.

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 am

Just want to say that you all are good people and should be commended for volunteering!!!

I have thought that I might be interested in doing that as well, but I am no tax expert, just a person who has been doing his own taxes for years and once passed the CPA exam. Anyone care to share some details about what is required and expected of the volunteer? Thanks!

earlyout

Post by earlyout » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 am

When I was preparing the return for a Tax-Aide client yesterday it was a pleasant surprise to have carryover data from his last year's Tax-Aide return. The return from last year had not been done at our site but was from a different district in the same state.

I was also surprised when there was no carryover data for another client who's return I had prepared last year at our site. This is all consistent with my experience using TaxSlayer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 am

fundseeker wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 am
Just want to say that you all are good people and should be commended for volunteering!!!

I have thought that I might be interested in doing that as well, but I am no tax expert, just a person who has been doing his own taxes for years and once passed the CPA exam. Anyone care to share some details about what is required and expected of the volunteer? Thanks!
ymmv.........typically we get a refresher course annually........6 days during January. You have to pass a qualifying test annually during that period. The first yr, there may be additional work learning the software. The resource materials esp. Pub 4012 and in CA, the "Duck book" are terrific and allow you to handle situations that are not second nature for you. I would encourage you since you are interested to investigate further.........it's fun working w/ the folks who come in, you'll be doing a great service, and you'll usually learn something new each day.
Every once in a while, you'll be esp. helpful to someone.........e.g. a spouse who didn't have a SS tax form because she had never worked and never realized they could claim on the working spouse's account.

Working conditions are very site-dependent. My site works 8hrs/day , two days a week. You can work 1 day/2 days or part days.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks everyone. I worked at a different site today and had a carryover from yet a different site pop for me. It appears that global carryover is active - intentionally or not.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 am
fundseeker wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 am

ymmv.........typically we get a refresher course annually........6 days during January. You have to pass a qualifying test annually during that period. The first yr, there may be additional work learning the software. The resource materials esp. Pub 4012 and in CA, the "Duck book" are terrific and allow you to handle situations that are not second nature for you. I would encourage you since you are interested to investigate further.........it's fun working w/ the folks who come in, you'll be doing a great service, and you'll usually learn something new each day.
Every once in a while, you'll be esp. helpful to someone.........e.g. a spouse who didn't have a SS tax form because she had never worked and never realized they could claim on the working spouse's account.

Working conditions are very site-dependent. My site works 8hrs/day , two days a week. You can work 1 day/2 days or part days.
There are differences in details, but this is close to my experience. Just 3 days of training, which were mostly hands-on working practice problems. I have been doing this from the year I retired, which was 2001! My only prior experience was doing my own return on TurboTax. Go for it!