MS Money replacement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
newbie003

MS Money replacement

Post by newbie003 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:27 pm

What software are you using to track your investments/bank accounts?

Ever since the early to mid-90s I've used Microsoft Money. For me it was perfect. Easy to use, automatic downloading from all my accounts (whether checking, savings or brokerage), etc...

Several/many years ago it stopped downloading transactions. Every since then, I go in once/month and download from my various banking/credit card/brokerage websites and import into MS Money Plus ('Plus' is the same as the old MS Money, but at some point a few years ago I had to use it instead of Money 2000, which was the latest version I had, and had worked for many, many years).

I've tried Quicken but don't really like the way the software looks/works, but at least it automatically downloads from my banks (though I had some issues with it working automatically).

I use Mint that's not really practicable/not nearly as good (in my viewpoint) as actual software. I really like the Money reports and portfolio views...

Any other suggestions for software that will automatically download from banks/credit cards/brokerage...?

Oh, I also tried Quickbooks online, and it works fantastic for banks/credit cards, but it doesn't work for investments.

Thanks!

sunnywindy

Re: MS Money replacement

Post by sunnywindy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Give Personal Capital a try - https://www.personalcapital.com/
Powered by chocolate!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:50 pm

I use MS Money Sunset edition. I am not bothered by not being able to download because I make so few transactions that I can manually enter them. Indeed, if I think about using money and then having to enter a transaction, I just don't use money: No buying, no spending, no selling, and no need to enter transactions that didn't happen. That has really simplified my life.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:52 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:50 pm
I use MS Money Sunset edition. I am not bothered by not being able to download because I make so few transactions that I can manually enter them. Indeed, if I think about using money and then having to enter a transaction, I just don't use money: No buying, no spending, no selling, and no need to enter transactions that didn't happen. That has really simplified my life.
How do you eat, pay utilities and travel?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:09 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:52 pm
How do you eat, pay utilities and travel?
Someone else pays for all such things for me.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:36 pm

We switched to YNAB and spreadsheets. I'm not sure if you can still buy the old YNAB client, though, they are pushing heavily towards a software as a service (SaaS) model. We budget in YNAB and track investments with Google Sheets. That has worked well enough for now.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

I also use MS Money Sunset Edition, altho I have yet to figure out how to get someone else to pay my way.

It's a good program and free and not cloud based. I update everything manually. No trouble at all. Lots of convenient data entry help features.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Still using Microsoft Money here. I enter all receipts. I think that helps me gauge spending correctly, and for sure allows me to categorize correctly.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 pm

Another Microsoft Money Sunset Edition user. My bank and Vanguard both have OFX download capability for transaction downloads.

I also track investments using Excel due to its flexibility.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:53 pm

MindBogler wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:36 pm
We budget in YNAB and track investments with Google Sheets. That has worked well enough for now.
+1
I am doing the exact same thing..
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

windscorpion

Post by windscorpion » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 am

Was a longtime MS Money user as well, switched to the Sunset version briefly, but have been satisfied with my GNUCash switch since 2010.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:31 am

Sorry that I cannot suggest anything else. I have used Money since Money 98 (now use Money 2002). I tried Money 2005 but didn't like the changes so went back to 2002. I have looked at several others since, but they didn't have programs as interesting and as helpful. I enter all spending and receipt transactions as they occur (checking receipts, deposits, automatic payments). My investment portfolio is so simple and I do few investment trades, so entering those is just a nuisance as are entering the monthly interest on bond funds and CDs. Heck, being retired so long, I have time to manually enter those things, so I don't mind. Doing those things, not too bad really, I have in one place a complete history of my spending and investing since 1996 which can be helpful and interesting (really!). What I get in return in managing all of my financial history and cash flow planning is well worth it.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:37 am

is Microsoft Money Plus Sunset edition the same as the Money Sunset?

I see posters mentioning Money Sunset. I did a search and found Money Plus Sunset.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Don

GTBuzz

Post by GTBuzz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:50 am

MS Money Tip: If your online bank no longer provides Microsoft Money downloads (.ofx), they almost certainly still offer Quicken downloads (.qfx). Just download the Quicken file, change the file extension from .qfx to .ofx, and voila, your transactions will be imported into Money!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:04 am

GTBuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:50 am
MS Money Tip: If your online bank no longer provides Microsoft Money downloads (.ofx), they almost certainly still offer Quicken downloads (.qfx). Just download the Quicken file, change the file extension from .qfx to .ofx, and voila, your transactions will be imported into Money!
Well, not quite voila. Don't you have to click on something in MS Money to get those transactions (the file) imported? :)

rennale

Post by rennale » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:14 am

Previous recommendations in this forum have included Moneydance, so I started using it. Seems to do everything, including Direct Connect and stock price updating. Works very well for me (no bugs/crashes/etc). Data is stored locally (not in somebody's cloud).

Free trial followed by a low cost purchase.

newbie003

Post by newbie003 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks everybody. I'll give moneydance a try.

I really love MS Money and will probably stick with it, but it's a bit of pain manually downloading regular accounts, ira accounts, 401k accounts, kids' accounts, multiple credit cards...