What is a good flat rate cash back credit card?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Tbonerazor

What is a good flat rate cash back credit card?

Post by Tbonerazor » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:49 am

Hi.

I am looking for a flat rate cashback credit card. I have a Discover It and BofA Cash Rewards. I am also looking for a sign up bonus to give that initial boost to earnings.
I came across some choices:
1) Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards
Pros: bonus, flat rate cash back(1.5%), i have heard cap one does soft pulls on CLIs
Cons: the required credit for this card seems to vary, Cap one website says Excellent, NerdWallet says it helps to rebuild credit and the reviews seem to suggest they stop everything as suspected activity
2) US Bank Cash 365 Amex
Pros: Sign up bonus, flat rate cash back
Cons: there are not a lot of reviews about this card(maybe it is new?), there is not a lot of information about CLIs etc

Any advice or recommendations?
Btw, i looked at the citi double cash but the no-sign -up bonus was a dead end.

Jags4186

Re: What is a good flat rate cash back credit card?

Post by Jags4186 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:54 am

Tbonerazor wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:49 am
Hi.

I am looking for a flat rate cashback credit card. I have a Discover It and BofA Cash Rewards. I am also looking for a sign up bonus to give that initial boost to earnings.
Pros: bonus, flat rate cash back(1.5%), i have heard cap one does soft pulls on CLIs
Cons: the required credit for this card seems to vary, Cap one website says Excellent, NerdWallet says it helps to rebuild credit and the reviews seem to suggest they stop everything as suspected activity
2) US Bank Cash 365 Amex
Cons: there are not a lot of reviews about this card(maybe it is new?), there is not a lot of information about CLIs etc

You don't sign up for Citi Doublecash. You sign up for a Citi card that has a bonus, then after getting the bonus, convert it to Citi Doublecash. For example Citi is offering 30,000 points on hits Thank you Premier card right now. They usually have 50,000 point offers. You can trade those points in for gift cards or statement credits. I'd recommend gift cards so you get $0.01/point value.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:09 am

Fidelity 2% cash back unlimited. But you need a FIdo account, and no signup bonus.

Chase Freedom Unlimitd. 1.5% cash back, small signup bonus.

Several cards are good for various categories. Amex Blu Preferred is 6% cash back on groceries.

ThePrince

Post by ThePrince » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:10 am

Tbonerazor wrote:
Hi.

2) US Bank Cash 365 Amex

Perhaps the Fidelity 2% cash back card?

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:14 am

The USA card looks pretty good, particularly if you like to churn cards given the $150 bonus. If not go for the bigger %. I've got a 2% card that is no longer 2% for new customers that originally only paid a $50 bonus. We use this for most of our purchases other than gas, grocery and special offers. Over the last 5.5 years, the 2% card has returned over $3200 on over $149k in purchases, including the original $50 bonus. Then again I'm not interested in jumping to new cards unless my old ones change terms, which they have in some cases, and never for the good. We've froze our credit years ago so unfreezing it is required for a new card. The last new one we had was the Sallie Mae 5% rebate on grocery, gas and books (Amazon). That deal lasted only about two years. I think it only had a $25 bonus. Over its life, its total return was about $500 on $10k purchases. A bigger bonus might have incentivized the company to maintain their investment in keeping me as a customer.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:07 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:09 am
Fidelity 2% cash back unlimited.
+1

student

Post by student » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Fidelity 2% cash back or Citi double cash (2%). If you have at least $100,000 assets that you can transfer to Merrill Edge, you can get a Bank of America credit card for extra rewards. See Preferred Rewards. viewtopic.php?t=150033

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 pm

PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa earns 2% cash back and has a $100 signup bonus, but you have to join the credit union and open an Access America checking account. If you don't want to do that, Citi Double Cash and Fidelity are your best bets.

However, if you already have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa, you should investigate the Chase Freedom Unlimited. Although it only earns 1.5% cash back, you can transfer the points from the Freedom Unlimited to the Sapphire Reserve and increase the overall yield from 1.5% to 2.25%.

