filing a tax return for children ROTH and 529 distribution

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
doneat53

filing a tax return for children ROTH and 529 distribution

Post by doneat53 »

So with two kids in college we have taken withdrawals from their 529's for the first time and they are receiving 1099-Q's. In addition, I started ROTH's for both kids and contributed for the 2017 tax year. That said neither earned enough to owe taxes for the year. Can someone tell me if I still need to file a tax return for them (or better yet teach them to file one) to "prove to the IRS that they don't owe taxes" or can I just not file because it is clear they don't owe taxes?

Thanks
livesoft

Re: filing a tax return for children ROTH and 529 distribution

Post by livesoft »

They can just not file. However, since their tax returns will be simple make them file their own tax returns in order for them to be good citizens and start learning about the process.

Who is the owner of the 529 plan(s)?

They can start by searching for "Who must file?" at irs.gov. Perhaps what I wrote above is wrong. See Chart B.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

One other benefit to filing a tax return (and especially by doing it early in the tax season) is that it eliminates the possibility of someone filing a fraudulent tax return in their name.
Topic Author
doneat53

Post by doneat53 »

OP: Both suggestions good, thanks!