Trip cancellation insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Swimmer

Trip cancellation insurance

Post by Swimmer »

I booked a tour to the tune of about $5600 through Road Scholar.

Trip cancellation insurance is $611. I have 5 days to decide whether or not to purchase it. On most of my travel, I decline it and have been lucky so far. OTOH this is a pricey trip.

I’d love to hear some opinions. To me, $611 sounds expensive and I’m leaning toward declining. :confused
N10sive

Re: Trip cancellation insurance

Post by N10sive »

Have you gotten other trip insurance quotes? $611 sound a bit expensive.

What kind of tour is it? Are you going with anyone?

I have paid for trip insurance but most of my trips involve biking, skiing, etc. So if I lose my gear it pays for rentals. The last was around $300 I think for insurance on a 6k trip. I had a friend who wished she bought trip insurance since her partner broke his leg and they ended up canceling their multiple flight journey to Europe and Iceland.
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

N10sive wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:29 pm Have you gotten other trip insurance quotes? $611 sound a bit expensive.

What kind of tour is it? Are you going with anyone?

I have paid for trip insurance but most of my trips involve biking, skiing, etc. So if I lose my gear it pays for rentals. The last was around $300 I think for insurance on a 6k trip. I had a friend who wished she bought trip insurance since her partner broke his leg and they ended up canceling their multiple flight journey to Europe and Iceland.
I’m traveling solo, so, no one else is involved. It is a Crystal riverboat trip from AMS to BRU to see the tulips, etc. The insurance would reimburse for “covered” reasons like sickness, injury, death in immediate family. I am healthy and have no pre-existing conditions. I think it’s expensive, too, but Road Scholar people seem to think it’s a great deal.
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Meant to add...no, I haven’t gotten any other quotes. Not sure who to check with?
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:37 pm Road Scholar people seem to think it’s a great deal.
If Road Scholar gets a cut of the premium, for sure they will think it is a great deal. No work, no risk on their part, but they get more revenue.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 pm Meant to add...no, I haven’t gotten any other quotes. Not sure who to check with?

Do a search for travel insurance on Bogleheads. There have been several threads with people recommending companies.

Traveling overseas, it makes sense to have medical evacuation coverage. But I believe you can buy that as a standalone, without the other types of coverage.

The $611 seems high to me, assuming it is a one week trip. Does it cover airfare too?
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Skip it. If a situation comes up in your life where you have to cancel a trip and eat the cost, you will still more than likely come out ahead financially by not paying for trip cancellation insurance every time you go on vacation. The other thing to consider is if something happens to you before your balance payment is due, all you're out is the deposit.

Medical coverage and medical evacuation are low cost and cover incidences that can be catastrophic, so may be decent options depending on your health and where you're going. More here if you're interested.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:20 pm I booked a tour to the tune of about $5600 through Road Scholar.

Trip cancellation insurance is $611. I have 5 days to decide whether or not to purchase it. On most of my travel, I decline it and have been lucky so far. OTOH this is a pricey trip.

I’d love to hear some opinions. To me, $611 sounds expensive and I’m leaning toward declining. :confused
Please contact www.TripInsuranceStore.com and compare the policies they sell with Road Scholar's "offer".

TIS is a broker, but they deal with "vetted" insurers, and they are great about answering questions.
No extra charge to the traveler.

We've purchased many policies from them, and had a big claim on the first one.
Then we had a second large claim a few years later.
These were policies from Travel Insured, but there are other insurers.

Take special care about whether pre-existing medical conditions would be included, if there's even a chance of something related.
Just ask a lot of questions; they are very helpful.
(Don't just rely upon the online summaries. The "fine print" REALLY can matter.)

Good luck.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

climber2020 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:02 pm Skip it. If a situation comes up in your life where you have to cancel a trip and eat the cost, you will still more than likely come out ahead financially by not paying for trip cancellation insurance every time you go on vacation. The other thing to consider is if something happens to you before your balance payment is due, all you're out is the deposit.

Medical coverage and medical evacuation are low cost and cover incidences that can be catastrophic, so may be decent options depending on your health and where you're going. More here if you're interested.