By the way, focusing on the signup bonus is a wasted effort because no true cash back card has a decent signup bonus. Just focus on the 2% earnings. They add up fast.
Retiree with a pension and a 60/40 taxable portfolio: Total Stock + Total Int'l + Total Bond + Interm Term Tax Exempt.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:16 pm

If you're willing and able to move 100k over to Merrill Edge and open a BoA checking account you can get 2.625% on all spend, plus a bonus from Merrill.

trigger08

Post by trigger08 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:50 pm

+1 for the Fidelity 2% card - you need a "Fidelity" account but it can be their Cash Management Account rather than something you plan to use for investing. The CMA makes a good "hub" checking/billpay account and reimburses ATM fees.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:16 pm
If you're willing and able to move 100k over to Merrill Edge and open a BoA checking account you can get 2.625% on all spend, plus a bonus from Merrill.
The OP asked about cash back cards. The BoA card - presumably the Travel Rewards card you are talking about - is not a cash back card. The 2.625% rate can only be achieved if you spend the rewards on travel expenses. Since this card does not offer trip cancellation coverage, and I have a high rate of medical cancellations, that card is a non-starter for me. I would never charge any travel expense to a card that doesn't offer such coverage. If I could get the 2.625% truly as cash back, I would be happy to sign up for the card. But it just doesn't make sense as it currently stands.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:16 pm
The OP asked about cash back cards. The BoA card - presumably the Travel Rewards card you are talking about - is not a cash back card. The 2.625% rate can only be achieved if you spend the rewards on travel expenses. Since this card does not offer trip cancellation coverage, and I have a high rate of medical cancellations, that card is a non-starter for me. I would never charge any travel expense to a card that doesn't offer such coverage. If I could get the 2.625% truly as cash back, I would be happy to sign up for the card. But it just doesn't make sense as it currently stands.
It's true that I didn't specify which card, but I didn't mean Travel Rewards. I like the BoA Premium and that's the card I had in mind when I wrote that. The annual fee is easily wiped out by the airline incidental and global entry reimbursement, at least in my situation. And it's an honest to goodness cash back card, with my funds for any purpose going straight to my checking account on a monthly basis. The cash back on restaurants and travel is 3.5%, 2.625% on general spend.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 pm
However, if you already have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa, you should investigate the Chase Freedom Unlimited. Although it only earns 1.5% cash back, you can transfer the points from the Freedom Unlimited to the Sapphire Reserve and increase the overall yield from 1.5% to 2.25%.
Be careful assuming you really get an increase from 1.5% to 2.25% in your rewards rate by holding both CFU and CSR. You can only achieve the 2.25% if you spend your rewards on the Chase travel portal. Thus, it is not actually cash back. That portal usually charges more than other travel sites in my experience, and has a limited selection in terms of which rooms and flights are available. I can almost always do better than what the Chase portal charges by at least 10%. And often my first choice of hotel is just not available on the portal at all. The 2.25% Chase portal travel rewards certainly isn't as good as 2.25% cash back. Nevertheless, I do hold this combination of cards - CSR and CFU. But I don't use the CFU card very much nowadays. I use the CSR for dining, and for travel expenses - CSR has a decent travel insurance policy.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm
It's true that I didn't specify which card, but I didn't mean Travel Rewards. I like the BoA Premium and that's the card I had in mind when I wrote that. The annual fee is easily wiped out by the airline incidental and global entry reimbursement, at least in my situation. And it's an honest to goodness cash back card, with my funds for any purpose going straight to my checking account on a monthly basis. The cash back on restaurants and travel is 3.5%, 2.625% on general spend.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this card. Seems like it does have some trip cancellation insurance, though not as good as CSR. Am I correct that there is no authorized user fee unlike CSR ? Have you had any issues with getting the airline incidentals reimbursed ?

