Should I join Linkedin?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
john4546

Should I join Linkedin?

Post by john4546 »

Should I join Linkedin? For this who have a profile on Linkedin, has having a profile on linked really helped you network and gain work and business opportunities?
Thanks.
stoptothink

Re: Should I join Linkedin?

Post by stoptothink »

It has been a pretty valuable tool for me professionally. I haven't gotten a job or searched for one, nor am I at all looking to switch employers, but I have made some connections with people initially on LinkedIn (many of whom I have now met personally) which has led to some collaborative projects which for sure would be of value if I were to be put in that position.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

You mean the program that searches through your contacts so you can it can spam your friends in your name without your permission?
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

Not sure it has helped me in any way. I signed up before my last job search, but don't use it otherwise. I did not find my job through any LinkedIn contact or job listing. I've only ever used it in a web browser in incognito mode.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:11 am It has been a pretty valuable tool for me professionally. I haven't gotten a job or searched for one, nor am I at all looking to switch employers, but I have made some connections with people initially on LinkedIn (many of whom I have now met personally) which has led to some collaborative projects which for sure would be of value if I were to be put in that position.
My daughter was approached by headhunters via LinkedIn for her last two jobs, both of which ended in her being hired. She wasn't looking for a job either time.

So, it certainly seems to be a good tool, for multiple reasons.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 am You mean the program that searches through your contacts so you can it can spam your friends in your name without your permission?
Yup, this is the one.
Without your permission, and without your knowledge.

Grrrrrr.

I've totally ignored my account for some years now, and those finally stopped.
I'd de-activate it, but I fear any activity would start the flood again, or perhaps some other type of new annoyance.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Had one. Canceled it.

Been getting pressured by manager's manager to set one up again. Been stalling and dragging feet.

I guess it depends on your social/career setting. If you are in the "climb the ladder", be visible, be out there mode, then it is probably worth it.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I got my present job because it popped up on LinkedIn. I sent a LinkedIn message to an acquaintance of mine who worked at the new place with my resume attached, knowing that the company had a $$$ referral program. I never would have looked at this company because they are well known in a business area where I do nothing....but they acquired several companies who do exactly what I specialize in.

I also had to get out from under a non-compete which made the choice of a new employer extremely difficult. (and yes, they did go after others who attempted to get jobs in competing companies and in our state, the non-compete is very enforceable )
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

If you do join, do be careful about allowing access to your contacts. I have had spam emails from several acquaintances who did that and it makes me regret ever giving them my email address in the first place as well as question their competence.

You can also expect to get spam from recruiters and similar if you allow it, along with any good experiences such as Jack FFR1846 describes above.
AnalogKid22

Post by AnalogKid22 »

I primarily use LinkedIn to stay in touch with former co-workers and to see where they end up career-wise. If I'm interviewing candidates for a job and we share connections, I can get outside opinions. If I apply at a company and a connection works there, I can get insight into the employer. When I changed jobs last year, I found LinkedIn Jobs and Glassdoor to have the best listings. Also, recruiters mine LinkedIn data like crazy. If you enable the option for recruiters to contact you, you can expect to get contacted a few times a week - your marketability pending, of course.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:18 am
stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:11 am It has been a pretty valuable tool for me professionally. I haven't gotten a job or searched for one, nor am I at all looking to switch employers, but I have made some connections with people initially on LinkedIn (many of whom I have now met personally) which has led to some collaborative projects which for sure would be of value if I were to be put in that position.
My daughter was approached by headhunters via LinkedIn for her last two jobs, both of which ended in her being hired. She wasn't looking for a job either time.

So, it certainly seems to be a good tool, for multiple reasons.

Broken Man 1999
My wife is in tech sales and has received well over a dozen job offers in the past year, virtually all from LinkedIn connections. She has decided, for quality of life reasons (she's also a full-time student and mother of two, and her current employer is extremely flexible) that she is pretty set on staying at her current employer for at least another 2.5yrs and she has made that pretty clear, but it is good to know the options are out there. Of course there are privacy trade-offs, as there are with any social media/networking platform. Just have to decide if it is worth it to you.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

LinkedIn helped me secure an unlisted job opportunity roughly a week after I got laid off from my previous role. The onboarding would take an additional 6 weeks but removed a lot of uncertainty in my career transition and allowed me to enjoy “funemployment”. The typical period of unemployment in my field at the time was closer to six months to find a comparable full-time position elsewhere.

I am a huge advocate of LinkedIn as being the most well rounded platform for working professionals and think it is an especially underutilized tool in my specific industry.

Any online search of an individual that starts on Google will typically land on LinkedIn. That's a pretty powerful landing page that you can control and put out the best and most up-to-day curriculum vitae that you want to communicate.