I’m covered for medical and evacuation so not an issue. Thanks for the link. That helps. I’m leaning towards waiving. I’d hate to lose all that money in the unlikely event I’d need to cancel, but I would recover.
BigPrince

Post by BigPrince »

What are the reasons allowed for cancellation? At that price it sounds like you can for many reasons.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

I have never purchased trip cancellation insurance. Maybe I’ve been lucky.
BL

Post by BL »

We did it only for the last time we traveled. We should have searched for alternatives as it was rather expensive. Would only do it for tours rather than just flights, for instance.

It depends on your personal situation; health, age, financials, health of close family, how a loss would feel,etc. It does buy peace of mind.
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

BigPrince wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm What are the reasons allowed for cancellation? At that price it sounds like you can for many reasons.

Somewhat complex. They have what they term “covered” and “non covered” reasons. Covered includes illness, an injury that would require cancellation, a death in family—same for your traveling companion if there is one. In covered reasons, you would get a 100% refund of the trip and airfare.

Further, you are insured for “noncovered” reasons that don’t meet the criteria above. In this case, they would extend a credit not to exceed $2000 for future travel which must be taken within 15 months if you want to cancel. An example of this RS gave is you book a trip only to later find out a grandchild is planning her wedding for that timeframe, or as they put it, “any reason.”
skip30

Post by skip30 »

Recent 7-day cruise cost $3,300. Travel Guard insurance around $330, so your quote is in line. I ended up not buying.
BigPrince

Post by BigPrince »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 pm
BigPrince wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm What are the reasons allowed for cancellation? At that price it sounds like you can for many reasons.

Somewhat complex. They have what they term “covered” and “non covered” reasons. Covered includes illness, an injury that would require cancellation, a death in family—same for your traveling companion if there is one. In covered reasons, you would get a 100% refund of the trip and airfare.

Further, you are insured for “noncovered” reasons that don’t meet the criteria above. In this case, they would extend a credit not to exceed $2000 for future travel which must be taken within 15 months if you want to cancel. An example of this RS gave is you book a trip only to later find out a grandchild is planning her wedding for that timeframe, or as they put it, “any reason.”
When I travel solo, I only purchase insurance which only covers medical needs.

Based on what you told me and if I decided that cancellation was something I wanted to covered, I would find a policy that only covered the "covered" reasons you listed above and eliminate the "non-covered" clause because I don't want to pay for the hassle of a credit that expires.
Last edited by BigPrince on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Does your US health insurance cover health care outside the US? If not, a short-term int’l health insurance policy is likely the better value. Many trip cancellation insurance policies provide a health care benefit. It is often limited to $15K-30K of expenses. A good short-term int’l health insurance policy for the trip with a $1M benefit limit will likely be much lower cost than the trip cancellation insurance. Also, once you start the trip, the cancellation insurance usually no longer reimburses travel/tour/lodging costs for any subsequent termination of the trip.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:18 pm
climber2020 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:02 pm Skip it. If a situation comes up in your life where you have to cancel a trip and eat the cost, you will still more than likely come out ahead financially by not paying for trip cancellation insurance every time you go on vacation. The other thing to consider is if something happens to you before your balance payment is due, all you're out is the deposit.

I’m covered for medical and evacuation so not an issue. Thanks for the link. That helps. I’m leaning towards waiving. I’d hate to lose all that money in the unlikely event I’d need to cancel, but I would recover.
That's an interesting idea to claim $0 for the trip cost, but I'm not sure how that interact with things like pre-existing condition coverage, for example (pre-existing waivers are sometimes dependent on insuring for the "full price of the trip.")
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

Trip cancellation insurance paid off once for me. That being said, I have not bought it for several years/trips now that my VISA card provides insurance up to $5,000.00 per person, per year.

Edit to add, I suspect the $611.00 is the price if purchased through Road Scholar. You can probably do better elsewhere, without the time requirement.
Last edited by Billionaire on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Except for any medical coverage, the value of trip cancellation to you is the cost of the trip times the probability you would have to cancel. In this case the probability would have to be over 10% that you would have to cancel in order for the cancellation policy to be worthwhile. Unlikely for most people unless your specific circumstances make you think you have a greater than 10% chance on collecting on it.
Watty

Post by Watty »

You would want to read the fine print very carefully but many credit cards provide some trip cancellation insurance.

For example here is the Costco Visa card where it mentions this about halfway down the page but does not give any details.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credi ... redit-card
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Watty wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:37 pm You would want to read the fine print very carefully but many credit cards provide some trip cancellation insurance.

For example here is the Costco Visa card where it mentions this about halfway down the page but does not give any details.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credi ... redit-card
Yes, read the fine print very carefully.