This sounds like a card I might be interested in signing up for at least for the bonus. I do have funds at Merrill already - waiting for a $1000 asset transfer bonus to post any day now. Don't have a checking at BoA and have had a bad experience with them not paying rewards as promised in the past, though.

Not sure if the 0.625% extra on general spending over the Citi double cash 2% makes that much sense for me in the long run. Citi adds 24 months extended warranty on everything up to 7 years total - I find that quite handy especially for big ticket items. The Price rewind feature is also easy to take advantage of and well worth it. Looks like the BoA card has no price protection at all. There seems to be no shortage of introductory offers on other cards for general spend. So maybe this is a card to get mainly for the bonus, and then churn it.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:36 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:21 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this card. Seems like it does have some trip cancellation insurance, though not as good as CSR. Am I correct that there is no authorized user fee unlike CSR ? Have you had any issues with getting the airline incidentals reimbursed ?

This sounds like a card I might be interested in signing up for at least for the bonus. I do have funds at Merrill already - waiting for a $1000 asset transfer bonus to post any day now. Don't have a checking at BoA and have had a bad experience with them not paying rewards as promised in the past, though.

Not sure if the 0.625% extra on general spending over the Citi double cash 2% makes that much sense for me in the long run. Citi adds 24 months extended warranty on everything up to 7 years total - I find that quite handy especially for big ticket items. The Price rewind feature is also easy to take advantage of and well worth it. Looks like the BoA card has no price protection at all. There seems to be no shortage of introductory offers on other cards for general spend. So maybe this is a card to get mainly for the bonus, and then churn it.
I don't think there a fee to add a user, but I'm not sure about that. I haven't done it myself. The airline incidentals have worked without a hitch for me. I've used it on major domestic airlines. I would think you are taking more risk with a foreign airline or a small domestic airline, that an airline incidental charge was not "coded" as BoA expects or whatever. I've also discovered to my surprise, that airlines often don't charge my card at all when I buy things on the plane.

Sockpuppet

Post by Sockpuppet » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa earns 2% cash back and has a $100 signup bonus, but you have to join the credit union and open an Access America checking account. If you don't want to do that, Citi Double Cash and Fidelity are your best bets.

By the way, focusing on the signup bonus is a wasted effort because no true cash back card has a decent signup bonus. Just focus on the 2% earnings. They add up fast.
OP already has it, but I really like Discover matchback sign up offer. That is at the first year they match all the cashback you've earned. I've only had the card since July and have already earned a $560 match.*

*Note: I got married and installed hardwood floors on the house so I've had some high expenses this year.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:03 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:03 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Be careful assuming you really get an increase from 1.5% to 2.25% in your rewards rate by holding both CFU and CSR. You can only achieve the 2.25% if you spend your rewards on the Chase travel portal. Thus, it is not actually cash back. That portal usually charges more than other travel sites in my experience, and has a limited selection in terms of which rooms and flights are available. I can almost always do better than what the Chase portal charges by at least 10%. And often my first choice of hotel is just not available on the portal at all. The 2.25% Chase portal travel rewards certainly isn't as good as 2.25% cash back. Nevertheless, I do hold this combination of cards - CSR and CFU. But I don't use the CFU card very much nowadays. I use the CSR for dining, and for travel expenses - CSR has a decent travel insurance policy.
I never redeem Ultimate Rewards points through the Chase travel portal. I transfer the points from Chase to United Airlines where the frequent flyer miles are worth 1.5 cents each for the European trips for which I use them. That’s a 2.25% redemption.
Retiree with a pension and a 60/40 taxable portfolio: Total Stock + Total Int'l + Total Bond + Interm Term Tax Exempt.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:33 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:03 pm
I never redeem Ultimate Rewards points through the Chase travel portal. I transfer the points from Chase to United Airlines where the frequent flyer miles are worth 1.5 cents each for the European trips for which I use them. That’s a 2.25% redemption.
Lucky you - I haven't found too many United redemptions that were really worth it. United charges award booking fees too.
In case of trip cancellation, Chase will reimburse you at 1 cent per transferred point only, also. Not as good as cash booking where they would refund everything.

VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm

I like Cap One Quicksilver over Citi Double Cash as Cap One allows you to redeem whenever. Citi requires you to redeem only when rewards are over $25. Not a huge deal but for me I usually use Cap One.

trav867

Post by trav867 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm

I use the capitalone quicksilver for the sake of simplicity. It's the only credit card I carry. 1.5%, and no foreign transaction fee. Customer service is generally good.

gostars

Post by gostars » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:25 pm

The regular Bank of America Cash Rewards card with $100k at M-E. Works out to 3.5% on groceries/warehouse, 5.25% on gas, and 1.75% on everything else. Since groceries make up a big chunk of what I spend on that card, it comes out even or ahead of the Citi or Fidelity cards. You do have to redeem into a B of A account, but since rewards customers have fees waived, you can keep an account around with nothing in it and use it solely for collecting rewards and moving them to wherever you actually want the money.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:30 pm

AmEx Blue Preferred is a good option. As top benefits have a limit, it's best used in conjunction with another card.

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:35 am

As stated above -- Fidelity 2% Visa. They periodically give a $100 sign up bonus and the requirements to get that bonus aren't difficult to reach.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 am

madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:33 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Lucky you - I haven't found too many United redemptions that were really worth it. United charges award booking fees too.
In case of trip cancellation, Chase will reimburse you at 1 cent per transferred point only, also. Not as good as cash booking where they would refund everything.
I have redeemed United miles for 5 trips to Europe since 2015 (4 on United and 1 on Lufthansa). Each trip has used 60,000 miles, and there has never been an award booking fee, just the taxes. I have been flying for 50 years, and I have never cancelled a personal trip, so i don't consider trip cancellation a serious risk needing to be addressed.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 am

The BofA card with a linked up investment account at Merrill is the best thing going in terms of a pure cash back card. Capital One hasn't come out with anything competitive in years, despite their marketing and commercials. The BofA premium card gives 2.625% cash back anywhere and 3.5% on dining/travel. The $500 initial spend bonus is nice, and the $95 AF is easily offset by the $100 incidental statement, which folks on Flyertalk have reported work on airline gift cards if you for some reason don't use the $100 incidental statement credit throughout the year. The $100 credit also is good per calendar year, which is good for two $100 incidental statement credits in your first year of ownership. TSA/Global entry credit as well right off the bat. Takes 90 days from funding your Merrill account to apply under BofA's rewards program, that's the only hurdle.

Quick and easy 2% no fee card is the Citi Doublecash. Again, I have no idea what the point of the Capital One 1.5% card (quicksilver) is. Their 2% card (Venture) is only redeemable on travel purchases so that one is pointless too. Their business 2% card (Spark) has a $95 annual fee. All three of these Cap1 cards are made obsolete by Citi's no fee 2% Doublecash. Cap1 also hard pulls all three bureaus.

TinkerPDX

Post by TinkerPDX » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:33 am

2% fidelity visa, unless you can score the 2.5% USAA visa, which is only available in one state (LA I think) but randomly is sometimes (or at least has sometimes been) offered elsewhere.

revert

Post by revert » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:30 pm

TinkerPDX wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:33 am
2% fidelity visa, unless you can score the 2.5% USAA visa, which is only available in one state (LA I think) but randomly is sometimes (or at least has sometimes been) offered elsewhere.
Not even LA anymore - the USAA card is closed to new applications.

solobuildingblogs

Post by solobuildingblogs » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Not quite cash but no one has mentioned the US Bank altitude reserve. If you travel it’s easy to redeem points at 1.5 cent per point. Their portal use orbitz so easy to boook airfares (keep in mind that hotel bookings are usually non refundable so I avoid using Us bank points).

You get three points per dollar for Apple Pay (supermarket and gas) as well as travel. Three points is 4.5% back. So when I’m between churning cards for sign up bonuses I use this card along with chase sapphire for double points at restaurants.