Simply joining LinkedIn isn't sufficient however. You have to invest time and energy to build and craft your profile, get a decent headshot posted, add relevant connections and find an organic way to engage with your contacts on the platform (versus networking when you need an immediate favor).
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

For my previous director-level position, the recruiter found me on Linkedin.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

It's extremely helpful for your former high school classmates to see what you do and compare your career to theirs.
RW-Expat

Post by RW-Expat »

My current company found me on LinkedIn - all being well I hope I never have to find another company to work for so I cancelled my account a few months back as I kept getting cold calls from headhunters. Even though my number is not listed a quick search of the company I work for gives your the main number and then they are only a transfer away from speaking to me if I picked up. I was getting at least two or three a week.

If your looking for a new gig I'd say it's worth it, if you want to show off to your contacts that you got the promotion it's worth it. For me it ran it's usefulness so I cancelled it. One less thing to worry about.

Funnily enough life just seems better after cancelling it (and Facebook a few years back!).
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

For white collar professions I'd say it's essential. Most of your job leads are likely to come through linkedin these days.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 am You mean the program that searches through your contacts so you can it can spam your friends in your name without your permission?
It is creepy to see some of the connections it also knows about and maintains between people. For instance, in the list of people it shows me as possible candidates for connecting with is the captain of a snorkel boat in Florida (other side of the country). Seemed weird until I looked at his profile. About seven years ago I had booked a snorkel trip with his company (don’t think it was that actual guy driving the boat). I don’t let Linkedin scan my emails or contacts (don’t have the apps, and don’t have that company in my contacts), so I assume they let LinkedIn scan their former customer contacts. In other words, you can try to protect your friends/associates, but you can’t prevent your information to “leak out” when someone else shares it.

I have never gotten a job via LinkedIn and don’t think I ever will. Do get a lot of fairly untargeted recruiter requests who clearly didn’t read my profile.

I will say it has been useful to “track” the career path of associates and former coworkers.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Both my sons obtained lucrative management job offers (originally unsolicited) by their Linkedin accounts. It worked for them.

Even I have a Linkedin account. It is fun to get emails on occasion that such or such company or head hunter is looking at my resume with interest. It is obvious that some don't look at the resumes closely. Some miss that I am 84 and haven't been employed for 19 years :? .
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I've had one for years and have found it quite useful.
But like all social media, pay attention to your privacy and security settings and don't just stick with the defaults. For example, the world doesn't need to know who you just connected to. And you can choose or not choose to let everybody know when you started a new position. Etc.

My biggest beef with it is the lack of moderators. I sometimes find the feeds interesting, but I'm starting to see people post facebook type puzzles, etc. in there which has no place in a professional networking platform, in my opinion.
T-Wrench

Post by T-Wrench »

I have joined LinkedIn but not found a job or even much interest on it.

If the field you are looking to get into uses LinkedIn, then join the herd and use it so that others in the field can find you.

One of my direct reports said: "LinkedIn? Isn't that Facebook for people who want a job?"

I haven't been able to refute his statement yet. :P
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

dcabler wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:04 pm I sometimes find the feeds interesting, but I'm starting to see people post facebook type puzzles, etc. in there which has no place in a professional networking platform, in my opinion.
Usually it is teenagers complaining that their parents and grandparents are intruding on the social network currently popular with them. It's refreshing to hear that the opposite may be happening on LinkedIn! :P
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

Bingo!! I've told a friend of mine that I keep getting invites from him to join Linkedin. He still doesn't get it.

I had an account and deleted it. Too many unwanted solicitations and then I had to suffer through seeing the lies that former co-workers were using on their profiles.
johnz1001

Post by johnz1001 »

miamivice wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 am It's extremely helpful for your former high school classmates to see what you do and compare your career to theirs.
That's a good one... :sharebeer
ER2023

Post by ER2023 »

RW-Expat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 am If your looking for a new gig I'd say it's worth it, if you want to show off to your contacts that you got the promotion it's worth it. For me it ran it's usefulness so I cancelled it. One less thing to worry about.

Funnily enough life just seems better after cancelling it (and Facebook a few years back!).
+1

I agree with both sides - completely depends on where you are in your career and where you want to go. There are some good articles and posts that I have archived, and if you are interested in keeping track of people professionally or open positions, it's a great tool.

I just thought it was interesting to see how some of the worst bosses or coworkers I've ever had preaching over and over on the site what the traits of "great leaders" are or quoting some motivational message that they really should heed themselves.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

My son is on LinkedIn. After completing some extensive homework and attending two study conferences he passed an exam which let him add an upgraded professional qualification to his LinkedIn profile. He had hoped his new credential might help him advance at his current employer, but within a month after updating his LinkedIn profile another local company contacted him and invited him to apply for a similar but significantly higher paying job. He has been with the new company for a few years now and is very happy.
nova1968

Post by nova1968 »

Unlike FB or Google, if you look someone up they are going to know you looked at their profile, although there is a way to disable the who you viewed feature.
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

yes, for many of the reasons that have been listed already.

