Question about qualified coverdell expense

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
sj1961

Question about qualified coverdell expense

Post by sj1961 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:46 pm

We withdrew coverdell funds in December to pay for private high school tuition. As part of the high school program an international trip is required as part of a special certification in international studies. This requirement is outlined in the school handbook. Often times, but not always. the expenses are billed from the school as an addition to the tuition. (Not all students go at the same time so you are billed when your student goes). In our case the trip was billed from a company that did the chaperoning and itinerary. We bought our airline tickets directly.

I want to make sure these are both qualified expenses otherwise I will (reluctantly ) roll them into a 529 within the 60 day period

I believe they are covered since they would be if included In the tuition bill but I wanted to get some other opinions.

I think I could have let the school bill is directly but it didn't occur to me at the time it would make any difference