There’s a steep $400 annual fee which is offset by $325 in travel credits (even booking a tour or buying a subway pass triggers this credit, very easy to use).

And the signup bonus is 50k points worth $750...

rashad3000

Post by rashad3000 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Alliant Credit Union Visa Signature Card.

Earn 3% cash back in the first year with the Alliant Cashback Visa® Signature Credit Card. $59 annual fee waived for the first year. Card goes to 2.5% after that.

C8H10N4O2 fix

Post by C8H10N4O2 fix » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:31 pm

I use the QuickSilver 1.5% cash back card. No issues. Redeeming cash is quick and simple. Never had an issue.

I've been debating the Alliant card, but didn't feel like getting a ding on my credit report.
Some say cash is king. I say coffee is king.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:45 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 am
madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:33 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
I have redeemed United miles for 5 trips to Europe since 2015 (4 on United and 1 on Lufthansa). Each trip has used 60,000 miles, and there has never been an award booking fee, just the taxes. I have been flying for 50 years, and I have never cancelled a personal trip, so i don't consider trip cancellation a serious risk needing to be addressed.
Must be because you are a frequent United flyer. I booked awards on United from SFO to HKG in 2016 and was charged award booking fees in addition to taxes. Have had to cancel many personal trips due to last minute illness, so trip cancellation coverage is a must for me.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:48 pm

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 am
The BofA card with a linked up investment account at Merrill is the best thing going in terms of a pure cash back card. Capital One hasn't come out with anything competitive in years, despite their marketing and commercials. The BofA premium card gives 2.625% cash back anywhere and 3.5% on dining/travel. The $500 initial spend bonus is nice, and the $95 AF is easily offset by the $100 incidental statement, which folks on Flyertalk have reported work on airline gift cards if you for some reason don't use the $100 incidental statement credit throughout the year. The $100 credit also is good per calendar year, which is good for two $100 incidental statement credits in your first year of ownership. TSA/Global entry credit as well right off the bat. Takes 90 days from funding your Merrill account to apply under BofA's rewards program, that's the only hurdle.
Good to know that the airline gift cards work for incidentals. If one already has funds at Merrill, would the bonus post instantly when spending is met ? Or do I still need a BofA checking account ?
Quick and easy 2% no fee card is the Citi Doublecash. Again, I have no idea what the point of the Capital One 1.5% card (quicksilver) is. Their 2% card (Venture) is only redeemable on travel purchases so that one is pointless too. Their business 2% card (Spark) has a $95 annual fee. All three of these Cap1 cards are made obsolete by Citi's no fee 2% Doublecash. Cap1 also hard pulls all three bureaus.
I believe Citi 2% doublecash has a 3% foreign transaction fee, as does the Fidelity 2% VISA, whereas the Capital One 1.5% quicksilver card does not. If you only want to carry no-annual fee cards, then the Quicksilver card makes sense for foreign purchases.
The Quicksilver also has no minimum redemption, unlike the Fidelity. Looks like Doublecash has a minimum redemption too.
If you only use these cards occasionally (say, for non-category spending), then Fidelity and Citi cards don't make sense as you might never meet the minimum redemptions (or once every few years), whereas the Quicksilver does.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:45 pm
Must be because you are a frequent United flyer. I booked awards on United from SFO to HKG in 2016 and was charged award booking fees in addition to taxes. Have had to cancel many personal trips due to last minute illness, so trip cancellation coverage is a must for me.
There are two award booking fees for general MileagePlus members:

$25 if you call in to make the reservation
$75 if you book within 21 days of departure

(I think both are pretty common among US carriers)

You can typically get the $25 fee waived if the reservation cannot be made online for some reason (e.g., partner airline not bookable online or reservation process errors out)

At the moment I use my Chase Freedom Unlimited in conjunction with my CSR to earn UR. I have booked many international award trips with UA over the years, and UR is nowadays a major source of miles since I don't fly a lot of revenue flights on UA/Star Alliance these days due to the switch to revenue based earnings.