One specific concern with at least some "charge card" travel insurance is that they do not cover anything related to pre-existing conditions. Just know what you are, or are not, getting.

OP might also want to browse through www.CruiseCritic.com 's sub-forum on travel insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Most of what is asked/covered there is not specific at all only to cruises.

RM
slee

Post by slee »

I bought trip insurance through a different company (RoamRight) for a Road Scholar trip a couple years ago and recovered the cost of the trip when I had to cancel due to a parental health issue. For a comp, I paid $187 for $3800 in upfront costs.
Sarah Saverdink

Post by Sarah Saverdink »

Another vote for check if your credit card offers travel insurance. Most of the airline credit cards do, as well as Costco. We do not typically purchase trip insurance. The one time we did need it, we were able to file a claim with our credit card company and received reimbursement.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Road Scholar changed it's insurance plan recently, and it has become more expensive. That is because it is "cancel for any reason" insurance. In some instances you get a refund and in others you get a credit for a future trip with RS. Not sure how it covers airfare if you make your own travel arrangements. Keep in mind that RS program come with a certain amount of coverage even if you don't purchase the add-on coverage.

I have been looking at other options. All very confusing, especially if you have never had cause to use such a policy. One thing I did notice as I researched is that air fare purchased using points is generally not covered, and I was thinking of using points.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

GerryL wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm Road Scholar changed it's insurance plan recently, and it has become more expensive. That is because it is "cancel for any reason" insurance. In some instances you get a refund and in others you get a credit for a future trip with RS. Not sure how it covers airfare if you make your own travel arrangements. Keep in mind that RS program come with a certain amount of coverage even if you don't purchase the add-on coverage.

I have been looking at other options. All very confusing, especially if you have never had cause to use such a policy. One thing I did notice as I researched is that air fare purchased using points is generally not covered, and I was thinking of using points.
About airfare using awards, check if you'd be able to cancel for a relatively small fee to "re-bank" the points.

For at least some other 3rd party travel insurance, one can include at least part of that fee in the covered expenses.
But it's not a huge amount, and then you've got the points back.
(Some programs have limits on how long the points need to be used, such as within one year, but others just put them in the pot, and as long as the account is active, the points remain available.)

Interesting that RS has CFAR coverage now. What are the terms?
The CFAR add-on for our policies allows 75% cash back, "no questions asked", if covered reasons for cancelling won't refund the full amount.

RM
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

If it is a good deal for the company, it is a bad deal for the buyers as a group.

As others have advised, check your CC coverage. I would really have to be persuaded to purchase trip cancellation insurance unless there were atypical circumstances.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

Swimmer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:20 pm I booked a tour to the tune of about $5600 through Road Scholar.

Chase Sapphire (and some other cards) provide some level of built in cancellation insurance. You might check your cc first.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Clark Howard recommends insuring through www.insuremytrip.com

read his trip and travel insurance guide here:

https://clark.com/travel/trip-travel-insurance-guide/

It's usually cheaper/better (?) to buy that way then get the add on from the flight/travel agent, etc.
Consumers should always purchase a policy independent of the cruise, tour or vacation planner. Never purchase the trip protection plan from the trip organizer. They are designed to protect only the company and not the consumer. Always pay deposits and final payments by a real credit card and never by debit card or check.
Enjoy the trip!
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 »

We are leaving in the morning for a 3.5 month trip to Australia including a 40 day cruise back. We didn't get trip insurance, it seemed really expensive.

I was a bit nervous last week when I came down with the flu. Fortunately it wasn't as bad as some people have had it, I did get the shot.

My feeling was that we could recoup most of the hotel cost but would be out airfare, a one moth apartment rental and $8k for the cruise. It would hurt, but we could afford the loss.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip!
informal guide

Post by informal guide »

a couple years ago we booked a trip that included a 5 figure adventure cruise and we independently booked expensive airfare to get there. We bought insurance. A month before the trip, the cruise line canceled the cruise because the ship was damaged. The insurance paid the entire non-refundable airfare that was now useless ( we chose to take a subsequent cruise (rather than a refund) for the value of the cruise).
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

OP here. Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. One thing I hadn’t considered was credit card. I booked it on my Costco VISA. So, since I have no unusual circumstances that might increase my odds of needing the insurance, I decided to skip it. Thanks to y’all I’m at peace with this decision!
DumpDebt

