donating a car to charity?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mouses

donating a car to charity?

Post by mouses » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Has anyone donated a car via Vehicle Donation to Any Charity, LLC (V-DAC)? I'm thinking about doing this, and was wondering if they are good folks. Thanks.

Update: I changed the title to better reflect the evolved discussion. I'm now looking for either a reputable general business that directs the proceeds to a donor-selected charity or a list of programs aimed at one charity.
Last edited by mouses on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sailaway

Re: Vehicle Donation to Any Charity, LLC (V-DAC)

Post by sailaway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:41 pm

They will take a cut, so you would be better off donating directly to the charity of your choice.

If none of the charities in your area that you are willing to support take vehicle donations, then look into a service such as this. My concern is that this service does not seem to be a charity itself? That suggests they are taking a pretty big chunk and it is harder to look into them.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm

sailaway wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:41 pm
They will take a cut, so you would be better off donating directly to the charity of your choice.

If none of the charities in your area that you are willing to support take vehicle donations, then look into a service such as this. My concern is that this service does not seem to be a charity itself? That suggests they are taking a pretty big chunk and it is harder to look into them.
I don't want the hassle of selling the car, and I am sure the small charity does not either.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:51 pm

I have donated directly to Disabled American Veterans in my area. There are other charities that take vehicle donations directly. The process is as simple as it gets.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:54 pm

dbr wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:51 pm
I have donated directly to Disabled American Veterans in my area. There are other charities that take vehicle donations directly. The process is as simple as it gets.
I'd prefer that the proceeds go to the small animal welfare charity. It doesn't have to be done via these V-DAC people, so I am also wondering if there is a better company that does this stuff.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Is there a list somewhere of reputable car donation programs? From looking on the web, the general ones now seem dubious to me. If I can't donate to the one I intended to, I would at least like to donate to one working on a cause I support.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Consider going to CarMax and getting a price quote from them to buy your car. Usually takes less than an hour.

If the amount they offer is acceptable to you, sell the car to them and donate the proceeds to the charity.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Anon64

Re: donating a car to charity?

Post by Anon64 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm

I wouldn't use Carmax. They quoted me $500 for my older Audi A4. I sold it in less than a week through Autotrader for $2500. If you want to make a donation, you may be better off selling it on Craigslist and then donating the money.

fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Anon64 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 pm
I wouldn't use Carmax. They quoted me $500 for my older Audi A4. I sold it in less than a week through Autotrader for $2500. If you want to make a donation, you may be better off selling it on Craigslist and then donating the money.
The whole point of donating a car is to get a favorable appraisal and write off the corresponding taxes. If you can sell it to Autotrader for 2500, I sure as heck can find a "professional" appraiser to appraise it for 5k and write that off.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:22 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm
Anon64 wrote:
The whole point of donating a car is to get a favorable appraisal and write off the corresponding taxes. If you can sell it to Autotrader for 2500, I sure as heck can find a "professional" appraiser to appraise it for 5k and write that off.
My whole points are to avoid the mess and hassle of selling the car and get a charity some benefit. Running around shopping the car to places, especially when it does not drive dependably, does not accomplish that.

If I could find a list of legitimate charities with vehicle donation programs themselves, I would accomplish my goal.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 pm

In my area, I can Google "car donation [area name]."

Have you asked the small pets charity or a local shelter?

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm

fantasytensai wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm
Anon64 wrote:
But if the charity sells it (which most do), then you are limited to deducting what the charity sold it for (or $500), no matter what the appraisal says, right ?

Also, under the new tax laws, far fewer people will be itemizing, so most people will not be able to get any benefit from the charitable deduction anyway.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Even when I could itemize, contribution wasn't a great option. I was at 31% total tax rate. To get more than $500 deduction, you had to have a statement from the charity showing what they got for it. So for a junker I'd have been looking at best case at around $150 deduction. I called around and a junkyard would haul it and pay $250. As it was running, I could have probably done better on Craigslist.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm

I donated directly to a charity and it was great. They sold off all the parts and I got much more of a tax credit than I could selling the car.