I don't have any actual cashback card, but will likely get the Citi Doublecash card one of these days, likely via product change.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:28 pm

The Capital One Spark has a good bonus and is also 2% cash back card.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:12 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:05 pm
madbrain wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:45 pm
There are two award booking fees for general MileagePlus members:

$25 if you call in to make the reservation
$75 if you book within 21 days of departure

(I think both are pretty common among US carriers)

You can typically get the $25 fee waived if the reservation cannot be made online for some reason (e.g., partner airline not bookable online or reservation process errors out)

At the moment I use my Chase Freedom Unlimited in conjunction with my CSR to earn UR. I have booked many international award trips with UA over the years, and UR is nowadays a major source of miles since I don't fly a lot of revenue flights on UA/Star Alliance these days due to the switch to revenue based earnings.

I don't have any actual cashback card, but will likely get the Citi Doublecash card one of these days, likely via product change.
You are correct. I usually make my reservations about 4 months in advance, and I always make them online, never over the phone.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:54 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:54 am
Tbonerazor wrote:
Hi.

2) US Bank Cash 365 Amex

You don't sign up for Citi Doublecash. You sign up for a Citi card that has a bonus, then after getting the bonus, convert it to Citi Doublecash. For example Citi is offering 30,000 points on hits Thank you Premier card right now. They usually have 50,000 point offers. You can trade those points in for gift cards or statement credits. I'd recommend gift cards so you get $0.01/point value.
Nice this is smart

I wish I would have thought of that instead of directly applying for the Citi Double Cash

Easiest card to use IMO if you don't travel internationally

If you shop Amazon often, I also like the prime store card for 5% cash back as an automatic statement redemption

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:38 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
We sometimes find quite good value on the Chase reward site, and last year found a room in a specific hotel we wanted that was "sold out" everywhere else including the hotel website.

We transfer our points to Southwest Airlines, which has a nearby hub, much better service than United (including no baggage or change fees) and redemption value of 1.5 to 1.75 cents per point. We just bought international tickets for our next vacation at 1.64.

Marylander1

ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:51 pm

rashad3000 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Alliant Credit Union Visa Signature Card.

Earn 3% cash back in the first year with the Alliant Cashback Visa® Signature Credit Card. $59 annual fee waived for the first year. Card goes to 2.5% after that.
+1 Just signed up but may not hold after year 1 as I can get 4% (gas) and 3% (restaurants/travel) with other cash back cards without annual fee.

ImmigrantSaver

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Check out uber visa

Tbonerazor

Post by Tbonerazor » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Thank you so much for all your inputs my fellow Bogleheads :) really appreciate the discussion.
Is it more pragmatic to get multiple chase cards and pool the UR? i am planning to apply for a CSP in 6-8 months as i have some expenses coming up and want to hit the spend bonus then.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:08 am

trav867 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm
I use the capitalone quicksilver for the sake of simplicity. It's the only credit card I carry. 1.5%, and no foreign transaction fee. Customer service is generally good.
VAslim16 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm
I like Cap One Quicksilver over Citi Double Cash as Cap One allows you to redeem whenever. Citi requires you to redeem only when rewards are over $25. Not a huge deal but for me I usually use Cap One.
+1

I also recently got a Chase 1.5% card but the Capital One is more convenient. I think I got signup bonuses with both, but I don't remember. Unlike a post earlier on, I have not found their fraud people to be overzealous.

I look for simplicity, since I only charge in two states and online and don't travel, so the CapOne card is fine for me.

algorithm

Post by algorithm » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:09 am

UBER visa 4% cash back on restaurants
Costco visa 4% cash back on gas and 3% on travel
Amazon visa 5% cash back on amazon.com and whole food markets
Discover it card 5% cash back on rotating categories
Amex blue cash 3% cash back on groceries
Chase freedom 5% cash back on rotating categories
US cash plus card 5% cash back on 2 categories you choose per quarter.
Fidelity visa 2% cash back on all purchases

https://www.hotpersonalfinance.com/maxi ... dit-cards/

chasingadvice

Post by chasingadvice » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 pm

algorithm wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:09 am

Would Costco purchases with Chase Freedom (Grocery stores this quarter) give 5% back ?