Post by DumpDebt »

Total waste of money. I've been to almost all four corners of the world and have only run into one situation where I needed travel insurance. The only people who think travel insurance is a good idea are those who get a cut if you buy it.
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

HJG0989 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 pm We are leaving in the morning for a 3.5 month trip to Australia including a 40 day cruise back.
If you'd care to post when you get back, I would love to hear what you think o the 40 day cruise back!
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
Bob-a-job

Post by Bob-a-job »

Loss of income, house or car - I can see the sense of having insurance. Makes no sense to me if you can afford a trip in the first place, then loss of the trip is no financial hardship. In all the years of travelling I have never cancelled or had any significant loss that I wished I had taken out insurance.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

DumpDebt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 am Total waste of money. I've been to almost all four corners of the world and have only run into one situation where I needed travel insurance. The only people who think travel insurance is a good idea are those who get a cut if you buy it.
Sort of agree, but as you age, trip insurance might start to make more sense. My brother and his wife have had several serious medical incidents (e.g., sudden transient global amnesia, which seems like it could be a stroke) while on cruises. They travel very high end and have been glad to have the insurance on those occasions.
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

Well, we have a big trip to Europe coming up this summer, and we bought trip insurance. Why? A few reasons--one, we're traveling with children. On past trips, we've had kids get sick--not "needs to be airlifted" sick, thank God, but it's happened to us, more than once. Secondly, our oldest daughter is joining us. We're heading out a few days after she finishes teaching for the year. If she gets slammed and they need extra snow days--certainly possible, she's in Massachusetts--she might have to cancel. We're doing a tour and it was the only time we could go. So, we got insurance that will specifically cover cancelling due to work (not all travel insurance covers this).

Now, when we traveled just the two of us, insurance wasn't on our radar, and I can see why the OP would skip it. But it does make sense, sometimes.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have never bought trip insurance. If I had a lot of medical issues, I might think differently. I think that type of insurance is almost pure profit for them. It is like buying extended warranties.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

GerryL wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:47 pm
DumpDebt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 am Total waste of money. I've been to almost all four corners of the world and have only run into one situation where I needed travel insurance. The only people who think travel insurance is a good idea are those who get a cut if you buy it.
Sort of agree, but as you age, trip insurance might start to make more sense. My brother and his wife have had several serious medical incidents (e.g., sudden transient global amnesia, which seems like it could be a stroke) while on cruises. They travel very high end and have been glad to have the insurance on those occasions.
It's obviously a trade-off.
But yes, exactly, for those who know they are more likely (than average or other comparison) to have a medical problem that might cause a cancellation, disruption, or need for care overseas, then insurance makes a lot of sense.
That would include us.
Interestingly, at least in the USA (I understand it is different in some other places), although most 3rd party travel insurance rates increase with age, there is no medical underwriting. One must be "able to travel" on the day the insurance is started. So that obviously means it is a "better deal" for those with "medical conditions" than those who barely know how to spell "hospital" :wink:

MedJetAssist is different. Starting at age 75, they do have what is apparently modest medical underwriting. We'll learn more about that (too) soon.

As for the argument that if you can afford the vacation, you can afford the loss, well, yes.
But we would rather not have to pay a second time to take a trip that needed to be cancelled. The time that happened, we found it surprisingly comforting, while dealing with everything else, to know that we would *not* have to "pay again" later, that we'd have that money back in our pockets to use again.

But obviously, different people can have very different levels of risk aversion, and "insurance" certainly falls in that category.
There's no right or wrong answer, *except* to make certain that you have coverage for medical care overseas, no matter the source of the medical insurance (employer, private, Medicare ADD-ON ["Medicare only" does NOT cover overseas medical care, with possible rare exceptions], or travel insurance). Not having that coverage is something that could not only bankrupt someone, but could interfere with getting life-saving care.
Trip "cancellation" insurance, without need for medical, is a different critter.

RM
gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 »

Skip it.

I take my chances rather than buy every fear the insurance industry is selling.The only insurance I buy is for covering events that can significantly affect my life.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

gotester2000 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:31 pm Skip it.

I take my chances rather than buy every fear the insurance industry is selling.The only insurance I buy is for covering events that can significantly affect my life.
Good point. It is kind of like insuring a $5k car against theft/collision.

