Quicken Alternatives

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
vthokie100

Quicken Alternatives

Post by vthokie100 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:52 am

What are good alternatives to Quicken, now that Intuit is discontinuing connected services (downloading transactions) as of 4/30/18 for Quicken 2017 or earlier versions? I use Quicken mostly for budget tracking, to keep track of monthly budget and expenses among bank accounts and credit cards -- but don't use it for investment/retirement accounts (track separately). It's frustrating that Quicken is requiring an upgrade to 2018 version and yearly subscription fee now just to keep using the same services. Plus, my Wells Fargo accounts always have connection issues and I have to regularly fight with Quicken to download them. So at this point, wondering what are recommended alternatives?

I like having the local desktop version for security purposes -- not 100% sure if safer than having my data/info in the cloud on Mint or Personal Capital sites, but feels safer after the many hacks recently of Equifax and others. Therefore I am interested in what other local desktop alternatives are available besides online only sites like Mint or Personal Capital.

Thanks for any thoughts.

flossy21

Re: Quicken Alternatives

Post by flossy21 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:00 pm

The question you ask is one that is commonly discussed here. Try doing a search for "Quicken" on this forum. You'll find multiple recent threads that address the question.

I personally use Moneydance after moving from Quicken several years ago. There are other alternatives as well.

Here's a recent thread that might be helpful...

viewtopic.php?t=200751

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:01 pm

I also use MoneyDance. I switched from Quicken to MD over a decade ago. It works well for my needs.

vthokie100

Post by vthokie100 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks -- is Moneydance a one-time purchase or is it also a yearly subscription model?

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Moneydance is a one time purchase ($50).

http://moneydance.com/

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Quicken 2017 download services will work thru April 2020.

vthokie100

Post by vthokie100 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks for the clarification on the download services -- you're right: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ion-policy

The mailer they sent had me incorrectly thinking all versions were being discontinued this April. Good to know, will have time to explore the other options such as MD. Thanks.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Quicken Personal Finance Software

Post by abuss368 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:49 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Bogleheads -

What is the best personal finance software you have used and what are your reasons for why you may prefer or like it. If one wanted to track investments only, including the cost basis information, what is generally the recommendation? Quicken? Does Personal Capital or Mint have this functionality or ability?

** Can Quicken (for Mac) perform the conversion from Vanguard Investor Shares to Admiral Shares without rounding or other cost basis issues? **

Any information or detail is appreciated.
Last edited by abuss368 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Quicken Personal Finance Software

Post by abuss368 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50 pm

I wanted to add that I used Quicken for a long time many years ago. I am not familiar with other personal finance programs.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

frotec

Re: Quicken Personal Finance Software

Post by frotec » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:33 am

This is an area that has been of great interest for me and I did a lot of research on alternatives for quicken. I have been using Quicken since its first version and with a heavy heart left it few years ago when they seemed to have lots of issues with interfacing with my bank etc and also the fact that they did not have a browser version helped me make up my mind to move away from that product.

Looked and tested many other offerings and decided to go with countabout. www.countabout.com I love the product. It does not have too many bells and whistles but does my "job" very well. I can access it from any browser and can create custom reports. It is not free but I love it and you can look at it. I believe they still have a free trial.

However if quicken gets their act together and comes out with a browser version I may likely go back to them.

PS: If you do go the mint routs then use the stand alone reporting tool from www.minttoreport.com
PSS: IMO personal capital is fairly good but bit restrictive in reporting and categorization (though of late they are working on that area)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:39 pm

abuss368 - I merged your thread into here. Although your thread title is for Quicken, I believe your intent is to look at alternatives.

frotec, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bogglizer

Post by bogglizer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:02 pm

Gnucash, for the computer savvy. It's free.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:38 am

bogglizer wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:02 pm
Gnucash, for the computer savvy. It's free.
It doesn't do downloads from brokerages very well -- it kept on failing for Fido. I suppose I could tweak the script to make it work, but I'm not sure it would work with other brokers. And it doesn't characterize assets either. I really only want Quicken to get an idea of my asset allocation across all brokerages I recollect reading that Quicken uses Value Line and Morningstar data to characterize assets into various classes, and I suppose that costs $$.