I will delete my profile when I retire -- or change my status/employer to RETIRED and then point people to the BH site :D
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
uberdoc

Post by uberdoc »

Useless garbage if you are a physician.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Depends on your field, but in tech it’s essential. It’s how everyone in tech gets hired now.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
PVW

Post by PVW »

Can't really comment on the job hunting benefits. I have a narrow skill set and the recruiting contacts and job ads from LinkedIn rarely fit my qualifications.

I maintain my LinkedIn profile for the benefit of my employer. They, in part, pay me for my credentials and customer's occasionally want to know what my qualifications are.
mikestorm

Post by mikestorm »

LinkedIn can be very useful. A few years back I invested considerable time and effort into bolstering my LinkedIn profile right before I asked for a raise. I wanted to demonstrate I was preparing for a jump should they deny my request, and updating your LinkedIn profile is a great signal to that effect. While they were considering my request I also applied for some internal job postings simultaneously, and overtly asked my boss if I could excuse myself for the interviews elsewhere in the building. Given they were all promotions, I was prepared to accept if my theatrics inadvertently triggered a real job offer.

They got the point; I got my raise.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

One useful thing to do might be to create an account for yourself so that no one else does:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... have_.html
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... _link.html
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Having a profile is just a small aspect. You need to work it behind the scene with real networking, or grow it with care, like a plant. Must have a headshot; people like to connect with a face, not a no-name.

Emulate a profile with someone in your specialty to attract. Your 2-line summary are very key. People have very little patience to learn about you, so you need them to scroll down to see more of you than the initial 2-line.

Sooner or later, we need to change jobs. Best time to grow your network is when you're employed. Join your own specialty groups will also enhance your network.
kappy

Post by kappy »

As an engineer, it's extremely useful. I'm not someone who goes in to update my profile every month but I'll update it maybe once a year and keep it current. I let mine read like a resume with maybe a little more detail as you're not limited on length. I probably get one email a week from a head hunter and went through the process a few years ago with a recruiter for a very large tech company. Didn't end up taking their offer but I can say with certainty that companies from small to large are using it to find talent.
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

I (reluctantly) joined for a different reason. Not really a fan of social media, but a while back my megacorp had a layoff that included some truly puzzling layoffs of colleagues who I thought were doing well. The only common thread I could think of was they were all over 50. Of course, the layoff included people of all ages, which serves as cover so it would be hard to say it was blatantly age-related. There were various unverifiable reasons given on how or why people were selected.

It just made me realize more than I previously had, that very few people are "safe" in the vast population of a megacorp, and a company can always create enough vague categories that were alleged to be the trigger for the layoffs such that nearly everyone would fit into at least one. Heck, there are probably companies who provide data mining applications to help companies create the minimum set of legal layoff reasons such that every employee fits at least one.

In any case, you wouldn't want to get laid off without a reservoir of contacts across a range of companies and job types that you might be interested in (even if you might consider retiring from full time work if you were laid off), so that was my reason for joining. I don't use it actively, and have all the privacy settings at about their strictest setting. I use it more like a selective rolodex.

I think people who travel a lot for their job, to large industry gatherings or working groups where people get exposed to your work ethic and skill set could probably do fine without Linkedin. But if you don't fit that category, and are in the 50+ crowd, there's probably a speculative benefit to joining.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

It depends on your situation. I'm in tech, I love my current job, I do not want to relocate, and it's a good job. LinkedIn is of really no benefit for my situation.

I get hounded by green recruiters for terrible temp jobs regularly. They occasionally get me confused with someone else. Sales people use LinkedIn as a starting place to track me down on the phone system at work.
MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead »

ClevrChico wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 pm It depends on your situation. I'm in tech, I love my current job, I do not want to relocate, and it's a good job. LinkedIn is of really no benefit for my situation.

I get hounded by green recruiters for terrible temp jobs regularly. They occasionally get me confused with someone else. Sales people use LinkedIn as a starting place to track me down on the phone system at work.
I kept getting calls from tech recruiters who knew what I made and making me ridiculous lowball offers. One guy in particular called me on a regular basis. he would describe every aspect of the job to me, confirm my background (saying it was part of the process) and then would come the lowball. figure. finally i asked him why he did this. and he told me. The companies wanted to hire an H!B worker but were first required to prove they had tried to hire an American worker and since my skills were rather obscure I was a frequent match with recruiters who had to find an American with those skills who they knew would turn down any job offer. Hence why they went through a process with me. It was because they knew I would not take the job in the first place. Naturally after that I simply started to hang up all recruiters who initiated contact with me.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

If you are in sales, be careful (see previous post about privacy settings). Those who connect with you may be trying to access your client list who you have "connected" with on LinkedIn.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

stimulacra wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 am LinkedIn helped me secure an unlisted job opportunity roughly a week after I got laid off from my previous role. The onboarding would take an additional 6 weeks but removed a lot of uncertainty in my career transition and allowed me to enjoy “funemployment”. The typical period of unemployment in my field at the time was closer to six months to find a comparable full-time position elsewhere.