I'll also add that cruises typically have cancellation policies that allow you to get a full refund 90-120 days out. That may not be useful if you get sick right before the cruise, but if you broke your leg or needed a major non-emergency surgery or something like that it might be useful.
scoreboard

Post by scoreboard »

I bought trip insurance for the first time last year. I was taking a Alaskan cruise with my wife and son and we had never cruised before. I had a friend who had taken a cruise prior and ended up with a painful foot infection. The cost to just see a cruise ship doctor ran him over $150. He also had to have a minor procedure that involved removing skin, draining his foot and getting antibiotics. His total cost was over $1000. Your health insurance most likely will not reimburse you for this. He had trip insurance, submitted the bill an it was all paid for with no issue. So, I bought the trip insurance for well under $300 for our cruise knowing none of us have taken a cruise and I thought there was a chance one of us may end up with motion sickness and need to see the doctor...

None of us got sick and we didn't need to see the ship doctor, which was nice. However, we live in Houston and couldn't get back because of Hurricane Harvey for 5 days. 5 days of hotels, rental cars, meals, groceries, etc... Our costs came to about $1700 and it was all paid by our policy. I bought the policy thru travelguard. We enjoyed the cruise and I have booked another cruise leaving from Venice this summer and going thru the greek isles. We are also going to extend our trip and travel some thru italy. I estimated the trip at $10,000 and I bought a policy from travelguard for $288 total for the 3 of us. I think it's worth it for this kind of trip. I don't generally buy it for simpler trips (a week in florida, etc...).

Anyhow, just my thoughts. The policy they are trying to sell you sounds ridiculously expensive to me.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Having just gone through this process with an upcoming family cruise, I soon learned that the devil is in the details:

If you want "trip insurance", i.e. coverage for medical expenses, evacuation if needed, lost bags, late flights, etc, that's one thing.

If you want "trip cancellation insurance" that can be a different beast: that means that between now and the trip you cancel for a valid (in their eyes) reason. With the cruise line we dealt with, such cancellation for your own reason was NOT part of the coverage. Moreover, if you cancelled for a medical problem that was pre-existing, that too was excluded from coverage. We opted for a more inclusive policy there, as there were specific health issues involved.

Read the fine print. You can be sure the company will, when the time comes to collect.
dbr

Post by dbr »

obgraham wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:59 pm Having just gone through this process with an upcoming family cruise, I soon learned that the devil is in the details:

If you want "trip insurance", i.e. coverage for medical expenses, evacuation if needed, lost bags, late flights, etc, that's one thing.

If you want "trip cancellation insurance" that can be a different beast: that means that between now and the trip you cancel for a valid (in their eyes) reason. With the cruise line we dealt with, such cancellation for your own reason was NOT part of the coverage. Moreover, if you cancelled for a medical problem that was pre-existing, that too was excluded from coverage. We opted for a more inclusive policy there, as there were specific health issues involved.

Read the fine print. You can be sure the company will, when the time comes to collect.
Yes, "cancel for any reason" insurance is a special animal and even that one may be hinged with contingencies as well as be expensive. A lesson is to be very, very careful when purchasing anything that is not refundable and even more careful when purchasing something that is refundable regarding conditions.
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences and advice. This insurance is strictly trip cancellation and the reasons for such cancellation. I am fully covered for anything medically related.

Based on your comments, I have decided not to purchase. As at least one poster said, if I can afford to take the trip, I can afford the loss in the unlikely event I’d need to cancel. Your comments were very helpful. Thanks so much!
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Many credit card companies have insurance for free, I believe Citicard has it. Check with your providers.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Derby

Post by Derby »

Another +1 to https://tripinsurancestore.com . The website looks straight out of 1990 geocities, :D but Steve, the owner is great and will not hesitate to tell you if you shouldn't buy trip insurance. I never buy trip insurance, but I'm planning a pretty pricey trip, and he's been very helpful with his advice.
Carpe Diem.
ArchibaldGraham

Post by ArchibaldGraham »

As someone who once upon a time worked for a travel company, I can say that travel insurance was by far the most profitable product we sold. But you should do your research and decide what makes sense for you.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Timely Article

Are these firms really that bad ? My wife did get a refund due to a death in the family once, but the proof is in your own control and this article confirmed that worked well. What they challenge is when cancelation is at the discretion of the airline etc, such as die to a storm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html

What to do ? Any of these better ? Dont buy or spend more on “any reason” vs listed perils ?