On the website it says :
5 Does not include purchases made at Walmart® or Target®, discount, or warehouse club stores, except for purchases made with these merchants using Chase Pay or PayPal (a 5% category). If you do not use Chase Pay or PayPal you will still earn unlimited 1% cash back on these purchases

algorithm

Post by algorithm » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:22 pm

chasingadvice wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 pm
algorithm wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:09 am

Would Costco purchases with Chase Freedom (Grocery stores this quarter) give 5% back ?

On the website it says :
5 Does not include purchases made at Walmart® or Target®, discount, or warehouse club stores, except for purchases made with these merchants using Chase Pay or PayPal (a 5% category). If you do not use Chase Pay or PayPal you will still earn unlimited 1% cash back on these purchases
No, costco purchases with Chase freedom (grocery stores this quarter) will not give 5% back

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Tbonerazor wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Thank you so much for all your inputs my fellow Bogleheads :) really appreciate the discussion.
Is it more pragmatic to get multiple chase cards and pool the UR? i am planning to apply for a CSP in 6-8 months as i have some expenses coming up and want to hit the spend bonus then.
Google “Chase 5/24 rule”. If you do not exceed the constraints of this rule, you should not have any problems getting multiple cards.
You can get the Chase Preferred first and then after a few months, after you get the bonus you can product change the card to a Chase Freedom or Chase Unlimited. These are no annual fee cards. In this way you would not have to pay the annual fee for the Preferred. Using the Chase management portal it is easy to combine points between cards. For cash back I do not think you would need to.

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 pm

DrGrnTum wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 pm
Tbonerazor wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Google “Chase 5/24 rule”. If you do not exceed the constraints of this rule, you should not have any problems getting multiple cards.
You can get the Chase Preferred first and then after a few months, after you get the bonus you can product change the card to a Chase Freedom or Chase Unlimited. These are no annual fee cards. In this way you would not have to pay the annual fee for the Preferred. Using the Chase management portal it is easy to combine points between cards. For cash back I do not think you would need to.
If your thinking of getting another Chase card I would right now consider the Chase Unlimited. The link shown below calls out the latest promotion for the card.
https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-back ... g1/ccpers1

Right now, if you get this card you will get 3% cash back on all purchases for the year. Then later you can get the CSP.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:12 am

Just stopping by to state that Citi cards have other consumer protection/insurance benefits that are pretty nice. Ie, +2 years on warranties for example, and the excellent price rewind program. This easily makes the Double Cash card superior to the Fidelity 2% for example IMO.

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:25 am

Someone may have mentioned this, but there is one small caveat with the Citi Double Cash which I was not aware of for a long time. If you apply cash back rewards to your statement credit you do not get the second 1% match on that amount. So I switched and started getting a check sent when I redeem rewards.

Looking4Answers

Post by Looking4Answers » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:52 am

I use Citi Double Cash for most purchases. However, a card that is seldom mentioned that has some good features - Sam's Club Mastercard. It gives 5% back on gas, 3% on restaurant and travel, 1% on everything else. It also has no foreign transaction fee. You do, however, have to be a Sam's Club member to have it, base membership $40 a year.

student

Post by student » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 am

Looking4Answers wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:25 am
Someone may have mentioned this, but there is one small caveat with the Citi Double Cash which I was not aware of for a long time. If you apply cash back rewards to your statement credit you do not get the second 1% match on that amount. So I switched and started getting a check sent when I redeem rewards.
I am under the impression that it works as follows:
1) Month 1: You spend $100. You get $1 back for the $100 purchase. You receive a statement.
2) Month 2: You spend $0. You pay the $100 from the statement. You get $1 back for the $100 payment.

This is consistent with the description given. https://www.creditdonkey.com/double-cash-review.html