Does Quicken Deluxe 2018 give you downloads from brokerages and asset allocation reports ? It does not seem to give you Morningstar portfolio X-Ray, but I can live without that.

Is it possible to buy Quicken 2017 instead and keep it till EOL 2020 (I don't care if I lose my current data files, since they are only 2 months old. ) ? I see 1-2 online sites are still selling it, but they are small sites. I' wary of trusting my financial assets to software downloaded from small sites (although I realize that it would be signed by Quicken/Intuit).

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:25 am

daytona084 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:29 pm
Quicken 2017 download services will work thru April 2020.
This. I bought 2017 Deluxe for $30 and am good for 2+ years. I've tried other things. I am not thrilled with Quicken and its direction, but the alternatives didn't work as well for me. I am hoping in that 2 years there will be new alternatives.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Bogleheads -

I have been curious if Quicken for Mac includes the "Mutual Fund Conversion" feature. As such, I did an online chat with their customer support and unfortunately the Mac version does not have this feature at this time. The feature is available for the Windows version only. The customer support representative informed me that they are presently working on pairing the Windows and Mac versions of the software and eventually there would be no difference between the two systems.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Mon May 28, 2018 1:45 pm

I was using the DOS version of Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money for many years, but it won't easily work on my new Windows 10 computer.

I was using it to balance my checkbook, and to track categories for checks, mainly charitable contributions. Most of my receipts and payments are electronic, but I still write some checks, and occasionally receive a check that I deposit.

Is the best solution Quicken Premier, available on eBay for about $75 for 2 years?

MP123

Post by MP123 » Mon May 28, 2018 2:48 pm

bsteiner wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:45 pm
I was using the DOS version of Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money for many years, but it won't easily work on my new Windows 10 computer.

I was using it to balance my checkbook, and to track categories for checks, mainly charitable contributions. Most of my receipts and payments are electronic, but I still write some checks, and occasionally receive a check that I deposit.

Is the best solution Quicken Premier, available on eBay for about $75 for 2 years?
Wow, I remember Tobias' MYM from the late eighties/early nineties. I'd say you got your monies worth out of that one! :happy

You may still be able to find Quicken 2017 which isn't a subscription and should continue to work for many years as long as you don't need to download transactions. Downloading into Q2017 is supposed to sunset in 2020.

Quicken 2018 is on a subscription model. In addition to eBay you might check Amazon, they were including extra months of service at one point if you bought through them.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon May 28, 2018 3:17 pm

When they are done supporting me and my 2017, I may be forced back to a physical checkbook. I'll not be held hostage to reoccurring charges that all areas of business seem hell bent on getting us all onboard with. The cable TV model I call it.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:15 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:39 pm
abuss368 - I merged your thread into here. Although your thread title is for Quicken, I believe your intent is to look at alternatives.

frotec, Welcome!
Thanks LadyGeek!

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 pm

I wrote my own application last year to replace my usage of Quicken. My application "Cash Flow" doesn't keep track of investments with variable net asset values, but it can track income, expense, and budgets. It is capable of accurately tracking cash expenses.

It runs on Windows with Java runtime environment. Data entry is though a color highlighting text editor, while analysis screens are tabular.

Example

Code: Select all

# next payment in June
Loan my Visa card
{
  05/04/18.2 phone, Republic Wireless, 15
  05/04/18.1 PayFrom our bank, 200.50
}
{ 0 => 200.50 (from 2018-04-01 to 2018-04-30)
  04/25/18.2 food, Safeway, 6.00
  04/25/18.1 shop, Target, 9.80
  04/19/18.1 dining, Panda Express, 80.20
  04/15/18.2 car, Shell (gas) 46.00
  04/15/18.1 food, Safeway, 58.5
}
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cash-flow

text editor

category view
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 pm

It also runs in Linux with a Java runtime environment. Well, almost. The launcher CashFlow.bash works fine, but I can't select any menu entries in the source editor window.