I am a huge advocate of LinkedIn as being the most well rounded platform for working professionals and think it is an especially underutilized tool in my specific industry.

Any online search of an individual that starts on Google will typically land on LinkedIn. That's a pretty powerful landing page that you can control and put out the best and most up-to-day curriculum vitae that you want to communicate.

Simply joining LinkedIn isn't sufficient however. You have to invest time and energy to build and craft your profile, get a decent headshot posted, add relevant connections and find an organic way to engage with your contacts on the platform (versus networking when you need an immediate favor).
+1

I found it useful when I was searching for a job several years ago and continue to receive in-mail from recruiters about jobs. I have referred a few people (with their permission) to recruiters when I knew they were in the job market. Since these recruiters are almost always looking to fill jobs for which I am qualified, I don't consider it "spam". I was spammed when I had my profile posted on indeed.com and kept getting emails about buying a franchise or from recruiters in fields totally unrelated to my qualifications! Thankfully that has finally died down.

It is also fun to catch up with former coworkers and find out when they get a new job or a promotion. That creates a natural opportunity to keep in touch.

I agree with stimulacra that its value is proportional to the amount of effort you put into it. Although once you do put the time in it is fairly easy to maintain. IMO anyone who is worried about a potential layoff or is thinking about job hunting should be proactive and set up a LinkedIn profile. I had some personal business cards printed up when I was job hunting with my contact information and the URL for my public LinkedIn profile. That was great for networking when you may meet a dozen people and then later have problems remembering who was who.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Were you on the receiving end our the giving end? I believe you have to provide your email password in order for it to it to scan your contacts, so the "without your permission" part is debatable IMO. If you have all your passwords set to the same thing, I can see someone logging into that feature without knowing it though.
jadd806

Post by jadd806 »

I consider LinkedIn to be rubbish that encourages nepotism.
gd

Post by gd »

Slow morning, piling on. I joined it for a year a long time ago for a hobby career, particularly to give potential customers (lots of tech people) a credible means for reviewing my background. There was an unending stream of suggestions for connections with people I could see no reason to connect to or, in many cases, why I was exposed to. I expect Kevin Bacon was in there somewhere. When I discovered I couldn't suspend the junk emails during overseas trips with limited email access, I closed my account.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

I have found it before helpful for being seen by recruiters, which is how 90% of hiring gets done in my field.

It's also useful for the "passive" job hunter, as if you are marketable and set your profile up right it'll send you a steady stream of positions in your field so you can understand what your job market really looks like.

Not helpful for true networking, nor for jobs that are typically filled before they get listed, nor for public sector jobs.
rennale

Post by rennale »

The HR department of the company I worked for (prior to retirement) used LinkedIn extensively to find candidates for open job positions. In fact, aside from looking at the resumes of people who applied for jobs directly through the company's website, it wasn't clear that the recruiters bothered to do anything else at all.

And it was common to find a candidate's resume posted verbatim on LinkedIn.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I received one of these spams just moments ago. I get them all the time.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I've been a member for years. Like anything else, if you work it and use it as part of your overall strategy it can be useful. At a minimum, you can maintain contact with people you know which I enjoy.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I had a Linkedin profile years ago, but I deleted it. I would advise against joining Linkedin unless you're fully comfortable with the potential risks.

As others have already mentioned, be prepared to deal with the spam. You may very well receive a number of bogus job offers as well as your contacts getting spammed with invites to join Linkedin.

Another risk is having someone use your personal/professional information for malicious intent.

Yes, you might be able to find a good job or even your dream job on Linkedin. However, I think personal references and contacting companies directly is a much more effective approach to securing a job then advertising yourself on Linkedin.
CaliCouple

Post by CaliCouple »

Many have made good points already..a few additional notes

- You should have a presence because you can use it as a rolodex to keep in touch with your professional contacts even if you are not looking for a job.
- Spam is a problem, even if you do not give permission to use your contacts LinkedIn (and most other social media platforms) look at others who have given access to their contacts and will try to connect the two you. It will then try and connect you to your correspondents contacts and so on..this can get annoying very quickly. The solution I found is to create a separate email-id for LinkedIn and not use/expose that to anyone but LinkedIn. You can communicate with your LinkedIn contacts via their messages or by their email bypassing LinkedIn. This way you control your network and not LinkedIn.
Leif

Post by Leif »

I get these requests to join from people I don't even know. I got one today. I'm feed up. I just blocked the whole linkedIn.com domain. Hopefully that will do it.