This is a Java compatibility issue, so I'm not sure what else is needed here. I have java-1.8-openjdk as an rpm package (includes jre). Installing Java from Oracle results in an "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.awt.HeadlessException".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Tue May 29, 2018 11:18 pm

I have uploaded a version 0.76 of my build to Source Forge. I will do some Linux based testing hopefully by next week.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Wed May 30, 2018 11:30 am

bsteiner wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:45 pm

I, too, used Managing Your Money for several years, but then migrated to Quicken once I finally moved away from DOS. Years ago, Quicken was pulling stunts that led to people dropping it. I do not remember how that compares to the current situation. Still, I dropped Quicken and have been using gnucash since 2005. gnucash, which is free, should work just fine for what you describe above. I am not sure how great it is in interacting with institutions online, but that is not how I used it.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed May 30, 2018 7:24 pm

Tyler Aspect wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:18 pm
I have uploaded a version 0.76 of my build to Source Forge. I will do some Linux based testing hopefully by next week.
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I wanted to note that Moneydance works just fine in Linux. The free trial version is very generous on what they allow you to do. Install packages are available as RPM (Red Hat) and DEB (Debian & Ubuntu).

Since you're working in Java, take a look at the Moneydance Developer Resources.

I recommend installing the "Find and Replace" Extension (python) from the start.

If anyone is interested in purchasing Moneydance, a 20% discount code is available here: Moneydance - Facebook (updated for 2017)

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Bogleheads -

I purchased Quicken Deluxe for Mac. The next day I called them and returned for a full refund. I was beyond surprised at how bad the Mac version is. Most of the features for the Microsoft Windows feature are missing. The true surprise for me was the reporting and screenshot of the investment portfolio is awful. There is essentially one or two reports for the portfolio and the screenshot of the portfolio does not have the column headings I was used too when using the Windows version.

Bad is an understatement.
Last edited by abuss368 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:06 pm

I guess this was a lesson to keep investing simple. No need for Quicken! Perhaps I am moving in the direction of no need for spreadsheets.

chemicalbuddha

Post by chemicalbuddha » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:38 am

Sorry for jumping in here kind of late.

I tried out Personal Capital and was quite pleased. However, the idea that all my banking accounts are linked to an online service gave me a few sleepless nights and I subsequently changed my passwords on the banking sites and closed my account.

I am curious about the Moneydance. Is the information stored locally on your hard-drive? What is your experience/knowledge of their security?

FYI: I've been a long-time Quicken user who finally gave up. I upgraded to Quicken 2017 last year and have been displeased right from the start. Aside from the planned obsolescence of its online banking capabilities, the program is plagued with consistency issues. For example, when I download my children's' 529 plan balance and contribution details, one of the two accounts comes in with the correct balance. The other does not. When I download my 401k balances, it comes in at 1.8x the value of my current asset value (not 2x, but 1.8x... which doesn't make sense from the perspective of user error or double entries). That's just the functional parts -- The GUI is not designed for high-DPI displays, making the fonts extremely blurry, and the the pop-up windows between views are constantly sized to proportions beyond the resolution of my screen (which is pretty high). For a 20+ year user, it's a bittersweet separation... I apologize for my emotional venting.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:18 pm

chemicalbuddha wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:38 am
Sorry for jumping in here kind of late.

I tried out Personal Capital and was quite pleased. However, the idea that all my banking accounts are linked to an online service gave me a few sleepless nights and I subsequently changed my passwords on the banking sites and closed my account.

I am curious about the Moneydance. Is the information stored locally on your hard-drive? What is your experience/knowledge of their security?

FYI: I've been a long-time Quicken user who finally gave up. I upgraded to Quicken 2017 last year and have been displeased right from the start. Aside from the planned obsolescence of its online banking capabilities, the program is plagued with consistency issues. For example, when I download my children's' 529 plan balance and contribution details, one of the two accounts comes in with the correct balance. The other does not. When I download my 401k balances, it comes in at 1.8x the value of my current asset value (not 2x, but 1.8x... which doesn't make sense from the perspective of user error or double entries). That's just the functional parts -- The GUI is not designed for high-DPI displays, making the fonts extremely blurry, and the the pop-up windows between views are constantly sized to proportions beyond the resolution of my screen (which is pretty high). For a 20+ year user, it's a bittersweet separation... I apologize for my emotional venting.
Welcome to the Bogleheads! Thank you for the feedback regarding Personal Capital. I have never used this program but was curious.